Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questionable sever transfer information

13»

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Transfers are now live but so far they are a joke. Only 4 servers listed as available to transfer from on the US servers so far.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

<< Transfers are now live but so far they are a joke. Only 4 servers listed as available to transfer from on the US servers so far.  >>

Wow...  I'm sure they're starting conservatively but that is a VERY conservative and underwhwelming list. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Transfers are now live but so far they are a joke. Only 4 servers listed as available to transfer from on the US servers so far.

I counted nine in North American and nine in Europe.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by ktanner3

When they first brought it online there were only 4 US ones and 5 EU ones, they added a few more later.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

When they first brought it online there were only 4 US ones and 5 EU ones, they added a few more later.

Which is exactly what they said they would do.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Trol1

I mean I'm sorry but I assume that ANY gamer is mentally capable enough to make the decision whether he wants to play on a "healthy" server or on a "dying" server.

You must not get out much. I assume that most gamers have the mental acuity of a turnip.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

So it went from 9 total servers this morning to 18 out of the 214. 6 p.m. EST and no more additions have been made. Hopefully they get around sometime this week for the other 80%-90% of the servers that could benefit from said transfer. I really wonder if they are waiting till the end of summer for the server merge or if they have the gall to wait till near their first anniversary (due to PR).

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

All one has to do is look at the way they are handling the transfers to realize they don't have a clue how to comunicate with their customers.

It has already been a disaster, they had to stop the transfers due to bugs.  One has to wonder what all servers are going to be origina and destination.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

As usual they managed to find the most complicated, intransparent and aggravating way to try solving one problem by adding another on top of it!

Epic. >.<

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73

It does suck that they're not offering guild transfers, but if you're all on the same server anyway, wouldn't you all have the option to move to one server only? That would make it a bit easier....but still far from ideal. I really wouldn't want to be a guild leader trying to organise a guild move, strikes me as being about as easy as herding cats. 

I hope that's something they'll address further down the line. 

If the guild leaders have any organizational skills they will pick a server and send a mass mail message to the members stating where the guild is moving to. Our guild has an actual website and our leader constantly updates it along with messages waiting for us on a pop up screen the moment we log in.  I think it's better this way because not everyone will agree of where to move and they should have the freedom to go where they want to go.

I was thinking more about things like the Guild Bank - it's not all that clear how that's going to work. To quote from the site: "For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service."

There's nothing in there about the contents of the bank - so that's an open question. Imagine having to divvy up Guild Bank contents among members and then getting everyone to transfer, and then recouping everything....yeah, even with people I trust, that would not be fun. Someone's transfer is delayed for whatever reason and there's a panic because they had some Guild Bank stuff on their character...

I'm not loooking to move servers, but I'm an officer in an active 100+ player guild, with a bank chock-full of shinies that we'd want to move too. Yes, GMs and officers should be organized, and saying "Hey let's all vote on a move: Yes or No" is easily organized, it's after that that the headaches can start. 

Obviously if CS can transfer the contents of the bank too it'll all be much simpler, but only time will tell if that'll be the case. Forgive me for being cynical about it! 

From the quote, yes, I think CS will access the bank guild, "take stock of it", and then just transfer it all over to the new guild.

But obviously the safest way - if you don't trust SWTOR CS to do things right, is to have every guild member take their stuff out of the bank and then gather again on the new server with the new guild and a new guild bank to fill. ;-)

Yep that would probably be easiest.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

As for the name: if your character "imadumbblonde" already exists on that server you'll be asked to rename him/her, so your "imadumblonde" could be turned into "imablondbimbo" ;-)

- special characters make that a non issue for most

Legacy names are apparently the same i.e. if available you can have it, otherwise you need to come up with a new one. - that would be a bigger deal for me

- again special characters allow you to maintain the word.  I'm not sure if they allow special characters in legacy names

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by erictlewis

All one has to do is look at the way they are handling the transfers to realize they don't have a clue how to comunicate with their customers.

It has already been a disaster, they had to stop the transfers due to bugs.  One has to wonder what all servers are going to be origina and destination.

They didn't actually stop transfers yesterday - I was able to transfer characters at various times all night yesterday - they just stopped opening up more servers to the service and sent us a patch last night. 

The "disaster" is that they waited until <1 week before releasing the service to tell players anything about it and what they did tell us led us to believe that many if not most would have transfers available yesterday (or at least a full list of origin/destination servers with a timetable).  Instead we got a very short list of servers and assurances that it would be updated over the span of "days and not weeks" so we should keep checking the site (which wasn't actually updated properly when new servers were first added to the transfer list).  Most players still don't know if they're an origin or a destination and that's very frustrating.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Fennris
    Originally posted by erictlewis

They didn't actually stop transfers yesterday - I was able to transfer characters at various times all night yesterday - they just stopped opening up more servers to the service and sent us a patch last night. 

The "disaster" is that they waited until <1 week before releasing the service to tell players anything about it and what they did tell us led us to believe that many if not most would have transfers available yesterday (or at least a full list of origin/destination servers with a timetable).  Instead we got a very short list of servers and assurances that it would be updated over the span of "days and not weeks" so we should keep checking the site (which wasn't actually updated properly when new servers were first added to the transfer list).  Most players still don't know if they're an origin or a destination and that's very frustrating.

I agree....keeping folks hanging with uncertainty isnt cool. I would like to know where my characters are going to end up, even if it takes a week or so to have it done.

BW keeps shooting themselves in the foot. I understand the same folks working on WAR are now here, but that is why you have leadership over them. I bet if they could do it again, they would take a mulligan on a number of decisions made the past yr.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.