Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold farmers destroy Diablo 3 real money market in a day.

Comments

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

i still cant believe that the op got 2 x $20 sales for some legendary rings. why? why do ppl spend real money on virtual items. i just dont get it.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

The sad thing is everyday players will never reap the rewards of the RMT AH, banning overseas IPS would be wonderful but honestly log into wow and watch the spam hell even in D3 the general chat is full of them. I must have reported dozens gold sellers but to no avail they are like cockaroaches and in the end ruin it for everyday players.

Just a thought maybe Blizz did that and seeded the market like CCP does in a way in EvE.

How does banning overseas IPs help especially for the EU? We have some 50 countries in Europe.

We also get people from Africa because that's the only place where they can play. They can ban the Asians though :D

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

I said something similar on another thread.  Buy stuff + beat the game = Ummm...now what? :-(

PvP? Diablo is all about finding items for PvP!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Called this ages ago. So predictable.

Blizzard can go eat a dick.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Are there really some people believing Blizzard implemented a RMAH to "fight" the gold farmers ... ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Member Posts: 9

And to think, Blizzard got people $60 deep for an "okay" dungeon crawler. Money well (un)spent.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Every game should have a RMAH. A bunch of people (gold farmers or not) are making real money from virtual items, which is pretty cool imo.

I'm hoping this catches on and more companies follow suit.

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by BruceYee

Every game should have a RMAH. A bunch of people (gold farmers or not) are making real money from virtual items, which is pretty cool imo.

I'm hoping this catches on and more companies follow suit.

Nice try, Blizzard Rep. :P

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Sorrow

So to sum it up... I am a greedy SOB who planned to quit my job and just rip people off on Diablo 3 and these damn people that play more than me or have better luck than me are turning this in to a free market where competition keeps prices down... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yup.

But also: having the option to buy the best stuff with a few bucks completely destroys the purpose of the game.

Even though you could do that in D2 but through illegal third party services, this was a big "no-no" for many people who prefered grinding themselves or trading with players and keep their characters "fair" and their computers safe.

Now that Blizzard sanctionized it, they considerably lowered the treshold for people to get the best stuff without an equivalent gameplay investment but a little cash instead.

I can't see the long term success of D3. Unless they'll add BOP stuff which can only be gained by playing the game.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Souldrainer 
    Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit. The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

The ones spamming chat will no longer survive as a business unless they find insane exploits to let them supply an insane quantity of goods.  Without that, they die because the supply of RMT gold rises so much that goldselling is no longer a profitable business.

Pretty basic economics, guy.

Dude.. you are way behind the information curve. Check out the 60 million gold/hr thread here. Blizzard is letting the farmers exploit the horrible security of the game, on purpose... but after the farmers make a good profit, they will ban them, forcing said farmers to buy even more copies of the game.... then Blizzard updates their security, creates a new "we hate exploiters" press release, and allows the farmers to use a new exploit for a while. Rinse/repeat X infinity. This is how Blizzard keeps getting insane box sales in Asia, and how the gold farming industry thrives. Gold farmer interviews confirm these techniques.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Souldrainer 
    Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit. The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

The ones spamming chat will no longer survive as a business unless they find insane exploits to let them supply an insane quantity of goods.  Without that, they die because the supply of RMT gold rises so much that goldselling is no longer a profitable business.

Pretty basic economics, guy.

Gold farmer still can farm golds and buy out everything in AH then resell it again in RMAH.

Hackers will hack and sell off stuff in RMAH too.

There is always a loop hole in everything. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I'm ecstatic that this happened.  Many of us said this would happen, told blizzard it was a bad idea to try the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea.

Maybe now people will start realizing blizzard is not the company it once was.

Its a great Idea and I'm ecstatic as well, but not for the reasons you are. See instead of the gold farmers making what a 100 dollars a pop selling items via a 3rd party they are making what a whole buck fifty? Big whup! Sure your not gonna get rich anymore despite the D3 gold advertisement sites claims. The gold farmers market is dying alittle because of Blizzards RMAH. Your just upset because you can't make big money being gold farmer yourself. The field is even though you can't make big bucks and neither can they.

The fact that legendarys and rares are so cheap as you claim is whats gonna keep many people still placing them on the in game gold Auction house instead of everyone putting the best items up in the RMAH as you  claim for a whole $1.50. This is why I'm ecstatic.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

This is probably a test by Blizzard to see if a RMAH is profitable. I think the first experiment they did to lead up to this was the cash shop in WoW. That one passed with flying colors so this was thought up. I'm guessing that their next project "Titan" will have a RMAH if this one is successful.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

This

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by BruceYee

This is probably a test by Blizzard to see if a RMAH is profitable. I think the first experiment they did to lead up to this was the cash shop in WoW. That one passed with flying colors so this was thought up. I'm guessing that their next project "Titan" will have a RMAH if this one is successful.

If I recall, Blizzard wanted to put in a system to SC2 where you could buy maps made by people and they would get a cut of the profit. I haven't heard anything about this in a long tme, so I wonder if it was ultimately scrapped since they knew it was a flawed and stupid system.

I also wouldn't be surprised if MoP added a RMAH into the game. Blizzard is done trying to make games for gamers. Its all about the money, and its evident by this Auction House. I wonder what kind of system they will add into Titan to try to milk the playerbase. I'm sure its gonna be legendary.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I'm not sure if these changes will make things better or worse. To be honest this market has always existed, and all this really does is allow Blizzard to cash in on it, while reducing the headache of customer service requests from people being scammed. It removes the shadiness out of it. From that standpoint, I get what they were thinking.

The flip side of that though is that it also makes it easier for people to farm stuff by giving them additional incentives. 

I'd guess we need to give it some time and see where it leads. If players back off their anger over the system and accept it, I wouldn't be surprised if more games don't follow suit. If it continues to be a big negative, then this may be the last time a major company tries it.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I never for once thought that the RMAH would be a viable way for people to make money. I really wondered about those people who said they could use the bucks they would earn to make some form of living while playing the game. The economics behind these ideas just don't work out not least that there is stiff competition from organized, professional farmers. I think to make it work in an economically viable way, you would have to have multiple people playing the game in order to scrounge together the sort of items that you would be able to sell. The droprates are low for everyone, not just casual gamers after all. And of course if you are doing that from a Western country, it is actually not as competitive as doing it from a developing nation. So again, you are still on the losing side.

Blizzard is counting on the RMAH to essentially render the farmers obsolete, but they probably didn't think too much about hackers, exploiters, and the still third-party power levelers and the like. There is also still really nothing to keep a third party blackmarket from arising: if a player still pays 1.50 € for their items, do you think they would care if it is on the RMAH or on a separate website especially if they engage in other services?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DarkPony

So to sum it up... I am a greedy SOB who planned to quit my job and just rip people off on Diablo 3 and these damn people that play more than me or have better luck than me are turning this in to a free market where competition keeps prices down... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yup.

But also: having the option to buy the best stuff with a few bucks completely destroys the purpose of the game.

Even though you could do that in D2 but through illegal third party services, this was a big "no-no" for many people who prefered grinding themselves or trading with players and keep their characters "fair" and their computers safe.

Now that Blizzard sanctionized it, they considerably lowered the treshold for people to get the best stuff without an equivalent gameplay investment but a little cash instead.

I can't see the long term success of D3. Unless they'll add BOP stuff which can only be gained by playing the game.

But...you aren't actually competing with anyone in D3, (single player game, right?) so what difference does it really matter in the end whether they buy the best gear or you farm it yourself and do it "honestly?"

Now when the PVP module comes out I can see this argument, but in theory by then everyone will have had a reasonable chance to gear up their characters.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

The OP is complaining that rings are going for 2 dollars?

IM sorry bro but 20 bucks for a ring is mental.

Im cheering on the gold farmer I hope they oversaturate and keep all the prices under 5 bucks.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

I never for once thought that the RMAH would be a viable way for people to make money. I really wondered about those people who said they could use the bucks they would earn to make some form of living while playing the game. The economics behind these ideas just don't work out not least that there is stiff competition from organized, professional farmers. I think to make it work in an economically viable way, you would have to have multiple people playing the game in order to scrounge together the sort of items that you would be able to sell. The droprates are low for everyone, not just casual gamers after all. And of course if you are doing that from a Western country, it is actually not as competitive as doing it from a developing nation. So again, you are still on the losing side.

Blizzard is counting on the RMAH to essentially render the farmers obsolete, but they probably didn't think too much about hackers, exploiters, and the still third-party power levelers and the like. There is also still really nothing to keep a third party blackmarket from arising: if a player still pays 1.50 € for their items, do you think they would care if it is on the RMAH or on a separate website especially if they engage in other services?

i think you will find they had thought about those issues a good long time ago, hence the reason why D3 requires online connection to play, whether hackers can bypass this and still make use of the RMAH remains to be seen. But as has already been said, the biggest losers here are the businesses that operate to make a profit out of those kinds of things, when anyone can do it, there is more competition, and far less profit, so of course their members are probably going to QQ about it.. possibly on this forum tooimage

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't see what the problem is. Isn't it a good  thing prices are low?

Except if you deluded yourself you could make some money of the game off course.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Im cheering on the gold farmer I hope they oversaturate and keep all the prices under 5 bucks.

^This.

The OP should consider himself fortunate that he got in early enough to get what he got. The Farmers didn't ruin the AH, they stabilized it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Yup.

But...you aren't actually competing with anyone in D3, (single player game, right?) so what difference does it really matter in the end whether they buy the best gear or you farm it yourself and do it "honestly?"

Now when the PVP module comes out I can see this argument, but in theory by then everyone will have had a reasonable chance to gear up their characters.

I don't have much of a problem with it , but honestly they ensured he has "0" chance of ever trading for anything decent. And the gold farmers made sure much of what he has will be of no value.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I'm ecstatic that this happened.  Many of us said this would happen, told blizzard it was a bad idea to try the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea.

Maybe now people will start realizing blizzard is not the company it once was.

Yeah! You told 'em! Rawr!

And maybe people still enjoy the games they put out... Numbers kind of don't lie...

And before you get into that whole WoW doesn't have 10 million, they are all in Asia, save it.

Even if it is only 2 million in the NA, you do realize that that is TWO MILLION...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Z3R01

^This.

The OP should consider himself fortunate that he got in early enough to get what he got. The Farmers didn't ruin the AH, they stabilized it.

Im not sure about stabalizing it ... well perhaps. But only because of unscroupulous techniques such as duping and botting that drove the market down and made most items worth nothing. I suppose that's a plus for anyone who was willing to spend a little on the game.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by dotdotdash
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Really no one should be surprised this would happen. It was called by many people, myself included, from the moment they announced real money AH being implemented.

I'm sure Blizzard knew it would happen as well. They've been combatting this crap in D2 and WoW for how long now?

They knew exactly what was going to happen. In fact, I'm sure they were banking on it, literally and figuratively.

Now that they're getting their cut of it, does anyone think they really care?

Oh, they'll put out the occasional PR saying they don't approve of RMT-related activities, just to shut people up and put on a good, "no really, we care" appearance. Behind the scenes, though, they and Kotick will be smiling ear to ear.

Pure greed move on Blizzard/Activision's part.

The tireless Blizzard defenders can spin, defend and white-knight it all they want. All the spin in the world can't change the reality that what many predicted is precisely what happened.

I don't see why it's a bad thing?

Explain to me why it's a bad thing.

Explain it to me in terms we can all understand, specific and factual, without resorting to hyperbole.

You need it to be explained to you why a system that can be abused and dominated by RMT farmers working 24/7 in order to manipulate AH prices in their own favor by selling massive amounts of items is a bad thing?

You need it to be explained to you how Blizzard/Activision are not going to really give a crap about it - despite the occasional "we hate RMT!" PR they'll likely push out to keep/save face (plausible deniability FTW!) - as long as they're receiving their cut for the activities?

Do you really think Blizzard/Activision don't understand what RMT is or how it works or how it takes advantage of something like an Auction House? Do you think they don't understand how it is that these companies operate and the kind of revenue they generate? Do you think Blizzard/Activision weren't absolutely counting on that when they decided to embrace the idea and bring RMT directly (ie. RMAH) into the game?

Really?

This setup is practically "free money" for them; passive, residual income. The RMT farmers (and participating players, of course) do their thing, Blizzard/Activision just sit back and watch the $$$ roll in. It's a perfect setup for them.

If many of us regular gamers (minus you, apparently) understand it, the folks at Blizzard/Activision certainly do. This is RMT 101. Nothing I'm explaining here is some kind of esoteric "secret" knowledge, possessed by only a handful of people. Anyone who's played a MMO with any kind of a player-driven market has seen these RMT companies in action, and have experienced, to one degree or another, their affect on that game's economy.

Hyperbole? Not necessary. Hell, none of this should even require an explanation at this point.

All it should require is:

1) The understanding of RMT companies and how they do their business.

2) The ability to connect the dots and see how Blizz/Activision are tapping into that business via their RMAH. 

3) And of course, the inellectual honesty to accept it and not try to explain or spin it away because you see Blizzard/Activision as some pure, untarnished and infallible entity.  

Anyone who's followed them since early on can see this isn't the same Blizzard that made Starcraft, Warcraft or Diablo I or II anymore. This is an entirely different beast, driven by an entirely different motivation. Greed. Thank you, Bobby Kotick.