Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR at E3 2012

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We stopped by EA's booth at E3 2012 to check out what BioWare has in store for Star Wars: The Old Republic in 2012. Read on to find out what we learned!

New Planet: Makeb

Unlike Denova, Makeb is an actual full-blown new planet that players will be able to run around on. BioWare’s Dallas Dickinson described Makeb as a ‘massive’ planet full of hours and hours of new storyline content. Makeb is an entirely new planet created for Star Wars: The Old Republic, so BioWare basically has free reign as far as Makeb’s lore goes. Makeb’s content will center on the storyline of the rise of the Hutt Cartel. In short, the Hutts are making a play for control of the galaxy and Makeb is where it all begins. Players of both the Empire and Republic factions will land on Makeb in an effort to squash the efforts of the Hutts before they really take form.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR at E3 2012.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

When I first saw the Cathar as a quest giver I said to myself it should have been in game.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Theres nothing really left to say except apparently they were the joke of E3 most people were silent during their crappy presentation.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I truly don't understand why they don't fix Ilum...Stop adding warzones, fix open world PvP.  Revamp Ilum and you would have me rejoining.  I can't understand why they have this giant, empty, crappy, pvp area (same with lawless sands) why they don't revamp it..?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

All those bright neon glowing colors during battles. Looks like a bunch of ravers at Electric Daisy Carnival

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

I don't understand why they add content when they know they need to fix the current issues in the game. Adding content won't make people return. People will just assume that it will be crappy like llum. Fix the current issues first before you add new content k cool.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Jonoku

I don't understand why they add content when they know they need to fix the current issues in the game. Adding content won't make people return. People will just assume that it will be crappy like llum. Fix the current issues first before you add new content k cool.

Exactly.

SWTOR has a bad rep for being "unfinished" and buggy, you would think they would want to change people's perception of the game first by sorting the original game before adding more content that has a pretty high chance of adding even more issues. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am pretty sure i seen batman in that video..

Yeah check it out at 0.50 it is indeed batman..

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Adding content and addressing existing issues aren't mutually exclusive. This is a very common misconception about game development. The fact of the matter is you can't get people excited to come back or check out your game with bug fixes. Can you imagine BioWare releasing a flashy trailer all about fixing bugs or addressing some other issues? Adding additional features and content is important to any live game. Fixing bugs and addressing balance issues can (and do) happen at the same time.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Well apparently you can't copy talent.. They tried to be similar to wow, but are still far from its quality, heck its even far from rift quality..

Did anyone else notice the lists Ea release showing the top 10 games which they prioritize more..
    Think Madden was #1, and swtor being #9, tiger woods I think was #8..

What puzzles me is Ea wants a good size of the mmo market but aren't willing to commit to it.. Its simple really, fix things faster along with adding a good amount.. They could learn from Trion
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Will those turrets be usable?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by Xstatic912

What puzzles me is Ea wants a good size of the mmo market but aren't willing to commit to it. ...

Sorry, but they "commited" something like $700 or $800 million when they bought Bioware and an undisclosed amount for developing SWTOR. EA even stated that it's the largest budget they ever spent on the development of a game.

That's a pretty good "commitment" if you ask me ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

suprised they even had a presentation for star wars the old republic

they must be making it look like they care about it.maybe they forgot and didnt have there tiger woods golf presentation availible?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

but why is batman in a starwars game?

Originally posted by MikeB

Adding content and addressing existing issues aren't mutually exclusive. This is a very common misconception about game development. The fact of the matter is you can't get people excited to come back or check out your game with bug fixes. Can you imagine BioWare releasing a flashy trailer all about fixing bugs or addressing some other issues? Adding additional features and content is important to any live game. Fixing bugs and addressing balance issues can (and do) happen at the same time.

Fixing content though, which is different then bugs - Again, Ilum, They have made no mention of it in months, it's a graveyard and it was one of the most promising aspects of end game content.  If they revamped it instead of adding all this fluff...

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

theres alot more wrong with swtor's pvp then just ilum

so i doubt revamping ilum will do anything to swtors pvp.chances are,the same bunch who ruined ilum the first time would probably ruin it the 2nd,and they'll just be back to where they started

my advice is,if you truly care about the pvp in swtor.your wasting your time and should just quit now,theres mmos out there that are leaps and bounds ahead of swtor's pvp.which is sad considering one of the things they hyped up about was there pvp team being really good

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Batman...lol. I had to see for myself. Sure as heck. There he is. The caped crusader at 0:50...SWTOR is DCUO.
  • warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Sadly I quit playing. I just couldn't stay interested. The main reason I left WoW is because I was bored with the end game content. Dailys get old FAST. I was hoping SWTOR would be different, but once I hit 50, I found out it was exactly the same. "Oh, now you're 50! Time to grind a ton of quests, dailies, and (heroics)."

I wanted TOR to bring something new to the MMO world. What a let down.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Michael Bitton:

" I’ll take what I can get on this front, but I’m really hoping to hear about the ‘super secret’ space project BioWare has in the works before the year’s up!"

-------------------------------

Where did you get that time frame from?

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Just out of curiosity, what's exactly wrong with Ilum besides it not being played much?

Seems like the regular battleground area to me, with objectives, but then persistent.

But I haven't played it. Anybody here that can tell the details in mechanics what's wrong with it, or what should be fixed in it?

Originally posted by zinger71
    Batman...lol. I had to see for myself. Sure as heck. There he is. The caped crusader at 0:50...SWTOR is DCUO.

Lol. Not really Batman. But yeah, it has some of that look. Looked pretty cool, actually.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Cool, so... we will see all this in December at the earliest?

Still waiting for Pazaak. Would love to have it over 2 raids and 2 warzones.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Just out of curiosity, what's exactly wrong with Ilum besides it not being played much?

Seems like the regular battleground area to me, with objectives, but then persistent.

But I haven't played it. Anybody here that can tell the details in mechanics what's wrong with it, or what should be fixed in it?

Originally posted by zinger71

Lol. Not really Batman. But yeah, it has some of that look. Looked pretty cool, actually.

Ilum had numerous problems, I played a lot and watched the situation unfold as a complete disaster.

Initially at release you would get your daily/weely done simply by capping the points.  the points consiste of three ships that fire lasers that do no damage or anything (eye candy) it takes roughly 1 minute to cap the point, initially sith would stand on one side and jedi on the other simply swapping capping, there was no point in killing eachother, no point in anything other then swapping caps to finish your quest as quick as possible.

Then Bioware tried to remedy this by requiring you to kill the other side to finish your daily weekly and added valor for killing people.  This resulted in organized mass kill swapping, yes, you would line up with 100 other people on your server and let the other side wipe you out then swap doing this - people gained valor incredibly fast, and finished thier quest fast.  The cap points gave a bonus which was constantly controlled by sith because they outnumbered most rebels 5 to 1.

Then bioware tried to remedy this by added a kill countdown, but by then it was too late and population begain to plummet.  Do you have any idea how long and hard it was to get 100 kills or more to finish your weekly?  It took hours and hours and hours just to find other players. 

To rememdy this Bioware simply did away with any and all quest related to PvP on Ilum, the capture points or anything related.

I'm not getting in details because there are TONS of pots on reccomendations to fix Ilum on the main forums (most of which were ignored by ToR staff).

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Michael Bitton:

" I’ll take what I can get on this front, but I’m really hoping to hear about the ‘super secret’ space project BioWare has in the works before the year’s up!"

-------------------------------

Where did you get that time frame from?

I wasn't saying the project was coming out by the end of the year. I was saying I was hoping to hear about it before the year is up. :)

As for all the comments on Ilum: BioWare isn't ignoring the fix posts or even ignoring Ilum altogether. Ilum is being redesigned entirely. BioWare didn't create Ilum expecting it to suck -- it just did. This was a curveball thrown into their production schedule, which means it may take a while before it shows up in better form.

Content such as Makeb, Ancient Hypergates, HK51 (who has been in the files since beta and has even had his dialogue datamined months ago), the new Operation, have all been part of a live production schedule for a whle. They're just telling us about these items officially now. Naturally, this stuff is going to appear in the game sooner than something like Ilum, which was only recently deprecated in order to focus on redesigning it (spending time putting bandaids on something fundamentally flawed just doesn't work).

Anyone wanting to give BioWare flak for basically just not having Open World PvP at the moment would be in the right to do so, but to expect them to abandon or re-prioritize their entire production schedule to shift to Ilum is a bit unreasonable and largely pointless. Development takes time, that's just the reality of the situation. I, for one, hope BioWare takes that time this time around to get their Open World PvP content right.

With that said, as a huge fan of Open World PvP I definitely share your pain in basically not having many options for it in TOR. However, given the reality of development, I'm not going to be upset any time BioWare announces new content or features that don't consist of a revamped Ilum or some other Open World PvP addition. If that's all you're about, I definitely don't suggest waiting around for it to materialize. My recommendation would be to get your Open World PvP fix elsewhere until there's news on that front (if you aren't doing this already!).

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I like SWTOR; I do.

I justify (rationalize?) paying the monthly sub by telling myself that I'm playing this game as much as I'd be playing WoW -- and that (apart from WoW's ever-so-wonderful LFG dungeon finder) -- I'd be experiencing about as much multiplayer content in either game, which is to say practically none.

However, the only thing that Bioware is promising here that is interesting to me is the new planet and the new companion. It's not much, but it's something.

I really think Bioware needs to wake up and smell the coffee soon. They need to (1) fix (interplanetary) travel in this game so it isn't so mind-numbingly boring, loading-screen-intensive, and tedious; (2) either solofy the planetary heroic content or institute a cross-server LFG mechanism for heroics and flashpoints; and (3) make the cost of things (such as skill training, etc.) generally less punitive in this game.

Much as I'd like to see SWTOR succeed, I am not confident, based on what I see coming down the pike here, that Bioware even begins to understand what the issues in this game really are or how to fix them.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The most exciting thing I heard was f2p up to level 15.

What could they have done to generate excitement?  Announced space game ala Jump to Light Speed or Tie Fighter.  Add an exciting new race...like a droid race where you could switch out parts you craft, loot, or get as rewards to customize your character.  They are very boring in the creativity department.