Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: F2P at E3 2012

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

E3 is one of the premier events during the summer season for game developers and their fans. At this year's event, we fully expect to hear a lot more about the "free to play" movement in MMOs. In The Free Zone, we make a few predictions about what we may see. Check it out!

Any serious western gamer knows that this year's edition of the E3 trade event will open its doors today, probably quite soon after this column is published. As usual during the weeks leading into it, a considerable amount of media attention has gone to a small number of titles that will be shown there. However, there are differences too. Among these is the admittedly subjective feeling I have that the overall level of anticipation about the show has fallen from where it was five or 10 years ago.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: F2P at E3 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I know people are skeptica but I have faith that Trion can come through with the promises of Defiance. Trion has proven they can create dynamic content quickly with Rift. I don't forsee any problem keeping up with the events of the TV show. The game and show are being created in tandem, with neither being more important than the other.  The game will not be subserviant to the show.

I am also looking forward to the show since it is being created by my favorite sci-fi creator, Rockne S. O'Bannon. He created Farscape and Alien Nation and imo creates the most believable, well-rounded, 3 dimensional aliens I've ever seen.

Here's hoping they pull this off.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Well look at the MMO industry as a whole.  I dont even play a single MMO atm, and I played them since UO came out etc.

Everything is themepark/ftp cash shop etc etc.  To tell you the truth, there are too many suits involved in games now a days.  The last big game purchase I made was Skyrim and I waited for a 50% off sale on Gamestop.

Currently looking forward too....nothing.  I have started fishing and going to the race track though!:)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by furidiam

Well look at the MMO industry as a whole.  I dont even play a single MMO atm, and I played them since UO came out etc.

Everything is themepark/ftp cash shop etc etc.  To tell you the truth, there are too many suits involved in games now a days.  The last big game purchase I made was Skyrim and I waited for a 50% off sale on Gamestop.

Currently looking forward too....nothing.  I have started fishing and going to the race track though!:)

hehe ; I think the challenge and gameplay element has dissapeared. I am having to resort to MUDS and community based games with a concurrncy of 50 to a couple of hundred players. Amazing how 50 careing players can make a world exciting.... It doesn't take many players....

The only promissing one I like the look of at the moment is Citadel of Sorcery; Based on the design effort and thought put into this it could be exceptional.

But again the quality of player in these games these days is just poor nobody cares or wants to invest in something that may last years.. 

I think a big portion is that sense of accomplishment is gone.  I remember starting EQ 1 back in the day and I walked up to a lizard camp as my ogre warrior.  Lets just say it did not end well:)  That lizard camp got what it deserved though when I went and found a shaman to tackle it with me:)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by furidiam

Everything is themepark/ftp cash shop etc etc.  To tell you the truth, there are too many suits involved in games now a days.  

+1

Either mmorpg's with subs that resemble single player / co-op lobby games and don't feel like mmo world at all or freemium or f2p cash-shopped not much better yuck productions.

Seriously while there are more mmorpg's than ever numbers wise atm, there is even less now than in 2005 that I can even consider playing .

Well unless someone likes lobby / instanced 'on-rail', maximum conveniant streamlined gameplay whcih I don't :|

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Look @ consoles....

Almost every game, even sequels, play differently than each other. You don't have the same "mold" that everyone copies.

Now, look @ the MMO market. Everyone tries to copy WoW & end up failing (ala: SWTOR). 

Suits have ruined the market, but it seems that the market will turn around soon with more TRUE MMO's, and none of this "F2P" fad stuff either.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

I dont know about that.  I see lots of DLC in console games as well.  I think is just the nature of the beast now.  Video games are no longer a niche market.  It is based on mass appeal now.  Niche customers stuck with games for years, where your casual market bounces around from game to game.

I think these games now are targeting the casual audiance but are expecting the niche mentality.  I mean just look at SWTOR, EA basically said they made there money and they are good with that.  They moved on to the next one.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Guild wars 2 wont be at E3 because Arenanet got banned a few years ago for being too 'loud' apparently. It seems that E3 doesn't appreciate people trying to have a good time. it's all about the money :P

They have also said they tend to enjoy more community facing shows, rather than industry focused ones such as E3.

• R1mcr33p3rR1mcr33p3r Member Posts: 2

The MMO industry is the E-version of the special olympics, except MMO devs are too busy patting themselves on the back for coming home with bronze to worry about a little thing called quality.

Mediocrity is great, you get paid regardless of what you squeeze out on the lawn, so why work for a living?

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Don't lose your shirt at the track!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I thought I was the only one who noticed a general lack of enthusiasm for E3, seems to be a popular opinion.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Im hanging out to see what goes on with Mech Warrior Online and Planetside 2. Sure they are both free 2 play but if they are good I have no qualms on spening money on them.

• WigBurldWigBurld Member Posts: 14

Check out this E3 interview with Wargaming.net (World of Tanks) discussing their f2p mmos.