Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Gold farmers destroy Diablo 3 real money market in a day.

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Bottom line is that Blizzard has created free profit from the farming market, like a tax. And for people who want to buy "legit" items, Blizz will take their money too!

Win x 2 situation for Blizz, bravo, well played. The only people who actually lose are the asain farmers and semi-competitive gamers. Well, some scammer lose out aswell but no one cares about scammers anyway.

Don't forget the gamers that have to suffer through lowered stats / drop rates / equip levels because of the AH system. I'd say they lose something in this too.

• Asuran24Asuran24 St. pual, MNPosts: 517Member
    Originally posted by Laross
    Originally posted by dotdotdash
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

People are missing the point.

The RMAH was never intended to allow items to be sold at "reasonable" margins. You just have to look at the drop rates in the game, coupled with the fee system on the RMAH and the cap on BNet funds, to realise that the RMAH itself was never designed to allow people to sell items for high prices in the majority of cases.

Basically, the RMAH was designed to disrupt the item market that would have existed without it. Blizzard don't want people buying the rarest items in the game for $100-$200 from a third party company. They don't want that situation to exist for a number of reasons. One thing that was clear was that they realised that if they allowed the RMAH to facilitate such large transactions, the third party sellers could still function (and prosper) as much as they did in D3; they would be able to undercut those figures AND they would be selling more through the attention to RMT drawn by the RMAH. That's not a situation that Blizzard were likely to EVER allow to happen.

The only way to deal with that sort of problem is to saturate the market to the point where item prices are so low, there is nothing to be gained from trying to undercut them. Set drop rates relatively high, ensuring a healthy and high flow through for even the most rare of items, which drives down the prices on the RMAH and leaves no room for the dupers and TPRMT companies to undercut the RMAH = profit, and a massive victory.

It's far, far, far easier than battling them with Warden 2, as well.

Blizzard have, in a really inspired move, ensured that there is no real third party RMT market in Diablo 3 to speak of. EVERY transaction that happens in the game may well only get Blizzard 15-50c a pop, but when ALL of the transactions in the RMT market are happening on the RMAH - because they've left no alternative - they're still going to be making a HELL of a lot form it. And with item prices so low, they will surely have attracted a lot of people to part with their money than would have been the case without such a move.

If you think for an instant that they are trying to discourage the gold farming industry, then it is you who have missed the point. Diablo 3 is a gold farmer's paradise!

Did you even read my post? >.>

Yes, and it really makes me think you have no comprehension of how many items the gold farmers have farmed and will farm... of tgey have to sell 17 billion items a week for a penny each, they got that shit covered. It's called slave labor.

I don't think you actually understand what you're saying, or how ridiculous you sound.

I KNOW the RMT market; I WORKED in the RMT market. I know what the conditions are like in the shops in China where farmers work. I haven't been myself, but I know a great many people who have. Most RMT companies pay their workers MORE money on average than, for example, Apple's suppliers pay the people who make your iPhone (and they don't have to put up suicide nets to keep them alive). What do you have to say about Apple's suppliers? Nothing.

You have no idea what you are talking about, so why talk about it? I get that it makes you angry, but that's no excuse for ignorance.

speaking of ingorance, slave labor is still slave labor, it doesn't matter how its spun.

Wait how is tht slave labor? They get paid (well by most accounts) even being able to live off what they can make. They are actually treated pretty well compared to other workers in the work market in the area, and they do not have to do that form of work IE forced to do it. Anyone actually brings real hard proof they use slave labor sure we can talk, but till than it is like working in most other areas of that country. Hacking accoounts and such is done by some but not all gold farming groups or people, and is not always a main stay of the market that is part of it. Many gold farmers choose to become gold farmers and are not forced, so this slave labor bull is kinda moot.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Seattle, WAPosts: 220Member
    Originally posted by salenger
    Originally posted by eayes

I don't really care, hadn't planned on buying items from the RMAH.

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

$8 total or $8 of each $20 sale?  Taking %20 to %40 percent as a processing fee for themselves is insane.  Blizzard once again has lied and said they are providing a service when really they are just screwing people over.  Could you imagine if ebay took %20 to %40 percent of the sales on it's site.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

$8 total or $8 of each $20 sale?  Taking %20 to %40 percent as a processing fee for themselves is insane.  Blizzard once again has lied and said they are providing a service when really they are just screwing people over.  Could you imagine if ebay took %20 to %40 percent of the sales on it's site.

Blizzard is actually taking closer to an 80 percent cut off every item that will be sold. With the farmers putting thousands of items up for $1.50, this is how much items are going to cost.    Blizzard gets $1 for every transaction no matter the price. Plus, Blizzard takes an additional %15 when you cash out.  

This means the only two people making money from this are the Farmers and Blizzard. The actual players, well, we have 2 options. Quit, or pay for Blizzard to buy their jet skis with gold spinning rims.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Seattle, WAPosts: 220Member
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

Blizzard is actually taking closer to an 80 percent cut off every item that will be sold. With the farmers putting thousands of items up for $1.50, this is how much items are going to cost.    Blizzard gets $1 for every transaction no matter the price. Plus, Blizzard takes an additional %15 when you cash out.  

This means the only two people making money from this are the Farmers and Blizzard. The actual players, well, we have 2 options. Quit, or pay for Blizzard to buy their jet skis with gold spinning rims.

That is just a shame.  I hate Blizzard I seriously doubt I will buy one of their products again but really who is better I guess?  Anyways if that is case makes sense that Blizzard will want gold farmers.  With a $1 auto then a Mil items sold at 1.50 will net them alot more then 100,000 people buying at $10.50...Blizzards share would go from 250.000 to well over a Million.  People are more willing to pay 1.50 then 10.50 for a item so many small transactions means a lot more money for Blizzard. Looks like Blizzard has found a way to make gold farmers actually be a advantage for them.  I doubt they will even be trying to stop these guys.

Gonna redo my Math for my demo I used to show my point more.

Reg players put 100,000 items up for 15.00 a piece

Total amount sold is $1.5M...Blizzards cut (100,000*1)+(1,500,000*.15(15%))=$325,000

Bots sell 1M items for $1.5 dollars a piece

Total amount sold is $1.5M(same) Blizzards cut(1,000,000*1)+(1,500,000*.15(15%))=$1,225,000(alot more money for Blizzard)

So if prices drop by 90% but people spend same amount of total money buying items Blizzard will make just about 4x more money.

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,684Member Uncommon
    Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit. The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

The ones spamming chat will no longer survive as a business unless they find insane exploits to let them supply an insane quantity of goods.  Without that, they die because the supply of RMT gold rises so much that goldselling is no longer a profitable business.

Pretty basic economics, guy.

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• Moaky07Moaky07 Flushing, MIPosts: 2,096Member
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

The problem if you havent noticed is all the stuff thats worth buying is not on the regular gold AH because everyone thinks they're gonna make bookoo bucks on the RMAH.  It was epic fail from the point it was an idea...

Well in an ideal world, maybe it would of been a good thing for those into it.

I am totally against cheats in a MMO. RMT IMO is a cheat. Pretty simple from where I am sitting.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• plescureplescure leicesterPosts: 370Member Uncommon

i still cant believe that the op got 2 x $20 sales for some legendary rings. why? why do ppl spend real money on virtual items. i just dont get it.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,652Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

The sad thing is everyday players will never reap the rewards of the RMT AH, banning overseas IPS would be wonderful but honestly log into wow and watch the spam hell even in D3 the general chat is full of them. I must have reported dozens gold sellers but to no avail they are like cockaroaches and in the end ruin it for everyday players.

Just a thought maybe Blizz did that and seeded the market like CCP does in a way in EvE.

How does banning overseas IPs help especially for the EU? We have some 50 countries in Europe.

We also get people from Africa because that's the only place where they can play. They can ban the Asians though :D

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

I said something similar on another thread.  Buy stuff + beat the game = Ummm...now what? :-(

PvP? Diablo is all about finding items for PvP!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ BoogalululuPosts: 636Member

Called this ages ago. So predictable.

Blizzard can go eat a dick.

• k-damagek-damage ParisPosts: 738Member

Are there really some people believing Blizzard implemented a RMAH to "fight" the gold farmers ... ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Killeen, TXPosts: 9Member

And to think, Blizzard got people $60 deep for an "okay" dungeon crawler. Money well (un)spent.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Los Angeles, CAPosts: 425Member Uncommon

Every game should have a RMAH. A bunch of people (gold farmers or not) are making real money from virtual items, which is pretty cool imo.

I'm hoping this catches on and more companies follow suit.

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Killeen, TXPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by BruceYee

Every game should have a RMAH. A bunch of people (gold farmers or not) are making real money from virtual items, which is pretty cool imo.

I'm hoping this catches on and more companies follow suit.

Nice try, Blizzard Rep. :P

• DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member
    Originally posted by Sorrow

So to sum it up... I am a greedy SOB who planned to quit my job and just rip people off on Diablo 3 and these damn people that play more than me or have better luck than me are turning this in to a free market where competition keeps prices down... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yup.

But also: having the option to buy the best stuff with a few bucks completely destroys the purpose of the game.

Even though you could do that in D2 but through illegal third party services, this was a big "no-no" for many people who prefered grinding themselves or trading with players and keep their characters "fair" and their computers safe.

Now that Blizzard sanctionized it, they considerably lowered the treshold for people to get the best stuff without an equivalent gameplay investment but a little cash instead.

I can't see the long term success of D3. Unless they'll add BOP stuff which can only be gained by playing the game.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit. The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

The ones spamming chat will no longer survive as a business unless they find insane exploits to let them supply an insane quantity of goods.  Without that, they die because the supply of RMT gold rises so much that goldselling is no longer a profitable business.

Dude.. you are way behind the information curve. Check out the 60 million gold/hr thread here. Blizzard is letting the farmers exploit the horrible security of the game, on purpose... but after the farmers make a good profit, they will ban them, forcing said farmers to buy even more copies of the game.... then Blizzard updates their security, creates a new "we hate exploiters" press release, and allows the farmers to use a new exploit for a while. Rinse/repeat X infinity. This is how Blizzard keeps getting insane box sales in Asia, and how the gold farming industry thrives. Gold farmer interviews confirm these techniques.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• xmentyxmenty SingaporePosts: 679Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Gold farmer still can farm golds and buy out everything in AH then resell it again in RMAH.

Hackers will hack and sell off stuff in RMAH too.

There is always a loop hole in everything. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I'm ecstatic that this happened.  Many of us said this would happen, told blizzard it was a bad idea to try the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea.

Maybe now people will start realizing blizzard is not the company it once was.

Its a great Idea and I'm ecstatic as well, but not for the reasons you are. See instead of the gold farmers making what a 100 dollars a pop selling items via a 3rd party they are making what a whole buck fifty? Big whup! Sure your not gonna get rich anymore despite the D3 gold advertisement sites claims. The gold farmers market is dying alittle because of Blizzards RMAH. Your just upset because you can't make big money being gold farmer yourself. The field is even though you can't make big bucks and neither can they.

The fact that legendarys and rares are so cheap as you claim is whats gonna keep many people still placing them on the in game gold Auction house instead of everyone putting the best items up in the RMAH as you  claim for a whole $1.50. This is why I'm ecstatic.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Los Angeles, CAPosts: 425Member Uncommon

This is probably a test by Blizzard to see if a RMAH is profitable. I think the first experiment they did to lead up to this was the cash shop in WoW. That one passed with flying colors so this was thought up. I'm guessing that their next project "Titan" will have a RMAH if this one is successful.

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,047Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

This

• ZetsueiZetsuei Dana, KYPosts: 252Member
    Originally posted by BruceYee

This is probably a test by Blizzard to see if a RMAH is profitable. I think the first experiment they did to lead up to this was the cash shop in WoW. That one passed with flying colors so this was thought up. I'm guessing that their next project "Titan" will have a RMAH if this one is successful.

If I recall, Blizzard wanted to put in a system to SC2 where you could buy maps made by people and they would get a cut of the profit. I haven't heard anything about this in a long tme, so I wonder if it was ultimately scrapped since they knew it was a flawed and stupid system.

I also wouldn't be surprised if MoP added a RMAH into the game. Blizzard is done trying to make games for gamers. Its all about the money, and its evident by this Auction House. I wonder what kind of system they will add into Titan to try to milk the playerbase. I'm sure its gonna be legendary.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Chiang MaiPosts: 412Member Uncommon

I'm not sure if these changes will make things better or worse. To be honest this market has always existed, and all this really does is allow Blizzard to cash in on it, while reducing the headache of customer service requests from people being scammed. It removes the shadiness out of it. From that standpoint, I get what they were thinking.

The flip side of that though is that it also makes it easier for people to farm stuff by giving them additional incentives. 

I'd guess we need to give it some time and see where it leads. If players back off their anger over the system and accept it, I wouldn't be surprised if more games don't follow suit. If it continues to be a big negative, then this may be the last time a major company tries it.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance ParisPosts: 1,223Member

I never for once thought that the RMAH would be a viable way for people to make money. I really wondered about those people who said they could use the bucks they would earn to make some form of living while playing the game. The economics behind these ideas just don't work out not least that there is stiff competition from organized, professional farmers. I think to make it work in an economically viable way, you would have to have multiple people playing the game in order to scrounge together the sort of items that you would be able to sell. The droprates are low for everyone, not just casual gamers after all. And of course if you are doing that from a Western country, it is actually not as competitive as doing it from a developing nation. So again, you are still on the losing side.

Blizzard is counting on the RMAH to essentially render the farmers obsolete, but they probably didn't think too much about hackers, exploiters, and the still third-party power levelers and the like. There is also still really nothing to keep a third party blackmarket from arising: if a player still pays 1.50 € for their items, do you think they would care if it is on the RMAH or on a separate website especially if they engage in other services?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DarkPony
    Originally posted by Sorrow

So to sum it up... I am a greedy SOB who planned to quit my job and just rip people off on Diablo 3 and these damn people that play more than me or have better luck than me are turning this in to a free market where competition keeps prices down... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yup.

But also: having the option to buy the best stuff with a few bucks completely destroys the purpose of the game.

Even though you could do that in D2 but through illegal third party services, this was a big "no-no" for many people who prefered grinding themselves or trading with players and keep their characters "fair" and their computers safe.

Now that Blizzard sanctionized it, they considerably lowered the treshold for people to get the best stuff without an equivalent gameplay investment but a little cash instead.

I can't see the long term success of D3. Unless they'll add BOP stuff which can only be gained by playing the game.

But...you aren't actually competing with anyone in D3, (single player game, right?) so what difference does it really matter in the end whether they buy the best gear or you farm it yourself and do it "honestly?"

Now when the PVP module comes out I can see this argument, but in theory by then everyone will have had a reasonable chance to gear up their characters.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member

The OP is complaining that rings are going for 2 dollars?

IM sorry bro but 20 bucks for a ring is mental.

Im cheering on the gold farmer I hope they oversaturate and keep all the prices under 5 bucks.

Playing:

Waiting on: