Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TES Fans vs. SW Fans

ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Brief Background: MMO player for 16 years, Meridian 59->UO->EQ->DAOC->SB->WoW->DDO->SWTOR now Skyrim

I truly feel in my gut that this game is either going to be a HUGE success or a cataclysmic failure so large it would dwarf even the failure of SWTOR....here's why:

TES fans are very loyal to the series and those of us who played Arena or Daggerfall can testify that these games, even the new ones strike a very nostalgic chord. We will be watching over the production and finally once released we will tear this game apart with our experience, expecations and crticisms. Those of you who claim you will not play, GET REAL, YOU'RE GOING TO BUY AND PLAY JUST LIKE THE REST OF US AND JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH SWTOR!....now that I got that off my chest. Basically TES fans are hardcore nuts about this franchise and we dont want to see it nerfed, WoW'ed and dumbed down so children can play it. It needs to be hardcore, make you sweat when you play because dying is such a pain in the ass and it needs to finally have blood, tits and fatalities. 

Star Wars fans are loyal people as well. Why I think a possible TES failure would outshine even a behemoth failure as SWTOR is because Star Wars has more history and its IP is spread over movies, books, comics, tons of other video games so it would be hard to soil a name with just 1 failure out of so many other projects you have had success with, even other failures. 

In conclusion if TESO sucks, I'm seriously destroying my PC for good. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Comments

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by ZigZags

GET REAL, YOU'RE GOING TO BUY AND PLAY JUST LIKE THE REST OF US AND JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH SWTOR!

I played TOR, for about 20 minutes as a part of an open beta.  Game was a shite WoW clone so I declined to purchase (and reported BioWare as spam in my email for good measure). I'm a huge Star Wars fan btw.

Not going to comment on TES as we still have yet to see any actual gameplay, but dont delude yourself, Zenimax is in full damage control so we may not for a long time while they add TES/GW2 features and subtract WoW/SWTor ones.

P.S.- You poor bastard, you haven't played a decent MMO since Shadowbane? Damn i feel sorry you man.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by ZigZags we dont want to see it nerfed, WoW'ed and dumbed down so children can play it. It needs to be hardcore, make you sweat when you play because dying is such a pain in the ass and it needs to finally have blood, tits and fatalities. 

I love you Man!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

SW fans have seen SWTOR, they have seen how mind numbingly boring it is.

TES fans have not seen TESO, its just a rabid foaming at what might be.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I agree with the OP.

I am a huge TES fan, I played Arena, Daggerfall (Started my love for RPGs), Morrowind (My favourite), Oblivion (Half Disappointment), and obviously Skyrim.

I wanted a TES game Online so much that I added it to my Signature even before the game was announced  (I am doing the same with EQ3), because to me it was so obvious that TES was born to be made as a MMORPG that in the end it would happen. And it did.

Having said that, I have to say that from the first news I am not as excited as I was.

It looks like Zenimax is taking away everything I thought would make TES a great MMO.

Non linearity, extensive crafting, player run economy, exploration..............but most importantly the ability to play the game the way you want it.

So I agree that TES will be either a huge success or a massive flop, and the TES fans will make a difference here, more than in SWTOR.

If TES online or ESO will lose the TES feeling for the sake of making it a conventional MMO, then we will boycott the game.

I bought SWTOR because I wasn't a SW fan, so I wasn't so emotionally involved with it.

But if Zenimax Online trash Bethesda ID, I ll be royally pissed off, and trust me I am not gonna buy the game just becase it has a TES badge on the box...............

Just to make it clear, Archeage is what I expect a TES online to look like.

Any less than that, it will be a huge disappointment for me.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'm a huge ES fan.

I remember seeing Emprie strikes back in the theatre as a kid.  Loved Star Wars.

I did not buy ToR, I did not try the beta, I will not try a free trial.  I don't need to.  I've already played ToR in countless other variations.

I will not buy ESO, I will not do a beta, I will not try a free trial.  I do not need to.  I've already played every single one of the MMO's they're mimmicking, I do not have any interest in playing them again in another variation.

At 35 I have only two things that my will has not been stronger then.  My addiction to nicotine, and 20 year old blondes.  Those are the only two things I'm unable to stop endulging in.  Mat Firor and Paul Sage are neither of those things, and therefore I will have no trouble not playing their game.

A lot of people will try it that say they wont, but not all of us.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Huge SW fan here but I hate their games and none of them have really been up to par to be called a SW game. SWTOR I beta tested and played for 2 wks but in my book it isn't a MMO by definition and sure wasn't worth the cost they said.

ES is a great franchise but and true ES fan knows that it is impossible to make it a MMO. They are just raping the IP with TESO and shouldn't even use ES in the name because it isn't ES in anyway. Just a MMO in the world ES takes place in.

Originally posted by ste2000

I agree with the OP.

I am a huge TES fan, I played Arena, Daggerfall (Started my love for RPGs), Morrowind (My favourite), Oblivion (Half Disappointment), and obviously Skyrim.

I wanted a TES game Online so much that I added it to my Signature even before the game was announced  (I am doing the same with EQ3), because to me it was so obvious that TES was born to be made as a MMORPG that in the end it would happen. And it did.

Having said that, I have to say that from the first news I am not as excited as I was.

It looks like Zenimax is taking away everything I thought would make TES a great MMO.

Non linearity, extensive crafting, player run economy, exploration..............but most importantly the ability to play the game the way you want it.

So I agree that TES will be either a huge success or a massive flop, and the TES fans will make a difference here, more than in SWTOR.

If TES online or ESO will lose the TES feeling for the sake of making it a conventional MMO, then we will boycott the game.

I bought SWTOR because I wasn't a SW fan, so I wasn't so emotionally involved with it.

But if Zenimax Online trash Bethesda ID, I ll be royally pissed off, and trust me I am not gonna buy the game just becase it has a TES badge on the box...............

skyrim has a player run ecconomy?

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I agree with the OP.

Depends on how you look at it.

It has a player impacted economy.  Kind of hard to do a player run one in a single player game though, but in the MMO space player impacted would be a player run one.

Originally posted by Uhwop

I agree with the OP.

It has a player impacted economy.  Kind of hard to do a player run one in a single player game though, but in the MMO space player impacted would be a player run one.

so the TESO in your head has a player run economy then, not actual TES itself.

bit like these guys that think TESO should have FFA PVP

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I believe one of the massive difference is that STar Wars has many faces and many different versions. where as The Elder Scrolls is one cohesive world that has been in the hands of the same people since its creation 20 years ago.

Star Wars has been through so many different hands its like a joke about an asian prostitute.

So... I think The Elder Scrolls fans are a more close-knit group of people who all are enjoying the same thing, their well crafted world.

TES Online.... may upset their fans far worse than SW:TOR has upset Star Wars fans.

Originally posted by Uhwop

I agree with the OP.

so the TESO in your head has a player run economy then, not actual TES itself.

bit like these guys that think TESO should have FFA PVP

I'm just going to put you on block.  Your trolling is as bad as your reading comprehension.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Darkfallonline has all the eliments I enjoy from TES. Why would I try TOR (which I didn't) or TESO?

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by wrekognize

Darkfallonline has all the eliments I enjoy from TES. Why would I try TOR (which I didn't) or TESO?

I love Darkfall, but I feel it is missing deep lore and a good world-story.

I also think TESO could take what Darkfall (or even Mortal Online) does so well and polish it, make it even better, wrap it in TES lore and have a major hit.  Sure, it still wouldn't be original but it certainly would be the first time a AAA MMO has truly embraced actual real-time combat in a meaningful way.

I will play the beta, if only to hammer them with criticism that they'll actually listen to.  Paul Sage recently said they'll start listening to criticism when beta starts.  Might be too late by then, frankly.  But it's as good as we're going to get.

I won't put a penny down for this game if they don't fix it.  The chances of this happening are slim to none, but I care enough about TES to hold out and fight for it, even if its fruitless.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Of course not literally, since it is a single player game.

What I meant is that in TES games, crafting is such a part of the gameplay that I never had to buy anything from an NPC vendor , everything was created by me.

Crafted Items are same if not better than any looted items.

So translating this into a MMO, that means  that economy would be run by crafters/traders rather than just based on looted items or NPCs vendors.

But from what I heard, TESO crafting will not be as deep as in TES games, therefore the Economy will be loot centric like any other MMO.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I love Darkfall, but I feel it is missing deep lore and a good world-story.

I also think TESO could take what Darkfall (or even Mortal Online) does so well and polish it, make it even better, wrap it in TES lore and have a major hit.  Sure, it still wouldn't be original but it certainly would be the first time a AAA MMO has truly embraced actual real-time combat in a meaningful way.

I will play the beta, if only to hammer them with criticism that they'll actually listen to.  Paul Sage recently said they'll start listening to criticism when beta starts.  Might be too late by then, frankly.  But it's as good as we're going to get.

I won't put a penny down for this game if they don't fix it.  The chances of this happening are slim to none, but I care enough about TES to hold out and fight for it, even if its fruitless.

this on Darkfall

only I will not play the TES Online beta

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by ZigZags

GET REAL, YOU'RE GOING TO BUY AND PLAY JUST LIKE THE REST OF US AND JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH SWTOR!

P.S.- You poor bastard, you haven't played a decent MMO since Shadowbane? Damn i feel sorry you man.

I left out AoC. I loved the first 30 levels of that game. Endgame was broken and shite. Will probably not try TSW because of it.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I would love it if TES looked more like Darkfall and less like the status quo.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by Uhwop I'm a huge ES fan. I remember seeing Emprie strikes back in the theatre as a kid.  Loved Star Wars. I did not buy ToR, I did not try the beta, I will not try a free trial.  I don't need to.  I've already played ToR in countless other variations. I will not buy ESO, I will not do a beta, I will not try a free trial.  I do not need to.  I've already played every single one of the MMO's they're mimmicking, I do not have any interest in playing them again in another variation.

This (probably). I'm used to waiting a few months before buying any TES game just to give the mod community time to improve it. And WoW-clone MMOs don't excite me enough to hand-over my money on release day. I'll watch and wait and enjoy the 'debate', and if the released product isn't something I want to play then I'll ignore it, just as I did ToR.

Originally posted by crack_fox

Originally posted by Uhwop I'm a huge ES fan. I remember seeing Emprie strikes back in the theatre as a kid.  Loved Star Wars. I did not buy ToR, I did not try the beta, I will not try a free trial.  I don't need to.  I've already played ToR in countless other variations. I will not buy ESO, I will not do a beta, I will not try a free trial.  I do not need to.  I've already played every single one of the MMO's they're mimmicking, I do not have any interest in playing them again in another variation.

This (probably). I'm used to waiting a few months before buying any TES game just to give the mod community time to improve it. And WoW-clone MMOs don't excite me enough to hand-over my money on release day. I'll watch and wait and enjoy the 'debate', and if the released product isn't something I want to play then I'll ignore it, just as I did ToR.

'its not like WoW it has 3 factions!'

I joke, yes its true TES is not an exact copy of WoW but to capture our attention something more dramatic then 'yeah well we got 3 factions!' is going to have to exist. Otherwise I would just return to Darkfall which is far better than what TES has been described thus far.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by crack_fox

'its not like WoW it has 3 factions!'

I joke, yes its true TES is not an exact copy of WoW but to capture our attention something more dramatic then 'yeah well we got 3 factions!' is going to have to exist. Otherwise I would just return to Darkfall which is far better than what TES has been described thus far.

I play Alfar in DF and I can't tell you how many people I've called "outlander" and "N'Wah" while murdering (and being murdered by) them.  I just pretend I'm in Morrowind in Alfar Lands, all those big mushrooms do the trick.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

I don't have much hope in TESO, but one thing for sure is that SWTOR is not Star Wars and TESO is not The Elder Scrolls.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

didnt realize there was a difference between a TESO fan and a SWTOR fan.

also MO is better than DFO :P

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

As of now TESO will be SWTOR 2 unable to avoid the iceberg bcs its course was set many years ago and the steering wheel is locked by the shipowners.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Originally posted by Xobdnas

Just saw another TES interview where they state they are making the MMO appeal to everyone first, not TES fans first...Good call because the last time a MMO took their core fans for granted it worked out really well for them (SWTOR).

That is bad business, if you betray your core you have nothing left. You have to make your core feel appreciated first, then expand out from it. I feel like I'm watching the same bad dream all over again.

this is the kind of stuff that happens when some people have access to far too much money, they just f*ck up the entire neighboorhood