Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMO's worth playing in this day and age?

2»

Comments

• NormantisNormantis Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by AtrusV

Yes, the MMO's are worthy this days. But you also need different ways of entertainment, otherwise you'll get bored pretty soon. I still remember the days of certain year (when Age of Conan hitted the store's shelves), when every old and new MMO (apart from EVE Online and WoW) sucked a lot. That year was horrible, and I can't even remember if there were a worthy singleplayer or multiplayer at that time.

Nowadays we have a lot of options, most of them cheap or without monthy fees. The market of the F2P is healthy, and they have a decent quality (in my case, World of Tanks is my favourite, and the game that consumes most of my time) We have a lot of single player games with a decent life span (The Witcher 2, lost of choices and replayability; Skyrim, almost a sandbox; Minecraft and its tons of mods, a sandbox; Diablo 3.... what to say about this one....) And of course, the MMO market is still interesting, but I think that companies are realizing that very few products have the right to ask for a monthy fee (sandboxes mainly, because they are pretty incompatible with F2P) And looking at the future, Guild Wars 2 and Archeage are really promising.... So yes, we are living a great moment for the MMO's and game market in general

Your post has me thinking.  I do remember huge dry spells in my gaming a few years back before I knew about Steam and other sites.  Where the local game store and EGM magazine were the best sources for info. Now with Steam I am finding all sorts of gems.  Mostly older games Steam practically gives away (I perfer gameplay over graphics). Now I find myself surrounded by well crafted, fun, cheap games that less and less time is being spent in mmo's. 

Edit:  Mount & Blade Collection sale on steam today, $8.74 USD, that is atleast a months multiplayer fun for 1/2 price of a standard sub fee.  SOLD!

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Normantis
    Originally posted by AtrusV

Yes, the MMO's are worthy this days. But you also need different ways of entertainment, otherwise you'll get bored pretty soon. I still remember the days of certain year (when Age of Conan hitted the store's shelves), when every old and new MMO (apart from EVE Online and WoW) sucked a lot. That year was horrible, and I can't even remember if there were a worthy singleplayer or multiplayer at that time.

Nowadays we have a lot of options, most of them cheap or without monthy fees. The market of the F2P is healthy, and they have a decent quality (in my case, World of Tanks is my favourite, and the game that consumes most of my time) We have a lot of single player games with a decent life span (The Witcher 2, lost of choices and replayability; Skyrim, almost a sandbox; Minecraft and its tons of mods, a sandbox; Diablo 3.... what to say about this one....) And of course, the MMO market is still interesting, but I think that companies are realizing that very few products have the right to ask for a monthy fee (sandboxes mainly, because they are pretty incompatible with F2P) And looking at the future, Guild Wars 2 and Archeage are really promising.... So yes, we are living a great moment for the MMO's and game market in general

Your post has me thinking.  I do remember huge dry spells in my gaming a few years back before I knew about Steam and other sites.  Where the local game store and EGM magazine were the best sources for info. Now with Steam I am finding all sorts of gems.  Mostly older games Steam practically gives away (I perfer gameplay over graphics). Now I find myself surrounded by well crafted, fun, cheap games that less and less time is being spent in mmo's. 

Edit:  Mount & Blade Collection sale on steam today, $8.74 USD, that is atleast a months multiplayer fun for 1/2 price of a standard sub fee.  SOLD!

Not to mention the new free to play games on steam. At least Global Agenda is a little jewel

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Having not read any replies, and skimmed the OP, my reply is this : No, there are no MMO's worth the money out there at the moment.

I came into the MMO genre expecting virtual worlds. I came away with a hole in my pocket, deflated opinions of studios and a growing sense of apathy regarding MMOs as a genre.

More brandy please ... :-)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Metentso
    MMOS are not worth playing at the moment, and it doesnt seem it's going to change. Thank developers greed for that. To think MMOS were the best experience you could get in a videogame once. Not anymore.

This is spot on.

Its to easy, to little pvp and greedy developers.

Instead of making it right they are trying to clone WOW, and they end up makeing an inferior product. I havent stayed in a MMO for years now, and i used to be hardcore top 15% player.

• ShariestShariest Member Posts: 44

Meh, i find them worthy... Im not a social person, but i like to watch other people fail...  

But many MMO's at once? Can't see that happening for me (Already decided to play TSW before jumping to MoP)

The "Worth" and such things are in your head, what do you think is worthy?

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Yup, I'm with you there. I'm as jaded as they get with the tab target and click on a hotbar of abilities MMO's and quickly get bored with them. The single player choices,especially the Indie developers make Steam a more worthy investment of finding some immersive gaming entertainment worthy of your money these days.

Right now I'm really enjoying  the Back to the Future adventure by Telltale games. I'm thankful to SOE though for giving the go ahead for a Planetside 2, as that's just want I needed to excite my MMO space once again.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I really don't think it's a matter of "what is worth one's time" as much as it's "what is worth the value".

Everyone can agree that some games aren't worthy of a subscription fee anymore, but beyond that, *yes*, they are still worth your time. Just not your absolute devotion, everyday, for years at a time (like it used to be). Things are moving away from games we are slaves to, and into games that are diversions for as long as we can simply keep interest in them.

People still play Farmville ffs... so it's quite evident that people will play utter shit if there is no barrier to entry.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21

The MMO I've played the most was Dofus; I particularly enjoyed the strategy aspect of combat and the advantages of travelling in a party for loot drop bonuses. At the time, a fairly large part of the world was playable for free, and the rest opened with a subsciption. I felt it was worth it and even payed for a few of the months I played...

Then I got a job and my MMO grinding days came to a screeching halt... there's no way I can be addicted to a game like that and still be functional.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I dont think cash shop games are worth playing. They all feel like cheap nicle and dime cash grabs. I prefer and think I can afford better entertainment. I rather watch TV or read a good book.

If they are linear and on rails it will be worse. And then if the game starts at max level and you are supposed to farm the same areas and bosses over and over to get gear it becomes very boring. More so because you know it will all be reset when the next content patch is released. And you will have to start again farming a new set of gear the same boring way.

I think MMORPG:s can and should be much more than that and more interesting in general. Complex virtual worlds with freedom to do and be a lot of things. Exploring should be the goal. And the player should need to decide what and who he/she wants to be in that world. Then you will feel special and your character can mirror who you are or the character in the game you feel is right and interesting.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I am drifting away from mmorpgs. I am enjoying FPS games more like Tribes Ascend its instant fun, I think mmofps maybe where the fun will begin again, Planetside 2 is an example.

What it comes down to is that I feel as though I have done everything there is to offer, I have capped out in many games, I am old skool, I have been a part of some of the best guilds on my servers.  Ive done it I have the t-shirt for most if not all things on offer.

I find myself more and more tired of the copy cat class systems, kill the same raid bosses over and over and over again waiting for some shit bag to wake up so that he doesnt stand in fire, the horrid go there kill 10 loot x quest system, the daily quests that are drudgery and the tab target.

You could say I am burnt or you could say the mmorpg genre is now stale. I have one wow account active because a few months ago I thought the annual pass was a good idea, well my family are enjoying sharing it anyway I no longer really play it nor diablo 3.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GTwander

I really don't think it's a matter of "what is worth one's time" as much as it's "what is worth the value".

Everyone can agree that some games aren't worthy of a subscription fee anymore, but beyond that, *yes*, they are still worth your time. Just not your absolute devotion, everyday, for years at a time (like it used to be). Things are moving away from games we are slaves to, and into games that are diversions for as long as we can simply keep interest in them.

I think this is pretty spot on.

Games are moving away from something you are married to, and more towards something you play for enjoyment when you have the time. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sure I have nostalgia of spending too much time playing EQ, or DAoC, or WoW, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be doing that now. Some of us have jobs, and lives, and even though we like what MMOs have to offer, we can't realistically spend as much time as we used to.

I think as long as 'you' (figurative, not necessarily directed at you) still approach MMOs as something that demands all of your time, you will not be satisfied. Simply put, our expectations have expanded quicker than what any developer can possibly deliver. Sure there's been issues of greed, or shady business practices in the past, but we have had honest developers that are trying to do things differently, only to get spat on by the community.

MMOs are still worth playing, but only if you're able to approach them realistically, and are willing to support those who are trying to evolve the genre. Sorry to say this, but the honeymoon phase of MMOs is passed. The sky is no longer the limit, and there is a cap on what developers can make (usually in the form of time & money). Keep in mind that MMOs are still the most expensive games to make. You can expect the moon, but it doesn't mean that can realistically happen. Even WoW took years to become what it is now. When it launched it didn't even have half of the features it does today.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by GTwander

I think this is pretty spot on.

Games are moving away from something you are married to, and more towards something you play for enjoyment when you have the time. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sure I have nostalgia of spending too much time playing EQ, or DAoC, or WoW, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be doing that now. Some of us have jobs, and lives, and even though we like what MMOs have to offer, we can't realistically spend as much time as we used to.

I think as long as 'you' (figurative, not necessarily directed at you) still approach MMOs as something that demands all of your time, you will not be satisfied. Simply put, our expectations have expanded quicker than what any developer can possibly deliver. Sure there's been issues of greed, or shady business practices in the past, but we have had honest developers that are trying to do things differently, only to get spat on by the community.

MMOs are still worth playing, but only if you're able to approach them realistically, and are willing to support those who are trying to evolve the genre. Sorry to say this, but the honeymoon phase of MMOs is passed. The sky is no longer the limit, and there is a cap on what developers can make (usually in the form of time & money). Keep in mind that MMOs are still the most expensive games to make. You can expect the moon, but it doesn't mean that can realistically happen. Even WoW took years to become what it is now. When it launched it didn't even have half of the features it does today.

In my mind games are moving from something that you had to have to try hard to win in... to something you have to try hard to lose in..

There is no victory if there is no challenge.  I'm not talking about putting games to the difficulty tier of Battletoads on the NES. But at least put some mystery in a game and something to strive to acheive that makes you feel like you accomplished something (a goal).  This goes for all games, not just MMO's

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Normantis

These are my opinions and I would like to hear if I am not alone in this thinking.

Don't worry, any negative viewpoint attracts me toos.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

Yes i agree with this as well, but even though im not hardcore gamer anymore, i do feel the industry has gone from making games to making moneymakers.

The best games i have ever played all had pvp, and had some degree of difficulty to them. I did play wow for a while, more because they were ahead of all others for a few years, so it compensated for the lack of good pvp and difficulty lvl.

Right now its no games out there worth mentioning imo. DaoC isnt what what it was because of ToA. Shadowbane has come and gone. Asherons Call 1 is empty and dated. EvE isnt my kind of thing because it involves "beeing" a spaceship. In Darkfall the interface/ui/grind/exploits killed the population.

Im dabbling in SWTOR but only because its the neewest thing. We have Secret World and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, but something tells me im going to be dissapointed with both, mostly because they get overhyped by people not liking the things i do like in gaming.

I think the need for toys and instant gratification are destroying the mmorpg industry. Because developers are more interested in pleasing the masses to make quick cash,  than try makeing a good game that would end up pleasing the masses anyway. It has gone so far that if somebody had given me a chanse to play one of the older games or similar again, i would have played for years straight.

Its just nothing out there...or im getting old. Or maybe both :)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

MMOs are worth the $60 box + sub (or F2P or B2P or w/e)  for me and my friends.

It might not be for you and tha's fine.

If you can't find anything worth paying for, then speak with your wallet or go to Kickstarter and support one.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Resiakraw
    I think you, like many others, have just outgrown the genre.
    I agree with most of the others that MMORPGs are not worth playing. The genre has changed, not us "old timers".

I am bitter because I have been left out in the cold. Developers no longer make the kinds of games I enjoy being in. I am now in the minority, which kind of hurts. I am happy for those players who DO enjoy the new MMO genre, I just wish there was a game or two or three that catered to my kind of play style.

Games where worlds were the top priority and getting players involved in that world was paramount in design considerations.

Games where "end game" is non-existant and "content addition scrambles" were not necessary because players were tearing through each new update at FTL speeds.

Games where difficulties were overcome for achievements.

Games where death was not a form of fast transport.

Games where server choice was important, not just another "instance" of players.

Games where people actually interacted with each other, not just their guilds or groups.

Games that policed their players to make the community more enjoyable. Some people just do not know how to handle freedoms.

Games where you did quests to get cool abilities and gear for your character. I remember having to quest to get my pet as a hunter or get each of my new druid forms in WoW. I remember questing to get my newbie armor pieces in EQ. I remember searching all over Norrath (EQ) for some of my bard songs!

No, the genre has changed, not me. MMOs are not worth playing, for me.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR