Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who wants to play a mmo with levels?

12345679»

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by cooper85

You can skip zones if you have the chops, Unlike a level game where you just wont be able to hit anything. There are no "hard content locks." 

You don't have to do the story, and just rome if you like plenty of non linear stuff out there

and you CAN do this in many level based games for example rift I could just PVP my way from level 10-30 then start questing at 30 and just skipped over a huge chunck of the pve content.. my point is just because it's possibly it's still a backass way doesn't mean it's how this game was designed. The developers made it for you to follow a story and the story starts in zone a and you progress's to B then To C and so on. Yes there are hard content locks on the later areas as well

also why would you even want to skip a zone when this game is so story focused i really see no point in doing that

Its like saying not getting the dragon-shouts in skyrim is "the wrong way" to play the game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by AdamTM

You can skip zones if you have the chops, Unlike a level game where you just wont be able to hit anything. There are no "hard content locks." 

You don't have to do the story, and just rome if you like plenty of non linear stuff out there

and you CAN do this in many level based games for example rift I could just PVP my way from level 10-30 then start questing at 30 and just skipped over a huge chunck of the pve content.. my point is just because it's possibly it's still a backass way doesn't mean it's how this game was designed. The developers made it for you to follow a story and the story starts in zone a and you progress's to B then To C and so on. Yes there are hard content locks on the later areas as well

also why would you even want to skip a zone when this game is so story focused i really see no point in doing that

Its like saying not getting the dragon-shouts in skyrim is "the wrong way" to play the game.

skyrim is a differn't animal because the main story plays a small role in the overall content of the game.. in a game like TSW the story is the focal point of the game which it really isn't in skyrim unless you make it that.. Also how the world of skyrim is setup allows much more freedom to do what you want.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

skyrim is a differn't animal because the main story plays a small role in the overall content of the game.. in a game like TSW the story is the focal point of the game which it really isn't in skyrim unless you make it that.. Also how the world of skyrim is setup allows much more freedom to do what you want.

Thats interesting, because i think the "story" in TSW is just a small part of TSW as well.

Not the narrative though, but thats something else.

TSW actually delivers a more coherent narrative than skyrim in that respect.

Thats interesting, because i think the "story" in TSW is just a small part of TSW as well.

when I say big part i mean it's what leads you from zone to zone to zone as game was designed for.. In skyrim I could not even go to whiterun for a good long time if I didn't want to. I could join the mages guild visit other towns ect.  TSW you really need to go to kingsmouth to get the game going and to really continue you continue onto the savage coast and so forth.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

when I say big part i mean it's what leads you from zone to zone to zone as game was designed for.. In skyrim I could not even go to whiterun for a good long time if I didn't want to. I could join the mages guild visit other towns ect.  TSW you really need to go to kingsmouth to get the game going and to really continue you continue onto the savage coast and so forth.

I think of TSW zones as mini-skyrims (content wise they are very varied)

And as far as i know i can go to savage coast without ever doing the main questline.

True, you can't fast-travel to SC or other locations though, but in Skyrim you can't either.

PS: we should not conflate terminology, if we are talking about regions, everything in a region is accessible (i.e. Solomon Island is comprised of Kingsmouth, Savage Coast, etc)

And as far as i know i can go to savage coast without ever doing the main questline.

True, you can't fast-travel to SC or other locations though, but in Skyrim you can't either.

you can but why would you? also the zones themselves are setup nice where you have no exact point you HAVE to go first and second ect but they are still contained zones as skyrim is one big open world.

you can but why would you? also the zones themselves are setup nice where you have no exact point you HAVE to go first and second ect but they are still contained zones as skyrim is one big open world.

Skyrim is one big contained zone.

Tomato tomahto

Tomato tomahto

still a fairly sizeable difference in how content is delivered via TSW then it is via Skyrim

Tomato tomahto

still a fairly sizeable difference in how content is delivered via TSW then it is via Skyrim

Please do elaborate.

Tomato tomahto

Please do elaborate.

considering we're getting way off topic this is a discussion for another thread i think

Tomato tomahto

Please do elaborate.

considering we're getting way off topic this is a discussion for another thread i think

Sure, do make one, i am curious.

Tomato tomahto

Please do elaborate.

Sure, do make one, i am curious.

perhaps tomorow when I'm not down 6 or 7 drinks heh

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

I keep hearing this, but I haven't did any of the story.  I've logged A LOT of hours too.  The story is 100% optional. I think the atmosphere is more of a focal point than the story. Well the story falls under the atmosphere.

btw - There are NO hard zone caps. 

The ability wheel is the heart and soul of TSW.  Millions of builds at you finger tips that you can unlease in 3 Faction pvp. 

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

This level thing can also be applied tothe fantasy books we read. The hero starts off as a commoner and goes through trials and tribulations until they defeat the big bad foe at the end. You could view the trials and tribulations as leveling.

If you look deep enough you can boil every mechanic down to its base and apply it to everything. Which for me takes the fun out of these games.

At some point you have to remove yourself from reality and just role play and have fun as these games were meant.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

This level thing can also be applied tothe fantasy books we read. The hero starts off as a commoner and goes through trials and tribulations until they defeat the big bad foe at the end. You could view the trials and tribulations as leveling.

If you look deep enough you can boil every mechanic down to its base and apply it to everything. Which for me takes the fun out of these games.

At some point you have to remove yourself from reality and just role play and have fun as these games were meant.

I guess some people are getting too sick of the old mmo formula, which I admire, because like many other genres, ours too need to move on and innovate