Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait until we can get "Hands On" with TESO before judging it.

2»

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Fearum
    They are moslty restricted by the users computers as to how playable they can make these games. Most of the world is poor right now and nobody wants to drop $1200 - $1500 to buy a new updated computer to run a game that will be out dated in a year maybe slightly more.

Playability is not depending on hardware these days.
    Some of the most deep and complex games came out in the late 90s and run on 486er or Pentium CPUs with Systems having 4 to 8 Megabyte RAM, Harddisk with a few hundred MB and Videocards with 1, 2 or 4 MB VRAM.

Graphic makes a game look good but not playable.
    Game-Mechanics, Game-Systems, Game-Algorythms i.e. for Crafting, for the AI make a playable game and that has almost not improved or has degraded in many modern games.

Imagine that in old games, old MMOGs we had almost unlimited room (or at least for many thousands of items) in our inventories/bankaccounts/crates/treasures/vaults and in some of the modern games you can store 40 items bcs the database is not able to handle more.

Another Example is Ryzom:
    "The various creatures in Ryzom have differing AI based upon their species that allows them to perform many realistic behaviors, such as migration and movement as a herd. Carnivores, for example, will attack specific other animals for food, and certain animals hunt in packs.
    The game also features changing seasons and weather. Weather effects include rain, snow, and wind. Tied to the season and weather changes are the movements of animals and availability of harvestable materials. For example, a certain type of sap may only be harvested during spring rains and be unattainable during other seasons or weather conditions. Weather conditions can change minute by minute. Each game season (spring, summer, fall, and winter) lasts four realtime days."
    +
    Compare this with the latest biggest MMO SWTOR!

Graphically allmost any quality year 2004/5 game has more than acceptable graphic.
    Its not the Hardware that limits - its the people planing and executing the development of modern MMOGs.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

What amazes me is how people change their mind and instantly polarize themself to the opposite extreme. Certainly my disposition towards the game has increased slightly since E3 (going from wanting to attack the developers on sight to watching them very warily), but I've noticed some of my friends, and forum goers become a blind fanboy over such little information that its astonishing. I wonder if MMO players are just so starved for a well-made game that they see salvation in any tidbit of non horrendous info?

Reference the massive woody people were getting from GW2, before it even went into beta.  That's not saying GW2 will suck.  It just states fact.  People are that starved for something different and for something to acutally have quality.  The mere hope that might happen causes the exuberance in gamers that is normally reserved for coitus with everyone else.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Whoah, I saw the subject of this thread and thought you were calling on people to wait until they could actually try the game before writing it off as a disaster, abomination, desecration of the Elder Scrolls name, worst MMO in history - like everyone has been doing since it was first announced.

I didn't realize that anyone had actually said something nice about TESO, sight unseen!

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Graphically allmost any quality year 2004/5 game has more than acceptable graphic.
    Its not the Hardware that limits - its the people planing and executing the development of modern MMOGs.

THIS.

When Blizzard made World of Warcraft, this justification made sense. 

You can use a DX9 card (2 generations behind the current) and an MMO will look more than passable.  You can have better detail with high res packs and the like, or better detail with DX11, but it can still look fine on a DX9 card.

TOR wasn't graphically an ugly game.  It was panned graphically because of how poorly optimized the engine was, how lifeless and stale the world was, and how they relied way too much on skinning things and re-using of instances.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

I don't always need to play something first hand to tell what I think of it. when you can read the feature list and once we get some videos it's pretty easy to make an informed opinion on if it's worth trying.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

Why wait till they get hands on? All the naysayers are experts on TESO already. They know absolutely everything about and have tons of experience with the actual game itself!

• BruwinBruwin Member UncommonPosts: 54

If this were an MMO with just about any other IP, I would be cautiously optimistic. I like themeparks as much as the next guy. So it usually wouldn't bother me much that there's another retread with maybe one or two new tidbits.

This IP though? I'm vehemently against it being the usual holy trinity themepark mmo. And I can't understand how someone can go all fanboy over it. If you love the IP, it seems to me that this treatment should make you at least a little uneasy, if not downright upset.

I've wanted a multiplayer elder scrolls game since I first played Daggerfall. I understand some people feel that multiplayer of any kind would diminish the story, but I always thought it'd be fun to adventure with my friends in this vast world that they created. Even if it never advanced the main storyline, there's plenty of sidequests and general nonsense that would be lots of fun to share with friends. The thing is though, I want to play with my friends with the interface that they've created for their single player games. It feels fairly immersive, especially in skyrim. So the thought of just making it Yet Another MMO causes me to lose all interest.

I will agree though that everyone should at least have some hands on with the game. Even me. But I seriously hope that all of the serious fanboys of this MMO also have some hands on with the ACTUAL elder scrolls games to know what it's really like.

Just like SWTOR, Tera, Conan, Aion, WAR, Vanguard, etc, this will not be the second coming of MMOs. It's just a bastardization of a good game series to cash in on the MMO phenomenom. It might even be a fun MMO, but I'll still never feel right calling it an Elder Scrolls game.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'll admit I haven't been looking too closely, but the comments that I've seen on this forum have been in the vast majority negative. I really haven't seen too many fanboys, but there are certainly a lot of haters, and I've definitely not read a single a comment stating this will be the best game to come out in 10 years.

To the OP I would say you're 100% correct on reserving judgement until hands on, and that applies to haters as well as fanboys. There's no reason to blindly hate on things you know literally nothing about, and there's no reason to blindly sing praises for the same reason. Too many assumptions are made in these forums.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I dont need to wait to judge it. I'm tired of the typical themepark MMO. GW2 I'm finding fun and I support the game but I will admit I dont know how long I will find it fun for. Ontop of that The Elder Scrolls GAMES would not work as an MMO. And if its not an TES game I dont want it. What I want is a multipler TES in the same way say D3 or GW1 is set up grouping wise.

So because of that I can honestly say I have zero interest in this MMO. However I will not call it a bad game. I had some pretty nasty things to say when it was first announced but after that I calmed down and realised its not the idea that its a thempark that upset me. Its the fact that its an MMO and that just doesnt work for me with a TES game.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

The only people excited about this game are the people who wont be playing it longer than 90 days. Its just another Online RPG on their list of games to play.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

At least until you can actually play it for yourself (ie: demo, sneak peak, beta). I'm seeing a lot of "I'm Sold!" threads from the latest info from E3. However, I've heard the EXACT same spin from companies who have been shown to go out of control with their words. 

Case and point, SWTOR. Comments such as "TESO looks like it'll end up being the best thing since the past 10years." are starting to scare me from this forum. 

I just can't express how "weird" and at the same time "utter dismay" to constantly see the same comments that I saw from SWTOR, RIFT, Diablo III (granted not an MMO), and TERA hitting the TESO forum now. It's like a bad cycle pulled directly from the BattleStar Galactica series :|.

Please, I beg of you oh community of ours, be more skeptical until you actually can play it for yourself and don't buy into only words & some hovery videos that don't actually show anything but the art-style.

-Faded

What? The majority of people on this site are some of the most bitter non-willing to give the benefit of the doubt, already made up their minds, if they don't like it no one else should group of people I have ever come across... 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by nilden

I don't always need to play something first hand to tell what I think of it. when you can read the feature list and once we get some videos it's pretty easy to make an informed opinion on if it's worth trying.

Pretty much this for me currently ^.

I've experienced so many alphas, betas, and retail launches to know the bad stench of a bad product before I even play it. However, many others don't seem to "get" that you don't have to actually play it to know how bad it is.

For me personally, I KNOW already how bad it will be based on the feature list & goals the TESO team has set out publicly, and how that information will carry over to a poor product. Just how I determined for myself that SWTOR was a pile of garbage with little to no replayability (something now being harped on 6months later). 

I was more speaking towards the people being overly positive about a product that they haven't even played yet. We have a HUGE list from the TESO devs themselves about what the game WILL and WILL NOT be, and that's enough info to know where it's headed. Sure, they've gone a good direction with 3-way factions, but being forced to choose a faction is kind of iffy unless you do it DAOC's way, but then that is a whole other kettle of popcorn to worry about.

:)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

To be honest, this game is getting rather positive- neutral feedback from MMO players.  Its just the ES fans that expected single player dynamics to be put into the MMO that are torching it, and again im not saying it couldnt be done but, oh well.  The more elder scrolls the better, now I have reasons to continue playing skyrim and such, along side this. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

To be honest, this game is getting rather positive- neutral feedback from MMO players.  Its just the ES fans that expected single player dynamics to be put into the MMO that are torching it, and again im not saying it couldnt be done but, oh well.  The more elder scrolls the better, now I have reasons to continue playing skyrim and such, along side this. 

On the other hand you have MMO players torching it because they mentioned moving from SWTOR to TESO being an "easy move" that caused us MMO players to torch the heck out of TESO.

The majority, as proven by SWTOR, have finally stood up and said they do not want another WoW anymore. Heck, it's been like that for the past 5years, but companies are finally feeling the burn.

Again, if people wanted WoW they'll play WoW. Developers need to take a page from console developers & realize diversity is the key to innovation.

All in all, unless TESO have an open-world experience with fantastic crafting and low to no instancing i don't see it doing well with its current ArtStyle being so similar to WoW.

My 4cents :P!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

At least until you can actually play it for yourself (ie: demo, sneak peak, beta). I'm seeing a lot of "I'm Sold!" threads from the latest info from E3. However, I've heard the EXACT same spin from companies who have been shown to go out of control with their words. 

Case and point, SWTOR. Comments such as "TESO looks like it'll end up being the best thing since the past 10years." are starting to scare me from this forum. 

I just can't express how "weird" and at the same time "utter dismay" to constantly see the same comments that I saw from SWTOR, RIFT, Diablo III (granted not an MMO), and TERA hitting the TESO forum now. It's like a bad cycle pulled directly from the BattleStar Galactica series :|.

Please, I beg of you oh community of ours, be more skeptical until you actually can play it for yourself and don't buy into only words & some hovery videos that don't actually show anything but the art-style.

-Faded

What? You are asking people not to get excited? Why? What's the point? Why do you care? These forums are filled with whine and hating that is based on practically just names of upcoming games with almost no facts whatsoever, and you are asking that people should not get excited? Shouldnt you ask people not to hate on games before trying them?

You are confusing excitement and blind fanboyism. In any case, I'd rather ask the community to not be so fucking negative about anything and everything rather than try to make these forums even more depressing.

Also did SWTOR or Rift say they would come with 3 factions? More action oriented combat? PvP like TESO is going to have? More freedom with character creation, okay Rift has this, SWTOR certainly not. And everything else that is going to be different.

SWTOR didnt promise anything different from basic WoW style MMO model other than VO/cut scenes, space mini game, and companions. TESO is having big core differences like 1 extra faction, open world PvP with a huge objective, public dungeons and other stuff, that you should check out before comparing to SWTOR which never really said that they'd have any core gameplay or structure differences.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

We already played the real Elder Scrolls games. Why do we need some company who wants to take the popular ip and change the way Elder Scrolls works ? Pure fail.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

-Faded

So companies are free to hype up their product and we have to sit back and not react to it????????

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by waynejr2

-Faded

So companies are free to hype up their product and we have to sit back and not react to it????????

Where does OP said we have to sit back and do nothing? L2R. Sheesh.

What OP meant was for you to question these developers about their product.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I can't think of one game where I thought "This will be crap." proved me wrong. I can think of plenty that I thought stood a chance, then bombed after a few months. So, until I'm proven wrong I will continue to do what I always do.

I understand you're saying the opposite, but I haven't seen very many people clamoring for one more WoW clone. I think we have plenty of those.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I wonder if MMO players are just so starved for a well-made game that they see salvation in any tidbit of non horrendous info?

Unfortunately, I think you nailed it.

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

Until I see some uncut, unmitigated combat footage with full interface, what they have said so far sounds like the same old heavily spun tab-targetting combat. I still remember when Funcom was trying to be hot stuff with AoC and it's 'action combat' when it just turned out to be repurposed WoW combat. Then I saw it happen again with TSW and yet again with GW2.

The only way any of that 'synergy' stuff is going to be interesting enough in a hotbar, tab targeting settings is if instead of pre-planned and designed effects they have a sophisticated physics engine behind it to produce emergent gameplay. EG effects they didn't know or think would happen until someone did it in-game.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

-Faded

I do my best to avoid making any judgements until I at least see the game and preferably play a demo. It is tough sometimes though, those marketing wizards have all the best gear and buffs. They keep pulling dirty tricks on us.