Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post ur character

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Dfix

That's gangsta, nuff said lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I've  glance through the pictures in this thread and I have to ask, is everyone running on low settings? Or is this what GW2 has to offer graphically?

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Originally posted by Clocksimus

I've  glance through the pictures in this thread and I have to ask, is everyone running on low settings? Or is this what GW2 has to offer graphically?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my screen was maxed out (except for shadows) with a High-Res screen shot option.

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

My warrior wearing a mix of Heart Vendor Armor and Armorsmith NPC Armor.

This pic is the color scheme of Chocolate (Rare) and Matte (Starter)

These next pics is a mix of Heart Vendor Armor and Armorsmith NPC Armor dyed Chocolate (Rare) and Antique Gold (Starter)

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Ok now tell me a mmorpg, except AOC,  that it has better graphics then gw2 (state beta, for now only works DX9, future will support DX10 and DX11)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by escarreta

Ok now tell me a mmorpg, except AOC,  that it has better graphics then gw2 (state beta, for now only works DX9, future will support DX10 and DX11)

im guessing he didnt look at mine or Star's or a few others that were high settings AND I wish I remembered the vid name but someone compared AoC to GWs side by side on max and GW2 won out. Also.. GW2 isn't done being fine tuned. I can offer one link that might help those that think that GW2 has bad graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWn6740JOg&feature=g-user-u

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Here is my Level 28 Elementalist, outside a town in Gendarren Fields:

Click Image for Full Resolution.

Level 20 Mesmer:

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

The higher res pictures seem to confirm the complete lack of  bump or normal mapping and reason why it pains me to look at them and  call them nice compared to other MMO's currently out that make very good use of this technique that is far from new and exciting.  FFXIV is an example of very good use  of this and no, I dont play it or even like it and yes, it was a complete failure. Graphically though it was pleasing to the eyes and I just can't say the same about GW2.

Just my opinion of course and they don't use it.... so please the guy that will try to call me a GW2 hater.... GW2 doesn't  need to use it but it would look a lot better  with the feature in please.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

The higher res pictures seem to confirm the complete lack of  bump or normal mapping and reason why it pains me to look at them and  call them nice compared to other MMO's currently out that make very good use of this technique that is far from new and exciting.  FFXIV is an example of very good use  of this and no, I dont play it or even like it and yes, it was a complete failure. Graphically though it was pleasing to the eyes and I just can't say the same about GW2.

Doesn't FFXIV have problems rendering mass amounts of characters?

Or did they fix that?

Because I remember watching videos where people pop in and out depending upon how close they were to you.

If THAT is the technical tradeoff, especially with WvW, I could see why they'd go with simpler graphics requirements and focus more on... actually showing people that are there.

Just my opinion of course and they don't use it.... so please the guy that will try to call me a GW2 hater.... GW2 doesn't  need to use it but it would look a lot better  with the feature in please.

When bump mapping isn't extremely high resolution, the results are horrible, making armor look very plastic, blurry and/or pixelated. You can't do that level of detail in an MMO with hundreds of people in one spot. Subtle shader effects are much better for an MMO.

In game at viewable resolution and distance, the character models and armor look better than in any other MMO I've played. If you get close enough, you can se some flaws, but 99.9% of your time playing you are never cose enough to anyone to notice.

I think my high rez images above make the point the best that screenshots can. If you fill a screen with the image, rather than zooming in to the real size, I think they look phenominal. It's only if you zoom in that you can notice the flaws, but there is still a lot of detail to be seen at magnification as well.

Screens also never do justice to the way things look in full motion while playing the game. IMO, there is no currently released MMO that looks better.

(My 2nd and 4th images in my post above are at 6,720px × 4,200px if you click them and zoom in).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

Tera

Originally posted by Saxonblade

Tera

I think they are close in capability and subjective opinion and personal taste will dictate which looks better. IMO GW2 looks better than Tera.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

Tera

I think they are close in capability and subjective opinion and personal taste will dictate which looks better. IMO GW2 looks better than Tera.

and IMHO I like Tera's better

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

not the best screenie but this is me at level 10 wondering how the hell I am going to stop that lot bursting through the gate.  No guessing on what happened 5 minutes later! lol

WvW PvP

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by chryses

not the best screenie but this is me at level 10 wondering how the hell I am going to stop that lot bursting through the gate.  No guessing on what happened 5 minutes later! lol

WvW PvP

Looks familair. A lot of "total domination" going on in WvW.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Requiamer

This is the typical asian female looking armor style i dislike so much, and saw to much ingame.

lol a bit normal since its what u start with when u enter the game when ur a female elementalist or mesmer

You are wrong i changed all my gear multipled time none of what its shows is the starting gear, i did use the transmute stone for both the mask and the leg gear as i already said. This character is level 27...

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Dfix
    Originally posted by chryses

WvW PvP

Looks familair. A lot of "total domination" going on in WvW.

Hopefully with 3 factions and post release there will be enough natural balancing going on.  Can't be certain but I think GW2 is an MMO that will allow a much smaller group which is very well organised, to defeat a bigger group.  We were like a bunch of farmers running into each other. still fun though :)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I should have taken screenshots of the WvW balance where I was.  It was something like 100,000 to 1000 to 1000.

With my sever being one of the 1000s. :T  SUPER pathetic.  Pretty sure it was one of the MAJOR original servers with high pop up against two new underpopulated servers.

I only remember to take screenshots near the end of the BWE where I'm like 'Oh yeah, I guess I should share!'.  I need to make a habit of taking more pictures.

Had some hilarious stuff like the cook outfit from cash shop, which has the most OP skill ever, #4 'Grease fire'

• FyronovaFyronova Member Posts: 36

Here's my awesome Norn Ranger ;

)image

And his derpy bear.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

They do indeed use normal and bump mapping. In fact, you can peruse CG Society and run into the portfolios of Anet current and ex-employees who have the non-textured, sculpted models in their galleries, those sculpts being what became the normal maps. You're confusing aesthetic (a specific amount of detail and how its applied) with a method. You can't have an opinion about whether they use normal maps or not, they either do or they don't, and they do. You're also looking at all low level, basic armor, the more detailed sets not ingame and available to wear by the player, though you do see NPCs sporting them on occasion.

You can see from the screenshots (and if not, from videos) that shadows and light obey and adhere to the wrinkles in clothing and general changes in the topology of the meshes. That's not the model. If it were, each model would be too dense and they'd never be able to render huge numbers of people on the screen at such a high poly-count. It's done instead with a mixture of bump and normal mapping. That's how it works.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

If you want to judge the graphism in today mmo don't even watch at the screen they simply don't make games justice anymore, we are not in the 2k anymore. Just watch some high res vids on youtube if you want to get a real idea of how the game visually feel. Games are no more about photo rendering, they are about animation techniques. An animated scene is built in a totally different manner than a frozen photo shot in 3D, there is a world between those, and games are not graphically builds to be frozen.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by Requiamer

If you want to judge the graphism in today mmo don't even watch at the screen they simply don't make games justice anymore, we are not in the 2k anymore. Just watch some high res vids on youtube if you want to get a real idea of how the game visually feel. Games are no more about photo rendering, they are about animation techniques. An animated scene is built in a totally different manner than a frozen photo shot in 3D, there is a world between those, and games are not graphically builds to be frozen.

I have to agreed with this

op topic: Nice chars all :) ty for posting

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

They do indeed use normal and bump mapping. In fact, you can peruse CG Society and run into the portfolios of Anet current and ex-employees who have the non-textured, sculpted models in their galleries, those sculpts being what became the normal maps. You're confusing aesthetic (a specific amount of detail and how its applied) with a method. You can't have an opinion about whether they use normal maps or not, they either do or they don't, and they do. You're also looking at all low level, basic armor, the more detailed sets not ingame and available to wear by the player, though you do see NPCs sporting them on occasion.

You can see from the screenshots (and if not, from videos) that shadows and light obey and adhere to the wrinkles in clothing and general changes in the topology of the meshes. That's not the model. If it were, each model would be too dense and they'd never be able to render huge numbers of people on the screen at such a high poly-count. It's done instead with a mixture of bump and normal mapping. That's how it works.

So the game looks good enough  but not as good as it could be or others on the market? I can agree and live with that.  As for the statment about the  higher quality models being ingame but not available to the players, that is screaming SWTOR high-res texture drama to me.  Why is it everyone else decides what settings the end user should run their game at? Why even have settings at all? Developers should maybe instead just remove the option and say this is what you will see and these are the specs you need to run the game.

I'm sure GW2 will have larger scale combat than a game like TERA  and so made cutbacks on costs to make it so more people can enjoy the game.  The issue I have with that is that it is assuming everyone will take part in large scale battles and should pay the price of a lower quality visual.  I've managed maybe over hundred a player on my screen in TERA, so I don't think a zerged DE in GW2 would warrant the cutbacks. Saying they made this choice so that the game runs more smoothly on lower end pcs just feels half true to me.

Game just feels old without being old at all because of how it looks compared to basically every MMO coming soon after it and for the person going to point out  something about TERA art style.... This isn't about art style but the simply, undeniable fact that TERA armor models hold far more detail than anything I've seen in this thread and i've now spent a good 30mins looking through GW2 screenshots and then looking at my own personal ones in TERA on max settings.  Style aside they simply are on different scales.

Edit: Compare screensho to screenshot is still valid as they would both be degraded to the same degree would they not? Both would not be as polished as ingame but one would not be worse off than the other.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Can you stop bitching about how this game isn't running on Crytek, and let us get back to posting pics of female avatars in their skimmies?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by Clocksimus snip

They can't put high res texture before optimizing the client, if they did they would probably burn the cpu/gpu of some computer, if you can unlock this before the setting being idiot proof, its really not hard to understand. Swtor messed this up, because they couldn't optimize their game even close to what they planned for whatever reason (the game was supposed to be no instanced remember? it ended up as an instance fest), i have my own explanations, but writing it here might start a flame war with the Swtor fanboys that is all but related to GW2, if you guys want to talk about Swtor there is a forum for it.