Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The March of the Golems.

OrsonDiturnoOrsonDiturno Member Posts: 35

Tales of Tyria and Team Legacy brings you more WvW fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oImNGXsqLF4&

Comments

• BridgerBridger Member Posts: 77

That was a ton of fun.  We had to empty out 3-5 keeps and some towers and supply camps to build all those.  We had a great time though.  Was totally worth it!

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111

Well, my wild guess... Tank Wars is overrated. We will see Golem Wars at GW2!

All PvP guilds will want create a golem army....

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

Is it really that much fun though, I just found it a mindlessly zerging experience where no single players skill could matter at all.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by mrcjevans

Is it really that much fun though, I just found it a mindlessly zerging experience where no single players skill could matter at all.

Well eventually it will change and guilds or large groups will change allthat into strategic battles. I hope! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Well eventually it will change and guilds or large groups will change allthat into strategic battles. I hope! 

I REALLY do hope so man, I want it to be good don't get me wrong ha, just speaking from my own experience with the betas thus far.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by Amjoco

I REALLY do hope so man, I want it to be good don't get me wrong ha, just speaking from my own experience with the betas thus far.

I disagree, there's so many times where I myself have done individual acts that have turned the tide of a fight, or have seen others do so such as resurrecting key teammates, splitting off to assault a lesser objective, focusing down a certain foe etc. But that being said large numbers will always be better so one can coordinate different platoons, flanking groups and so on.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Need more commanders on the maps.  One full team zerg is all it turns into charging each item individually.  With more commanders, you can strategically hit 2 gates at once, hit 2 towers at once...really through the enemy teams off as they are frantic to defend both.

• BridgerBridger Member Posts: 77

I don't think WvW is about individual player skill.  It's about working as a team in a coordinated manor.  You really don't get the full impact on WvW until your in a guild who is working with 200+ people (multiple guilds) and coordinating the battle across 4 maps.  We had recon groups keeping tabs on enemy movments, defense groups specifically tasked to keep everything upgraded and the supply flowing, and supply sapping forces who's job it was to disrupt enemy supply.  

That was all being coordinated through multiple teamspeak servers to the leaders of the individual smaller groups.  I never heard any of the commander chat myself (I was just a grunt), but being a part of it was a ton of fun :)

That all being said, the March of Golems was just for the lulz.  We had already owned 90% of the maps all day.  We didn't use it as a normal tactic.  We were actually worried that the players not affiliated with our alliance would take all the objectives and then we'd have nothing to do with the 100 golems :(

Originally posted by Arachneus1

Need more commanders on the maps.  One full team zerg is all it turns into charging each item individually.  With more commanders, you can strategically hit 2 gates at once, hit 2 towers at once...really through the enemy teams off as they are frantic to defend both.

We had only 1 or 2 people with the commander icon, but we had upwards of 10 groups running around the 4 maps within our alliance alone.  I agree, though, that more commander icons will help.  We only had 2  large groups running around in the first beta, but we found that the multitude of smaller groups was much more useful this time around.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

OMG! That is the most epic thing I have ever seen in a MMO!

Awesome! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

The only thing good about golems that I found was that they are the only offensive siege weapon that could pratically be made solo by a player for attacking an enemy base. 100 players with 2500 rams, which costs the same as 100 golems, and holding 1000 supplies could make up to 25 rams per keep attack at up to 100 keeps. An army of 100 golems just can't beat that.

Edit: However, one thing I didn't see golems being used for yet were as defenders against rams. I think they might actually make decent ram destroyers. Stationary defenses can be targeted and destroyed before a ram is built while golems can still be around even after those defenses are gone. I'm a bit curious if they can go through a portal, kill a ram, then move back into a base before they are completely destroyed.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

LOL that is sooooo going to be knocked outta the park with the good ole nerf bat...

Sssssssss SWING!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Sorrow

LOL that is sooooo going to be knocked outta the park with the good ole nerf bat...

Sssssssss SWING!

That's what i though too.  Although it looks fun, i just can't imagine A-net letting that happen all the time.  It's too much of an imbalance. lol.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by observer

Sssssssss SWING!

That's what i though too.  Although it looks fun, i just can't imagine A-net letting that happen all the time.  It's too much of an imbalance. lol.

I highly doubt that it's a viable long term strategy anyway. They had to empty out a large chunk of their suply resources, not to mention the insane gold costs, in order to accomplish this. Remember the real WvW battles will last 2 weeks, while these ones lasted a day each.

Also, a large, well coordinated defense force would've probably destroyed those golems with AoE.

It was a very fun video to watch and you'll probably see something similar from time to time, if it doesn't get nerfed, but I just don't see it as a serious strategy.

Sssssssss SWING!

I would be more worried about what a good defense could accomplish than a good offense. A good defense can consist of more siege weapons that are more cost effective. A person could buy like 1666 ballistas instead of 100 golems. The limits of ballista though are that trebuchets own them in range, line of sight issues, the amount of supplies it would take to make that ballista, the number of people to man the ballista, and the number that you can fit on a wall at a time. Ballistas can take out just about anything that gets too close to a wall.

ArenaNet's Mike Ferguson commented on a post containing the video on the official forums saying:

"Thanks TL, that music is going to be in my head every time I swim through that lake for a while now.

Once we fix matchmaking, something like this should be nearly impossible to execute against any sort of coordinated resistance with a couple of ballistas or catapults. Golems really don’t like ballistas.

All I know is that someone told me doors took an hour to take down, so this had to be photoshopped."