Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think our eyes should be on EverQuest 3

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

I can't wait to get in there and grind and spend money in their cash shop. It'll be a whole new experience.image

Once upon a time....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I truly hope you are correct. We need more games like GW2 out there pushing the envelope and making changes to the genre so players who actually CARE about how their gameplay experience is will get their fill for their payment.

I sincerely hope they don't take the easy route and try to duplicate WoW or SWTOR in any way shape or form and actually makes combat fun for the game and i hope the eliminate the loading screens so many other titles use today.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I hardly think there's any point in making an EverQuest 3, I didn't like EverQuest 2 at all, no matter what specs you have it was nothing but a memory hog, even if I have a computer that can do most MMO games well it still goes to the turn of the worst.

Now what I did like about EverQuest 2 is the idea of faction betrayal, for example I play as a Death Knight Lizard girl but I want to make the character into a Paladin so I have to betay, but...if you do this as low as level 10, problem is if you do this betrayal then you will get thrown into a dangerous game of cat and mouse where you got to be careful not to aggro high level mobs and guards, I mean how on Earth are you suppose to do faction quests without getting murdered by high level mobs?

Another problem is it's one of those where the fuck do I go type of games, there's no WoWhead type website for EverQuest 2. I seriously doubt anyone plays EverQuest 2 now, it's a really poorly done game, it's hard to believe this game came out the same year as WoW.

Of course I don't like WoW myself but unlike EQ2, WoW became the most successful subscription based MMORPG in history even if WoW is now a dying horse itself. EQ2 was pretty much dead from the beginning.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Odds are it'll be a stale old rehash of every game that has ever preceded it.  I gave up basing my expectations of what ANY computer game would turn out like based on concept art 20 years ago.

Actually that's an early screenshot of Freeport not "concept art" the OP didn't do their homework properly. There is also a screenshot of Greater Faydark and a human face.

You can find the screenshots (and concept art) here: http://eq2wire.com/category/eqnext/

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

EqNext is not the answer. sorry

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Its one of the only upcoming MMOs that is even slightly interesting, and that's only because of its lineage.

I will say that a seamless Norrath (EQOA) was the most interesting world to explore out of all the MMOs I've played. It pretty much killed zone-loaded worlds for me. Its a huge reason I picked WoW over EQ2 back in 2004, and why I've never been able to get into EQ2 since.

FFXI would have had the best virtual world ever imo if not for zone-loading.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Kexin

I love EQ to death but unless EQ 3 uses nextgen gameplay mechanics (action based) then its doomed to fail. I'm not asking for a casual Hello Kitty experience here, the game should be as hardcore and punishing as the old EQ 1 but the holy trinity tank/heals/CC mechanics is dead now. You can no longer launch a game with that kind of gameplay and still be successfull.

Dear god no. Please keep that GW2 zerg fest spam crap away from EQ.   EQ does very well with the trinity, and I'm sure SoE aren't stupid enough to get rid of it. By the time EQ comes out, people will already be bored of GW2 and their so called "innovations". 

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/195/521/1955213_300.jpg

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    ... I seriously doubt anyone plays EverQuest 2 now ...

Thanks for the laugh.

... Oh, you didn't mean it as joke?

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by Larsa

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    ... I seriously doubt anyone plays EverQuest 2 now ...

Thanks for the laugh.

... Oh, you didn't mean it as joke?

i think what they meant was anyone below lvl95(or whatever it is now) or not in an end game raiding guild. I assure you eq2 lvl 1-80 is dead they should just let you start at 80 or make everything pre lvl 80 soloable and 5x exp

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

If they make EQNext like Vanilla EQ I would agree.

I am aslo waiting for Pathfinder online and EOC. Otherwise not much to look forward to.

I am hope EQNext brings back true MMOs!

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

SOE is one of those companies that make me think "oh that's cool, I'll sign up" and then they get hacked the next day or release something akin to the NGE. I know they mean well, but they simply can't deliver consistently. It's completely hit or miss.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There's one problem with an everquest 3.  SOE.  I'm sorry, but i don't care if a game thier behind is the greatest of all time.  I wont' even download a demo or free trial.  SOE has the worst track record ever.  I have no clue how they're still in business, but I won't ever touch anything associated with SOE.  I dont' even have a PS3 anymore...Sony is a no no now

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I took my eyes off of $OE years ago.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I love EQ to death but unless EQ 3 uses nextgen gameplay mechanics (action based) then its doomed to fail. I'm not asking for a casual Hello Kitty experience here, the game should be as hardcore and punishing as the old EQ 1 but the holy trinity tank/heals/CC mechanics is dead now. You can no longer launch a game with that kind of gameplay and still be successfull.

If thats what you require then it's not an MMORPG that you want you are asking for an arena game.

The whole concept of MMO especially fantasy is that you build your charachter up in a virtual world and play him; If its all about player skill then Massive worlds are just not required but more of a sandbox.

A well put together game will always be succesful sadly most developers cannot be bothered.

I would play UO with new content and updated as well as EQ and AC1 , new worlds are always fun but a game with longevity and the chance for a community to develop in my eyes what next generation should be all about.

Focus on PvP / Endgame / Action based twitch skills (Maybe this is not what you mean i may be reading this wrong) / Automation of core features should all be removed as they are not what is core to MMORPGS.

What is core is Gameplay/Community and Longevity ...

Gameplay should at least Cover; Combat /Trade /Politics/Housing,Shop with some level of complexity .... Not auto craft and not auto kill....

What some people refer to as Next Gen in my view means not the same Genre. Next Gen in my view can just be an approach which delivers a Great Game. With all the New Tech hidden behind the scenes.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Messremb

There is a number of people that are related professionally to SoE and as such post through nicknames information in both EQ2Flames and MMOfrindge, to name the 2 they are most active on. Usually, what hints they release end up to be quite the case. And word was once, only two versions for EQ Next made it to Smed's office..one was a multi million (50+) EQ 3 version, the other a <10 million farmville / social app version, facebook heavy. Second was approved.

Word has yet to change. Either offcially, or unofficially. I stick to that till someone proves them all wrong. And sticking to that means goodbye EQ NExt as far as i'm concerned. Until further notice.

yep the unofficial word is, that it is a facebook gane for PS3.....official word is it is made with the same engine as planetside 2, I know you can get alot of diffrent products with the same general engine, but for one I cant imagine it to be a browser based game, but SOE already got a facebook game, that could have been their sub 10 mio project, but certainly isnt called EQ3.

as for the actual OP, am looking much forward to see what they make of EQ3, but would hardly call me excited because of their words, SOE always try to push the hype to the max, so the few things they have said about this game, doesnt excite me...will be looking out for new info when it come, but looks like EQnext is on the backburner untill planetside is released...cant imagine any other explanation to it, when they released abit of art one year, that make people think they will give afew teasers each year to come, but instead goes completely silent about the game....one of many great moves by SOE

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Gravarg
    There's one problem with an everquest 3.  SOE.  I'm sorry, but i don't care if a game thier behind is the greatest of all time.  I wont' even download a demo or free trial.  SOE has the worst track record ever.  I have no clue how they're still in business, but I won't ever touch anything associated with SOE.  I dont' even have a PS3 anymore...Sony is a no no now

SOE is fantastic for MMOs when you compare them to a company like EA. Even more when you read that EA is ranked worst customer service in the world.

Both EA and Bank of America made it to the final round of the tournament on the strength of their willingness to nickel-and-dime their customers. While Bank of America charges various fees for consumers to use their checking accounts and other services, EA does the same for consumers who want to play videogames in their entirety. The company has begun to release downloadable extra content along with their games, already complete, that can only be played if an extra fee is paid. EA and other game companies have also begun to make exclusive deals with retailers such as GameStop and Best Buy that offer in-game items to only those customers who pre-order the game with those specific retailers. While “Worst Company in America” is certainly subjective, I have to agree that EA has taken some big strides toward the dark side by putting DLC directly on game discs that can only be unlocked through another payment. That, and that fact the Katy Perry version of The Sims 3 exists is enough to justify the title for me.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

What's that you say, EQ3?

I think anyone writing off SOE is foolish, they have had 1 big fault & that is not advertising & promoting their games anywhere near enough in the past.

Some EQ3 character art: http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/eqnscreen1.jpg

EQ3 Character art

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Skuz

What's that you say, EQ3? I think anyone writing off SOE is foolish, they have had 1 big fault & that is not advertising & promoting their games anywhere near enough in the past. Some EQ3 character art: http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/eqnscreen1.jpgEQ3 Character art

Their other big fault was partnering up with LucasArts to do anything. Pity SWG wasn't an original IP that didn't have some entity like LA calling all the shots, it would have been a completely different game.

Seriously, how many failed MMOs is LA going to be a part of before developers realize they are toxic?
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by Messremb

There is a number of people that are related professionally to SoE and as such post through nicknames information in both EQ2Flames and MMOfrindge, to name the 2 they are most active on. Usually, what hints they release end up to be quite the case. And word was once, only two versions for EQ Next made it to Smed's office..one was a multi million (50+) EQ 3 version, the other a <10 million farmville / social app version, facebook heavy. Second was approved.

Word has yet to change. Either offcially, or unofficially. I stick to that till someone proves them all wrong. And sticking to that means goodbye EQ NExt as far as i'm concerned. Until further notice.

Everyone Knows this has been officially Debunked. And those who dont can just look at this from the end of last year.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

funny you say that cause that's my biggest complaint about GW2.  I like my trinity.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Sony is Still in business because their track record is false, Yes they have made a few mistakes, EVERY MMO Company...Nay EVERY Company in the world has. But They are still the best at what they do and the bad rep they get for games like Vanguard, or MxO or SWG is because of uneducated people spreading propaganda. Vanguard was launched by Sigil before it was finished cuz they ran out of money. SOE Bought it, fixed it as best it could and is the only reason any of you got to play it at all. Same with MxO. SWG yea they launched the NGE, but what people who are so quick to blame dont care to research is that any change to that game was dictated and demanded by Lucas Arts per CONTRACT, including but not limited to the shut down of SWG. They run 2 of the best PvE MMO's on the market EQ and EQ2. Most successful no, but best PvE hands down.

Sony is Still in business because the smart people who enjoy their awesome games, know better than the fools who spread propaganda and are just the stupid vocal minority. Plain and Simple.

Before anyone blames someone for anything look at shit companies like EA, look at Blizzard with their shitty launches of Diablo 3 and their RMAH Money grab, Hell Look at MoP.

These companies stay afloat and are far shittier than SOE. Blizzard makes billions a year off WoW, yet any time a feature is requested their excuse. Oh we dont have the money to do that.  SOE makes shit compared to them and puts out plenty of features WoW couldnt dream of putting out because of its greedy corporate umbrella. WoW is a great game, it just has poor handling.

Before you say something as ignorant as I dont understand how they are still in business, look at the world we live in, and do your homework.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'm keeping an eye out for it, but i've been pretty disappointed with the way EQ2 has developed over the years. It makes me wonder what they're aiming for EQ Next to be like.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Why not?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Hedeon looks like EQnext is on the backburner untill planetside is released...cant imagine any other explanation to it,

during the last 6 months SOE moved the two Lead programmers from both EQ (Steve Klug) and EQ2 (Greg Spence) over to EQNext

http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/07/zoltaroth-steps-up-as-lead-programmer-of-everquest-ii-rothgar-heads-to-eqnext/

http://blog.gregsplace.com/2012/02/moving-on-to-next-great-thing.html

SOE is being quiet about EQ3 -- just like Blizzard is being quiet about Titan

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Saryhl

<snip>

Sony is Still in business because the smart people who enjoy their awesome games, know better than the fools who spread propaganda and are just the stupid vocal minority. Plain and Simple.

Way to toot your own horn.  Just because you say someone is smart, doesn't mean they are.  Oh, and the "stupid vocal minority" are rightfully critical of the craptastic downward spiral EQ2 has seen in the last 2 years because of Smedley bringing in Dave Georgeson.  He built up FreeRealms, then was brought in to make EQ2 F2P, and NOW..Dave is working on EQNext from the ground up, so its going to a trashy, yet beautiful, Cash Shop-centric money grab like everything else he's touched.

These companies stay afloat and are far shittier than SOE. Blizzard makes billions a year off WoW, yet any time a feature is requested their excuse. Oh we dont have the money to do that.  SOE makes shit compared to them and puts out plenty of features WoW couldnt dream of putting out because of its greedy corporate umbrella. WoW is a great game, it just has poor handling.

Which features, pray tell?  Shader 3.0?  Dungeon Finder?  Battlegrounds? the Arena?  All are useless, broken, or completely abandoned.  Or, maybe you are talking about the recently over-hyped SOEmote?  In case you missed the memo, Dave's M.O. is to spin a tale of greatness for everything he pushes forward, then once it launches it is bugged, broken and joins all the rest of it.  "Plenty of features" does not mean quality, just quantity, and Dave certainly is a master at pumping garbage out.

Before you say something as ignorant as I dont understand how they are still in business, look at the world we live in, and do your homework.

I'm pretty sure I know who needs to do their homework here.