Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New expansion (RoR) not to include instances or raids in expansion

leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I've never heard of an MMO releasing an expansion which did not include endgame content.  It's been a bit unclear up to now, but an instance cluster will be released at a later not, but here's the kicker, not for free.  Those that payed $40-70 for the expansion will have to pay again for instances.

For those that don't know, their previous expansion, Rise of Isengard, was also released without an instance cluster, but, it was released a few months after and free for those that purchased.

I know this is a f2p game now, but, when paying $40 (minimum) for an expansion, shouldn't we expect some instances to be released with it?

There's a discussion here on the official forums.  Apparently, the above wasn't made clear and many people bought the expansion thinking there would be instances included.  Furthermore, 1 of the Turbine FAQ said that instances would be included, but has since been corrected....

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462820-RoR-pre-order-FAQ-ommision-Please-explain

Comments

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39

instances and raid will be realese after expack realese , and they dont have to pay them , like in Rise of Isengard , we didnt pay for the update 5 instances and raid cuz wwe had paid for the expack

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by leojreimroc

I've never heard of an MMO releasing an expansion which did not include endgame content.  It's been a bit unclear up to now, but an instance cluster will be released at a later not, but here's the kicker, not for free.  Those that payed $40-70 for the expansion will have to pay again for instances.

For those that don't know, their previous expansion, Rise of Isengard, was also released without an instance cluster, but, it was released a few months after and free for those that purchased.

I know this is a f2p game now, but, when paying $40 (minimum) for an expansion, shouldn't we expect some instances to be released with it?

There's a discussion here on the official forums.  Apparently, the above wasn't made clear and many people bought the expansion thinking there would be instances included.  Furthermore, 1 of the Turbine FAQ said that instances would be included, but has since been corrected....

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462820-RoR-pre-order-FAQ-ommision-Please-explain

Unfortunately this has become business as usual for Turbine, I do not understand why a company doesn't make sure their expansions are feature complete before releasing them.

Its been less than a year since Isengard, so taken another month or 2 wouldn't hurt.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Typosos

instances and raid will be realese after expack realese , and they dont have to pay them , like in Rise of Isengard , we didnt pay for the update 5 instances and raid cuz wwe had paid for the expack

You should check the official forums again. They removed it from the pre-order FAQ!

You now have to pay seperately for the Insance cluster on top of your expansion purchase.

It isn't even sertain that VIP players will get it for free, as they came with a vague statement that pricing has not yet been set.

In other words....VIP players are gonna pay too now!

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

This is not accurate.  The instance cluster is NOT included with the expansion purchase.  Here is the dev quote:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462820-RoR-pre-order-FAQ-ommision-Please-explain&p=6219804#post6219804

Originally posted by Velera

Unfortunately this has become business as usual for Turbine, I do not understand why a company doesn't make sure their expansions are feature complete before releasing them.

Its been less than a year since Isengard, so taken another month or 2 wouldn't hurt.

I think it's more of a money issue.  They'll be able to squeeze more money out of players by making them pay full price for an expansion with no instance, then make them pay again for instances.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

with preordering RoI we did receive instances when they came out in december, this is not the case with RoR? We will not get the instances? Is this true?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by kostoslav

with preordering RoI we did receive instances when they came out in december, this is not the case with RoR? We will not get the instances? Is this true?

According to Turbine (and the links above) you will NOT receive access to the instances for purchasing RoR. You will have to pay for them separately.

Glad I wiped my hands clean of Turbine quite some time ago. Such a shame.

As the poster above me stated, you will not receive the instance cluster with the cash purchase of the expansion.  Check out the link above.

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

According to Turbine (and the links above) you will NOT receive access to the instances for purchasing RoR. You will have to pay for them separately.

if you read what GM say , you will see that he say , we are talking about it ...they didnt say u will not receave anything

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

thank you.

Ppl flame Blizzard here on the forums, but Turbine is a far worse company. This is something even EA would not do. This is insane: 40 to 70$ for a quest pack. Realy? I am so dissapointed...Wtf are they thinking...

if you read what GM say , you will see that he say , we are talking about it ...they didnt say u will not receave anything

Apparently you haven't read the post carefully,  Here it is:

"There are no plans to release an instance cluster simultaneously with the expansion. However, an instance cluster is planned for release in a following update."

We will be releasing an instance cluster after the update comes out. However, we have not discussed the pricing of the cluster at this time. The mention of the cluster being free to players who have purchased Rohan was incorrect, and that's what we have removed. There is no instance cluster coming out simultaneously with the expansion.

We will be discussing the pricing of the instance cluster at a later time. "

The portion that's underlined is as clear as daylight.  I'm not sure how you can read it otherwise.  Either it is not included, or that dev is one of the most unclear speakers that I have read in a while.

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

lol im glad i stopped playing this game. They somehow managed to make it more expensive after F2P than it was before.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

thank you.

Ppl flame Blizzard here on the forums, but Turbine is a far worse company. This is something even EA would not do. This is insane: 40 to 70$ for a quest pack. Realy? I am so dissapointed...Wtf are they thinking...

You sure about EA? Didn't see their press conference at E3? Pretty much "DLC Milk your money" about a couple dozen times to nickle and dime every cent out. 

Anyways, this does sound like turbine starting to get greedy. Its not good for the game... but I'm sure they will notice when they suddenly find players in decline because of their greedy practices.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think now we are seeing first hand of what is planned..to rip off anyone that likes the game..i will not pay for rohan,screw that.no dungeons and then having to pay for them later,they can go fuck themselves.5 yrs been playing this game..no morre money off me ever again turbine..and that includes any future games.

• Not_KhaerosNot_Khaeros Member Posts: 31

This is just the next step for Turbine, considering what they are trying with DDO.  Of course, they know that LotRO has more players and can therefore up the prices considerably - plus it's more costly of a game to run.

For those of you who play LotRO but not DDO, take your current gain of TP through gameplay and cut it to 1/10, and you have DDO's rate of earning passive TP.  Because LotRO is easier to earn TP in, you're going to start to see these things as they notice that free players are getting way too much.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

This sounds more like a WB influence.  If this is correct the best thing to do is to boycott this expansion.   WB will be forced to change their greedy pricing stratagey.

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51

im glad i quit this game a couple of months back.  99% of the people that play are terrible at gaming in general.  Draigoch is still buggy one year later.  the isengard raid is broken and full of exploits.  and when they tried to be like blizz and add an instance finder it was broken as well.  ppl paying 2x as much for subpar dev work.  pointless pay2win pvp.  and now they're going to add mounted combat when they cant even get a dragon raid with 3 mechancs fixed...... right

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am glad I stopped playing lotro back when it when free to play.  The cash store being all over the place. I knew at that time Turbine had become greedy, now turbine stepped to an all new low.  I have to wonder why folks are still so blind, but I guess they play it due to it being lord of the rings.

Oh well nothing surprises me any more about turbine, well Warner brothers.  The love your wallet and that's all they love.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I am glad I stopped playing lotro back when it when free to play.  The cash store being all over the place. I knew at that time Turbine had become greedy, now turbine stepped to an all new low.  I have to wonder why folks are still so blind, but I guess they play it due to it being lord of the rings.

Oh well nothing surprises me any more about turbine, well Warner brothers.  The love your wallet and that's all they love.

I imagine they sill play it hoping that Turbine go back to their roots. SoA was the best version of the game, fun instances, challenging raids, awsome world to explore, fun quests and a great main storyline. I hold it up there, with Vanilla WoW, as one of the best themepark MMOs. It's sad to think of what the game, and company, has become.

I loved soa, it was great content. I loved forchell even though it was lore breaking at the best. Mines of Moria chased of so many folks I knew it was not funny. Then we got SOM Shadows of Mirkwood, that killed our guild totaly. Then all the skirmish stuff showed up, and that was when I got sick of it all it is really to bad that they lost their way.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This thread makes me laugh.  There are better games to play for less money.  Hell, even SoE offers a better deal with EQ2 and that cluster of a F2P model.  Turbine is incompetent and deceptive, stop playing their game.

Actually, the deal is just different. Turbine offers you most of the races and classes, SOE offers you most of the content. I guess SOE's deal is better unless both the race and class you want to play is locked for purchase. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

So far, every MMO that started with a alifetime option has run into major problems.  In most cases they probably knew the product wasn't ready for release and wanted a quick cash grab to recoup their development costs.  In the case of LOTRO, the game was ready for release, if you ignore the fact that they really only had/have one faction. 

I think for LOTRO, the lifetime subs created issues by the time MoM was waning.  Their biggest supporters had already paid lifetime subs and only bought expansions.  The cash they got from them was long gone and they weren't bringing a lot in from the no lifers.

They really didn't think out their F2P model very well.  With ROI they basically made in pointless to subscribe monthly as they stopped with the regular updates that are free to subscribers.  The pricing of RoR is a complete cash grab that makes turbine look like greedy bastards trying to milk their remaining players.

It's so messed up that Turbine couldn't figure out how to make LOTRO successful past a year or so.  The product as released really wasn't well thought out and now they are pushing out embarrasing "expansions" for the more important areas from the novels.  More thought and love went into Angmar and Forochel than went into Rohan.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Perhaps the free to play model just isn't cutting it.  Considering all of the outlandish methods companies are coming up with to nickel and dime you, we'll all probably learn to regret the decline of the subscription model.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Well, IMHO, Turbine is carefully monitoring the forums and given the level of outrage to their decision of not including the instance cluster, they might reconsider it in the future including the instances in the RoR package. 

TBH, I don't care, as with RoI, I will fully buy the expansion with Turbine Points. If you know how to earn them in game and do not waste them in cosmetics and horses, it is entirely possible to get the expac for "free" (I still pay monthly of course, but at least I won't pay the expac). It is a win-win for me

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Wow, shady Turbine.

I had an issue with DDO (Turbine) when they introduced the Artificier class and then wanted me to buy Turbine points (as a VIP) to buy the class because they didn't have the quests needed to grind the class.

That was the end of me paying Turbine.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Woah, I can't imagine they think they can pull this off without major kickback.  I just hope all of these companies going to the FTP business model don't head down this road.  This is the kind of stuff that everyone was afraid of when FTP was introduced to MMO's.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

For all the talk about how the cash shop is bad, this is really what is bad about it. Turbine was not always this way...with DDO and LOTRO, at first it was VERY reasonable. But, when the cash shop starts to sell, somebody eventually realizes they can basically print money.

Then, they go from trying to make the best game they can, to doing the least amount possible, but always maximizing the cash shop. No matter how good they were, they go from being game developers to cash shop developers.

RIP DDO and LOTRO...was fun but now I'm done.