Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allods has leap-frogged itself into a really good place

LuxuriousLuxurious Member Posts: 32

I just wanted to chime in and share my experience with Allods this past weekend.

I played Allods briefly about two years ago after getting bored of Warcraft. I found it to be a sluggish wow-clone and immediately lost interest. I then gravitated toward Darkfall for the insanely brutal PVP, and was able to do that for a year or so.

Recently I got very into Swtor, but it started to fade off my radar about two months ago, and, at this point, you couldn't pay me to go back to World of Warcraft, pandas or not, or Darkfall, or any of the rest of the crap that's out there.

Then came the Beta weekend for Guild Wars 2. I have been looking forward to this game for several years. I was literally shocked by how much I didn't like it. I'm sorry, I know it's supposed to be next gen, but I was wildly disappointed, almost depressed actually. I would seriously rather invest time in Guild Wars 1 and not even be able to have the option to "space bar" (jump) then invest time in Guild Wars 2. It's fairly gorgeous, and it's fun for a while to just see the world... but I felt no sense of connection to what was happening in the game, I just couldn't get invested on any level.

So I heard that Allods has massively improved, and became curious. "How much better can it be? You can't polish a turd" was my thought.

But...

Holy. Freaking. *&%#.

Allods is INCREDIBLE.

I don't remember being this entrenched/immersed in an MMO since Vanilla WoW. For the first time in six years, I couldn't pry myself away from the computer for a 15 hour block. I am HOOKED. Seriously, they might as well change the name, it is like an entirely new game. And yet, there it is, the same world, the same races.... I don't know how they did it, I guess just years of major polishing and devotion?

I'm not sure how they went from being one of the dullest games for questing and a worthless PVP offering, to boasting the single best Quest-mechanics I have EVER. FREAKING. SEEN. PERIOD.   Dear God it's like sweet mana from heaven, it's so fluid and there are so many innovations, I'm not even going to be able to scratch the surface here. I have two words for you: Auto Move. AND the PVP is balanced. It's actually BALANCED. And the movement mechanics aren't crappy like Lotr or Conan, they're totally fluid and every bit as wonderful as one could hope for. And the sense of design and aesthetic put into the gear is totally bad ass, beautiful and unique.  I've never been so happy to see a character in a deer antler helm with purple sunglasses before.

By the way, if you've ever played a hunter and a rogue in WoW, and wished you could combine them into one class, this is your game.

And the world is vast and the look/feel is such a staggering achievement: the blend of sci fi and fantasy, old west and the "dark arts" of magic, naval-like warship battles that take place in the astral plane.... all nestled in a weird, Russian ambiance, it's hard to look away from it. Unless you're auto moving of course. <3

And the community is soo damned great. Dare I say mature? I will say intelligent and decent and kind of awesome. So different from what I've become accustomed to.

I AM SHOCKED to be writing this. I honestly don't even know why I downloaded it, I was 100% sure it was going to suck damp, churning balls. And yet here I am, just totally stunned. This game is the king of the hill as far as I'm concerned. It's easily the most innovative MMO I've seen.

I own a print shop / cyber cafe, and I'm here in my shop, and I've got a life if you know what i mean... but right now I can't wait to get home and log in to Allods.

The End.

PS: here's how I approached the in game store: I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than what I would spend on a new game, so I gave myself a $60 budget. Since you can get a mount at level 4, i went ahead and got the most epic mount in the game. Then I bought a Magpie Feather, which will spawn into a bird and go get ALL OF YOUR Loot for you - nothing gets left behind. So you can just destroy everything around you and not even bother looting it, your bird goes and gets all of it. Then I bought a few stacks of 100% level increase buffs. Then I bought some gems that you need for something called "Runes" which is one of three ways you define your character's talents. (For people like me who looove talent trees and the way you can "shape" a character with skills and points and so forth, Allods is like an absolute wet dream). And guess what? I'm still 20 dollars under budget. It's the best $40 I've ever spent.

If anyone decides to try it out, look me up, I"m Luxurious, League side. On a final note, I almost always play darkside stuff in MMO's, but this game has a race called Gibberlings that I couldn't stay away from. Also, I find the starting zone for the league to have a lot more eyecandy-win than the "baddie" side.

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Should have ended with the-

"The post has been brought to you by the Allods marketing team, and the letter A."

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• LuxuriousLuxurious Member Posts: 32

Wrong, dude, it was brought to you buy someone who owns a print shop in the United States, who has fallen in love with a game, but who has zero association with the game makers. My sentiments expressed are 100% genuine. If you're referring to the in game store, what's wrong with dropping $40 on a game? I don't see where I need to spend another dime at this point, and it feels like a worthy investment given that I'm totally enjoying it. =D

The only reason I wrote this is for people like myself, who have been so disappointed of late in the genre. I'm not easy to please at this stage, and I really am surprised by overarching awesomeness of Allods. I really and truly am surprised, especially given that I played it before and found it to suck... it's insane, but here we are. Allods is incredibly fun and captivating entertainment. That's my honest opinion, I'm not getting a single thing out of this other than just being able to vent my excitement.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Maybe so, and maybe Im being overly cynical. But youve never posted here before about any of those games you've played.

And its such a well thought out and written post. It reads like a commercial...a well written one mind you.

Its just writen a little too "sweet". Not that Im saying Allods is a bad game, Im not. Just a little to coincidental, for me. And like I said maybe I just being too cynical.

But no matter what the motive, it is a nice post.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

How much is Allods paying you?

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Luxurious

I just wanted to chime in and share my experience with Allods this past weekend.

I played Allods briefly about two years ago after getting bored of Warcraft. I found it to be a sluggish wow-clone and immediately lost interest. I then gravitated toward Darkfall for the insanely brutal PVP, and was able to do that for a year or so.

Recently I got very into Swtor, but it started to fade off my radar about two months ago, and, at this point, you couldn't pay me to go back to World of Warcraft, pandas or not, or Darkfall, or any of the rest of the crap that's out there.

Then came the Beta weekend for Guild Wars 2. I have been looking forward to this game for several years. I was literally shocked by how much I didn't like it. I'm sorry, I know it's supposed to be next gen, but I was wildly disappointed, almost depressed actually. I would seriously rather invest time in Guild Wars 1 and not even be able to have the option to "space bar" (jump) then invest time in Guild Wars 2. It's fairly gorgeous, and it's fun for a while to just see the world... but I felt no sense of connection to what was happening in the game, I just couldn't get invested on any level.

So I heard that Allods has massively improved, and became curious. "How much better can it be? You can't polish a turd" was my thought.

But...

Holy. Freaking. *&%#.

Allods is INCREDIBLE.

I don't believe you.

I don't remember being this entrenched/immersed in an MMO since Vanilla WoW. For the first time in six years, I couldn't pry myself away from the computer for a 15 hour block. I am HOOKED. Seriously, they might as well change the name, it is like an entirely new game. And yet, there it is, the same world, the same races.... I don't know how they did it, I guess just years of major polishing and devotion?

I'm not sure how they went from being one of the dullest games for questing and a worthless PVP offering, to boasting the single best Quest-mechanics I have EVER. FREAKING. SEEN. PERIOD. 

What is different about the Quest system that makes it the best quest-mechanic you have ever seen? Just curious.

Dear God it's like sweet mana from heaven, it's so fluid and there are so many innovations, I'm not even going to be able to scratch the surface here. I have two words for you: Auto Move. AND the PVP is balanced. It's actually BALANCED. And the movement mechanics aren't crappy like Lotr or Conan, they're totally fluid and every bit as wonderful as one could hope for. And the sense of design and aesthetic put into the gear is totally bad ass, beautiful and unique.  I've never been so happy to see a character in a deer antler helm with purple sunglasses before.

Hrm, from what I remember the movements were exactly like WoW...

By the way, if you've ever played a hunter and a rogue in WoW, and wished you could combine them into one class, this is your game.

And the world is vast and the look/feel is such a staggering achievement: the blend of sci fi and fantasy, old west and the "dark arts" of magic, naval-like warship battles that take place in the astral plane.... all nestled in a weird, Russian ambiance, it's hard to look away from it. Unless you're auto moving of course. <3

Come on...

And the community is soo damned great. Dare I say mature? I will say intelligent and decent and kind of awesome. So different from what I've become accustomed to.

I AM SHOCKED to be writing this. I honestly don't even know why I downloaded it, I was 100% sure it was going to suck damp, churning balls. And yet here I am, just totally stunned. This game is the king of the hill as far as I'm concerned. It's easily the most innovative MMO I've seen.

You sound like the guy, what's his name?, who took over after the other dude bailed on Allods and tried to sell it... The guy that took over was pretty vulgar... you might be him.

I own a print shop / cyber cafe, and I'm here in my shop, and I've got a life if you know what i mean... but right now I can't wait to get home and log in to Allods.

The End.

PS: here's how I approached the in game store: I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than what I would spend on a new game, so I gave myself a $60 budget. Since you can get a mount at level 4, i went ahead and got the most epic mount in the game. Then I bought a Magpie Feather, which will spawn into a bird and go get ALL OF YOUR Loot for you - nothing gets left behind. So you can just destroy everything around you and not even bother looting it, your bird goes and gets all of it. Then I bought a few stacks of 100% level increase buffs. Then I bought some gems that you need for something called "Runes" which is one of three ways you define your character's talents. (For people like me who looove talent trees and the way you can "shape" a character with skills and points and so forth, Allods is like an absolute wet dream). And guess what? I'm still 20 dollars under budget. It's the best $40 I've ever spent.

If anyone decides to try it out, look me up, I"m Luxurious, League side. On a final note, I almost always play darkside stuff in MMO's, but this game has a race called Gibberlings that I couldn't stay away from. Also, I find the starting zone for the league to have a lot more eyecandy-win than the "baddie" side.

Ya I agree with the above poster about this being a marketing post... yay...

Originally posted by Hokie

Maybe so, and mybe Im being overly cynical.

But youve never posted here before about any of those games you've played.

And its such a well thought out and written post.

It reads like a commercial...A well written one mind you.

Its just writen a little too "sweet". Not that Im saying Allods is a bad game, Im not.

Just a little to coincidental, for me. And like I said mybe I just being to cynical.

But not matter what the motive, it is a nice post.

Ha, I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted! The reality is this is the first time i've been excited enough by an MMO to write something. I'm just in the midst of courting. It's like that thing that happens to kids where they meet each other then get so excited about it they tell their moms. I just need to vent brother! It's all totally real. I understand that I may be alone in my opinions... but that's so hard to imagine, I would think someone would have a similar experience to me with Allods. I will grant that some of this might be feuled by expectations being very low, but I can't argue with results. Keep in mind, I'm taking time out of my day to compose these posts, it's just fueled by excitement.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Allods is a polished game, but they still have the same problems they had at launch.

They game seems great at early lvls, if not a little low on population. However very quickly (by the mid 20s) the game starts to get very, VERY grindy. Furthermore the cashshop is still P2W, and it's extremely obvious once you get into PvP. You can hold your own against other players who aren't using the cashshop, but as soon as you start fighting someone who bought their gear, you are getting 1-2 shotted left and right.

To make it even worse, the new class they added (the bard) is stupidly overpowered. This one class can tank, heal, and outdps most classes, all at the same time.

The game had a lot of potential, but it is still yet another F2P game ruined by a horribly implemented cashshop.

Originally posted by Morv

What is different about the Quest system that makes it the best quest-mechanic you have ever seen? Just curious.

Well for starters, you can right-click on the map or on the mini map and "Auto move" to any quest marker or quest giver in the game. I can't do it justice here. My play style works perfect with the Magpie Feather. I have a scout (think hunter meets rogue) and I've increased his bow range by 30% using "rubies" (again, I can't do it justice here), so I basically reign terror down on mobs from afar and my bird flies and gets all the loot, allowing me to just carnage my way from quest hub to quest hub. It also let's me get more immersed in the story because I have so much extra time to invest in it, as I'm not running back and forth all over the place; the quest chains are laid out brilliantly, and with auto run, you never feel like you're going the wrong way. At least I don't. I know it might sound lame in terms of having too much "done for you", but that's just my failed attempt to explain the awesomeness of the features.
    Originally posted by aesperus

Allods is a polished game, but they still have the same problems they had at launch.

They game seems great at early lvls, if not a little low on population. However very quickly (by the mid 20s) the game starts to get very, VERY grindy. Furthermore the cashshop is still P2W, and it's extremely obvious once you get into PvP. You can hold your own against other players who aren't using the cashshop, but as soon as you start fighting someone who bought their gear, you are getting 1-2 shotted left and right.

To make it even worse, the new class they added (the bard) is stupidly overpowered. This one class can tank, heal, and outdps most classes, all at the same time.

The game had a lot of potential, but it is still yet another F2P game ruined by a horribly implemented cashshop.

If you take a year's subsription from any other game, do you really think you need to spend more than  that to get on an even playing field? Just do the math, you really don't. I think the store is awesome, but I say that as someone who has never used an in game store before. Having played only WoW, Swtor and Darkfall, I never had a reason to. I actually prefer it over being bound to a subscription.

Originally posted by Letsinod

How much is Allods paying you?

Wow this is getting surreal. Nobody is paying me anything. I own my own business, lol. Look, I just happen to be getting a nerd-on over Allods at the moment, I promise you I'm legit. I'm just sitting in front of a computer in the print shop that I own, and I'm typing, I have no agenda other than to share my enthusiasm.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by aesperus

the game did have too much potential, let many testers down when it came to the game going live, FOD, the curse system, the implementation of a grindier lvls, insence is needed for everything, and the rune system, I dont want to start on the rune system, very cash shop oriented play.

Originally posted by VPgearchin

the game did have too much potential, let many testers down when it came to the game going live, FOD, the curse system, the implementation of a grindier lvls, insence is needed for everything, and the rune system, I dont want to start on the rune system, very cash shop oriented play.

Have you tried it recently? And my new stance on cash shops: how much do you spend on subscriptions a year?  I've looked into how much it'll take to get maxxed out in runes, and if you employ just a bit of savvy, it's certainly a lot less than you'd pay on an entire year's subcription, by a long stretch.

Let's say you don't have a credit card and you buy game cards. What's the difference between spending 30 dollars on a game-time card for two months of play and spending 30 dollars on a gpotatoes card that you can redeem in the cash store at your leisure? Now take this over the course of a year. Do you really think you need to spend over $180 a year in the cash shop to be competitive? Hell no.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

This post has an odour similar to that which perpetually hangs over Washington D.C., what is it called again? Oh yeah, BULLSH*T.

However in the off chance that you actually are sincere, then I wish you the best of luck with your newfound game of choice. I actually did kind of like it myself back when it released, but PVP being non-consentual pretty much killed it for me.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

No one stopped playing it because it was a bad game (well maybe some didn't like it)

However, EVERYONE stopped because its a pay to win game

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Hokie

Maybe so, and maybe Im being overly cynical. But youve never posted here before about any of those games you've played.

And its such a well thought out and written post. It reads like a commercial...a well written one mind you.

Its just writen a little too "sweet". Not that Im saying Allods is a bad game, Im not. Just a little to coincidental, for me. And like I said maybe I just being too cynical.

But no matter what the motive, it is a nice post.

I don't think you are overly cynical and you were not the only person with the same reaction.

Hasn't allods be  guilty of shilling in the forums before?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

$dollA

That's all I saw the first time I looked at the name.  Then I read about the P2W, and thought I might be on to something...

Listen. I'm not a god damned shill. I got excited, started an account here so I could babble in my afore mentioned excitement. I'm not saying it's the living end, I'm saying it's really really really MUCH better than what I was expecting, ESPECIALLY GIVEN that I had played it BEFORE, and found it to SUCK DAMP, CHURNING BALLS.

Will someone actually take the time to read my OP before calling it BS, because, bitches, THAT is BS. 

And now let me say this:

If you really think that having to spend money in the game shop is so awful, then why bother spending money on games at all? I did the math, and i see that it will cost me less money to get everything i need to be competive in Allods than it will to pay a subscription in WoW for a year. Is there something I'm missing? What the hell is so wrong with that? Here's the deal: If you're sweating spending chump change in a game shop, then you are losing the game of life, the end. I would very much recommend that you stop spending money on subcriptions, and, frankly, stop playing games online alltogether until you figure out how to earn a decent living. Because if you're whining about Allod's method of making money vs WoW's, then you're whining about peanuts, and I think it's safe to say you need to go get your shit together before you spend any more time playing games online, let alone trolling forums and accusing excited gamers of being shills.  

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

I actuallly appriciate Lux's comments about Allods.

I played Allods a couple yrs ago. It was fun, but really grindy at that time so I quit at level 19.

Anyway, so what is Lux like Allods...I think that's great. Allods would have already folded if there were not people like Lux enjoying it. If you disagree, no big deal, but don't hammer a dude for enjoying something you may not.

For a community that is suppose to be so elivated and liberal, you all sure seem very short sighted...typical democrats.

If anyone has managed to wade through the "I'm a shill" bs, trust me, I'm definitely not gaining anything by posting my opinions here other than satisfying myself with knowing that maybe someone will feel the same way. Etc., etc.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

$dollA

That's all I saw the first time I looked at the name.  Then I read about the P2W, and thought I might be on to something...

Haha that's too funny. The first time I saw the name Allods, I thought it said Dollas Online. Not too far from the truth, ironically enough.

Joined - July 2004

One last comment: I'm going to go play Allods now! Good night. 

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by VPgearchin

Have you tried it recently? And my new stance on cash shops: how much do you spend on subscriptions a year?  I've looked into how much it'll take to get maxxed out in runes, and if you employ just a bit of savvy, it's certainly a lot less than you'd pay on an entire year's subcription, by a long stretch.

Let's say you don't have a credit card and you buy game cards. What's the difference between spending 30 dollars on a game-time card for two months of play and spending 30 dollars on a gpotatoes card that you can redeem in the cash store at your leisure? Now take this over the course of a year. Do you really think you need to spend over $180 a year in the cash shop to be competitive? Hell no.

What happens at day 31 in your comparison between a sub fee and a pay to win cash shop ? The P2W option means that they have the benefit of that full $180 you are comparing them to immediately.

The sub fee game doesnt allow you to pay a full year's subscription up front in order to be max level, max gear, etc from day one. The cash shop allows you have $180 worth of advantage over others right away.

The difference is pretty significant.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Sigh.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

This OP is exaggerating way too much. Allods Online is not as great as he is claiming. They still have the problem with the P2W cash shop, not to mention the leveling curve is annoyingly slow. This is coming from someone who enjoys taking his time. I'd love to say great stuff about Allods Online. I just can't do it. It would be a great game if they fixed some stuff with it, but as it is now it's not as great as the OP is trying to make it sound. Not even half as great.

Smile

This discussion has been closed.