Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On a global scale.

Comments

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Ovum

So, after this second beta test, how do you guys think the game is completed as a percentage? Don’t mind the missing content. Just an overall assessment.

Ya it's good to go up to level 20, I'm not sure after that.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

85% seems like a pretty accurate assesment for me also.

In some ways it is more polished than many that have released before it.

Fine tuning and tightening up some of the combat, optimizing the client.

That said assuming that the other two racial areas are in as good of shape as the three we've seen thus far.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by Irus
    Originally posted by waynejr2

3 of 5 starting areas are done, so 60% ready?

The starting area are more or less done already, they are just not making them available in the BWE's...

What is the long term plan?  What do I do month after month after reaching cap?  What will keep it fresh?

The game is not designed around reaching the level cap, the game is supposed to start at level 1. There should be enough content for most people to not be able to finish it before an expansion comes around. I'm not sure what you mean by "fresh".

I've heard of people in their 50's just after 2 weekends. People will be capped and capped soon. If there is nothign at cap, they may have the same problems as swtor. IMO.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by cooper85

The starting area are more or less done already, they are just not making them available in the BWE's...

What is the long term plan?  What do I do month after month after reaching cap?  What will keep it fresh?

The game is not designed around reaching the level cap, the game is supposed to start at level 1. There should be enough content for most people to not be able to finish it before an expansion comes around. I'm not sure what you mean by "fresh".

I've heard of people in their 50's just after 2 weekends. People will be capped and capped soon. If there is nothign at cap, they may have the same problems as swtor. IMO.

Anyone who goes into GW2 planning on 'leveling up' with the goal of reaching cap is an utter fool. It really is that simple. It has been stated time after time that GW2 does NOT have an END GAME. So why anyone would try and push thier leveling experience is just crazy dumb. By the time you hit 30 of 80 you have all your quickbar slots open, and if you did something besides race for XP, you probably already have a really good set of traits and skills to work with.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

If the Sylvari and Asura areas are already done (and I suspect they are, since press people played in them in the internal dev build), I'd say it's abour 80% done. All we need is matching voiceovers, some extra performance tweaks and a nice round of bug squashing.

The game felt very solid during this last BWE. I can't imagine it being too far away, at this point.

80% seems to be a pretty good number.

There are a lot of things that need to be ironed out, bust most seem to be fairly minor. My biggest gripes with the last build were:

1) Broken Skillpoint challenges. These have always been there since earlier betas, but it seems like with every build there are at least a few skillpoint challenges that don't work. I don't know if this is an intentional thing, but it is definitely something that needs to be fixed.

2) Population balancing. I never thought this was an issue until this last BWE. HOLY CRAP was the population balance horrid. It was so bad that one server literally had like 99% of the WvW maps, and the other 2 servers only had 1 outpost each. This won't fly at launch.

3) Class balancing. Overall most classes seem to be in a decent spot, except:

- Mesmers still need some love

- Engineers still need some love

- Pet AI is still wonky, for both the ranger and necro.

Definitely needs to all be fixed prior release.

4) Spawn pacing. Some of the mobs just spawn way too fast. Some of the events got to the point where if I wasn't continuously killing things in 1-2 seconds, I would have mobs spawning on my that I had previous killed. I think that, with the exception of a few events, mobs need to spawn about 50-100% slower.

Other than that, I'd say the game is pretty close. Most of the other things are fairly minor / nitpicky. There are some annoying glitches / bugs (i.e. killing harpy nests, and being stuck in an invisible corridor). I submitted as many bug reports as I could, I hope they get worked out.

huh i thought this spawn rate was based on the number of people in the zone.  would make sense that they respawn so fast since basically everyone was low level over the weekend.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

by looking at the beta forums and reading  all the bug glitch suggestion, tech support, threat

hmm 80%

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by ScribZ

Anyone who goes into GW2 planning on 'leveling up' with the goal of reaching cap is an utter fool. It really is that simple. It has been stated time after time that GW2 does NOT have an END GAME. So why anyone would try and push thier leveling experience is just crazy dumb. By the time you hit 30 of 80 you have all your quickbar slots open, and if you did something besides race for XP, you probably already have a really good set of traits and skills to work with.

I am willing to bet them there are a lot of fools, you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise, plenty of players will want to get to 80 as quickly as possible just to say "hey look at me I am 80". From a PvP standpoint the big PvP guilds will be pushing that so they can in their minds dominate, again as I said if you think otherwise you are in for a rude awakening.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

I am willing to bet them there are a lot of fools, you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise, plenty of players will want to get to 80 as quickly as possible just to say "hey look at me I am 80". From a PvP standpoint the big PvP guilds will be pushing that so they can in their minds dominate, again as I said if you think otherwise you are in for a rude awakening.

I have to agree.

For WvWvW alone people will race to 80. Even though siege weapons are more of a factor than character level.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I am really expecting a release date announcement soon as they get done pouring thru the date and bug reports from this beta weekend. I think we are much closer to release than people think.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

90%

3% content completion, some dialogue isnt done yet, this is to be expected, a few quest DE tweaks.

7% Some classes need work still and some weapon loadouts could be better some skills need to change to be more effective.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Around 80-85%.  There was definitely a huge improvement in a lot of departments from the last beta.  Among some things that still need work:

• Numerous balance issues:  Tuning of encounters, professions in general, traits and utilities, reward tweaking (dungeon rewards are lackluster, heavy emphasis on WvWvW leaves you gold starved) etc.
    • Bugs:  There were quite a few bugs we had to report this beta from minor to major.  None gamebreaking at least experience in our guild.
    • Untested by general public areas, unsure of completion:  Anything post 35, Asura Starter Areas, Charr Starter Areas.
    • A few areas that could use improvement in UI design and functionality such as the LFG tool.
    • Many placeholder items and effects in place, especially for cooking buffs.
    I'd be surprised if it releases within the next couple of months, though the rate of improvement from the last beta it could entirely be possible.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

This happened/is happening/will happen on every themepark mmo. Its inevitable, if said themepark does not push out enough content at an inhuman pace or provide something more self-sustained like pvp it will probably die out. Here is were I think GW2 sets itself apart, its pvp.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Seeing all the numbers people are putting out, most of which make no sense in the context of a five year development schedule, asking for people to estimate a percentage is pointless.

There were a few very minor bugs here and there. A few people had some crash or performance issues, but optimization is the last thing you do and crashes will be debugged and squashed.

I played over 36 hours during the course of BWE2 on a Superclocked GTX 570 and had only one crash all weekend, with that being at the six hour mark.

There are things that still need tweaking, like broadcast range for Dynamic Events, the difficulty of some DEs and a couple professions could use some tweaking as well, but that's all stuff that could be nailed down in a month, or will be an ongoing process even after the game launches.

Based completely on what we had access to and my play experiences over the weekend, the game could launch next month. In fact, the BWE was in better shape all around than many MMOs are three months after launch!

What we don't know is how complete the remainder of the content is. My sense is that the game is content complete, but there is still a lot of internal testing of the many zones we won't see until launch, to try to get them in shape to go live. We know they are holding back over 2/3 of the game zones until launch and no matter how much internal and Closed Beta testing they do, some stuff won't be caught until 100s of thousands of people bang away at it. If the rest of the zones are in the same shape as the level 25-35 zone we gained access to this weekend, I'd still say the game could launch next month.

Beyond what we've seen, we don't really know much, other than the hints that the game is indeed content complete, though some content may still be undergoing fine tuning and bug squashing. The lack of Asura and Sylvari in Public Betas don't tell us anything, as they've hinted they may hold back one or both until launch. Same goes for higher level content and Dungeons, most of that we will not see until launch, so their absense from Public Beta tells us nothing.

Depending on the internal state of the rest of the content, I can see the game being released sometime between mid July and the end of August. I know some people had issues that detracted from their weekend experience, but for me things were pretty flawless and I would have been very happy with the state of what I saw if the game had just launched.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

on the WvW thing. The worlds will be ranked post release. IE worlds that do really well and have kick ass pvp guilds will end up getting highly ranked while worlds with large pve base that doesnt like to pvp much will lose a lot at the start and get a low rank. Over time the worlds will seperate into the good average and bad at pvp worlds and with the ranking system only fight each other. As a world improves their pvp they could then move up in the ranking systems. Thus the population imbalance in WvW will work itself out over time. Low WvW populated worlds will end up fighting each other and high pop worlds will fight each other and the zerg tactics will be less viable. Since BWE's only last 3 days at a time its kinda hard to sort the worlds at this point and you see a ton of imbalance.

Longterm they might have to add things to the WvW in low pop pvp servers to make the map slighty easier to take over and control by smaller groups of players - perhaps making smaller WvW maps. Only time will tell with this post release as things sort themselves out.

I have not been to any significant mid level or high level areas so based on only low level area's I would say the game is basically finished with only final balance tweaks remaining and a few bugs here and there. I expect a few more BWE's so they can get good numbers on balance issues while they finish taking care of the list of bugs that need to be dealt with pre-release and make a list of bugs that can be dealt with post release. At this point I would expect a fall release to be ready for the christmas season. Perhaps September. Maybe October.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

On a global scale? Certainly not ready. 40% Done?

This game still hasn't found a sweet spot in difficult, as a result for issues in weapon & class balance as well as up/downscaling of events and player stats. This isn't a small thing, content means not much if it isn't scaled appropiate.

The game is also still missing it's real client.
    Item stat distribution and drop rates are to be finalized either.

If it was only content that was missing i would have had higher hopes for a fast release :)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by skydiver12

The game is also still missing it's real client.

Real client?

You know that is the real client.

The only thing they will add is a line so you choose a target folder to install.

Just like the Guild Wars client.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Originally posted by skydiver12 The game is also still missing it's real client.  
    Real client?

The only thing they will add is a line so you choose a target folder to install.

My Real client definition is obviously not what you think i mean.
    For starters, got DX10/11 in the current Beta Weekend client?

Besides i prefer my programms registry and install routine free. Cleaning the appdata folder manualy is tiresome enough. But please go on.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

They already did with the Gw2Setup.exe

There was an option on which folder to install.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Over 9000.

Spoken like a true wow kid.. good job!

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Ovum

So, after this second beta test, how do you guys think the game is completed as a percentage? Don’t mind the missing content. Just an overall assessment.

Another person making another thread on, "When is Guild wars 2 coming out?". Read the other threads and get some type of idea.. better yet, wait like the rest of us. Thanks :)

Originally posted by seridan

They already did with the Gw2Setup.exe

There was an option on which folder to install.

I just updated so didn't know they already added that.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by skydiver12 The game is also still missing it's real client.  
    Real client?

Besides i prefer my programms registry and install routine free. Cleaning the appdata folder manualy is tiresome enough. But please go on.

Considering the numerous posts I've seen around various forums believing that GW2 client can't just be a GW2.exe and a GW2.dat file, forgive me if I misinterpreted your post.

Obviously there are a bunch of things that aren't in the client yet, but many of them won't be regardless being ready or not until release.

So the real client, will only be out for release.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Realistically: 3 months of bug fixing, content polishing, optimization, skill balancing and eventually some game mechanics improvements.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Real client?

Dx10/11 support has nothing to do with the "real" client. What they have used IS the real client. You obviously need to adjust your definition of what a client is.

As for registry entries, GW1 and 2 don't have required registry entries. Most entries found are put there by windows. As for install routine free. How much easier do you want it. Start the Exe and that's it. How much less routine do you want. 

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Real client?

Considering the numerous posts I've seen around various forums believing that GW2 client can't just be a GW2.exe and a GW2.dat file, forgive me if I misinterpreted your post.

Obviously there are a bunch of things that aren't in the client yet, but many of them won't be regardless being ready or not until release.

So the real client, will only be out for release.

The .exe and .dat pretty much are it. It is the same for GW1. I haven't encountered any client that is better than the GW one when it comes to loading and patching a game. It is fast unlike client like AoC, TSW, Lotro which are severe bloatware. I'd imagine due to the hundreds of files those need to check.