Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it with these leveling speed complaints on the official forums?

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

So I was checking out the official forums, and it seems like the complaint du jour is:  

"I completed my starting zone but I'm not high enough level to go to the next zone."

Here are two threads that talk about this:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/GW2-feels-too-much-like-a-chore/page/1

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Clarification-on-most-leveling-complaints/page/1#post219865

Now...I just don't get these complaints.  If anyone has played the BWE, they should know that there is PLENTY of content to level you up on hearts alone if you want.  You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.

It seems like these posters basically just want to be completely led by the nose through their zone and their zone alone, and are not willing to even try to go anywhere else.  Instead they would rather complain that there isn't enough stuff to do on the boards.

If you can't tell, this annoys me because I don't want ANET to react to their feedback and increase the leveling speed so that they can go right from Queensdale to Kessex Hills.  What do you all think of this?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

People aren't used to this style of progression anymore.  We've been spoon fed and hand held for so many years that to a lot of gamers that's the only way there is.  The good news is that it's not hard to figure out where to go and what to do if EXP is your concern as the game practically has avenues of gaining it at every turn.

Exploration, Hearts, DE's, Personal Story, PVP, mob killin' etc etc.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

The problem stems from the fact that DE frequency is undertuned right now, most likely from all the feedback during BWE1 complaining that there were too many events/resetting too fast. I even made a thread about this in the Dynamic Event forum.

If you read carefully, it is easy to tell that people finding themselves underlevelled are levelling exclusively through DE's and Renown Hearts. Those (including myself) that participate in everything from WvW to crafting to exploration do not have any problems levelling. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Creslin321

If you can't tell, this annoys me because I don't want ANET to react to their feedback and increase the leveling speed so that they can go right from Queensdale to Kessex Hills.  What do you all think of this?

Yeah right like that's gonna happen.  Hello "exp booster pax" in the cash shop!  It's not like Anet is going to undermine their cash shop just to pacify a few players.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Maybe the hearts thing was too much of a compromise? IE, "Well, my hearts is at 100%, I'm done with this area. Why ain't I the right level for the next area, paw?" One accommodation leads to another...if you don't lead them a little, they don't know what to do. If you do lead them, then they consider that bit the entire game and ignore everything else.

Sometimes I wonder why these people even play games. They aren't playing games.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Let's see in BWE 1 I leveled to 21 in BWE 2 I am still lvl 21...

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

They're probably WoW:Cataclysm players who just steamrolled through azeroth. Honestly... I like the fact that I have to spend time to level my character. Yea I get a little irritated here and there a little bit cause I'm itching to go fight dragon champions and such but that's what an MMO is... It's FUN grind so I'm ok with it :D

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Complete all teh hearts. You'll level up in no time

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Then you simply did not play that toon. Sorry, but I was not even trying and I gained levels at a decent pace between WvW, Crafting, personal story, and DEs. To say you could not get 1 level in 3 days is simple absurd and trolling. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I'm seeing a lot of these in other forums, as well. They make me sad.

I love the XP rate right now. I really miss the games that had slower XP rates (like WoW used to), and in most recent MMO's I actually level way too fast.

I didn't even go to other races starter zones. I just spend a lot of time looking at every nook and crany. And, yes, I will repeat a DE or two, I think a lot of them are cool, and I feel a bit of a devotion to the zone where I have to fix the disturbances, hehe. And I love that I am free to participate or run off and do something else.

They will probably buff the XP rates but I hope they won't... >_< I hope they won't give anyone any extra gold, either.

(And before someone starts a tirade against casual players and how casual players are entitled and want everything, I'm a casual player. If you go on such a tirade, I'm gonna consider that as a personal offense against ME. Not all casual players like sped up gameplay.)

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I had this problem in the first BWE. I didn't really do any Hearts. So what I found was I would do one DE then wander around trying to find another. Part of the problem was probably an old habit of going to a level appropriate area. So if I was lvl 17, I would head to an area there were mobs of that level. One DE is never enough to level you up. So I would constantly be moving to higher and higher level territory so I didn't repeat content.

This BWE I did a large number of Hearts to keep my gear current. Didn't run into any problems leveling wise.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by atziluth

Then you simply did not play that toon. Sorry, but I was not even trying and I gained levels at a decent pace between WvW, Crafting, personal story, and DEs. To say you could not get 1 level in 3 days is simple absurd and trolling. 

I could be wrong, but it sounded to me like he leveled from 0 to 21 in BWE2 too, just like he ended up being at level 21 after the BWE1. Meaning that it doesn't look like leveling speed changed drastically from 1 to the next BWE.

At least, that's how I read his post.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by x5100

They're probably WoW:Cataclysm players who just steamrolled through azeroth. Honestly... I like the fact that I have to spend time to level my character. Yea I get a little irritated here and there a little bit cause I'm itching to go fight dragon champions and such but that's what an MMO is... It's FUN grind so I'm ok with it :D

yeah,i doubt wow players will last very long in guild wars 2.unlike in wow,theres no phat loots for them to obsess over 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by atziluth

I could be wrong, but it sounded to me like he leveled from 0 to 21 in BWE2 too, just like he ended up being at level 21 after the BWE1. Meaning that it doesn't look like leveling speed changed drastically from 1 to the next BWE.

At least, that's how I read his post.

That's what I read it as as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

You shouldn't be forced to hop to another races area (or grind) that's just bad design. I did all hearts all story quests found all waypoints and areas of interest in my lvl range in the human starting area (aswell as quite a few in the city) while completing every DE i came across yet when i was about to go through the garrison you defend in the tutorial I found myself 2! levels lower (4) then i should be (6). Something is wrong with the xp gain. (played human slum background)

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    Originally posted by x5100

yeah,i doubt wow players will last very long in guild wars 2.unlike in wow,theres no phat loots for them to obsess over 

I doubt that every WoW player or even the majority obsess over phat loot, that's kinda of an elitist generalisation (and thus wrong) to make.

Most people simply want a smooth, accessible and fun MMO to play in which they can hang out with their friends and guildies.

Regardless of the MMO people played, but MMO gamers that played WoW longterm will probably be accustomed to a certain level of quality, accessibility and ease of play. So far, GW2 shouldn't have a problem with that, not for people who're looking for something different, nor for people who're looking for a certain ease of play. Not everyone who's looking for something different or for ease of play and accessibility will find GW2 to their liking, ofc, but then again, no game ever is to everyone's liking.

As for the XP gain, I agree, make it easy to get your xp via heart quests and DE's, and people'll expect that'll be enough, it might feel like a stumbling block and unpleasant surprise when suddenly it isn't. Not that big of a problem, but sort of a bump in the road. Will most likely get less of an issue from higher levels onwards since then the areas in which people from different GW2 races level will be more the same ones.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Basically, this weekend I focused on leveling an Engineer from 1 - 18 in PvE and played a ton of structured PvP with a guardian and a thief. I did feel like leveling was slower than last weekend (I changed areas at level 11 or so to avoid fighting mobs a couple levels above me). There are a few reason why this might be true.

1. It could be due to the fact that I was doing the Charr area instead of the Norn.

2. It could be because they lowered the DE rate a bit.

3. It could be because I didn't craft as much as last time (because I had a few of the ones I wanted high enough already).

4. I didn't explore on my character nearly as much (probably because I had already seen a lot of places).

5. I didn't WvW as much or as successfully as last BWE for whatever reason.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

At the moment, GW2 does not do a very good job of explaining itself. Hearts are not the end all, be all of an area. They are simply intended to lure you to a spot and from there, your interactions with the NPCs were supposed to kick off small missions which snowballed into DEs. However, there is absolutely nothing in the game that even hints to this.

Second, yes, if you are underleveled, you will have a bit of an issue exploring as mobs will kick your ass. And there is a very large flaw in "zomg, just go to another races starting area for exp." It's called replayability. Visiting other races starting area for exp, means that playing any of those starting races is going to be an exercise in repetition. There is an equally large flaw in assuming that everyone should be happy with a large amount of their necessary exp coming from crafting.

Third, simply telling people that "leveling is not the point" is neatly counteracted by the personal story have very clear level requirements. You are only level 14 and have finished Queensdale? You probably wouldn't really give it a second thought, if there wasn't that big red (16) next your personal story based in the next zone where everything is slapping you around.

Fourth, repetition is repetition. Do you know what the term is for a game design that encourages doing the same thing over and over? A grind. No one explores to see the same thing. 2 or 3 times, ok, maybe. However, if people are getting bored of an event the fifth time around, it is doing no one any favours to claim that they were "just in the wrong mindset."

• revelationmdrevelationmd Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So I was checking out the official forums, and it seems like the complaint du jour is:  "I completed my starting zone but I'm not high enough level to go to the next zone."Here are two threads that talk about this:https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/GW2-feels-too-much-like-a-chore/page/1https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Clarification-on-most-leveling-complaints/page/1#post219865 

Nope, don't get it either. I was lvl 17 by the time i'd completed queens (not strictly true, there was 1 heart quest I just couldn't find - and gave up in the end). I think they have it just about right. Maybe, when you've done a starter zone a few times and you don't feel drawn to every dynamic event (I was just utterly incapable of running past them without getting involved) things may be different but at the moment it seems about right to me.

"that's kinda of an elitist generalisation (and thus wrong) to make."

played wow since wrath of the lich king.raided everyweek

i think i have enough expierance to know.so no,its not a wrong elitist generalisation

eather way though,i hope the wow crowd avoids guild wars 2 and sticks to mop

i dont want another mmo ruined by the wow community like swtor was(even though swtor had more problems then just that,part of its problems was the wow community coming in and basically trying to turn the game into world of starwarscraft)

i think i have enough expierance to know.so no,its not a wrong elitist generalisation

Well, no offense, but your comments do sound like the typical elitist stance that a number of hardcore WoW raiders have against non-raiders but now about GW2 as topic, so there's that.

In any case, if you think that when at GW2's launch whole hordes will be playing GW2 that a considerable part of those won't be WoW gamers too, then you're in for a big surprise.

But no, even then I doubt it'll make ANet's GW2 team change their core philosophy regarding GW2.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I played WoW since the closed beta right up untill Cataclysm, and I say you're wrong.

Wrong as in: Not every player has that stance in the game. I say again: not every player.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

I didn't play in the first BWE, so this was my first experience with GW2

I was trying to level strictly by following the hearts. That doesn't mean I went to the heart and moved to the next heart as soon as I finished it. I explored the whole area around the heart looking for events. My experience was somewhat frustrating. 

I found it difficult to find active events. If I had already beaten the heart event, usually nothing else was going on near-by. I would extend my search away from the heart and find myself running for several minutes without encountering any events. Was I supposed to go talk to all the NPCs near the heart to trigger an event? I have no idea. In the end, I was giving up and teleporting around the world looking for events going on nearby, just so I could to the next part of the story.

Based on my experience, the world was not all that "eventful". Also, I thought DEs were supposed to chain? I only encountered two DEs that chained: the water pipe one (where they repair the pipes after the first raid), and the bandit raid on the farmland (if the bandits win, you have to clear them). Is a chain of 2 the typical? Seems a little weak. 

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

Why are people saying there are no "phat loots". I got loot all the time. Are they just trying to say (in an idiotic way) that GW2 isn't focused on raid grinds? I found the game to have the same kind of gear stats as any other. I was still debating whether I wanted crit or power. I see no difference. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

With access to 3 starting zones their shouldn't be any problems leveling from the beginning.  I just made 26 to 30 in 3 hours.  Exploration is definately key, many times DEs are often the beaten track.

I didnt notice a problem in the frequency.