Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMOFTW - The Best of E3 2012 Awards

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This year's E3 was filled the brim with new and upcoming MMOs. In this week's MMOFTW we award the five best and brightest from the recent trade show. Take a look at the video for our Best of E3 2012 Awards beyond the break!

Every year, it seems like E3 goes through a complete overhaul. This year, instead of being about games, the main focus seemed to be booth-babes and bloody executions. Luckily, there was actually one area where games seemed to matter and diversity and attempts in innovations were actually present: MMOs. This year’s show was actually a fairly strong one for the MMO, despite folks like NCsoft and Blizzard not being in attendance. When all was said and done, we sat down to figure out just which titles stood out the most to us, and which ones deserved special distinction in our five award categories. Watch the special edition of MMOFTW to see which game took home our Game of Show at E3 2012.

Watch the full MMOFTW - E3 2012 Awards Show.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    No Neverwinter? too bad..
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Did you watch the show? Neverwinter won an award, mate. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Wow, you guys really didn't like Defiance if your complete overlooking of the game is any indication. What are you not telling us, and should we be worried?

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

BOOM Planetside 2 comes from left field for GAME OF SHOW!

(Bill! I am confused though, Your nominee's list doesnt state half the games, that actually won said category.)

Originally posted by Senadina

Wow, you guys really didn't like Defiance if your complete overlooking of the game is any indication. What are you not telling us, and should we be worried?

Watch the Video Defiance Won an award.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by Saryhl
    Originally posted by Senadina

Watch the Video Defiance Won an award.

But then I have to listen to Bill talk....really just kidding Bill. Because I feel stupid.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Really, NWN and Elder Scrolls? Two of the worst looking titles on the horizon, and one of them's made by Cryptic. You'd think the lesson would have already been learned after the likes of STO and DCUO.

Enjoyed the video, though. Keep it up.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Lawlmonster Really, NWN and Elder Scrolls? Two of the worst looking titles on the horizon, and one of them's made by Cryptic. You'd think the lesson would have already been learned after the likes of STO and DCUO.
    With all the respect, we never got a real "Cryptic" mmo. 

Both of their previous titles came out under Atari. And Atari is the main thing at fault for rushing Age of Conan too. 

this is the first title that Cryptic is not releasing under Atari. 

Its interesting on how differently gaming journalists and "average joes' view Neverwinter. Press seems to love it and I do love it too, but majority seem to be intent on outright despising it. Funny.
    AS for ESO. While its standard WOW clickfest, the brand-recognition alone DOES make it the most anticipated title. Out of all the games in the list, Elder Scrolls is the biggest  brand name, dwarfing everyone else by a mile    

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by Lawlmonster Really, NWN and Elder Scrolls? Two of the worst looking titles on the horizon, and one of them's made by Cryptic. You'd think the lesson would have already been learned after the likes of STO and DCUO.

Both of their previous titles came out under Atari. And Atari is the main thing at fault for rushing Age of Conan too. 

Its interesting on how differently gaming journalists and "average joes' view Neverwinter. Press seems to love it and I do love it too, but majority seem to be intent on outright despising it. Funny.
    AS for ESO. While its standard WOW clickfest, the brand-recognition alone DOES make it the most anticipated title. Out of all the games in the list, Elder Scrolls is the biggest  brand name, dwarfing everyone else by a mile    

Personally, I'm not willing to place all of the blame on Atari. Sure, they were involved, but Cryptic was still developing these titles, and they were absolutely terrible.

As for ESO, I'm having trouble understanding how someone can relate the brand to the product that's being shown. The only variables they share are in name alone, so if people are getting excited by what the newest themepark garbage is referred to, color me depressed. Still, I understand your point and I think it's valid.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

CoH/CoV ring a bell? STO is the same game with a different skin. NWN looks to be in the same style.

Yes its a new Publisher, but its still Cryptic and they are still following that "MMO in a Box" 2 years Dev cycle idea

Oh and Cryptic didnt make DCUO. They made Champions Online. Still a horrible game

Popular IP name to sell a game    image

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Personally, I'm not willing to place all of the blame on Atari. Sure, they were involved, but Cryptic was still developing these titles, and they were absolutely terrible.

As for ESO, I'm having trouble understanding how someone can relate the brand to the product that's being shown. The only variables they share are in name alone, so if people are getting excited by what the newest themepark garbage is referred to, color me depressed. Still, I understand your point and I think it's valid.

I understand your concern. I shared it. But I really do think it looks like an excellent MMO so far, and everyone there for MMORPG did as well. And we were all skeptics. 

My Review Manifesto

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Really, NWN and Elder Scrolls? Two of the worst looking titles on the horizon, and one of them's made by Cryptic. You'd think the lesson would have already been learned after the likes of STO and DCUO.

So, what would be your picks then? ;)

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Happily surprised Planetside 2 won the show,  it has won on other sites too. So badly want in!

Murphy my chap I like your jokes next time tell more of them please, no thats not sarcastic.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

I understand your concern. I shared it. But I really do think it looks like an excellent MMO so far, and everyone there for MMORPG did as well. And we were all skeptics. 

Good to hear. Wish I could have been on the floor to see it myself, but I'm glad to know you guys went in skeptical.

Originally posted by MikeB

So, what would be your picks then? ;)

I would rather leave spots empty than fill them with titles that I thought were an afront to the genre, but that's just a personal perspective, and obviously one that isn't shared.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

GG Planetside 2, really looking forward to it! 

Planetside 2 Do want!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by PyrateLV

With all the respect, we never got a real "Cryptic" mmo.    Both of their previous titles came out under Atari. And Atari is the main thing at fault for rushing Age of Conan too.    this is the first title that Cryptic is not releasing under Atari.  Its interesting on how differently gaming journalists and "average joes' view Neverwinter. Press seems to love it and I do love it too, but majority seem to be intent on outright despising it. Funny. AS for ESO. While its standard WOW clickfest, the brand-recognition alone DOES make it the most anticipated title. Out of all the games in the list, Elder Scrolls is the biggest  brand name, dwarfing everyone else by a mile    
    CoH/CoV ring a bell? STO is the same game with a different skin. NWN looks to be in the same style.

Yes its a new Publisher, but its still Cryptic and they are still following that "MMO in a Box" 2 years Dev cycle idea

Oh and Cryptic didnt make DCUO. They made Champions Online. Still a horrible game

Popular IP name to sell a game    

And COH/COV is still one of THE BEST mmo titles in existence. your point being?

Also now Neverwinter has been in development for far longer than two years. Atari had a philosophy of "quick buck over quality" with EVERYTHING they did, hence why they ran themselves into the ground. Neverwinter the moment it left ATari's grasp instantly got one year more of development time. That alone proves a LOT on how much atari influenced and controlled cryptic

And yes. Popular IP tends to sell games. Thats why you get complete kitsch like star wars dance off and it still sells. Because of brand recognition. The quality level of ESO does not matter. The ammount of recognition it gets from the brand itself does.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Popular IP name to sell a game    image

And yet time after time again with every single title of Atari they've rushed products through the door.  NWN2, AoC apparetnly by some, Daggerfall (which was so bad that Microsft ordered a recall and pulled a "fix this shit" card of em).  Atari always wanted to make a quick buckl and always were in some shady dealings like how they tied/did sabotage DDO in Europe.

With Neverwinter and PWE Cryptic is given the space they need to fully develope this game.  amoung other indications that fact that they are not including PvP at launch but in 2013 when it is finished right shows that they are in for the lon haul and are trying to provide a quality MMO.

Also Neverwinter has been in the workls a lot longer than 2 years.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Does that mean that MMORPG actually got to play Elder Scrolls while there? All of the other gaming sites I've seen only saw the fly through videos meant for press consumption.

If you didn't, well.. I'm not sure how it can be all that "impressive" since it sounds like GW2 in an Elder Scrolls IP to me.  Plus in the interview G4 did they seemed really dodgy about every question Morgan asked them... somehow I don't get a lot of trust from anyone on their team when I see them speak.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

It seens like a very shy E3 for me... At least on MMO ground. Maybe that´s why they picked these games. It should not have much to pick from... I still look for WoD as my holy grail of MMO...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I haven't watched the video yet (I normally won't) however with all due respect, you guys tend to be a bit too positive (D3 at 8.5, really? and let's not get started on SWG) so you aren't the best skeptics out there.

Maybe your right, I don't know much about either title right now, so we'll have to see how good a prophets you guys turn out to be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Probably shouldn't hand out awards to games you didn't actually play. Just sayin'... Unless the award is for "Best Game We Didn't Actually Play". But that would be stupid, right?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

You are mastering these segments Bill...great job!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Probably shouldn't hand out awards to games you didn't actually play. Just sayin'... Unless the award is for "Best Game We Didn't Actually Play". But that would be stupid, right?

These "awards" are more for "Who Hyped their Game the Best"

Think of E3 as an Old Time Circus. All the different Sideshows, each with a Barker and some wild advertising banners, all trying to get you to come in and see the "bearded tattooed dwarf cyclops mermaid".

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)