Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPS TESO interview

KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

it wasnt as painful as the first few releases but it does leave one thinking they are clearly full of sh*t

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Those were some pretty good questions actually. They didn't pull any punches. Thanks for the link.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Those were some pretty good questions actually. They didn't pull any punches. Thanks for the link.

true. the questions were excelent. The answers...well...hmm

I am glad the questions where not

'so tell us why your game is soooooo awesome! and I agree by the way its awesome!'

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

true. the questions were excelent. The answers...well...hmm

I am glad the questions where not

'so tell us why your game is soooooo awesome! and I agree by the way its awesome!'

Thy were good questions, the more I read about the game the more it reminds me of TOR. A single player rpg with an MMO skin.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't know if that was a good interview, or a bad one. I'm thinking a bad one because there was a lot of non-information in there. There are entire paragraphs with no information at all. There's a couple where I'm not even sure what the guy is saying, but I'm positive I've understood the questions. I just imagine the interviewee talking really, really fast.

I don't play any of the Elder Scrolls games, so none of that stuff would concern me. What would concern me is TESO having an interesting or decent leveling game, but having an end game that was just like WoW/Rift/SWToR. Dungeons and Raiding. Large scale, three faction PvP is good, but is that what they're focusing on? I dunno.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Who found the lie?

"Paul Sage: It’s not really usage based so much as it is what I slot in. But you will grow. You’ll grow in power and discover new ways to use the axe. So, absolutely, that’s something we felt really strongly about. If I find a certain weapon, I should be able to pick it up and use it."

Hold the presses folks!  In a previous invterview with GI, they said that it was usage base.  In fact they said that the more you use a weapon the better you'll get and the more skills will unlock. 

Why do I have a feeling that what we'll find out is that as you advance your character level, you'll unlock weapon skills for basically every weapon.  So I can play 20 levels with that axe, then pick up a dagger and have 20 levels worth of skills for that dagger ready to slot. 

Edit:  Read below if you'd like a preview of questing in EQ2.

"RPS: The E3 presentation was basically a chain of clearly defined glowing quest-givers. Will there be more impromptu exploration, though? Environments that tell their own stories, etc? Will there be books?

Paul Sage: There’s absolutely a place where you’ll find books. Will that start off a quest? Absolutely, that could start off a quest. You can also find lots of places where there are no quests at all. One of the things I don’t think we’ve talked about a lot is the fact that we have content that just kind of emerges from the world. So you’ll see bandits out lugging someone – so to speak – and you can decide to run up and kill the bandits if you want to. It’s really your call if that’s what you want to do. Or maybe you do something else in that situation. It’s those things that are also sprinkled throughout the world."

Exact same thing that happens in EQ2.

And people think this isn't just another typical MMO?

Good lord!  Who wants to play Rift?

"There are also what we’re calling Daedric Anchors in the world. Daedra filter out of them [and attack]. It’s a little bit reminiscent of Oblivion Gates. That, again, is something where you’ll be in the world, and suddenly, there’s just something over there. And then the player has something they can do to remove that Anchor from the world. I don’t want to call it an event so much. It’s just a happening in the world"

That's a rift event!  Definetly looking less and less like an MMO I haven't already played guys!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Uhwop

"There are also what we’re calling Daedric Anchors in the world. Daedra filter out of them [and attack]. It’s a little bit reminiscent of Oblivion Gates. That, again, is something where you’ll be in the world, and suddenly, there’s just something over there. And then the player has something they can do to remove that Anchor from the world. I don’t want to call it an event so much. It’s just a happening in the world"

That's a rift event!  Definetly looking less and less like an MMO I haven't already played guys!

LMAO! When I was reading the interview and came upon that answer my first thought was "Oh, you mean a RIFT?"

The way Paul Sage answers questions is entertaining to say the least.

"Absolutely! Things happen in the world. You can go here or there and do things. Other players are going here and there too. Its fun. You can join them, or do your own thing. You can pick up stuff and use it. Like an Axe or a Book! "

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

LMAO! When I was reading the interview and came upon that answer my first thought was "Oh, you mean a RIFT?"

"Absolutely! Things happen in the world. You can go here or there and do things. Other players are going here and there too. Its fun. You can join them, or do your own thing. You can pick up stuff and use it. Like an Axe or a Book! "

OMG!  Why has no one ever thought to do this before!

PS: I'm eagerly awaiting the first person to come in and tell us we don't know enough about the game to formulate an opinin, or that nothing he said sounds like the same thing every other themepark does.

PS: I'm eagerly awaiting the first person to come in and tell us we don't know enough about the game to formulate an opinin, or that nothing he said sounds like the same thing every other themepark does.

no its different because they have 3 forced factions (um I mean just factions not forced) instead of 2...lol

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

no its different because they have 3 forced factions (um I mean just factions not forced) instead of 2...lol

Next innovation in line: FOUR (4) FACTIONS!

I've noticed that there was very little responce to this thread.  It seems like a pretty big coinsidence that it's an article that actually asks worthwhile questions, get some very telling answers, and no one seems to have anything to say.

After all the comments I've been seeing from people that the game isn't going to be a "clone", we have an interview that has some rather informative information in it, and no one's got anything at all to say about it.

I've noticed that there was very little responce to this thread.  It seems like a pretty big coinsidence that it's an article that actually asks worthwhile questions, get some very telling answers, and no one seems to have anything to say.

After all the comments I've been seeing from people that the game isn't going to be a "clone", we have an interview that has some rather informative information in it, and no one's got anything at all to say about it.

no I think many of us think the answers to the questions are for sh8t.

The questions are great, the answers are funny.

speaking for myself I dont care if its a clone or not, I just know I dont want to play a game that is forced faction, not FPS combat, class based and not FPS view. That alone is pretty much enough for me regardless of if its a clone or not.

speaking for myself I dont care if its a clone or not, I just know I dont want to play a game that is forced faction, not FPS combat, class based and not FPS view. That alone is pretty much enough for me regardless of if its a clone or not.

I just find it interesting that every other thread has people chiming in about how different the game will be, and that we don't know enough to have a negative opinion about it.

Now here we have a real interview, asking real question, and answers that clearly indicate that the game is just another typical mmo and not a single person who posts in every other thread has had a thing to say? 

Bunch of people have been saying the game isn't another clone, and here we have pretty solid evidence that it is. 

I just find it interesting that every other thread has people chiming in about how different the game will be, and that we don't know enough to have a negative opinion about it.

Now here we have a real interview, asking real question, and answers that clearly indicate that the game is just another typical mmo and not a single person who posts in every other thread has had a thing to say? 

Bunch of people have been saying the game isn't another clone, and here we have pretty solid evidence that it is. 

I really dont know what Paul Sages answers were indicative of at all.

Im still trying to grasp if he was being vague and evasive, a bit condescending and patronsing or more along the lines of "I LIKE TURTLES!!"  with his answers

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Glad to see they arent changing the game they are making until people actually play instead of catering to the people who act like someone murdered their puppy. Can't wait to try out the beta to actually see what the game has to give, next year sometime. I thought it was funny when the guy was trying to see if the nay sayers had an impact on what they released so far and he basically said, No stfu and wait until you try it before you scream into your pillows because no one is listening to you yet.

It sounds pretty good so far but we will see when we can actually play it, they still arent saying much besides what he has said in all the other interviews. GW2 wvw leaves much to be desired for me and is nothing like what some are trying to compare it too in DAoC. Yes there is POI and Seige warfare but its still not the same to me 3 faction we had. It is basically fighting clones of yourselves with the same skills and races.

Still waiting to hear more, I hope they do something great with crafting.

Originally posted by Fearum

Glad to see they arent changing the game they are making until people actually play instead of catering to the people who act like someone murdered their puppy. Can't wait to try out the beta to actually see what the game has to give, next year sometime. I thought it was funny when the guy was trying to see if the nay sayers had an impact on what they released so far and he basically said, No stfu and wait until you try it before you scream into your pillows because no one is listening to you yet.

It sounds pretty good so far but we will see when we can actually play it, they still arent saying much besides what he has said in all the other interviews. GW2 wvw leaves much to be desired for me and is nothing like what some are trying to compare it too in DAoC. Yes there is POI and Seige warfare but its still not the same to me 3 faction we had. It is basically fighting clones of yourselves with the same skills and races.

Still waiting to hear more, I hope they do something great with crafting.

I dont agree. so far it sounds like cr*p and I havent yet seen a single feature that is intresting enough to justify me even trying it out. There are better MMOs out there

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I find it strange how games with one hotbar with 1-10 abilities on there but you have 50+ skills to slot into few spots say 'we want to provide customization' this is total bullshit,if anything it restricts what you can do.So many games like this.If you know 50 abilities you should be able to use them.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc meets tes. CAN'T WAIT, has potential to be really good.

Also glad they aren't going with boring old wow clone crafting like some other mmos of late.
  • dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Absolutely! Things happen in the world. You can go here or there and do things. Other players are going here and there too. Its fun. You can join them, or do your own thing. You can mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel. Like an Axe or a Book!

^This is the truth. Absolutely!

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

That paul sage guy should be a politician, someone like him hs no place in the gaming industry. Just like a politician he doesn't care what the people want or in this case the fans.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

RPS: So Elder Scrolls is finally going multiplayer. Is Fallout next?
     Paul Sage: If you’re just asking me personally, I would love to do that. I don’t even want to begin to talk about how many hours I spent in Fallout 3, and it was great. But as a studio, we’re just concentrating on this game right now.

Damn, they should have been more passionate about doin Fallout. Not an entirely bad interview though.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You guys do realise Paul sage is a programmer / designer from ultima online. He's not a marketing guy and either is Matt frior.

I agree marketing types designing games is a bad idea, problem like gabe amangetello and Paul barnet at mythic / bioware / ea.

But these guys are real devs.
    Originally posted by Istavaan

That paul sage guy should be a politician, someone like him hs no place in the gaming industry. Just like a politician he doesn't care what the people want or in this case the fans.

I think this stems from the fact that "back in the day" of early MMOs (and games in general), Developers were Gamers first and viewed everything from a gaming fans perspective, and Developers second. A Businessmans perspective came last.

Now, they are Businessmen and/or Developers first, and view things from that perspective, and Gamers last or not at all.

Developers always say 'We play our game all the time. Everyone in the office does and we talk about it.", but from what view-point?  You are constantly hearing Players (people that have a Gamers perspective) post threads like "Do you ever play your game?"

Take SWTOR for example. Bioware says they all play SWTOR. Really? And from a Gamers perspective you think its good? REALLY? All of you? Because the majority of the actual Gaming community seems to disagree.

Originally posted by Istavaan

I think this stems from the fact that "back in the day" of early MMOs (and games in general), Developers were Gamers first and viewed everything from a gaming fans perspective, and Developers second. A Businessmans perspective came last.

Now, they are Businessmen and/or Developers first, and view things from that perspective, and Gamers last or not at all.

Developers always say 'We play our game all the time. Everyone in the office does and we talk about it.", but from what view-point?  You are constantly hearing Players (people that have a Gamers perspective) post threads like "Do you ever play your game?"

Take SWTOR for example. Bioware says they all play SWTOR. Really? And from a Gamers perspective you think its good? REALLY? All of you? Because the majority of the actual Gaming community seems to disagree.

spin doctor calling the game testing departement 'playing it all the time'. Testing departments are designed to test against specs. not offer suggestions.

oh and 'we' meaning any one person at the company. I have seen that happen before. One guy does something all day everyday and the company says 'we' do that all the time

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

He most likely can't reveal anything that he isn't answering because its not done yet, brain children.

They are still developing the game that is going to be released more than a year from now, they will release more info as it gets more refined but before they do that if they just talked bs then they would be lying.