Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay is boring and repetitive

Comments

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Not trolling, just saw the post and read it...

As for questing, to say that GW2 has the most unique quest system is false.  Try TSW's quest system...haven't seen anything like it and although there are "hubs" they aren't obvious and they make sense.  Exploration is key if you want to find the side quests.  There are tons of quests that you must find rather than hub.  Also, there aren't alot of kill x of y....there are some, but that's definitely not the norm.  

I find it hard to think that Anet could make something so different...GW1 was a more dull WoW but you didnt have to pay a monthly fee and the PVP was excellent....but there are so many "great" pvp games out there and nobody pays subscriptions for them....they are all FTP.  

just to let everyone know, I AM tired of the same old fantasy MMO's....just too many of them.  Im really sick of dwarves more than anything....but GW2 thankfully doesnt have them.  Dwarves piss me off....especially the way they talk and then you have people mimicking their speech style and that makes me even more mad....oh yeah....I hate RP too....

So you hate the Scottish dialect? that is funny about dwarves!!! 

yeah, Im really sorry if I offended anyone....dwarves and their old time scottish dialect is the most annoying thing Ive ever heard....especially when they talk about alcohol....calling it mead and stuff....ITS BEER AND LIQUOR!!! not mead

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

try TSW....no map hand-holding, no hand-holding....no nothing....especially with the investigation quests

not true at all you have a huge white compass marker thing points you in direction of quests.. very few quest don't actually point you exactly where you are supposed to go..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Rohn

No, his point is absolutely, 100% on the mark.  GW2 is one of the most thin, easy game I've seen in a long time.  It takes hand-holding to new heights.

Yes, the "undiscovered" points of interest are indeed listed on the map, along with almost everything else.  I've seen ridiculous excuses made for this - "hey, it's awesome for exploration because it lets me know it's there so I can find it", which is patently absurd to anyone interested in actual exploration in a game.

There comes a point when streamlining damages the enjoyability and challenge of a game.  GW2 has crossed that line.

Which is different than Skyrim's compass system how? It always lets you know there's something around the corner to discover and explore, yet I've never really heard someone say Skyrim holds your explorer hand.

As for the map itself, I never used it so I have no idea what was on it, being there doesn't mean you have to use it afterall. It's been a while since I've seen an MMO the opens up it's world to exploration like this game does. BE it on the land or under the water there's so much to find.

try TSW....no map hand-holding, no hand-holding....no nothing....especially with the investigation quests

I liked what I saw of TSW, nothing really wrong with it, it's just not my thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Aerowyn

not true at all you have a huge white compass marker thing points you in direction of quests.. very few quest don't actually point you exactly where you are supposed to go..

You'll have some quest help for sure and that's something I dont mind at all....but where do you find the quests?  you must explore to find them....and nothing on the map is gonna tell you where they are.  Investigation quests do not tell you where anything is and even moreso only give clues in the form of riddles, names that would give clues to locations and such things.  Sorry, I doubt GW2 brings any of that....Im imaging each "dynamic" quest takes you through a progression of things to do and finally you beat a boss....the end...rinse repeat....at least that's what it sounds like so far.

You'll have some quest help for sure and that's something I dont mind at all....but where do you find the quests?  you must explore to find them....and nothing on the map is gonna tell you where they are.  Investigation quests do not tell you where anything is and even moreso only give clues in the form of riddles, names that would give clues to locations and such things.  Sorry, I doubt GW2 brings any of that....Im imaging each "dynamic" quest takes you through a progression of things to do and finally you beat a boss....the end...rinse repeat....at least that's what it sounds like so far.

look at the map all the main "hubs" are marked.. the extra side quests yes you can explore and find which is fun.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"- A massive, fully realized open world PvP system that actually works. (WAR is the closest but it is lackluster in almost every other aspect and suffers form faction imbalance and low population)."

funny that people call wvwvw open world pvp.just like how bioware called ilum open world pvp.its not,from what ive looked at with wvwvw its just another battleground only bigger

"A 100% level playing field in instanced PvP"

well gee,the games still in beta.im sure overtime the "playing field"wont be level

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"- A massive, fully realized open world PvP system that actually works. (WAR is the closest but it is lackluster in almost every other aspect and suffers form faction imbalance and low population)."

well,open world pvp isnt exactly in guild wars 2.i dont consider porting to a place as open world pvp.and from what ive looked at,dont you have to port to the WvWvW zone? 

well gee,the games still in beta.im sure overtime the "playing field"wont be level

they are talking about the fact it's not going to be a gank fest like other PVP since in the structured you are same level as your opponents with access to all the same skills. But eventually yes it's going to be who is more skilled which is how it should be

look at the map all the main "hubs" are marked.. the extra side quests yes you can explore and find which is fun.

I wouldn't call them "hubs" because there aren't 5 people with no involvement in any story standing there waiting to give you a quest to kill 5 lizards...other than 1 location (which made sense in the grand scheme of things) there is on 1 person at any location and looking on the map might help you find them, but when I first jumped in the game (done first zone about 8 times now), I was just running around finding things...point is, the game wants you to explore and allows you to explore.  Also, your exploration doesn't just payoff by finding a side quest, remembering certain things about locations will help to solve investigation quests.  

Again, tell me what GW2 does "different" with their quest system?  Sounds like the same thing with a better mask.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

The TSW world is a place where you can come back a year later and find something new. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

funny that people call wvwvw open world pvp.just like how bioware called ilum open world pvp.its not,from what ive looked at with wvwvw its just another battleground only bigger

WHat it's like is having a separate world for PVP/PVE. Which WvW offers both...

(yeller) KInda hard to not have a level playing field when they give you everything you need and all skills/abilities available. If you're referring to the non-WVW pvp.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

I am impressed. Period. After starting as a Norn and running around taking a look at the surrounding area, doing a few Hearts I ran into a DE (dynamic event). There were these Minotours rampaging through the forrest. I did not have a quest from an NPC telling me to go to the forrest and kill X number of these things. As a friend and I started to engage the minotours some bandits that were hunting them and hidiing in trees jump down and started to attack. Where did they come from? I didn't see them on the map, an NPC didn't tell me to go collect 10 bandit bracers. The next five minutes was a pretty cool battle as other players in the area jumped in to the fray. Minotours charging, bandits weilding swords not to mention dodging and rolling in the battle to my attacks.

When it was over I was like, "cool" I'm only level 3 and have played for little over an hour. This is the type of game I want! Exploration, no hand holding, no spoon fed anything! I don't want to go to A, B, C, D, E along a rope telling me to kill 10 rats only to be told to go back and destroy 10 rats nests only to be told to go and collect the sticks of those nests I just destroyed to make a basket I can not use.

OP, we each have our opinions but this game is far and above the standard typical MMO. I would give it another chance and roll another profession. The combos and style of play for each profession is very impressive and deep. I understand what they have done and I am only level 3. Just being able to move and attack is a HUGE plus! You just don't stand there and exchange blows with the mob. The mobs dodge, you jump and dodge their attacks... you can actually AVOID attacks!

I haven't even mentioned the graphics, sounds, music, atmosphere or how smooth the beta is, no bugs, crashes, slow downs so far.

I would give it a bit more time and roll another profession. Things in this game may seem odd at first, that's because it is different than the majority of MMO's on what has been done in the past. Give it a little time to adjust to the cool new featrures and game play they have created. They have actually broken a lot of the cookies cutter molds that are out there. Is it the next coming? No. Is it better than most? Yes.

Just remember what Ferry Porsche said, "Change is easy, improvement is hard." GW2 has improved the genre. Thank you.

I wouldn't call them "hubs" because there aren't 5 people with no involvement in any story standing there waiting to give you a quest to kill 5 lizards...other than 1 location (which made sense in the grand scheme of things) there is on 1 person at any location and looking on the map might help you find them, but when I first jumped in the game (done first zone about 8 times now), I was just running around finding things...point is, the game wants you to explore and allows you to explore.  Also, your exploration doesn't just payoff by finding a side quest, remembering certain things about locations will help to solve investigation quests.  

Again, tell me what GW2 does "different" with their quest system?  Sounds like the same thing with a better mask.

basically what the police station is just they all have relavence to the story.. also all the main story points are marked on the map. The church, the lady at her house with the shotgun. It is more open and gives more variety in choices since it's not an exact set path through the zone.. but their is plently of hand-holding if you will in the majority of the quests. I like TSW for what it is but I don't find questing vastly superior to GW2 actually find the world of GW2 much more immersive as far as stuff going on. In TSW the enviornments are incredible but you still have way to many static points of mobs just standing in a spot not doing anything and haven't really ran into any sort of open world events yet in TSW

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

If you guys want to discuss TSW, you should take it to those forums.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by chaod1984 Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by chaod1984  

Neither are there 5 people waiting for you in a quest hub in GW2, there's one heart if you want to complete it, otherwise go off and explore and find your own content exactly the same way you do it in TSW. TSW is a far more story centric game that inhibits content (limits you're content allocation) to back that story/world up, a good thing IMHO, works well for it.

I like both games and both games go in different directions with their content delivery system, both of them less like the traditional theme park MMO's that have gone before them. It's not a competition for me it's about recognising what's done right (and wrong), both have improved content delivery in different ways, now I just need more play time in my life :)

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Neither are there 5 people waiting for you in a quest hub in GW2, there's one heart if you want to complete it, otherwise go off and explore and find your own content exactly the same way you do it in TSW. TSW is a far more story centric game that inhibits content (limits you're content allocation) to back that story/world up, a good thing IMHO, works well for it.

I like both games and both games go in different directions with their content delivery system, both of them less like the traditional theme park MMO's that have gone before them. It's not a competition for me it's about recognising what's done right (and wrong), both have improved content delivery in different ways, now I just need more play time in my life :)

that's kinda how I am...Im just burnt out on fantasy settings, so it doesnt work for me anymore...nothing personal and I know that Im in the minority more than likely....I really just wanted to flame about my distaste for Dwarves and their speech

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

As one man in a fadora to another this is apples and oragnes...TSW and GW2 two different games entirely, while I loved TSW's quests and storyline, i just felt the gameplay was lacking something, can't really put my finger on it either just felt kinda like no matter which spec I played I was the same just using a different weapon, its 500 different skills that only do about 50 unique abilities, excluding passives, it still boiled down to find the same certain build amongst the major players, while there is diversity, like what was discovered in guild wars 1 only certain builds are even viable the game screams cookie cutter at the core ending in an evitable loot race struggle, and yes with the occasional unique quests which is true of all MMOs, even with all the negative I just stated about this game I am still going to buy it and enjoy it for the qualities I do like.   Iknow this is the GW2 post but I just wanted to illustrate that not every game  fits the same style.  Comparing two games that are so different is pointless

FYI I logged almost 200 hours on TSW and played nearly every quest available in the CBT, I tried every spec available and I found certain builds  MUCH more effective than others.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Update: Just tried WwW for around 30 mins! Oh my! What a blast ! And you know whats funny? You are few against many ! The server is .. extra full in WwW! So I guess here is only the minority :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

TSW is static questing with a story line just like SW:TOR. It may be a decent game, like SW:TOR, but it will run stale a couple of months after its release, just like SW:TOR. If Funcom doesn't screw it up totally, of course.

This to say that TSW is nothing like GW2. And it has a forum on this site, I invite you to go there to talk about it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Vorch

There are other things to do in GW2 than quest. I would recommend ignoring hearts and go exploring ( you get decent experience for that). Try crafting out as well.

There is so much more to do than simply fight battle after battle after battle and then burn yourself out. Play the game like an RPG, not like a typical MMO. You'll find it much more rewarding.

Have you tried leatherworking?  How was getting leather mats in the norn starting zone without using the AH?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

There are other things to do in GW2 than quest. I would recommend ignoring hearts and go exploring ( you get decent experience for that). Try crafting out as well.

There is so much more to do than simply fight battle after battle after battle and then burn yourself out. Play the game like an RPG, not like a typical MMO. You'll find it much more rewarding.

Have you tried leatherworking?  How was getting leather mats in the norn starting zone without using the AH?

You're kidding, right? My bank is full of leather I don't even use since I'm not leatherworker...

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by cooper85

After 16 pages GW2 sounds like your run of the mill post WoW paper thin mmo that is catering to the instant gratification crowd.   Streamlined to be be made casual and easy. No mystery, no thought needed. Even "hidden points of intrest" are marked on the map?! Reall? Couple that with "We restricted the trait/skill system because we don't want people to be shocked and overwhelmed." ,  and you the perfect recipe for a 2 month counsole game. 

This is what the other side is saying... These aren't point of taste reviews these are game design reviews. 

couldn't be more off base but again ill see you in the TSW forums hyping the hell out of that one shortly

I have not   played GW2, but this is what is being said over and over by people who are not "all in" Where as in TSW, people said "I don't like the animations"  or "I don't like feel of combat (animations). These are points of taste.

What is being said here is about game design. Stuff like "I can't continue the story because I need to grind DEs to move on."  and " and  that "everything is handed to you on a silver plater." This is thin game design.

Again this is not what I'm saying, I have not played. This is what is being said in this thread.

I see well after playing both,  GW2 overall has a ton more stuff to do right out the game.. staying power we will see luckily GW2 has no sub and I can enjoy both games

That more to do "right out the game" Is being decribed as repetative DEs. Every DE sounds like kill 10 boars or collect 0 apples.  Some people arn't looking for  everything "right out the game" they want to be immersed and to learn/discover as they go.

again couldn't be more wrong and you are just taking words from people who never got past level 5

More like level 4, pretty sure the collect apple quest starts at level 4.  The funny thing is you can also kill spiders to get credit for that quest as well.

The questing in GW2 is amazing and allows total freedom.  Sure its not for everyone but i SUSPECT ITS FOR MOST EVERY ONE.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Let me say I am having a blast. I use to be Nazgol on here but got so irritated by the haters of SWTOR that I deleted that account. I hated this game with a passion. The haters were right in a lot of aspects about that game, and I was wrrong about that game as I was this one. I loving this game.   The combat is tactile. I am still a noob though so I am getting use to having to dodge (I have died numerous time due to this), but you know what it's fun. Most MMOs you pretty much can't die in the starter levels, this one keeps you on your toes.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

TSW is static questing with a story line just like SW:TOR. It may be a decent game, like SW:TOR, but it will run stale a couple of months after its release, just like SW:TOR. If Funcom doesn't screw it up totally, of course.

This to say that TSW is nothing like GW2. And it has a forum on this site, I invite you to go there to talk about it.

Oh, the irony. Spoken has if doing events won't get boring a few months after launch, unless newer, shinnier ones don't come out. That goes for every dev driven quest mmo.

I like both systems, since neither is hub based. I like events for just jumping in and grouping up, but prefer TSW's missions simply because there's finally something more than killing and fetching. There's still lots of it, i know, but having a good amount of puzzles is awesome, IMO.

Honestly, i'd LOVE to have both systems in an mmo.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You're kidding, right? My bank is full of leather I don't even use since I'm not leatherworker...

Poeple are complaining about it.  The norn starting zone doesn't have a lot.  IF you have gotten a lot  in the norn starting zone, tell us how you got it.  Be specific.  It's easy to say you have a lot of it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Poeple are complaining about it.  The norn starting zone doesn't have a lot.  IF you have gotten a lot  in the norn starting zone, tell us how you got it.  Be specific.  It's easy to say you have a lot of it.

I PLAYED the game. Yep, nothing more, nothing less.

I just checked, I have 170 leather scraps in bank (of the lowest level leather) - just from looting and salvaging.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !