Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another game Setting the Bar

SnakexSnakex Dana Point, CAMember Posts: 314 Uncommon

Here in Otherland is Another game that is setting the bar, for these new MMO's that are Pay to Play and eve further then that.

Otherland is a Free to play MMO, but that is not using the simple Lay out or theme like other games, fantasy/theme park, EQ style. They are going sci-fi action based, and they are thinking OUT SIDE THE BOX. Unlike all these other MMO's that just want to find a already stable, already over used template.

It is nice to see that there are still some companies out there with the brains enough to make up their own system without copy pasting templates from already stable make-ups.

Credit out to: Darkfall, Otherland, APB and Firefall  (Please feel free to call out other games with individuality that you know of)

Other companies should take hint to these Out side the box MMO's that, we should not have about 90% of our mmo's just being Re-makes of another style of already made MMO or theme.

This is just a small little rant from me, but if you'd like you can go check out Otherland on the link below, and see how they and some other companies like Firefall are showing that, if these games are Free-to-Play, why are the Pay-to-Play MMO's so dull?

 

http://otherland.gamigo.com/

 

 

Comments

  • Crunchy221Crunchy221 Trollsberg, ILMember Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Snakex
    Here in Otherland is Another game that is setting the bar, for these new MMO's that are Pay to Play and eve further then that. Otherland is a Free to play MMO, but that is not using the simple Lay out or theme like other games, fantasy/theme park, EQ style. They are going sci-fi action based, and they are thinking OUT SIDE THE BOX. Unlike all these other MMO's that just want to find a already stable, already over used template. It is nice to see that there are still some companies out there with the brains enough to make up their own system without copy pasting templates from already stable make-ups. Credit out to: Darkfall, Otherland, APB and Firefall  (Please feel free to call out other games with individuality that you know of) Other companies should take hint to these Out side the box MMO's that, we should not have about 90% of our mmo's just being Re-makes of another style of already made MMO or theme. This is just a small little rant from me, but if you'd like you can go check out Otherland on the link below, and see how they and some other companies like Firefall are showing that, if these games are Free-to-Play, why are the Pay-to-Play MMO's so dull?   http://otherland.gamigo.com/    

    Hate to necro a post but theres nothing outside the box involved with this or any of the other game.

    Taking an existing IP and making a game out of it is not out the box, nor is choosing a sandbox over a themepark direction..both exist.

    Im actually going to avoid this game simply for the f2p community that follow those games, i value community, and i have no qualms with paying for a higher quality game.  You might find p2p games dull but they have the long term staying power since they need to be built to keep people playing, rather than F2P that need to get you to pay quick...personally i find the f2p games get dull since you always reach a point where you cannot compete without paying more than a p2p would have cost, and f2p games have never been higher quality than p2p.

  • MartianDeusMartianDeus New Hope, CTMember Posts: 7

    I used to be more against free to play, but now I actually like it when done right.  Alot of games are doing it really good now, and I prefer to be able to spend money on cool stuff during the months that I'm actually playing, and not feel pressure to play the game during busy months or when I'm playing something else just to "get my money's worth".

     

    Also, a game like this seems like a better fit for free to play because so much is probably simple vanity items and cool clothes.

  • ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,198

    The bar was set a long time about with AC and AC all MMOs today since WOW are not even close to the depth of those MMOs. Not seeing anything even worth the title MMO anywhere on these forums any longer.

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon

    Keeping an eye on this one as the world setting is quite interesting :)

  • MartianDeusMartianDeus New Hope, CTMember Posts: 7

     

    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    The bar was set a long time about with AC and AC all MMOs today since WOW are not even close to the depth of those MMOs. Not seeing anything even worth the title MMO anywhere on these forums any longer.  

     

    I'm interested in seeing if indie devs pick up on more MMO ideas.  I really enjoyed LOVE when it hit, and want to see how the concept evolves.  It was untraditional and really gave you a feeling of exploration by learning this almost alien interface.  I think there's a place for everything though... more simple social MMOs are alot of fun sometimes, but I definitely agree that the old days of real exploration, danger, and thought from EQ and AC are sorely under represented.

  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILMember Posts: 386
    using an existing IP and lore is thinking outside the box now?
  • RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoMember Posts: 885

    Still think they should of gone with one Tads other series of books like Memory Sorrow And Thorn. I am still looking forward to this game though as i like the books and Tad Williams is a great writer. 

    This and TSW are refreshing MMOs

    image
  • rommellorommello calgary, ABMember Posts: 185
    saw some gameplay videos it looked terrible....was very dissapointed since all i had before was trailer videos which made it look awesome

    hallo ~_~

  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbourneMember Posts: 1,245 Uncommon

    I'd avoid anything from Gamigo simply because of their involvement with people that defrauded the staff that developed Interzone Futebol.

     

    For those that don't know, brief articles below:

     

    http://www.tsumea.com/australasia/australia/news/180210/mike-turner-removes-interzone-futebol-content-from-interzone-perth

     

    http://working-as-designed.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/online-soccer-champions-aka-interzone.html

  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAMember Posts: 2,646
    Originally posted by rommello
    saw some gameplay videos it looked terrible....was very dissapointed since all i had before was trailer videos which made it look awesome

    Mind sharing the links for those videos?  Stuff I've seen didn't look bad at all.

     

    There's some gameplay clips in various developer blog videos (and they look good) but I have to take those cautiously, as I've learned from SWTOR that official "gameplay" videos are no longer very representative of the actual game. (EA: "it was a bug that our trailers were recorded with high polygon character models which are actually unavailable in the finished game, our apologies" yada yada)

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Sign In or Register to comment.