Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P to Level 15 Next Month

Comments

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Is there any EA's mmo thet ever went FTP?
  • KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by moreblahblah

This will give all those people Bioware layed off something to do while looking for a job.

I doubt that.  Most of them will avoid the game like the plague.  I fully agree with those saying that "free to 15" is a way to pad the sub numbers.  It may bring in a few more subs, but not enough to be worth the effort, unless you had an alterior motive, which EA has an abundance of in declining sub numbers.

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Bombzaway

Yea great idea, take an already linear very small and guided leveling experience divide it by 4 and let ppl go crazy. It takes what, 3 hours to get to lvl 15, so after a new customer gets to lvl 15 with the first toon theyll go back try another toon and...we all know the conclusion. Better idea was just make the gaem f2p at least ppl would lvl to 50 to see what all the fuss is about instead of finding out so fast.

Excuse me? 3 hrs to lvl15? Not even spacebarring thru everything is that possible. I am sorry sir but you are full of shit. Please use the toilet NOW!

Might actually free up a bit of space in your head for you to understand the concept EA/BW is working: Get players play to lvl15 for free, let them become interested what is happening next, they take the no-need-to-buy-box-just-get-a-subscription bait, look EA/BW is making a nice chunk of money even if those very same people cancel after a month.

• HallowelHallowel Member Posts: 42

Well, the only reason I stopped playing is my game performance consectutively got worse with each patch.  So, this will allow me to see how well it plays on my current system without having to resub for a month.

~Ra Hallowel

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by dead2soon

And a new level cap. That seems rather ill advised.

Yeah.  That one has me stumped.  I just don't "get" that at all, not with the little information we have.  New planets, operations and such I get.  New level cap though?  O.K....How does that affect class stories? Legacy system?  The already overloaded action bars with even more abilities, it's becoming quite a mess to figure out where to put half my skills on certain classes if not all of them.

They stated that they raised the cap so people will be more inclined to check out the new planet.  Without raising the level cap, a lot of poeple just won't bother or maybe check it out briefly and not get the full story.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Pretty much expected, given how their subscription numbers have been falling.  Its too bad, as this could have been a really entertaining game.  Its one of the few mmo's that I've ever played to just one month after the original month. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ClaymixClaymix Member Posts: 16

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Teamwork: using the morons on your team as bait.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by unclemo
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other failing MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, and more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012.

/fixed

Too little too late I'm afraid.  

Yeah now they are just like the ultimate failure, 'WoW'.......

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Zorgo

During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other failing MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, and more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012.

/fixed

Except with almost ten million less subscribers.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Zorgo

/fixed

Except with almost ten million less subscribers.

And 3X more than every other western mmo....

- my point was that this move isn't an indication of failure, all mmo's are employing this or similar techniques. Was it an indication of failure when WoW employed it at the apex of their domination?

Yes, SWToR is losing subs. Yes, they are adding a trial to expose more people to their game. But both the best and worst TV shows advertise. When Seinfeld advertised, was it a symbol of their failure? So when WoW advertises (thru free trial), is it a symbol of their failure? So why is it a symbol of failure when a promotional team designs a promotion for SWToR?

Not many would call Rift a failure. It employed these promotionals early and often. They exposed more people to their game and retained more. Now it is considered a success and it has far less subs than ToR.

You people are all emotion and no reason. I don't like SWToR either - but at least I'm not part of a mindless angry mob about it.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

When I was your age we called these new high-fangled F2P-to-X-level "trials".

That made me chuckle *g*

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I can only repeat myself. Im around 50, tried a lot of different games .. but never ever enjoyed so much and for so long time in one shot like with swtor. Impressive.

Saying this I must add that I could not care less for pvp then I currently do. And I do not care for end game. I'm altholic and with 12 alts to level to max have enough of fun without endgame. Then pandas will come or Rift expansion ... then back to swtor.  Have also tried space combat but did not like in general this kind of games so all ended after 2nd try as I remember.

So i can not jude pvp or end game. Or space combat.

Originally posted by samooryesord

F2p until level 15 is pointless. Takes only a few hours of playing to get to 15.. Just make the whole game f2p already!

The ONLY reason is not that you or alike you could have free launch ... ops.. free gaming, but only to TEST the game and then PAY for GOOD FOOD on plate.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

wel all know this will happen soon ,nothing new nothing shoking

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

No EA game has yet gone a full F2P. Even Ultima Online one of the oldest MMO's on the market still has subs.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Maybe Bioware shouldn't have pissed all over their fanbase

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• PadoPado Member UncommonPosts: 21

Did they fix the engine so you can actual play an PvP and is it smooth now when there are many players in one place?

• GrelminarGrelminar Member UncommonPosts: 4

A game where pvp is controlled and then you charge people to play lol.  I think gamers want an open world where they can freely roam and pvp whenever they want.  And there should be a couple of ways of paying to play. 

Honestly, I haven't logged into SWTOR, but I felt the game would disappoint me and I lost interest before the official release. 

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

It's just a free trial like WoW and many other games have. Using f2p  is misleading.

Originally posted by Grelminar

Honestly, I haven't logged into SWTOR, but I felt the game would disappoint me and I lost interest before the official release. 

To be honest myself, I have not been following at all swtor before maybe few weeks before release. Had suspicion will not live to hype. Could not be more wrong. I'm happy I changed my mind at last moment. At that time have been playing for few months Rift and needed some detour. In wow have leveled all that is to be leveled up. So decided to try swtor.

But as said, i do not care for pvp and not for end game, so can not know from personal experience if there are any problems. For the rest only the best.

• FringeFanBoiFringeFanBoi Member Posts: 32
    Games hag at 50, BUT I wouldn't mind playing Huttball for free every now and then. So I like the idea.
  • CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! EPIC BONER!!!!!!!!!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Sorry BW, I will be canceling very soon. Just want to finish my JC story and I am gone. Played 2 Beta weekend events with GW2 and I just cant see me paying a monthly fee again. And I refuse to pay for a MMO with unbalanced classes and factions. How did you mess up mirriored classes? Not worth the 15 bucks a month and with GW2 coming out companies will need to start jumping on different model then 15 bucks a month to keep people playing or ANet is gona take away more and more players. 

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

This game actually lasted as a sub-based game a LOT longer than I thought it would, so that's something of a success, I suppose. However, along with all of the other fail-filled realizations that came with playing this game, we now have to deal with a company so petty that it won't simply transition to a full fledged F2P model? Free play to 15 is not F2P, it's called a teaser, a free trial, or in more secretive circles, a final desperate ploy to turn a few of the curious into full-fledged subscribers. Really, EA, is there ever a time that you DON'T step in your own fecal matter when making a decision about a game? I think it's time for a management overhaul over there...

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I wonder what the people who bought the super-special pre-order collectors edition for what was it? $150? $160? are thinking right now...

Give me liberty or give me lasers