Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the sub fee + item shop keeping anyone away?

fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Just curious. I really want to play this, but since I've already purchased GW2 and it doesn't have a subscription fee, I find it incredibly hard to justify paying a subscription fee for any other game. I would consider one that was perhaps half the cost of the traditional $15, but with a item shop, it really rubs me the wrong way...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

TSW- Box sale, sub fee, CS. Possible paid expansions

GW2- Box sale, CS, paid expansion, buy GW1 to have acces to HOM rewards

Don't see a problem. Companies are trying to milk your money. Nothing new.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Then don't pay. Seems simple to me.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Of all the reasons to play a game or to not play a game...

A gd cash shop factors in NO where for me.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

While I don't agree with having a sub fee and using an item shop, mentioning GW2 makes me bring up they will be B2P AND charge for expansions which I'll expect to be released quite often compared to other games like TSW. TSW has items you can buy though GW2 not only ahs special items but basically lets you indirectly buy in game currency. Essencially the two are practically the same in trying to milk the users money away.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

It definitely has kept me from even reading up on the game combined with it being made by Funcom. I grabbed one of the beta keys now but I very much doubt that anything could really make me play and pay for this game.

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by fldash

Just curious. I really want to play this, but since I've already purchased GW2 and it doesn't have a subscription fee, I find it incredibly hard to justify paying a subscription fee for any other game. I would consider one that was perhaps half the cost of the traditional $15, but with a item shop, it really rubs me the wrong way...

The Secret World is targetting a small niche segment. They'll have a core fanbase that will enjoy the hell out of the game!

But since they playerbase will be noticeable smaller than other fantasy mmorpgs, it'll need to have a subfee to keep it running. Considering that this game is specifically aiming for a niche segment, and they doing everything to entertain them, these people will, as said, have a fun time, and not minding spending a few dollars.

Guild Wars 2 is going for every single fantasy (the majority) mmorpg-player out there - and will probably get a lot of them. They'll have a huge segment to eat. So instead of a few that pay more*, they'll have A LOT that pay less*.

*=compared to TSW.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Rightlov

The Secret World is targetting a small niche segment. They'll have a core fanbase that will enjoy the hell out of the game!

But since they playerbase will be noticeable smaller than other fantasy mmorpgs, it'll need to have a subfee to keep it running. Considering that this game is specifically aiming for a niche segment, and they doing everything to entertain them, these people will, as said, have a fun time, and not minding spending a few dollars.

Guild Wars 2 is going for every single fantasy (the majority) mmorpg-player out there - and will probably get a lot of them. They'll have a huge segment to eat. So instead of a few that pay more*, they'll have A LOT that pay less*.

*=compared to TSW.

Can't agree more. For me, this game is a niche segment all the way. It was smart of funcom, this game probably won't be a big wig but like Eve it might hold a good fanbase to keep it alive instead of dying out like many others do.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I was staying away because of my lack of confidence in FC.  But regardless of the quality of the release, the cash shop + sub will keep me away.  In fact, today, if a game wants me as a customer and they are charging me a sub fee for the privilege, it had better be something f*cking phenomenal, because the more I stay away from the model, the more I come to loath it. 

TSW *looks* decent, but not nearly enough to entice me to even try the beta, given that I have to go through the bullshit of a subscription again if I intend on playing the released version.  The cash shop is just the cherry on top, confirming my decision.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

if that were the case WoW wouldn't have ten million customers. they have had a sub only and shop for quite some time now.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I have decided to purchase the game and play for at least 30 days but the CS could be a reason not to stick around.  A big thing for me is how much clothing will be in game outside the cash shop?  At current there are like 4 jackets to pick from in 6 or so colors each that I have seen anywhere in game.  You can't craft clothing, it doesn't seem to drop from mobs, and the in game stores are very limited.  So unless it changes the only place to get more will be from the CS.  That's pretty lame to me.

So to answer you question, no I guess it didn't stop me from buying/playing but it was one of the reasons I only purchased the basic version instead of one of the deluxe versions.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Nope the lifeless wooden animationa are.

Could not care less about the cashshop.

This have been a good conversation

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

TSW- Box sale, sub fee, CS, paid expansions

GW2- Box sale, CS, paid expansion

Fixed that

ANet bleeds a lot less than the majority of companies out there and if you think for an instanct that Funcom, especially since their owned by EA, won't charged for an expansion then your delusional.

As for the OP, retail sale + sub + CS pretty much sealed why I won't play TSW along with EA's backing along with other criticisms I have of the game.  Nice game and will be a decent MMO though.  Throwing away 100+ bucks just to really try a game is not worth it to me after SWTOR considering there are numerous other alternatives out there for a mere fraction of the price like GW2, NWO, Mechwarrior Online and others.  Companies need to drop the whole retail sale + sub model.  Now if that perfect MMO came along then it would be a different story but that only happens in lala land.

• CarilliCarilli Member UncommonPosts: 41
    paid for GM pack, not bothered by cash shop.
  • riptipriptip Member Posts: 10

Creating a game is an expensive thing. It is not milking players for money per say it is paying bills. The genre itself grew to the point where competition is so strong and companies find it hard to pay their developing teams. Truely free-to-play is on its way. Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 models are the future, plus I am curious to see what Crytek will do with the statement that they are going completely free-to-play. The only thing I don't get is why all these companies destroy the games they worked so hard to create from the very begining - stating their payment models, making promises for non-overpowering items in CS and not keeping them. That's the point where a casual gamer like me starts questioning himself - is this a f2p game or will I be frustrated all the time by people with items with stats bought from the CS when I can't even get these items in game. Just thoughts and my opinion on the whole f2p matter :D

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by itgrowls

if that were the case WoW wouldn't have ten million customers. they have had a sub only and shop for quite some time now.

Except their cash shop was entirely fluff like in pets or mounts which there are perfect and better alternatives.  If you hade to buy new armor or weapon models through a CS then I highly doubt they would have all their millions of customers.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

I'm not sure if I'd play TSW if it was f2p......Just wasnt my cup of tea.

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Fixed that

ANet bleeds a lot less than the majority of companies out there and if you think for an instanct that Funcom, especially since their owned by EA, won't charged for an expansion then your delusional.

As for the OP, retail sale + sub + CS pretty much sealed why I won't play TSW along with EA's backing along with other criticisms I have of the game.  Nice game and will be a decent MMO though.  Throwing away 100+ bucks just to really try a game is not worth it to me after SWTOR considering there are numerous other alternatives out there for a mere fraction of the price like GW2, NWO, Mechwarrior Online and others.  Companies need to drop the whole retail sale + sub model.  Now if that perfect MMO came along then it would be a different story but that only happens in lala land.

Funcom is NOT owned by EA, nor does EA have anything to do with the devlopment of The Secret World! As stated over and over and over, Funcom has a publishing contract with EA Partners. EA Partners is a subdivision of EA, specialized on publishing games from other companies that do not have the infrastructure to do that themselfs. This means EA Partners is producing the boxes and shipping them around the world, like they did with Crytek's Crysis, for example, and several other games.

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Is this regarding my post?

Anyway, it'll give an answer; it's all about business. What's best for the company/game.

When WoW got released, the mmorpg was a 1/10 of what it is now. Back then, it'd be unrealistic to get the number of players it was required to keep a F2P game running of the size of WoW. Hence they went with a sub. Since then, more and more people have kept joining the game (with exception of lately), and then why change a working concept? They achieve to get both the numbers and still keep the sub fee.

As for now, the mmorpg market is a completely new world compared to back when WoW got released. There's many times more players out there, and many times more competition. And in this case, GW2 went for the big fantasy segment, with no sub fee but a CS (primarily income), and TSW went for a small niche segment with sub fee (as their primarily income), and CS with only cosmetic items (secondary/small income).

If you don't like the item mall then don't use it. Its not mandatory. I really don't see the issue here.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by TheSedated

Fixed that

Funcom is NOT owned by EA, nor does EA have anything to do with the devlopment of The Secret World! As stated over and over and over, Funcom has a publishing contract with EA Partners. EA Partners is a subdivision of EA, specialized on publishing games from other companies that do not have the infrastructure to do that themselfs. This means EA Partners is producing the boxes and shipping them around the world, like they did with Cryteks Crysis, for example, and several other games.

Meh, who cares.

It's still extremely likely that they'll have paid expansions.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Fixed that

1- Funcom isn't owned by EA.

2- I said possible paid expansions. I wouldn't be suprised if they did, but hopefully, they'll go for free patch updates, and an exp pack in a year, like Rift's doing.

3- "I already paid for the box and sub. If i have to pay any extra amount of money, it's a rip off. Even if it's for just cosmetic items"

Let me use this logic again

"I already paid for the box, exp pack and has a CS. If i have to pay any extra amount of money of another game just to have access to other items, it's a rip off. Even if it's just cosmetic"

EDIT: Look, 2 greedy companies that are trying to milk me. Like i said, nothing new. Stop trying to believe devs care more about you than your money.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

If you don't like the item mall then don't use it. Its not mandatory. I really don't see the issue here.

Yea don't use it and look like a clone next to everyone else in game clothing wise.  There are like 4 jackets in game right now each in 6 or so colors and that's it.  I have never seen or heard of a single clothing item you can craft or one that drops off mobs.  As far as I can tell everything that affects your appearance is in the cash shop.

Maybe that will change by launch and maybe it won't.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Fixed that

2- I said possible paid expansions. I wouldn't be suprised if they did, but hopefully, they'll go for free patch updates, and an exp pack in a year, like Rift's doing.

3- "I already paid for the box and sub. If i have to pay any extra amount of money, it's a rip off. Even if it's for just cosmetic items"

"I already paid for the box, exp pack and has a CS. If i have to pay any extra amount of money of another game just to have access to other items, it's a rip off. Even if it's just cosmetic"

EDIT: Look, 2 greedy companies that are trying to milk me. Like i said, nothing new. Stop trying to believe devs care more about you than your money.

Assuming an expansion comes out in one year for both games.

GW2 - $60 until expansion 1 year from now. You don't have to spend any money in the cash shop.

TSW - $240 until expansion 1 year from now. You do not have to pay for anything in the cash shop.

Do you see the difference?

Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

Yea don't use it and look like a clone next to everyone else in game clothing wise.  There are like 4 jackets in game right now each in 6 or so colors and that's it.  I have never seen or heard of a single clothing item you can craft or one that drops off mobs.  As far as I can tell everything that affects your appearance is in the cash shop.

Maybe that will change by launch and maybe it won't.

They didn't add them to the beta as it would be just be bloat at this point and time. Atm they have the basics so people can beta test, find the bugs and such so they can fix them.

Its obvious that that wasn't why you played.

I have played and never once saw someone that looked like me and that was with the limited options.

Originally posted by colddog04

Fixed that

Assuming an expansion comes out in one year for both games.

GW2 - $60 until expansion 1 year from now. You don't have to spend any money in the cash shop.

TSW - $240 until expansion 1 year from now. You do not have to pay for anything in the cash shop.

Do you see the difference?

Than play GW2 and move on. I really don't see what your issue is.