Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the sub fee + item shop keeping anyone away?

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Definitely keeping me away.

Only stupid people dont understand why a game with a subscription shouldnt also have a cash shop.  Has nothing to do with how minor the items are in the shop.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

For now it doesn't bother me really - the game seems intresting enough to give it a try and I assume that I will play it 20+ h in the first month. Hence I don't see the money being wasted for the 'box'. If I feel I need to buy things in the cash shop to enjoy the game properly I would likely cancel my account. But from what I read they have no intention to do so and even the F2P model of AoC doesn't feature any P2W items. I don't care if there are items that would allow players to progress faster and reach 'end game' - if I need to buy items to be successful in the 'endgame' it's an absolut no for my part however.

If the game makes me want to play the game at least once per week for an evening or two + the developers add content on a regular basis I don't mind the subscription fee either - it's still fairly cheap evening entertainment compared to almost everything else.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I agree with Rhowin.

I've played games with a cash shop and sub fee.

Both went f2p, but I still don't use the cash shop. (AoC and DCUO)

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Lowfer69

No the ability to solo everything except the instances is keeping me away, which sucks because I love the setting and don't even mind the combat. This design of making a game soloable from start to level cap is getting old. Some good games like Rift and not so great like SWTOR are completely ruined with the solo to cap systems and sadly Secret World seems to be the same thing. Not to mention you can probably do it in two weeks or less like all games seem to be these days. So went back to EQ and thinking of making a run at DAoC soon.

I wonder how you are going to "do" the game in two weeks? You might finish the main story in that time, but you won't have played the normal, elite and nightmare dungeons, the lairs with summonable lair bosses, the region bosses, the two minigames or the persistant PvP. You won't be close to getting all the abilities for your character either.

If you "do" TSW in two weeks you are skipping a load of content and only playing parts of the game.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

This comes up for pretty much every game now.  Since most successful MMO's require a sub, and have for well over a decade, no, that won't keep me away.  People call too many games F2P.  Many have a restricted version that requires cash payments to upgrade aspects on an individual basis. GW1 was one of the few successful, "real" F2P games, but I didn't really like it that much.  Since a good MMO will likely prevent me from buying other games, they usually save me money. The item shop is not that big of a deal.  Many other games have impplemented them, and despite the doomsayers claiming disaster if a cash shop was implemented, most people simply didn't care, and nothing changed.

I do think it would be pretty slimey if the only cool looking clothing items were cash only. Most of the items are supposed to be reward items and sold in-game by vendors.  Cash shops should only contain a handful of cosmetic items. No matter the case, I will never pay cash for a cosmetic item.  I'll be fine with whatever is in game.   If they are smart they will do it similar to games like EQ2, where you virtual cash for the item shop, as customer loyalty rewards. Some each month, and a bigger chunk if you buy an expansion.  That would at least give people the opportunity to get some of those items without having to payout real cash.

No the ability to solo everything except the instances is keeping me away, which sucks because I love the setting and don't even mind the combat. This design of making a game soloable from start to level cap is getting old. Some good games like Rift and not so great like SWTOR are completely ruined with the solo to cap systems and sadly Secret World seems to be the same thing. Not to mention you can probably do it in two weeks or less like all games seem to be these days. So went back to EQ and thinking of making a run at DAoC soon.

I understand that, as a personal preference, but being soloable was what made WoW so popular, and pretty much every game since has followed suit. At this point, a grouping only game would be nothing more than a niche game.  Time is valuable, and many people don't want to have to spend most of their game time trying to find a group, with nothing to do but sit around waiting.  Or they may not have the ability to give the game their entire focus, so they solo and take frequent breaks while they are doing other things. You may not like it, but most people want to be able to solo when they want, and group when they want.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

On topic: I am going to ignore the cash shop and pretend it doesn't exist.

Regarding the grouping: I talked to two friends of mine that had played the open beta in a duo. One of them liked the help he got solving investigation quests, while they other guy liked the help he got in combat. If you group up you can take on harder content than you could alone, die less often be social at the same time. I don't see why they need to add any more incentives to grouping up than that.

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

I wonder how you are going to "do" the game in two weeks? You might finish the main story in that time, but you won't have played the normal, elite and nightmare dungeons, the lairs with summonable lair bosses, the region bosses, the two minigames or the persistant PvP. You won't be close to getting all the abilities for your character either.

If you "do" TSW in two weeks you are skipping a load of content and only playing parts of the game.

So I'm gonna say "I told you so" now for when someone posts that they got all the Abilities and have done all the content in less than a month. Don't tell me it won't happen because it has happened in every MMO since WoW that I have tried and I promise that is almost all of them. Designers don't seem to design games with longevity in mind anymore. Hurry up and get to cap so you can grind gear or some version of a token system to get raid gear. Blah Blah Blah it's getting old. There needs to be a revolution and it will happen eventually but the question is can I stand the genre until it happens. I will do my best to get as much fun out of these games as I can but I have stopped looking at games for a long term fix. Now I pretty much know that even at my alt. making casual pace I can't seem to get more than 6 months out of a MMO anymore.

I understand that there is a desire by gamers for a quick fix and soloing makes that possible, no matter what but, does that mean we have to be able to solo the whole game? The only content that requires grouping at all anymore is Instance dungeons and Raiding. For me that is really a small portion of the game, or atleast is should be. Sitting in instanced area's should be a small part of the game compared to the WORLD or WORLDS outside of it. Look at the size of the world compared to the size of the instances and raids. It's became a lobby system and I want my worlds back. If that makes my wishes a niche game then at least give us our niche, that's really all I'm asking. I know that is very unlikely because it's really about making money and that's all it's about anymore, not creating living breathing worlds, but making lobby's to sit in so we can do our 30-60 minute chunks of content on a treadmill to collect little tokens or points or whatever the widget is to get out uber grearz.

• markt50markt50 Member Posts: 132

Yes, the cash shop is keeping me far far away. I went from being very interested in the game and it being a definate purchase, to having no interest other than a morbid curiosity in seeing how the game pans out.

For the record, it was the fact that funcom stated the ingame cash store would be 'mostly' convenience that bothered me and as far as I know they have never gone on to clarify what that means. Does it mean the ingame store will be 99% clothes and 1%  'I Win' potions, or do they have something else up there sleeves ? Regardless, I just don't like cash shops in games at all, I've no problem spending a load of money for a good game, just not via an ingame store that would encourage game development by suits looking at financial spreadsheets rather than devs developing content for fun.

Also, these games have a horrible habit of just devolving to the point where all new content gets pushed out via the ingame store like in EQ2, just makes me sick when they could be putting these items in the game with some great quest or game mechanic wrapped around it. Instead these companies seem intent on going the 'swipe and loot, swipe and loot' route, It's like the ultimate grind with your credit card as the weapon, lol.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I should start by saying I would never buy this without thorough play testing first.  But even then, I've reached a point where no game with a subscription interests me and I doubt TSW would change my opinion.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

As a bonafide supporter and believer in conspirency theories of all shapes and sizes in real life I decided it would not be in my best interest to play a MMO so akin to my personal sensibilities.

You asked.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

From what ive heard it's just some clothing items here and there, and since clothing has no impact on anything other than your look, and you can craft it in game as well, i really dont care, and in fact I commend Funcom for trying to max their revenue from the game. 

The item shop, won't impact play, so... who then cares. 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by fldash

Just curious. I really want to play this, but since I've already purchased GW2 and it doesn't have a subscription fee, I find it incredibly hard to justify paying a subscription fee for any other game. I would consider one that was perhaps half the cost of the traditional $15, but with a item shop, it really rubs me the wrong way...

" I find it incredibly hard to justify paying a subscription fee for any other game".

I have no problems paying for QUALITY. Here qualifies only Wow, Rift and Swtor for me. Gw (1) was trash game, one, that nobody would play if not without sub. And I have never been (since Rappelz) interested in such games. But will for sure try Gw2 after watching few videos as it looks fortunately gw2 will have nothing in common with old game except for name.

Usually who complains about sub money are smokers and drinkers that spent monthly several this ammount. And THAT is hard do justify.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Man - what a bunch of winers. If you dont want to buy the game then fine. Dont buy for whatever reason. Why on earth do you feel the need to post it here?

I should head over to the GW 2 forums and write " I wont buy GW2 because its a korean grinder and i HATE those. (same applies to RIFT, AION and Tera)"

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I pre-ordered this and after testing I am glad, its one of the best MMORPGs i have played for a long time..

I am pretty sure the cash will be similar to the one Age of Conan had before it went f2p, nothing that really interested me that much...

So no the sub + cash shop is not keeping me away as i just wont use or even look at the cash shop..

I do hate cash shops and i think f2p and cash shops have helped kill off mmorpgs for me.. and yeah its a shame funcom decided to have a cash shop as well but because there is a sub i know there wont be stuff in the cash shop that i will have to buy just to play the game.. unlike f2p+cash shop games..

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

The payment model looks fair to me so no it's not keeping me away. The lack of open world PvP and solo grinding to max level before having a reason to group is keeping me away.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

TSW- Box sale, sub fee, CS. Possible paid expansions

GW2- Box sale, CS, paid expansion, buy GW1 to have acces to HOM rewards

Don't see a problem. Companies are trying to milk your money. Nothing new.

GW2 has no sub fee.  The op stated "sub fee + cash shop".

OP: WoW has both, so I don't think it's an issue.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

The fact that this is a Funcom game is what is keeping me from pre-ordering...

Oh and beta key give away on the main page... what do you know...

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Yeah, it will keep me away.

Bought the game and will play it during the free month, but after that... A game that asks for box + sub + shop should better be top-notch in every possible way. TSW currently doesn't cut it imo.

Hype train -> Reality

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Yeah..it's bullshite. Just the other day I bought a sub and still had to pay for the drink and chips.

It was meatball with marinara.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Yeah..it's bullshite. Just the other day I bought a sub and still had to pay for the drink and chips.

It was meatball with marinara.

All other subways offer all-you-can-drink for free. Sounds like you should eat there instead.

Hype train -> Reality

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

The cash shop has no effect, but I won't be playing because of the sub.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Yeah, it will keep me away.

Bought the game and will play it during the free month, but after that... A game that asks for box + sub + shop should better be top-notch in every possible way. TSW currently doesn't cut it imo.

They are selling shirts and stuff. Not keys, not gems, not armor like some cash shops.....

I hope they put a fricken mall in with everything for 99c.! It fits so well. 

BTW did you know the manikins in London, are real manikins? You can look at each item they have on, then buy it. So much detail in this game. 

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

I don't mind a sub as usually have one going, the cash shop wouldn't matter to me BUT:  Funcom's other two games added power items for sale such as epic gear and weapons after developers said it would not happen.  If Sony released a cash shop and a sub game I wouldn't mind as they don't sell uber upgrades or items.

The second reason is because of this:  I enjoy killing stuff and getting upgrades and I hope those gear upgrades look cool.  TSW's stat items are diffrent from apearance items.  The reason, so they can design the cool stuff for the cash shop.  It isn't fun when everyone looks the same or even lame unless you plop out your credit card.

Xbox live does it as well with avators but I don't play or kill stuff with my avator 20+ hours a week and there are tons of clothing options anyway.

So yes and no for me, or maybe but to design how a toon looks by seperating stat items from looks items to boost the cash shop sales is overboard imo.  Sony and most games let you reskin your gear with cash shop stuff and in all games, the graphics of ingame items suffer post cash shop.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

It doesnt matter to me what game or what game company it is. Subscription + cash shop can blow me. Client fee + sub + cash shop I wont even give them the privlage of blowing me. I even had to debate on GW2 being a client fee + CS.  At least that way I dont have to give them money monthly.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Eh.  TSW was never my most anticipated MMO.  TERA and GW2 were, and Archeage in the long run... but no, the pricing model doesn't help.  Mainly I've heard that the combat is awful so I want to get some kind of free trial action going before I decide, because I do think the setting has the potential to be interesting.