Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What pisses me off about The Elder Scrolls Online..

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Every time I've played an Elder Scrolls game I've always said "I wish this was what MMOs were" and I always thought I'd love to even see coop Elder Scrolls just to experience it with friends. So The Elder Scrolls Online comes along and what does it do? Basically copies the same basic format of what MMOs are like today and why I hate them. They had a real big chance to innovate and instead they've gone for the tradition MMO route. I also feel like every MMO keeps saying how the combat is so different and yet it always ends up feeling the same, but worse and still not as good as what WoW done in 2004.

The only MMOs I can possibly get excited for now are Planetside 2 because it is different and Everquest 3 because it's using the same engine and as Planetside 2 is seamless, I'd love to see a seamless MMORPG finally.

I so hope The Elder Scrolls Online gets binned, even Todd Howard said last year that he doesn't want an Elder Scrolls MMO as that isn't what it is to him... so I have no idea what is going on at Bethesda.

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by tixylix

Every time I've played an Elder Scrolls game I've always said "I wish this was what MMOs were" and I always thought I'd love to even see coop Elder Scrolls just to experience it with friends. So The Elder Scrolls Online comes along and what does it do? Basically copies the same basic format of what MMOs are like today and why I hate them. They had a real big chance to innovate and instead they've gone for the tradition MMO route. I also feel like every MMO keeps saying how the combat is so different and yet it always ends up feeling the same, but worse and still not as good as what WoW done in 2004.

The only MMOs I can possibly get excited for now are Planetside 2 because it is different and Everquest 3 because it's using the same engine and as Planetside 2 is seamless, I'd love to see a seamless MMORPG finally.

I so hope The Elder Scrolls Online gets binned, even Todd Howard said last year that he doesn't want an Elder Scrolls MMO as that isn't what it is to him... so I have no idea what is going on at Bethesda.

Yeah cause Skyrim/Oblivion were about house placement, and making a life as Owen. image

The fact is those games were focused on dev created PVE content. It would of been nice for them to have the FPS type combat, but nothing to lose sleep over IMO. They are going to have 3 faction PVP to boot. When you say it wont have a seem less world, are you talk about the Hero engine, cause it has been stated it is not being used. Even if it isnt, EQ was zoned, and I will take hand crafted areas like that over endless parking lots ala SWG everyday of the week.

It is really old listening to you guys bitch cause games are being made that you dont like. I dont like CoD, but I sure as Hell dont spend my time complaining about all the effort studios are putting into the FPS genre. Those games sell, so naturally companies are going to keep kicking them out with their 10 hr SP campaign.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Yeah cause Skyrim/Oblivion were about house placement, and making a life as Owen. image

The fact is those games were focused on dev created PVE content. It would of been nice for them to have the FPS type combat, but nothing to lose sleep over IMO. They are going to have 3 faction PVP to boot. When you say it wont have a seem less world, are you talk about the Hero engine, cause it has been stated it is not being used. Even if it isnt, EQ was zoned, and I will take hand crafted areas like that over endless parking lots ala SWG everyday of the week.

It is really old listening to you guys bitch cause games are being made that you dont like. I dont like CoD, but I sure as Hell dont spend my time complaining about all the effort studios are putting into the FPS genre. Those games sell, so naturally companies are going to keep kicking them out with their 10 hr SP campaign.

this is why, when I see people make this kind of complaint like in the OP, I can tell from the start that these people are clueless of what they really like.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Why do I get the feeling that one of these days someone will make an MMO called "Uncle Owen Online" and it's going to be a smash hit? 

Hey, it's even got the acronym for it: UOO - doesn't that sound like the natural heir to UO? :)

Originally posted by solarine

Why do I get the feeling that one of these days someone will make an MMO called "Uncle Owen Online" and it's going to be a smash hit? 

Hey, it's even got the acronym for it: UOO - doesn't that sound like the natural heir to UO? :)

That game would pay hell getting folks away from Farmville.

After watching Lego and The Sims crash n burn online, I just dont think many folks are lining up to fork over 15 per month. Now if you had burnt n crispy gameplay, I might would have to check it out for a month. image

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

yep its just wow reskinned as elder scrolls game.

three factions is horribale especially since in an interview that in housing and architecture are only going ot be designed for the three factions, no distinction between the different races homelands.

and the 3 factions them selves is a dumb idea. Elderscrolls was always about tons of factions and you it was up to you to decide if you want to help or hinder them it was about making your own destiny.

No classes once again elder scrolls was about forging your own class.

and lets not forget it also wasnt about cartoony graphics.

the only thing there saying so far thats anything like skyrim is no quest hubs and huge area to explore. 1 thing thats it. What was bethesda thinking. guess there just as greedy as everyone else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWrpSzogOo&feature=related

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Actually Skyrim and Oblivion DID have house placement that most players made a point to get them all...and you could name your character Owen.

The fact is, this game is focused on Dev created old used up worn out MMO content. It would of been nice for them to have something original or remotely close to what made TES popular, so, something to get pissed off about if you are a fan of the series. They are going to do "enter same old pvp here" to boot. When you say it will have a seemless world, are you talking about like Skyrim/Oblivion? Cause it has been stated it will not be. Even if it is, Its going to have basic lame ass MMORPG style gameplay.

It is really old listening to you guys bitch because people are saying they dont want tired old lame ass content that has been done to death and want some god damn original gameplay. I know I sure as hell dont want to spend my dollars on shit I have been playing for the last 10 years and naturally companies will keep kicking them out as long as whiney little bitches defend lame ass crap games like this like blind sheep following those in front of them off a cliff.

And the best part of it all, odds are you complain AFTER a game is released about how same ol it is and that you are sick of how stale the genre has become.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by punkrock
    Same old pvp style? wtf! for onething DAOC is the only 3 faction pvp game lol so its not the same old.[mod edit]

I think what he means by "same old style" is that TESOs 3 way PvP is really no different than 2 way, or 4 or 5 or 6 way PvP.

You are forced to fight for 1 side or the other or the other in a fixed PvP zone. You dont have a choice to be Neutral (no side). You cant make your own Faction. You cant PvP against who you want, where you want.

3 way PvP in TESO is not different than 2 way PvP in SWTOR or WOW or RIFT or WAR.......same old style. They just added another side.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by punkrock
    Same old pvp style? wtf! for onething DAOC is the only 3 faction pvp game lol so its not the same old. 
    [mod edit]

Only it's not. Guild wars 2, Planetside, EQ 1 had race wars server, then you had Shadowbane, UO, Guildwars, Age of Conan etc all with guilds instead of factions. Only none of that matters because having 3 race locked factions is in what way the Elder Scrolls? oh yea it isn't.

I mean when the Elder Scrolls Online resembles WoW or SWTOR (with 3 faction pvp omg!) more than Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind there's a problem. There's nothing wrong with a game having race locked 3 faction pvp or raiding for purples but it sure as hell isn't Elder Scrolls.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Totally agree. I thought they would have the balls to make something different, something great.  Nope... 

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

The most difficult thing for developers to work with is balance. 3 way pvp is an attempt to avoid one sided advantages that we saw a la SWTOR.

I would like to see 9 or 10 factions and our loyalty to each determined through our choices while questing. As an example; If I kill the dark elf at the end of a quest chain, my friend or foe level changes accordingly.

Potentially players could be neutral or against one other race or faction only.

Issues arise here because many people do not want to be forced into pvp and vice versa. The ability to flag oneself for pvp is an okay feature, however the groan from the pvp community over this mechanic can be heard already.

The IP we are discussing here is too big of a name to try and push into the niche folder of some gaming concepts. The developers and investers will want to appeal to as many people as possible.

The anger over this title is based on a paradox. We want it all and the developers want all of us to play.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by chefdiablo

The most difficult thing for developers to work with is balance. 3 way pvp is an attempt to avoid one sided advantages that we saw a la SWTOR.

I would like to see 9 or 10 factions and our loyalty to each determined through our choices while questing. As an example; If I kill the dark elf at the end of a quest chain, my friend or foe level changes accordingly.

Issues arise here because many people do not want to be forced into pvp and vice versa. The ability to flag oneself for pvp is an okay feature, however the groan from the pvp community over this mechanic can be heard already.

The IP we are discussing here is too big of a name to try and push into the niche folder of some gaming concepts. The developers and investers will want to appeal to as many people as possible.

The anger over this title is based on a paradox. We want it all and the developers want all of us to play.

Well if balance and avoiding a one sided advantage is what TESO is trying to do with 3 way PvP they have already failed.

Since Matt Firor (of DAOC Fame!) was THE PvP Dev for DAOC he should know (or remember) how DAOC was very unbalanced and often one sided. On quite a few servers Albion outnumbered Midgard and Hibernia both.

I keep hearing people say "DAOCs RvRvR was so awesome!"

Well, if it was so awesome, then 1) why didnt other games copy it and 2) why arent they still playing DAOC ?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Well if balance and avoiding a one sided advantage is what TESO is trying to do with 3 way PvP they have already failed.

Since Matt Firor (of DAOC Fame!) was THE PvP Dev for DAOC he should know (or remember) how DAOC was very unbalanced and often one sided. On quite a few servers Albion outnumbered Midgard and Hibernia both.

I keep hearing people say "DAOCs RvRvR was so awesome!"

Well, if it was so awesome, then 1) why didnt other games copy it and 2) why arent they still playing DAOC ?

I agree with that statement. My past experience in another game that has had multi-faction pvp, there are always factions that appeal to more people and they end up with a larger population.

I think the only way to balance faction based pvp is to have zones that allow only equal numbers of players in at the same time. This naturally is horrible outside of short war zone based content and I for one do not like such systems.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

After reading this I had to double check at GAME to see if I had missed the game going on sale already, the OP sounds as if they have been playing it and found it not to thier liking.

ESO to me sounds rather interesting, the trailer was just too much of a teaser to actually show anything of worth, but thats marketing for you, leave the masses clamouring for info =).

I've read what little there is about ESO, without filling in the blanks or making any outlandish assumptions I think I may just like this one.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

SNIP

Did you ever even play DAoC?

That game had MASSIVE PvP imbalances for YEARS...just ask anyone playing in the...fairy...realm just how under powered they were, they were the bastard realm...the idiot devs even went and tried to balance the other 2 factions before doing a damn thing for the 3rd.

The only way to make all 3 factions balanced would be to do just what SWTOR did...make each faction a mirror of the other completely negating the need to even have more than 2 factions. and who the hell thinks mirrored classes is a good thing?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Yeah but Moaky, not everyone plays those games and follows the dev developed pve quests.

there are people who really just spend their time wandering around collecting things. or my roommate who pretty much avoided all the guild and main quests in both oblvion and morrowind. Only did the side quests and main quest in Skyrim.

That's the nice thing about these games. If you have the imaginatin and inclination you can make the fun you want provided what is available is considered fun for you. I do agree with your last paraghraph though.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I would like an Elder Scrolls MMO that made the combat more fun, the combat in all 3 titles I played (morrowing, Oblivian and Skyrim) sucked.  The constant cliicking of the mouse key is way to tedious and you have to be really adhd to play the combat.  It also does not allow the use of cool new skills and abilities. Its like hey lookie here I can sidestep click my mouse to get a sweep on my 2h or I can double click my W key to sprint and hit my opponent.  It just WAY more enjoyable to have a hotbar and a progression system to aquire more and interesting spells and abilities. 

TES games also have this added annoyance of being First Person.  This FPS style ruins emmersion, does not allow the use of the player to watch his cool look avatar on screen.  Thank god Skyrim came along and actually improved 3rd person combat somewhat.  Seeing as Skyrim was the only one in the series that I played for more then a month before I got bored and that was mainly because I was allowed to play it mostly in 3rd person because it was more MMO like.  Speaking of MMO's and 3rd person, EVERY single good MMO since EQ has been in 3rd person for a reason.

I would also like an Elder Scrolls MMO that had better crafting and more realistic crafting.  Drinking a potion, equipping my +12 gauntlets of Blacksmithing, drinking another potion and so on to get the higest level of Blacksmithing is stupid and silly.

I would also love a MMO that didnt have TES stealth, sure its realistic but its not fun.

So many things that a TES or Skyrim MMO do that doesnt work in an MMO and for good reason, simply porting Skyrim over into a MMO is nto even remotely feaseable.  You have to make consessions everytime you turn around for things like speech, NPC killing, questing, etc.  Every time you turn around your beloved TES MMO would look more and more like TESO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yeah but Moaky, not everyone plays those games and follows the dev developed pve quests.

there are people who really just spend their time wandering around collecting things. or my roommate who pretty much avoided all the guild and main quests in both oblvion and morrowind. Only did the side quests and main quest in Skyrim.

That's the nice thing about these games. If you have the imaginatin and inclination you can make the fun you want provided what is available is considered fun for you. I do agree with your last paraghraph though.

Yet at some point they will probably play thru it. I would imagine the ratio of TES fans that never complete the game is rather small. Consoles sold as many or more than PC, and those tools are not available with console.

I understand about making a game of sidestuff....in Risen I was keen on finding every treasure chest I could. That is why I enjoy SP sandboxes....they remind me of games like EQ. Plenty of PVE, with various side stuff to do.

Yet I still wont go above the 150 hr mark or so for SP games normally. That is enough for one game, as they arent something I take breaks from generally. I still need about 8 acheivements for Fallout Vegas, and I have no motivation to go back.

If ya like sp sandbox type games, try this one out.....Mafia 2. It is a bit themeparkish in that you go thru chapters in the story, but unlike GTA4, the steering is actually a good thing. If ya get the platinum hits pack, with all the dlc, you are talking mega playing hrs. Lots of open world play.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I never did the civil war quest in Skyrim, because i thought all sides were wrong.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by pmaura

yep its just wow reskinned as elder scrolls game.

three factions is horribale especially since in an interview that in housing and architecture are only going ot be designed for the three factions, no distinction between the different races homelands.

and the 3 factions them selves is a dumb idea. Elderscrolls was always about tons of factions and you it was up to you to decide if you want to help or hinder them it was about making your own destiny.

No classes once again elder scrolls was about forging your own class.

and lets not forget it also wasnt about cartoony graphics.

the only thing there saying so far thats anything like skyrim is no quest hubs and huge area to explore. 1 thing thats it. What was bethesda thinking. guess there just as greedy as everyone else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWrpSzogOo&feature=related

Correction, Bethesda was not developing this turd of a game masquerading as an "Elder Scrolls" title.  Zenimax got some other guys to do this.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

This game = timebomb. Who knows what's inside? Maybe lots of confetti and goodies. I kind of doubt it though.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.