Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same type of hype as for SW:TOR

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

When I read articles, previews and what not about GW 2, for some reason it reminds me alot of the time just before SW:TOR was released. The same type of excagurated expectations.

So I am wondering if it will play out the same. Huge sales for the first month, just to start to declines only a couple of months after and people complaining that "it is just like WoW". Well maybe not the latter but still, I cant stop to feel that this is yet another over-hyped, simplistic ThemePark with alot of bling but very little depth.

But then again, MMORPGs seems to have evolved, and I use that therm loosely, into these kind of games that you play for, at most, a couple of months and then move on to the next one, just like single player games.

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

At least GW2 is already offering what they promised, SW:TOR didn't. Also even watching a single vid (or playing less than 10 minutes) you will realize that the game is different to the "normal" MMO.

The payment model is excellent for allowing people to stop playing for a while and try other games then come back for an expansion. It won't die as quickly as a single player game, there is much depth in the game and so many things to do that will keep most people occupied for a long time. If they manage to release a healthy amount of expansions (free or not free) they can keep people interested for a very long time.

It's natural, even by reading these forums, that lots of people won't stay and continue playing the game because they THINK it is something that it isn't and never claimed to be. It's not the messiah of gaming that will be perfect for all. But it should've been quite obvious if it suit people's needs..... We've seen many ridiculous comparissons and suggestions on the forums about "how to make the game better", while ruining what makes the game better in first place

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

i have to agree, they didnt make a heap of promises they never delivered on and they dont expect you to pay a sub for a beta quality product

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am not a fan of GW2 and wont be picking it up but one thing i can say its a shed load better than SW:TOR.

GW2 at the end of the day is a well polished fantasty themepark MMO with its own little tiwst on some of the mechanics..

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Clearly you haven't been following either game to make such inacurrate claims lol. Everything ArenaNet said will be in the game IS already in the game. You can't have two vastly different hype types as TOR and GW2. But maybe you like to compare The Phantom Menace to The Dark Knight, I don't know.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I spent the whole BWE playing the game with my friend and we had a blast and both of us can't wait until the game launches. Is GW2 the next comming of Christ? Not really. And if you're expecting it to be that, you will be very disappointed. GW2 is a very good game, that's all there is.

Some people will like it, some people will hate it. I like it and that's all that matters to me. The major difference between this game and SWTOR is that ANet is completely transparent about GW2. I mean we don't even know when launch is and the NDA is already removed.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Yamota

When I read articles, previews and what not about GW 2, for some reason it reminds me alot of the time just before SW:TOR was released. The same type of excagurated expectations.

So I am wondering if it will play out the same. Huge sales for the first month, just to start to declines only a couple of months after and people complaining that "it is just like WoW". Well maybe not the latter but still, I cant stop to feel that this is yet another over-hyped, simplistic ThemePark with alot of bling but very little depth.

But then again, MMORPGs seems to have evolved, and I use that therm loosely, into these kind of games that you play for, at most, a couple of months and then move on to the next one, just like single player games.

Except it's not the same.

This game has delivered on what was promised, and they are still tweaking it. SWTOR did not.

There are people who are creating their own expectations of the game based on heresay, or imagination, rather than reality. However, that is not something that is unique to this game, or SWTOR. The only game that will not be 'overhyped' in this regard, is the game that noone knows about. It's more or less impossible to release a game of this scope like that, though, so there will always be people who see the popularty and start coming to their own distorted conclusions. I don't see that as a game being 'overhyped' though, I see that as people being idiots.

Anet made claims & promises for GW2. GW2 delivers on those claims & promises. If you got it in your head that this MMO was going to cure your herpies, or function as a literal gateway to heaven, I don't see that as the game's fault. I see that as a personal problem.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

You state ridiculous bold statements without giving any real facts. You are actually funny.

I played 90+ hours in the betas and every single minute of that playtime was extremely fun, comparing anet to a customer milking company is rude! Anet delivered everything they said they are bringing. The game is deeper than any other MMO out here scaled in PVE content, PVP content and class design and it is still in beta and anets loves huge expansions and they will have live team tweaking the zone events constantly for players' joy.

I bet you do not even know about the features of the game has to offer. SWTOR was bound to fail even from the first gameplay videos years before its release. GW2 heads the opposite way.

I am not sure if this trolling job pays you good enough, but i hope it will help you buy your sub fee of the mmo you play.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

This couldn't be further from the truth, I followed SWTOR since 08 and what happened in that community was very strange indeed and entirely different to GuildWars 2. 

in a nutshell the early community got given information from bioware about a unique multi path mmo based around your own personal adventure with a unique engaging combat system. 09 when we started to see dissapointing combat footage. by 2010 the popularity jumped up a notch and so we had an influx  to the forums of people wanting information and contributing opinion. From the start to end of 2010 Bioware back pedalled on the original manifesto for their title and essentially reverted to a very standard mmo with a star wars setting. most of us that followed the game were very disheartened and split into two camps those that would not want to play the game and those that would play it but realised it wasn't the game we had first started out waiting for. The newer members to the community who hadn't experienced the dramatic change in stance of bioware started making a lot of excuses and thus generating hype simply off of biowares reputation for single player titles. The excuses continued on the forums the majority of people by this stage had resigned that the game was a standard mmo with a star wars setting and we were happy with that and most gamers aware it was a stop gap mmo.

Arena net in contrast designed a game, gave away very little information and didn't involve the community to start with. They released a manifesto that was encouraging but similar to biowares initial one. Then they delivered a game that matched it. In short the guild wars 2 hype isn't really hype anymore its just everyone being very satisfied with whats on offer and especially for the value for money. most of the negatives in forums are from misinformed individuals basing the gw2 off of gw1.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

but still, I cant stop to feel that this is yet another over-hyped, simplistic ThemePark with alot of bling but very little depth.

Anyone knowing GW1 (by playing it)  will know what to expect in terms of replayability.

The buisness model is where the experience differs. Simply put GW1 was a game players left, but kept comming back too.

Because players never had to judge the subscribtion value, people can take a brake before real burnout, and are therefore also much more likely to come back, especially when new content is introduced.

Atm most players are really clueless about what makes GW2 unique. The dept in GW2 is in the world. Something players learn to appriciate over time.

As an exsample. I personaly started most of the DE i was involved in last night, by talking with NPC, following the clues from their chit-chat, meanwhile most players i encounter came in halv throug an DE, pick up their reward and disappeared cluless of what the story was. Then i figured out how the next step in the DE continued, but players was gone and again i had to do the first half of the DE alone.

Running around and participate in half DE's getting all the immersion from reading the orange text, i can understand give an experienced of little depth in the game. But for me it was really satisfying, but then it didn't play the zerg.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Complain and qq all you want but people who sit around a qq about game being hyped too much or a game is failing are a vocal minority these games will have their players and will be successful without you either like the game or hate the game if you dont like it move along and leave the people who will enjoy it alone im about sick and tired of this generations gamers they are spiteful as hell and problably need to finmd a new hobbie like normal console games.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by jondifool

but still, I cant stop to feel that this is yet another over-hyped, simplistic ThemePark with alot of bling but very little depth.

Anyone knowing GW1 (by playing it)  will know what to expect in terms of replayability.

The buisness model is where the experience differs. Simply put GW1 was a game players left, but kept comming back too.

Because players never had to judge the subscribtion value, people can take a brake before real burnout, and are therefore also much more likely to come back, especially when new content is introduced.

Atm most players are really clueless about what makes GW2 unique. The dept in GW2 is in the world. Something players learn to appriciate over time.

As an exsample. I personaly started most of the DE i was involved in last night, by talking with NPC, following the clues from their chit-chat, meanwhile most players i encounter came in halv throug an DE, pick up their reward and disappeared cluless of what the story was. Then i figured out how the next step in the DE continued, but players was gone and again i had to do the first half of the DE alone.

Running around and participate in half DE's getting all the immersion from reading the orange text, i can understand give an experienced of little depth in the game. But for me it was really satisfying, but then it didn't play the zerg.

yeah the DE are great most players dont understand them because they dont bother chatting up the npcs because they dont have shiney yellow question marks above their heads lol they dont relize talking to some of these random npcs actually trigger events and also tell you where to go. the game world is maaaasive as hell lots of nice detail and most gw1 players are gonna feel right at home here while also bringing in new players to the gw universe so yeah this game will not fail this i know 100% for sure. hell gw1 still sporting a few million players.Gw2 gonna have alot of them.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've gotten 81 hours of play from GW2 so far, since the start of the Beta Weekend Events. I'm pretty sure that exceeds the amount of time I got from SWTOR once it launched before giving up on that game. I enjoyed almost every minute of those 81 hours, never touched WvW, only played 3 SPVP matches and still haven't experienced more than half of the PvE content we had access to, which is only about 25% of the entire game world. I loved the game even more at the 81 hour mark than I did at the start and I can't wait to experience more.

Too many MMOs since wow have failed to keep me playing for more than 40 hours, so GW2 is already lengths ahead of the genre norm at this point.

The game is not perfect. There are little things here and there that could be better, but on the whole the game reinvigorates a stale genre and actually lives up to the hype, which no game since WoW has managed to do.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

To answer the portion I underlined, I think that is just the nature of MMO releases anymore so yes I think it will sell very well the first couple of months, and things will die down afterwards. This is no fault of Anet's though, in my opinion- MMO gamers these days just have unrealistic expectations of games regardless of what information is put out by the devs. How much of a decline GW2 will see will depend entirely upon how Anet6 approaches updates/patches/fixes to the game. I haven't thought of possible PvE issues (aside from those that want a statistical advantage from gear grinding being let down) but a couple of inevitable PvP issues:

There will absolutely be issues with WvWvW and matchmaking for the first few weeks after launch, likely for up to two months as populations settle and appropriate matches are made and of course there will be class rebalancing/buffing/nerfing as happens in every MMO that contains PvP which will piss off FOTM types.

Also, no matter how fair a system is in ranked PvP or the WvWvW there will always be players that will search and find exploits in order to achieve more faster than others, and I honestly don't know if Anet would bother holding players responsible or if they'll follow suit with others such as Trion and Bioware and claim to bring action against players who knowingly exploit and then do nothing whatsoever. I think especially in a game that's reputed to have PvP based entirely on player skill or e-sport gameplay that it's imperative for Anet to hold players responsible lest the game just be seen as another joke for PvP.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by pierth

To answer the portion I underlined, I think that is just the nature of MMO releases anymore so yes I think it will sell very well the first couple of months, and things will die down afterwards. This is no fault of Anet's though, in my opinion- MMO gamers these days just have unrealistic expectations of games regardless of what information is put out by the devs. How much of a decline GW2 will see will depend entirely upon how Anet6 approaches updates/patches/fixes to the game. I haven't thought of possible PvE issues (aside from those that want a statistical advantage from gear grinding being let down) but a couple of inevitable PvP issues:

There will absolutely be issues with WvWvW and matchmaking for the first few weeks after launch, likely for up to two months as populations settle and appropriate matches are made and of course there will be class rebalancing/buffing/nerfing as happens in every MMO that contains PvP which will piss off FOTM types.

Also, no matter how fair a system is in ranked PvP or the WvWvW there will always be players that will search and find exploits in order to achieve more faster than others, and I honestly don't know if Anet would bother holding players responsible or if they'll follow suit with others such as Trion and Bioware and claim to bring action against players who knowingly exploit and then do nothing whatsoever. I think especially in a game that's reputed to have PvP based entirely on player skill or e-sport gameplay that it's imperative for Anet to hold players responsible lest the game just be seen as another joke for PvP.

I would just like to mention something about the part in mean angry red.

They said that they were going to have like an introductory few days at the beginning of launch to help get people ranked up against more appropriate servers..

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-overruns-reddit/

Will you rank the WvW servers prior to launch? Throwing the heavy hitters like Sorrow’s Furnace against an unpopulated server will result in Unfun.

[MF] We will not rank servers, but we will likely have a short period after launch where we run shorter matches like we do during the BWE’s to allow servers to sort themselves out through normal play. If we tried to rank servers beforehand we’d invariably be wrong and some server would still end up getting stomped for 2 weeks, which isnt fun for anybody.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The main difference is that in GW2, if something was promised, it for damn sure is in the game. It's not "oh, we'll throw it in the game in a future patch".

It's in the game...NOW.

I will say this, though: if you play GW2 like an MMOG and just try to level, you MAY have issues. Yes, there are plenty of ways to level (hearts/des, crafting, exploring, WvW), but you will be missing out on the sheer depth of the game.

However, if you play it like an RPG, you are definitely going to enjoy it alot more.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• WolfenbrWolfenbr Member Posts: 34

I was hyped for swtor, probably the best leveling experience i ever had in a mmo, then i got to the end game and it was the same old stuff, do a ton of daiiy quests, get noob gear, do raids, get great gear, wait for new content, repeat everything again. That pretty much killed the game for me. Yes, there was a lot of bugs but, honestly, they were never a big problem for me.

Now i'm hyped for guild wars 2, everything i saw on bw1 and bw2 was great, i pretty much want to get inside a hibernation machine and wake up right before the release. Problem is, we only saw some low level stuff and had a few days of PVP.

Truth is, there is still a lot of potential for disaster here. Sure, there were a lot of presentations for mid-level stuff but those were in controlled environments and even so, only showed a little of content. We don't really know how polished and ready the rest of the game is and how it will actually be during release. We don't even know the release date (yes i know, "2012", "it's ready when it's ready"... bite me).

Yet i bought the game, why? I saw some videos (actual gameplay videos, not the pretty cgi stuff that other mmos usually show) and started to like a lot of the ideas in the game, there is also no subscription and by what i could see in the forums, people really like the work of arenanet.

TL;DR:

Swtor was hyped, it failed in the end but i had fun and it was worth what i payed for it, though not by much. 

Gw2 is hyped, it's probably going to be great and even if it isn't, it will be worth the price, at least for most people who want something different, imho.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

@OP: Please Don't start comparing a sequel to one of the best and most complete and satisfying gaming experiences in the genre  to a half-assed WoW-Clone with a Star Was-Tag, just don't. Apples and oranges.

Guild Wars 2 has no way near as much hype as it deserves (just played beta-weekend, long time Guild Wars Player here) whereas with SWTOR it was exactly the other way around.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

I can tell you this, unlike swtor , Anet wont force us to stay commited with the game with subscription and its producer will never insult us as 'casuals' when we decide not to play the game anymore because of bad experience.

This kinda mmorpg will not force you to be hyped about it ,where it gives the impression that u need to buy this ASAP or your friends might leave u behind , so u'll be doing mostly power levelling trying to catch up to them . Not this game.

You can buy thisgame 2-3months later  and be involved in large scale pvp no prob , and dynamic questing together with ur 80 friends and still have enough challenge for your frends.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Yamota When I read articles, previews and what not about GW 2, for some reason it reminds me alot of the time just before SW:TOR was released. The same type of excagurated expectations. So I am wondering if it will play out the same. Huge sales for the first month, just to start to declines only a couple of months after and people complaining that "it is just like WoW". Well maybe not the latter but still, I cant stop to feel that this is yet another over-hyped, simplistic ThemePark with alot of bling but very little depth. But then again, MMORPGs seems to have evolved, and I use that therm loosely, into these kind of games that you play for, at most, a couple of months and then move on to the next one, just like single player games.
    I've gotten 81 hours of play from GW2 so far, since the start of the Beta Weekend Events. I'm pretty sure that exceeds the amount of time I got from SWTOR once it launched before giving up on that game. I enjoyed almost every minute of those 81 hours, never touched WvW, only played 3 SPVP matches and still haven't experienced more than half of the PvE content we had access to, which is only about 25% of the entire game world. I loved the game even more at the 81 hour mark than I did at the start and I can't wait to experience more.

Too many MMOs since wow have failed to keep me playing for more than 40 hours, so GW2 is already lengths ahead of the genre norm at this point.

The game is not perfect. There are little things here and there that could be better, but on the whole the game reinvigorates a stale genre and actually lives up to the hype, which no game since WoW has managed to do.

GW2 will do something very similar to SWToR. It may not be nearly as dramatic and the GW2 developer may deal with the post launch player drop off better, but the general pattern will repeat. That pattern is determined by the players, not the developer.

The part that will make a difference is the developer's response. Bioware seems to be gobsmacked that people would actually stop playing their game after a month or that people would get to the max level and not want to do the same old raid thing. Bioware's response hasn't done a whole lot to minimize the impact of the post launch population drop and they haven't added anything to make the game better, in my opinion. Trion is at the opposite end of the spectrum. When the Rift population did the post launch shuffle, Trion responded with things to specifically minimize the impact, in addition to adding things to expand the game and make it better. It will be interesting to see how the GW2 devs respond.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.