Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nexon invests in NCSoft

Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Something is going on

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/nexon-invests-6-8m-in-ncsoft-becomes-largest-shareholder/

what? i dont know, but i hope it will be something good

^-^

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Nooo ;-; refund my GW2 please

*hits nexon with a sledgehammer*

I hate youuuu >_< Go away nexon, please.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

I don't know, but isn't his like a Pre-hostle take over?   

Om nom nom

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Agoden

Nooo ;-; refund my GW2 please

*hits nexon with a sledgehammer*

I hate youuuu >_< Go away nexon, please.

Haha, yes.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

At least we are not the only ones believing in the long term success of gw2.

Harbinger of Fools
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Didn't Nexon just go public not all that long ago? (I read something but I don't recall)  They might be looking for investments as a way to store cash.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by cooper85

I don't know, but isn't his like a Pre-hostle take over?   

Om nom nom

It's hardly a "hostile" deal when they buy the shares from NCSoft's chairman, CEO and founder. It's quite the opposite.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    Yes! know nexus kingdom of 3 winds will again be the best MMO game muahaha
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

14.7% ownership, THAT IS A TAKEOVER.

you normally only need something like 8% to a max of 12% to pretty much control a company.   Essentially what happens when it comes time for share holders to vote for board of directors or any major vote(say merger), most people do not participate.   Meaning that the 50+% to control a company is actually a myth.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I dunno how to feel about this, but that chill up and down my spine is telling me evils coming...

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by anemo

14.7% ownership, THAT IS A TAKEOVER.

you normally only need something like 8% to a max of 12% to pretty much control a company.   Essentially what happens when it comes time for share holders to vote for board of directors or any major vote(say merger), most people do not participate.   Meaning that the 50+% to control a company is actually a myth.

Thank you for explaining.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

It's a soft takeover and very probably one or two Nexon executives will get on the board at NCSoft and there's a very good chance one of them will sooner or later fill the position of chairman.

I suspect it will be rather sooner. The old chairman, CEO and founder of NCSoft might stay on as CEO, usually with such deals these things are already agreed upon.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Maybe NCSoft can show Nexon how to hire customer support.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It's like a win/win situation because they assume a giant jump once GW2 releases, guaranteeing dividends... and if they end up sinking for the other crap games they have, they might have to sign over the rights to them to stave off what is owed to the new 'investors'. Nexon is smurt.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

After reading the article i can expand my dreams. Tonight Im going to dream with Blade and Soul free to play... YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITs just a dream, but hey, It Sounds great lol

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by rojo6934

After reading the article i can expand my dreams. Tonight Im going to dream with Blade and Soul free to play... YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHUTUP MAN!

You're just gonna destroy my entire reality when it comes out with a 15$ a month sub, gets less attention from the devs because the western market ain't falling for it (like Aion), and then take years to go F2P (like Aion).

This is the same company that outright ditched Auto Assault, Exteel and Tabula Rasa because they were too stupid to go F2P with them in the first place. The epitaph on their grave will read "always late to the party".

/cry

Plus, Nexon is THE WORST F2P company there is. Every single one of their games lack subtlety in the CS. They will ruin any NCsoft game worse than NCsoft can, should they get executive decision on how to run the microtransactions.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by rojo6934

SHUTUP MAN!

You're just gonna destroy my entire reality when it comes out with a 15$ a month sub, gets less attention from the devs because the western market ain't falling for it (like Aion), and then take years to go F2P (like Aion).

This is the same company that outright ditched Auto Assault, Exteel and Tabula Rasa because they were too stupid to go F2P with them in the first place. The epitaph on their grave will read "always late to the party".

/cry

Plus, Nexon is THE WORST F2P company there is. Every single one of their games lack subtlety in the CS. They will ruin any NCsoft game worse than NCsoft can, should they get executive decision on how to run the microtransactions.

well the article says Nexon only has a share ownership of 14.7% so maybe they could influence NCSOFT to release B&S as F2P while NCSOFT still managing it (including CS). As long as its not P2W i would love to see it F2P.

It might be an interesting Odyssey from now until B&S releases in the West

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Can't help but wonder what effect this will have on GW2's cash shop...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• FalconiumFalconium Member Posts: 20

If somehow Nexon gets a chance to influence GW2 cash shop it's going to be something like this-

"Now in Cash Shop - Enchantment Scroll

For just 1600 gems, you can buy an Enchantment Scroll! Apply this on any one of your item for a chance at up to three, random enchantments!

With this scroll you have a 0.001% chance per use per item to get 21% bonus damage on one item! Buy more to get all your items to max enchantments to be able to do over 400% damage!"

Oh wait, that would still be less P2W than MapleStory's cubes, nebulites, gachapon, and wheel of destinies. o___o

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Not trying to be a killjoy but this news seems quite like the captain of the Titanic asking what's with all the racket and shaking.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61

I wonder how this will effect the next  "revolutionary" mmo, GW2.  These companies want to suck all the money they can from their customers never mind releasing a good product.   After TOR mmo's just don't apeal to me any longer.  Been screwed too many times now.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Do gamers really care who made the game?

You see 'boycott game maker XYZ for ABC reason!' all the time but those games sell millions.

D3, Starcraft2, COD has no LAN! Boycott!

EA is the most evil company!

But I look at the top 10 sales charts and all I see are COD, D3, FIFA etc.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• CyflymCyflym Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by jpnz

Do gamers really care who made the game?

You see 'boycott game maker XYZ for ABC reason!' all the time but those games sell millions.

D3, Starcraft2, COD has no LAN! Boycott!

EA is the most evil company!

But I look at the top 10 sales charts and all I see are COD, D3, FIFA etc.

yea it's sad so see, like a junkie looking for his next fix

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

I have to be honest, i've never tried any game from Nexon, so... ok, not even Vidictus. But, it's strange, when we see this from  a minor company buys the giant NCS.

When we saw what happened with star trek with Perfect World, probably some of us were expecting something like this, the economy makes its laws, and the actual refund is so extremely big in a stupid F2P game than we can never believe. It's giant, the profit.

I think this thread is allready closed, and the mod's can close it, but i think this subject has an important interest for discussion...

PS... And Portugal wins Holland(Netherlands) on Sunday.  Go go Portugal ^-^

• BlackSwanZABlackSwanZA Member UncommonPosts: 3

Dragon Nest was seriously fun (though sadly it's massive hidden potential was never realised by developers) and Blade & Soul is awesome - even in it's BETA form. With Blade & Soul coming up, I was intrigued to hear about this investment. Also wondering who may get the rights to Dungeon Striker. :)