Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What if SOE took over SWTOR? Good or Bad?

2

Comments

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member
    Originally posted by Loke666

    I think EQ2 is back to poor now again, it was good around the release of EoF but now a few rather bad expansions together with the F2P move screwed up things.

     

    EQ2 right now is a mixed bag.  As I just noted, Smokejumper does not inspire confidence, but now that he has less influence things can hopefully pick up.  There was a time when EQ2 was (arguably of course) the best raiding game on the market, that is where it suffers most now, the high end game has had a rough stretch.   

     

    However for the casual player, EQ2 is still one of the best offerings out there, and you could argue the best.  

  • cooper85cooper85 Springfield, ILPosts: 386Member
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

    "In a parallel universe where SOE buys SWTOR, reverse NGEs it, and saves the girl..."

    This is good stuff :)

  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

    At least SOE would have the brains, ideally, to bring some kind of sandbox element to the "MMO". The arbitrary approch Bioware took brings their sanity into question. Especially now, considering TOR probably has about 300k-500k REAL subs, if they're lucky.

    .adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
    .adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

     This is an awesome example of a quality mmorpg member, "Especially now, considering TOR probably has about 300k-500k REAL subs, if they're lucky " end awesome quote.

    What a great response, first of all, 500k subs to any mmorpg out other than World of Warcraft would be cause for that company to celebrate. Second those numbers are based off a combination of your obviously biased imagination and your cliche (I've never played a sandbox but I'm sure it would be better mixed with your, if everyone else hates SWTOR, I want in on the bandwagon).

     

  • crysentcrysent cedar rapids, IAPosts: 837Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rdrpappy
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

    At least SOE would have the brains, ideally, to bring some kind of sandbox element to the "MMO". The arbitrary approch Bioware took brings their sanity into question. Especially now, considering TOR probably has about 300k-500k REAL subs, if they're lucky.

    .adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
    .adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

     This is an awesome example of a quality mmorpg member, "Especially now, considering TOR probably has about 300k-500k REAL subs, if they're lucky " end awesome quote.

    What a great response, first of all, 500k subs to any mmorpg out other than World of Warcraft would be cause for that company to celebrate. Second those numbers are based off a combination of your obviously biased imagination and your cliche (I've never played a sandbox but I'm sure it would be better mixed with your, if everyone else hates SWTOR, I want in on the bandwagon).

     

    See I don't buy this - I think its fairly clear that Bioware was aiming for more, much, much more then 300-500k subs, hence why they had to lay off over 200 people.

    For some reason I don't think the investors at Bioware are 'celebrating' the current state of their game, and it's imporant to remember the sub base probably hasn't stopped dropping yet, many are still on their free 30 days and/or waiting to see if server merges take place.  

    Again, I find it very, VERY hard to belive Bioware or their investors are very happy with the state of their game.

  • ArdwulfArdwulf Columbus, OHPosts: 281Member
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Its not like anyone is going to say SoE is the perfect company, they have some big issues:

     

    Oh good god no. Anyobdy with a memory can point out dozens of things they're mesed up over the years. 
     
    As far as communication, I've come to the conclusion that SOE is actually fairly good at communicating with the core of their community, but they rely too much on FanFaire as a forum for doing so, so a lot of stuff leaks out to everybody else only slowly and irregularly, and often in an uncontrolled way. They were talking about voice fonts as a potential feature at FanFaire as early as 2007, for example, and that thurned into the narrative that it was imminent, and it's still not in. They started talking about EQNext a year or two ago and now people are asking why it isn't out yet, even though if you actually watched the EQNext seminars it was crystal clear that the project is very early in development.
     
    They're terrible at marketing and at communicating to the public at large, even the MMO-interested segement thereof, although they've shown some positive signs over the last year, having not made a total hash of the EQ2 all-out f2p push and they're doing a good job especially with Planetside 2 right now.  You have all the terrible community PR blunders of the early days of EQ, when it was clear they didn't yet understand how to run a service as opposed to selling software. "Working as intended," and that sort of thing.
     
    And of course you have the well-worn catastrophe of the NGE/CU. But that was first of all not as bad as the old SWG diehards make it out to be. In the long term it fixed a lot of things about the game that were badly broken to the point of near unplayability, though it removed much that was valuable as well. Plus it was done at the very least at the suggestion (and possibly the order) of LucasArts, unhappy that their property wasn't  #1 in the market. SOE isn't even close to the only party responsible for that.
     
    But show me another company that's been in the MMO business even half as long and has made fewer mistakes, and I'll show you... well, CCP. That's about it.

     

     

  • ZekiahZekiah Aurora, COPosts: 2,499Member

    The game is fundamentally flawed and $OE is too incompetent to do anything about it if they could.

    "Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

  • MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

    No way, just cut the head off and let the healing process begin.

    Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

    http://www.grimdawn.com/

  • RocketeerRocketeer NachrodtPosts: 1,304Member

    Personally i think the game would be better off in their hands. Sure SoE made some horrible mistakes, but its not like they don't learn. And in all fairness they where the first who tried a NGE on a established game, that atleast prevented NGEs for other games.

    Who knows, if not for SWG and its NGE, maybe Bioware would be a touting a big change in direction for the game, a ... New Game Experience.

     

    That being said, i like what they do and did with EQ 2. I mean compare WHO and Everquest 2, both have been on very low subs for quite some time, and now tell me, which company is better EA or SoE? If they decide to support a game they do, and if they decide not to(Vanguard) atleast they are pretty open about it.

    I fear this is not ending well for ToR. This game needs alot of attention from dedicated developers to stabilize, and im not convinced EA has the patience for it because this game won't be fixed this year.

  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    I personally have hated every MMORPG SOE has ever worked on, from their inception to their final days.

    Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

  • RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon

    Honestly.. I don't think I want any current dev team working on any project of late..  Is it just me, or does it feel that the entire industry is stuck on this "linear" themepark ride for money formula?  I understand that devs have a hard time regulating a sandbox enviroment, since they can't even deal with a simple themepark one.. BUT..  I'm so tired of the linear ONE path follow the breadcrumbs gig it makes me press the cancel button faster then I can turn off C-SPAN.. If devs want to stay with something a little more "predictable"?? then atleast go wtih a hybrid approach..  Since a well designed sandbox is too much to ask for, then atleast give us a spider web, where we have MULTIPLE paths to travel on, not this linear single line of pending bordom.. 

  • MMOSavantMMOSavant NuneatonPosts: 170Member
    Originally posted by NasherUK

    Very bad. Every MMO SOE has been involved with has flopped because they either screw with it after launch, or launch it in a broken state and everyone quits over-night...

    I'm hoping they learned something for Planetside 2 :/

     

    Really? EQ was a flop?

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Loke666

    I think EQ2 is back to poor now again, it was good around the release of EoF but now a few rather bad expansions together with the F2P move screwed up things.

     

    EQ2 right now is a mixed bag.  As I just noted, Smokejumper does not inspire confidence, but now that he has less influence things can hopefully pick up.  There was a time when EQ2 was (arguably of course) the best raiding game on the market, that is where it suffers most now, the high end game has had a rough stretch.   

     

    However for the casual player, EQ2 is still one of the best offerings out there, and you could argue the best.  

    Smokejumper has litterly ruined the entire game ever since he took the position!

    He is by far the worse producer EQ2 has ever had!

    It's just disgusting and really sad as to what he has done to this wonderful game!

    How he could ever authorize to let the level 1-80 reitemization go live, while EVERYONE in Test Server said NO! Do not do it!  ....is totally beyond me.

    He managed to totally wreck the entire level 1 - 80 experience (5+ years of great content and history) with one single script! And then even worse, just leave it as is and move on, without bothering fixing it!

    He is also the one that thought it was a great idea to remove old content from the game! Content many (me and my gf included) were still enjoying a great deal with our ALT's! Tons of players plea'd to Smokejumper to leave the old starter areas and quests in the game, but no! he knew better and did remove it anyway! Unfriggin' believable!!

     

    And when it comes to SOE! I have not a single shred of respect for that company anymore as to what they are now doing to the entire European playerbase, by selling us out to a totally craptastic amateuristic German satalite tv company that has an abysmal and shady history and ZERO experience in running quality online games.

    We had no say in it! And we have no choice! We either move to ProsiebenSat1 or take the highway!

    SOE as far as I (and lots of Europeans) goes no longer exists!

  • erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

    Just for discussion, what  do you all think would happen to TOR's future if SOE bought the rights from EAware?   At the current status of the game, I couldnt see how it could be much worse.   Maybe they could even do a "Reverse NGE".  

     

    Also, wasnt there a rumour that SWG might come back?

    First off SWG is not coming back LA canceled the rights to that.  So SOE could never make that game again.

    Now yes I would love for soe to talk to LA and get the rights from them to take over swtor.  EA has botched the game, populations are leaving in droves and belive it or not communication is worse with ea than it ever was with SOE,  and we know how bad SOE is at communicating.

    After all look how long even after the nge happened they kept the servers up, the only reason why swg was canned was LA did not want 2 mmo's playing for the same player-base.

    Oh well it is to bad that swtor blew it, I already canceled I bought a 6 month sub thinking they would make the game better. Patch 1.2 destroyed the game, and from what I understand 1.3 has even more nerfs in it for tanks, and healers.  All the hpe of look what were adding in the next year does nothing to fix the underlying problems of a broken game.

    OK off to find some caffeine.

     

  • superniceguysuperniceguy AnchorheadPosts: 2,278Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

    Just for discussion, what  do you all think would happen to TOR's future if SOE bought the rights from EAware?   At the current status of the game, I couldnt see how it could be much worse.   Maybe they could even do a "Reverse NGE".  

     

    Also, wasnt there a rumour that SWG might come back?

    There has not been any talk of SWG coming back, but there have been LOADS of posts/threads of people wanting it to come back.

    SOE are good at MMOs (compared to Bioware, and they did keep the NGE going all by themselves for 6 years after LA stuck their noses in and trashed it), Bioware are good at single player games. If SOE could expand SWTOR into a MMO then it would be a good thing, but if they can not then it will get far worse.

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon

    Incompetence is better than a greedy company any day of the week.  If SOE took over, they'd raise sub to $30 (or whatever that station pass bs is now days), add in an over priced cash shop, and make a useless trading card game for it...Then in 6 months after all the initial hype is over, close down the servers or relaunch as a totally different star wars game to get more money from that hype...at least that's what SOE has done in the past...and that's me being nice lol

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,645Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

    Just for discussion, what  do you all think would happen to TOR's future if SOE bought the rights from EAware?   At the current status of the game, I couldnt see how it could be much worse.   Maybe they could even do a "Reverse NGE".  

     

    You know your game is fucked when someone even suggests the possibility as being a helpful thing.

  • ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by JeroKane

     

    Smokejumper has litterly ruined the entire game ever since he took the position!

    He is by far the worse producer EQ2 has ever had!

    It's just disgusting and really sad as to what he has done to this wonderful game!

    How he could ever authorize to let the level 1-80 reitemization go live, while EVERYONE in Test Server said NO! Do not do it!  ....is totally beyond me.

    He managed to totally wreck the entire level 1 - 80 experience (5+ years of great content and history) with one single script! And then even worse, just leave it as is and move on, without bothering fixing it!

    He is also the one that thought it was a great idea to remove old content from the game! Content many (me and my gf included) were still enjoying a great deal with our ALT's! Tons of players plea'd to Smokejumper to leave the old starter areas and quests in the game, but no! he knew better and did remove it anyway! Unfriggin' believable!!

     

    And when it comes to SOE! I have not a single shred of respect for that company anymore as to what they are now doing to the entire European playerbase, by selling us out to a totally craptastic amateuristic German satalite tv company that has an abysmal and shady history and ZERO experience in running quality online games.

    We had no say in it! And we have no choice! We either move to ProsiebenSat1 or take the highway!

    SOE as far as I (and lots of Europeans) goes no longer exists!

    Wow. What was the point of changing the starter areas? Why not use that dev time for more content at endgame or even alternate content for the levelers? Sounds like SOE didn't learn the lesson that should have been learned from SWG: Don't piss off the people who enjoy you game by changing it in some desperate hopes that it will bring in people who never liked your game to begin with.

    Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

  • RocketeerRocketeer NachrodtPosts: 1,304Member
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

    Just for discussion, what  do you all think would happen to TOR's future if SOE bought the rights from EAware?   At the current status of the game, I couldnt see how it could be much worse.   Maybe they could even do a "Reverse NGE".  

     

    You know your game is fucked when someone even suggests the possibility as being a helpful thing.

    Lol, ain't that the truth.

  • KeyloggerKeylogger Bumblefuck, TNPosts: 250Member
    Originally posted by NasherUK

    Very bad. Every MMO SOE has been involved with has flopped because they either screw with it after launch, or launch it in a broken state and everyone quits over-night...

    I'm hoping they learned something for Planetside 2 :/

     

    EQ2 is actually pretty fantastic - and if people would give it a chance (as well as a new engine) it would out pace WoW in six months, but pretty much everyone hates $0E - not to mention how bad the game was for years after it's release.

    (I don't say this lightly, certainly I have no love or loyalty for $0E)

     

    They have the talent and resources to pull some big ass shiny rabbits from their hats, it's just the management that are apparently assholes.

     

    TLDR:

     

    Given proper motivation $0E has the ability to turn Minesweeper into a hit.

     

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,221Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Originally posted by Paddyspub

    Just for discussion, what  do you all think would happen to TOR's future if SOE bought the rights from EAware?   At the current status of the game, I couldnt see how it could be much worse.   Maybe they could even do a "Reverse NGE".   

    You know your game is fucked when someone even suggests the possibility as being a helpful thing.

     

    This made me smirk.  It's pretty much true too.  Too bad there's not a like post button on these forums.

     

    Originally posted by Cinatrot

    EQ2 is actually pretty fantastic - and if people would give it a chance (as well as a new engine) it would out pace WoW in six months, but pretty much everyone hates $0E - not to mention how bad the game was for years after it's release.

    (I don't say this lightly, certainly I have no love or loyalty for $0E)

    They have the talent and resources to pull some big ass shiny rabbits from their hats, it's just the management that are apparently assholes.

    TLDR:

    Given proper motivation $0E has the ability to turn Minesweeper into a hit.

    EQ2 is okay.  I still play it, but fantastic?  I don't think so.  Good, yes.  Fantastic, no.

    It's a mixed bag. They done some good things like moving to F2P, upgrading the engine, adding the Beastmaster, and adding some a few interesting housing instances.

    They've also done some really boneheaded things like:  screwing up their F2P model by going for the gouge, not upgrading their engine the right way and screwing up SM3, waiting too many years to add the Beastmaster, screwing up their dungeon builder and the dungeon/grouping tool,  and adding idiotic features like facial recognition instead of adding/improving their game play.  On top of that, Kunark (which was a remarkable addition) was their last decent update.

    So for everything they've added that was good they didn't really do it right and they screwed up a bunch of other stuff about the game.  They've lost some of their key talent like Domino and are just squeezing the players for what they can until EQNext.

  • BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member

    At this point I don't see TOR in any better in SOEs hands than EAs.

    I have repect for SOEs dev team but they are only as good as Smedley lets them be and thats not very good IMO.

    I wont return to any SOE game new or old until Smedley is out of there and SOE starts giving the paying customers respect.

    image

  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member

    It would be good. Especially if they used Koster's rules for MMO world design.

     

    http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/lawsindex.shtml 

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • kostoslavkostoslav somborPosts: 459Member
    They always manage to screw their games, but their MMOs are the most inovative imo
  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Originally posted by Ardwulf

    Quite true. Some folks lack perspective.

     Speaking of perspective...how about a list that also includes the BAD SOE games.

    EQ: Was a hit.

    EQ2: was a DISASTER thanks to the person Sony put in charge of it, Raph Koster. It wasnt until he was yanked due to player outrage over their not listening to what players where saying the game needed badly that it started to turn around. The increase in the playerbase came long after and it was forced on Sony to save the game.

    Pirates of the Burning Sea: Does anyone actually need to say anything about Sony when it comes to this game?

    Planetside: Same as above.

    The Matrix Online: Same as above.

    Vanguard: This game was a complete failure and you can spin all you like, nothing will change the fact that this game bombed and the only reason it stuck around more than 2 years was the creation of the Sony Station Access offer and it didnt increase population...they still had to merge down to 3 servers and a lot of people blammed Sony for it because it came with RMT.

    The Agency: Does anyone even know about this game? thats how bad it was.

    DC Universe Online: Right....make sure you leave off as many fails from your SOE list as possible guys...

    SWG: We all know Sony made this average/good game a train wreck.

    “I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

  • Moaky07Moaky07 Flushing, MIPosts: 2,096Member
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Ardwulf

    Quite true. Some folks lack perspective.

     Speaking of perspective...how about a list that also includes the BAD SOE games.

    EQ: Was a hit.

    EQ2: was a DISASTER thanks to the person Sony put in charge of it, Raph Koster. It wasnt until he was yanked due to player outrage over their not listening to what players where saying the game needed badly that it started to turn around. The increase in the playerbase came long after and it was forced on Sony to save the game.

    Pirates of the Burning Sea: Does anyone actually need to say anything about Sony when it comes to this game?

    Planetside: Same as above.

    The Matrix Online: Same as above.

    Vanguard: This game was a complete failure and you can spin all you like, nothing will change the fact that this game bombed and the only reason it stuck around more than 2 years was the creation of the Sony Station Access offer and it didnt increase population...they still had to merge down to 3 servers and a lot of people blammed Sony for it because it came with RMT.

    The Agency: Does anyone even know about this game? thats how bad it was.

    DC Universe Online: Right....make sure you leave off as many fails from your SOE list as possible guys...

    SWG: We all know Sony made this average/good game a train wreck.

    PoTBS wasnt made by Sony. They published it.

    The Matrix was a game SOE eventually took over, but they didnt make it.

    Vanguard was mismanaged into the ground by Brad. Microsoft cut funding, and SOE stepped in to help get it out the door.

    SWG wasnt an average/good game....it was a major cluster fuck buggy game, with not much to do. You can blame SOE, but more specifically you can blame Kostor as he was in charge.

    Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

2
Sign In or Register to comment.