Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Beta Ruined Rift for Me

Comments

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

Nerfs ruined Rift for me, honestly it was like clock work new patch new nerfs relearn your class again, got very very old.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I can't even fathom going back to a MMO with static mash rotation hotkey combat where you stand still and swap hit points.

I can't even fathom going back to grinding Kill 10 Rats quests at one hub only to move on to the next quest hub.

I can't even fathom going back to instanced PvP queues to buy new gear to do more instanced PvP queues with no tournaments or ladders/anything.

I can't even fathom going back to open world PvP without any meaning or sense of realm/server pride.

I REALLY can't even fathom going back to LFG queues and spamming chat for tanks/healers with mindless threat mechanics and whack-a-mole healing.

GW2 has ruined MMOs for me.

Only game I am even considering going back to to tide me over is EvE, but I know every time I go back to EvE (has been 2-3 times now) I have a great time for a month than get so bored and unsub again.

My feelings as well. 

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I canceled my sub with Rift due to RL issues. But GW2 may kill it for me also.

I did enjoy Rift but it did get a little boring - daily quests - weekly grind, etc.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Blakkrskyrr

my question would be why something earlier didn't ruin rift for you, if not the game itself.  i just couldn't swallow the playstyle anymore.

true enough. and like you i did leave. but i had always just kinda hoped i could fall back on it at least. but even that's gone for me.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Ashen_X

I can't even fathom going back to a MMO with static mash rotation hotkey combat where you stand still and swap hit points.

I can't even fathom going back to grinding Kill 10 Rats quests at one hub only to move on to the next quest hub.

I can't even fathom going back to instanced PvP queues to buy new gear to do more instanced PvP queues with no tournaments or ladders/anything.

I can't even fathom going back to open world PvP without any meaning or sense of realm/server pride.

I REALLY can't even fathom going back to LFG queues and spamming chat for tanks/healers with mindless threat mechanics and whack-a-mole healing.

Only game I am even considering going back to to tide me over is EvE, but I know every time I go back to EvE (has been 2-3 times now) I have a great time for a month than get so bored and unsub again.

My feelings as well. 

So to summerize you don't like PvP and you don't like quests and you don't Dungeons.  Sounds to me like its a not a problem of a game sucking its more a issue of you guys are just burned out on MMOs.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

I feel the same... I cant stand another MMO after GW2. The GameList feels like garbage. Anet hurry up or else we will have to go back to real life :P.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

My feelings as well. 

So to summerize you don't like PvP and you don't like quests and you don't Dungeons.  Sounds to me like its a not a problem of a game sucking its more a issue of you guys are just burned out on MMOs.

You can burn out on certain aspects of MMOs but not others.

Heck, I always hated daily quests and faction grinding but still like a good MMO even if it have those.

And they said nothing about hating dungeons, just waiting for the missing tank.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I had a great time in GW2 last weekend. Since some of my friends and family don't buy sub games, when this game comes out it will be even better for me, more folks to play with!

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

I've been able to play some Tera, but only for a half hour to an hour at a time.  I had several 4-5 hour stretches over the weekend in GW2, so yeah.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Loke666

My feelings as well. 

Heck, I always hated daily quests and faction grinding but still like a good MMO even if it have those.

Which they followed up with GW2 has ruined MMOs for me which makes no sense because there are no dedicated tanks or healers in GW2.

And I base them not liking Dungeons on the fact they don't think running the dungeon is worth getting a group together to do said dungeon.  God if it is just spamming for a tank then make a stupid tank, problem solved.  I think the real issue for many people is just that MMOs have been around for 10 years now and its not new and the platform is starting to get old and worn for many people but for some reason many people think it is only a problem of finding that new MMO that will hold them and make it feel like new again.  Basically Honeymoon phase for MMOs is over and people want it back but guess what, its over.

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

I heart threads like this. My little virtual AA meeting of "GW2 Anon" GW2 addicts.

I am like many others here, after BWE2 I just cannot stomache more of D3 or WoW. Granted, still like other games. 

Have played many since original Everquest in 1999 as did some others. 

There is one I do not often see talked about that once hooked me like EQ did which was Shadowbane. 

I used Fraps and recored a few videos of the BWE2 this weekend and seriously keep watching them over and over thinking /sigh

UGH GW2 withdrawals!!!!!!!

Everquest, Shadowbane, Planetside, DAOC, Aion, Lineage 2, Rift, WoW, AoC... so many over the years but GW2 is going to be my next long term MMO and no monthly sub makes it even sweeter for me and my wife!

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I played at the first Beta and after that i was eager to try something new so i brought TERA... at the begining Tera was good but not much after lvl 20 the game started to shine..and loved it... at the second BETA weekend i hardly could log to GW2 and always found myself bored and log out after 30 mins... the movement..the animation the sliding/floating runin and the zerg/smash button combat just made me wanna play TERA... 

I don't say that GW2 is a bad game..no by all means... but still combat system of TERA just keep me more attached atm.. and i have brought GW2 anyhow so i will play it good when its more bug free and hopefully that runing slide/floating will be all good ;-)  besides there is no point of play it more and ruin all the story right? :P

Originally posted by sodade21but still combat system of TERA just keep me more attached atm.. and i have brought GW2 anyhow so i will play it good when its more bug free and hopefully that runing slide/floating will be all good ;-)  besides there is no point of play it more and ruin all the story right? :P

and i think that's a good thing. no reasonable fan of GW2 is going to bash Tera or any other game. they're just going to do what you have done, find one that they like.

My feelings as well. 

Which they followed up with GW2 has ruined MMOs for me which makes no sense because there are no dedicated tanks or healers in GW2.

And I base them not liking Dungeons on the fact they don't think running the dungeon is worth getting a group together to do said dungeon.  God if it is just spamming for a tank then make a stupid tank, problem solved.  I think the real issue for many people is just that MMOs have been around for 10 years now and its not new and the platform is starting to get old and worn for many people but for some reason many people think it is only a problem of finding that new MMO that will hold them and make it feel like new again.  Basically Honeymoon phase for MMOs is over and people want it back but guess what, its over.

actually, that's not really what i meant at all. i was simply trying to express that i can't get into other mmo's right now in the wake of having played GW2.

now in all honesty, i along with some others i knew got bored after playing for 5 hours. but guess what, that's not an issue, as you point out 'honeymoon over'. simply stated, true enough. but anything done for too long becomes boring. which is really the good point of your argument i think.

sure, folks get burned out. but what happens when youre not simply being a fanboi, but have tried the game, even got a bit bored with it, but still really, really look forward to going back and playing it again soon? that's the reality of any relationship: with food, with good people, with good conversation, with good books, with good games.

the imbalance you are point out doesn't really exist for some of us at least. we have a reasonable view and are not star-struck. we just simply found something that we enjoy more than other things. /shrug. seems pretty straightforward to me.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by chelan

My feelings as well. 

actually, that's not really what i meant at all. i was simply trying to express that i can't get into other mmo's right now in the wake of having played GW2.

now in all honesty, i along with some others i knew got bored after playing for 5 hours. but guess what, that's not an issue, as you point out 'honeymoon over'. simply stated, true enough. but anything done for too long becomes boring. which is really the good point of your argument i think.

sure, folks get burned out. but what happens when youre not simply being a fanboi, but have tried the game, even got a bit bored with it, but still really, really look forward to going back and playing it again soon? that's the reality of any relationship: with food, with good people, with good conversation, with good books, with good games.

the imbalance you are point out doesn't really exist for some of us at least. we have a reasonable view and are not star-struck. we just simply found something that we enjoy more than other things. /shrug. seems pretty straightforward to me.

No way, get out of here, this is possible?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

I have been bored out of my mind by pretty much all MMOs after WOW started sucking hardcore for my taste after vanilla. I played GW1 here and there, and Aion, but I think I had my falling out with the MMO genre. GW2 saves it for me, because it is different enough for me to at least play casually. Other than that I´ve been playing LOL and BF3 lately. No Diablo 3, not even going to touch a blizzard title after I have had my personal quarrel with them.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

Opposite for me. GW2 actually made me resub to Rift.

I resubbed as well.  Rift will have housing soon.   I'll play both.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Valkaern

I just wish there was a GW2 tv series or cartoon I could watch to hold me over until the next event as playing games that aren't GW2 is clearly not working for me either.

Well if you're the reading type, I heard from my best friend that the novels go into the lore and characters of Tyria in decent depth.  I don't know about the quality of the writing, but I would say probably no worse than most fantasy writing out there.  Either way, the stories really tie into what happens before the game starts.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

GW2 has that effect on most people...

All I do now is some PvP with my Druid in WoW - and log into LOTRO once a month or so to run around a bit and roleplay because I have a lifetime account there.

I think the only thing which could eventually "beat" GW2 is a well made sandbox MMO, and not a FFA PvP gankfest, I mean a REAL sandbox.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I feel really really bad because i love Rift and Trion, but the game is so small in scope and scale compared to GW2.  I do miss the classes and raiding though.  If i could bard it up in GW2, i'd be ecstatic.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by sodade21

I played at the first Beta and after that i was eager to try something new so i brought TERA... at the begining Tera was good but not much after lvl 20 the game started to shine..and loved it... at the second BETA weekend i hardly could log to GW2 and always found myself bored and log out after 30 mins... the movement..the animation the sliding/floating runin and the zerg/smash button combat just made me wanna play TERA... 

I don't say that GW2 is a bad game..no by all means... but still combat system of TERA just keep me more attached atm.. and i have brought GW2 anyhow so i will play it good when its more bug free and hopefully that runing slide/floating will be all good ;-)  besides there is no point of play it more and ruin all the story right? :P

Button smashing combat? Well THERE'S your problem, you were doing it wrong!

Here's the skinny... your skills aren't simply "do damage or do more damage". They have attributes of damage, control and/or support. You really need to understand what skills you have and use the right ones at the right time. There are no real dps races like you'll find in games with the archaic "trinity" concept. Also don't forget weapon swapping... that opens up a new batch of skills and abilities. Next BWE, try playing the way it was intended... in other words not like the older style MMOs. Forget rotations, forget mashing. Know your skills and watch for visual clues from the enemy as to when to best use what you have. Don't think only in damage terms, think also of how you're going to apply control to the enemy and what you can do to support those in need at the same time. Move. Avoid damage as best as you can. I got into a pug group for Ascalon Catacombs, story mode. We one-shotted the entire thing, and people were flying around, helping each other out... it was a blast to be a part of and to see in action.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Volkon

Here's the skinny... your skills aren't simply "do damage or do more damage". They have attributes of damage, control and/or support. You really need to understand what skills you have and use the right ones at the right time. There are no real dps races like you'll find in games with the archaic "trinity" concept. Also don't forget weapon swapping... that opens up a new batch of skills and abilities. Next BWE, try playing the way it was intended... in other words not like the older style MMOs. Forget rotations, forget mashing. Know your skills and watch for visual clues from the enemy as to when to best use what you have. Don't think only in damage terms, think also of how you're going to apply control to the enemy and what you can do to support those in need at the same time. Move. Avoid damage as best as you can. I got into a pug group for Ascalon Catacombs, story mode. We one-shotted the entire thing, and people were flying around, helping each other out... it was a blast to be a part of and to see in action.

While I totally agree with you, there is only that part about the Ascalonian Catacombs that I had a different experience, I found that place to be severely lacking in terms of combat, it was just like a trinity-like dungeon but without the trinity. Hard-hitting, million hit-point elite mobs, coming in very small numbers, without any tactics or combinations among them. I've seen it a thousand times in other MMOs and I don't like this gameplay.

Anyway maybe it's just me... Maybe all those deaths made me hate that place. I'll give it another go

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My feelings as well. 

No not at all.

I dislike meaningless PvP (only about getting gear) and prefer PvP to be ranked/tracked in some form or tournament or ladder system etc.

I also prefer open world PvP that has some meaning/effect on the world, and WvW builds both server pride and very useful bonuses which I feel is impactful enough to be a far cry from most world PvP in themepark MMOs - ganking and griefing with no point (WoW, TOR, etc.)

I love dungeons, but I love playing with friends and having skill as a player matter, not having the right class mix (tank/healer/dps/control) and just facerolling through playing whack a mole healing and/or rotation spamming dps and/or free threat AoE tanking faceroll.

How is a dungeon run in a normal MMO?

Tank AoE threat keeps all mobs glued to him, boss threat is a LOL joke, healer plays whack-a-mole with the tanks health occassionaly glancing away from their UI to do an AoE heal or quick spot heal on a 2nd player, DPS tries to maximize their rotation to "win" the damage meters while occasionally having to throw a quick CC.

Yawn.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Volkon

While I totally agree with you, there is only that part about the Ascalonian Catacombs that I had a different experience, I found that place to be severely lacking in terms of combat, it was just like a trinity-like dungeon but without the trinity. Hard-hitting, million hit-point elite mobs, coming in very small numbers, without any tactics or combinations among them. I've seen it a thousand times in other MMOs and I don't like this gameplay.

Anyway maybe it's just me... Maybe all those deaths made me hate that place. I'll give it another go

Hmm. We actually used some tactics, that could be it. The lovers, for example, someone working on keeping them separated at least long enough until the lady was nearly down, then polish her off and take care of dude. Avoidance is key, though. Learning to not get hit makes things go oh so much smoother. As a mesmer, I was able to throw some timely interrupts around on some attacks, or simply dodge and completely avoid others.

Our group, feeling a bit cocky and confident, then took on explorable mode afterwards. We did surprisingly well considering only two of us were over 35 (I was 32 at the time) and one was even a 29. We manage to get to the Lieutenant dude that pulls everyone into his whirlwind and stalled there... but man, even the trash is like fighting mini-bosses. It was GREAT! I love that they're not afraid to kick our collective arses.

Oderint, dum metuant.