Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Keep Playing

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I do not need any of this reasons to play it. I enjoy every single day and minute I log in and play my alts since first day. Game is fun as hell, polished more then any before. Npc's and avatars are moving in incredibly natural fashion, not to mention awesome combat look. And sw feeling is also incredible. Ok, Im big fan of sw since first movie decades ago, but this only add to my happines playing it. Guess would enjoy anyway.

And to immagine that maybe month before release i was not touched by any advertising. Swtor was not on my radar list. Somehow I was sure game will not live up to hype. But then purchased day before, needed short break from Rift ... and was love at first sight. Still playing it. Sure, will return to Rift and Wow ... but as it looks I will enjoy swtor for months to come.

Not only all I mentione above, but besides Wow and Rift is only game I have played without any lag all maxed out on my not-so-bad computer. All completely fluid. And no matter population, at start servers were full and still all fluid in groups or solo.

Said all this, I do not care about pvp nor end game. As I follow there are major complains. And I hope they fix there, because it is obvious there is currently lack of pupulation on all servers. Gw2 release and later pandas will only add a lot to this. They have been opening new servers too fast at start. But they just wanted players not to wait, to be happy.

I'm only unsure why is such problem to have only one single server? Like CO have it. Never any problem with any migration or lack of population. Just heavily instanced but there this is not problem at all. At least not compared to have dead servers and free or not free migrations. Problem with migrations is that one usually loses name of avatars he might grown attached to.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

lol how much is mmorpg.com getting paid for writing this article?

The only acceptable reason out of the 5 is "it is star wars".

pvp? swtor is one of the worst mmo pvp experience

Free transfer? lol this count as a reason too? Playerbase is drying up obviously.

Legacy.? Who cares seriously.

Playing with others. Group finder? lol standard mmo function.

The reaons you gave feel so forcibly put together and unconvincing. Like a last desperate attempt to get some subs.

For every 5 reasons u gave to play, there are like 10 reasons not to play

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I feel like the game's PVP warzones went down hill from launch...Playing through the story, once on each side, with friends is a good time. After that, doing some of the flashpoints isn't bad. Had to leave after that.

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20
    Bioware just sent me an email saying 'come back to SWTOR, your character misses you... Weirdly I deleted that character like 3 months ago as my server was totally dead... I was quite suprised they don't actually know what characters I have on my account... Makes it feel a little like they don't know what they are doing...
    I really hoped this game would work but I do get the feeling most of this new content should have been in the game ages ago. Good luck to the peeps still playing, but I couldn't even get back into the game with the free month they game me...
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Only one two things will get me back !! Revamped space to something like jtl and game remade into a sandbox
  • ddd47ddd47 Member UncommonPosts: 15

I have 55 reasons not to play this single player game with multi options

and build in "msn"....but not to mention image.

If SWTOR go "buy to play" i think many people come back .

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

Some of us think the game is fine where it is at now, and that it will only get better as time goes by.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by DarnRight

1. Good story

2. Good graphics

3. Good classes

4. Most whiners are gone (back to WoW or Diablo no doubt ;))

5. It's getting better and thank god for server transfers. :)

Hate it if you want but there's plenty who still play and it is just getting better and better.

I agree with this. Those bent on destroying the game have no idea what it takes to make a successful game. That is what SWTOR is.  It will be here for a long time, and it will only get better with time.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by crysent

Hmm, don't think I'm sold on it.

I could see still playing if you are a diehard star wars fan or a big roleplayer.  More power to you if you are one of those types.

I can't think of anything more unfun then the PvP in ToR - it's the absolute most repetitive, gear based PvP I've ever seen, anywhere.

I count myself as a Diehard Star Wars fan, I have given Mr Lucas a lot of money over the years in my obsession.

However even being a Die hard Star Wars fan is not enough to overlook the obvious fact that this game is not an MMO since its not Massively Multiplayer and as such not worth paying a monthly subscription for.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Kabaal

It’s Star Wars!

That was enough to try the game, not to keep playing.  How many times have we heard this one?  We should buy every game that comes down the line, no matter how mediocre, or worse, simply because it has lightsabers and Bounty Hunters?  I don't think so.  This reason fails on basic logic alone.

Free Transfers & Permanent Free Trials are Coming!

They're a reason to resub once they appear, not to keep playing.  Neither of the ideas will fix the issues the game has.  Free transfers may fix population issues, but it won't fix the uninspiring combat system, or help give the game a unique identity that the game has yet to find. 

Free trials are simply a way for EA to pad the game's subscription numbers.  Most people who were intending to play the game have already done so, and the generic MMO experience the game offers will entice few new players to pay for this game in the wake of new MMO's launching in the next few months.

PvP is Fun*

PvP is fun, but it so limited in TOR that it's more repetitive than anything else.  They need to fix the PvP system, mostly with server transfers, to keep players from getting stuck in the same WZ every time.

Playing With Others

I can do that in any other game. In TOR it cant be done unless re-rolling to one of the most populated servers, which are also now rapidly losing numbers of people online. *see Free Transfers  Working on more group oriented activities is actually the wrong way to go.  Let's face it, this game would be far more popular if Bioware simply accepted the fact that TOR is a single-player game with a multiplayer option, and developed the game as such.  Add in the transfers and the group finder tool, and going forward, concentrate on story content, Flashpoints, and PvP, and allow the use of multple companions in PVE and Flashpoints.

Expanding Your Legacy

Legacy is one of those tacked on features that mean nothing other than some stuff we don't need. My Legacy level is already 50 and i gain nothing more than someone who has a Legacy of 25 and even it gave nothing of worth other than the multiple group buffs.  Legacy will be a better system once they actually provide real bonuses for players with high legacy levels, as Kabaal points out, which needs to happen soon.  Offering these skills at reasonable prices would be helpful as well.

Kabaal critiqued this article well, so I added my thoughts to his rather than repeat him. 

The truth is that SWTOR just isn't that great of an MMO in the classic definition, but if Bioware were to make the combat system a little more exciting, enhanced the ability to play the game solo by allowing multiple companions to be used at one time, and opened up the worlds for exploration, they could easily find themselves with a highly successful game.  If the game remains the generic MMO experience, with no real identity of its own, however, it will continue to falter as it has thus far.

• tank-n-spanktank-n-spank Member UncommonPosts: 23

The only reason that would get me to even try this again (glad I tried the beta, and saw how it was designed before I wasted money on it), would be if they went back to their drawing board and redid the whole design from the ground up.

SW IP is the only good thing about this game, and it's not enough to make up for the fact they slapped the same tired, over-done theme-park instanced MMO formula on it.

UO, EQ, WoW were massive MMO hits (at their time) not because they hit upon the end-all-be-all formula of MMOs, but because at the time they came out they were DIFFERENT.  They were FRESH and NEW.  They gave players something new to experience that challenged expectations.  That is why they were hits.  So if you want to make the next #1 MMO, take risks and innovate.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Ahnog

Some of us think the game is fine where it is at now, and that it will only get better as time goes by.

What would get me to come back is another year or two of updates. The problem with that however is how they set the bar. I don't see it getting better with time simply because it's setup as a cinematic driven story-line. 

The subs have been in decline for a while, hard to believe there are people here disputing this fact. That means less money, which means they won't be able to continue using the same standard they set for 1-50. VO is clearly not cheap since it seems a large portion of their original budget went towards this. How will they continue using it now when they are not (I assume) making the projected earnings (They banked on this game becoming the next WoW)? 

To say I would find it jarring to go from VOs to text at 50 would be an understatement and remove what I truly liked about this game. Sadly, I don't see how they will pull this off in any sense. Especially at the current speed of updates. It always shocks me when big companies like this are so slow to update (Looks at Square-Enix) when the game is in need of it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kabaal

PvP is Fun*

PvP is fun, but it so limited in TOR that it's more repetitive than anything else.

Careful there, that can turn into a selling point, under certain circumstances.

All of the PvP players are Gone!!  No moar bitchin' 'bout it!!*

The obvious drawback, from EA's standpoint, is finding a way to not hear:

All of the players are Gone!!  Fullstop.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kryzbynkryzbyn Member Posts: 12

My fiance and I quit playing this MMO for one simple reason:  what could have been.

The kind of planning mistakes, launch mistakes, and design flaws in SWTOR were made before by others and corrected.  Simple freaking research on a history of MMOs that came before could have been done to avoid these mistakes, but it seems it wasn't done. 

They also ignored the successes of other MMOs, primarily those of SWG.  The open-ness of that game kept people playing, even after the disaster that was NGE, and the inclusion of the XvT flight engine for open space combat was genius.

Everything was there for them to make a great game and successor to SWG, but they ignored it.  Instead we got a single player TOR game with some multiplayer added on.

• KrayusKrayus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by kryzbyn

Instead we got a single player TOR game with some multiplayer added on.

You know, I kept telling people that. TOR is just a SP game with MP added on to it.

I quit playing this game and moved on to Star Trek Online (Hate me, because I couldn't give a damn), because it's just better than TOR is for me. I miss SWG, I miss SWG's EXPLORABLE space sectors... Guess what, STO gives that to me.

Yes, ground on STO is somewhat small compared to SWG's open world exploration, but it's the space sectors that do it for me. EXPANSIVE, colorful, the creators of STO did a damn good job on the sectors that have the Genesis program in it for multiple worlds that are generated constantly.

[mod edit]  By the end of the year, it'll most likely be in the same category as SWG in terms of subs, but not it's content. I really do hope that LucasArts is crying into their snot cups right now, blaming EA for taking SWG from their grasps, as they should have kept both open and then learned their mistakes with MMO's. Open World > Closed World on rails.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i was almost ready to try swtor last month but stopped short because there was a lot of negative criticsim on forums.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Best case scenario for this game is if they pull an AoC and let a new team in to do as they please. That actually may become a reality. EA has already announced layoffs and made TOR a non priority. All that is left is for a skeleton crew of eager up n comers to take over and have free range.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    Originally posted by DarnRight

1. Good story

2. Good graphics

3. Good classes

4. Most whiners are gone (back to WoW or Diablo no doubt ;))

5. It's getting better and thank god for server transfers. :)

Hate it if you want but there's plenty who still play and it is just getting better and better.

I agree with this. Those bent on destroying the game have no idea what it takes to make a successful game. That is what SWTOR is.  It will be here for a long time, and it will only get better with time.

[mod edit]

Yup, biowares only made numoures well succesful games, how many well recieved games have the people from this forum made? ya thats what i thought.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• vazerothvazeroth Member UncommonPosts: 11

i havent tried the game yet but  im interested in trying it out.

could someone please send me a 7 day  trial friend invite.

my email address is  [email protected].

many thanks

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59

i am happy with this game and i love this game, i am agree with this article 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Yup, biowares only made numoures well succesful games, how many well recieved games have the people from this forum made? ya thats what i thought.

You never made a car, your opinion on how this one drives is invalid.

You never made a movie, your opinion of it is invalid.

You never ran a website, stop using this one...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46

I was extremely excited for swtor and followed it a little before launch from time to time and preordered and was there on day 1. The game at first I thought was great the story and vo made it really enthralling but as I leveled I began to see more and more flaws the very directed content the planets were very small if you can call them planets more like areas because the are not open or explorable. The companions I thought at first were really cool then realized they were a big mistake because they got rid of most of the reason for grouping for non flashpoint/operation content. The crafting system is just horrible and a waste of time. The lack of classes hurt as well basically only 3 for each side why they made 2 different jedi/sith classes is beyond me and a mistake. The achievement system is a joke and the leveling way way to fast and the ops/fp way to easy.

The big thing is it does not feel like you are part of the Star Wars universe at all. Once you hit level cap there is no reason to really ever leave the fleet except to do some dallies there is zero exploration. The fleet was a big mistake as well as putting all the fp/ops on the fleet these should have been tied into the planets. I really hoped this game would be the one I would enjoy for the next 10 years and while I did not want a SWG2 they certainly could have taken a few things from that game and made this game much better as it is just a poor mans wow as it stands now.

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Mephster

Sorry but the majority has already spoken and still are. Playing and supporting bad games is only hurting the mmo genre.

This is a ridicous statement and in my opinion is what is ruining the mmo genre. What you're bascially saying is, " I don't like it and you supporting it is hurting ME". It is absolutely insane to tell someone not to play something they like playing for ANY reason. If they're enjoying it, they should play it. The "bad games" as you have deemed them are still enjoyed by others, even though you may not like them. There are still people playing Eq1 for shits sake... is that hurting you?

I have moved on from Star Wars, but may return in the future. Saying that people supporting the game is hurting the MMO community is nonsense. There's room for everyone to play what they like. 

Yeah so lets keep on supporting failed mmos because someone else likes it. That really does the mmo genre justice...  There have been things that I have liked that peopledone away with but I got over it and moved on to better things. The existing fanbase would get over it and move on to something much better that they deserve. They'll get over it. By the end of the year I bet TOR will have less than 400k playing. So we're going to keep on supporting failed mmo because the minority likes it ? They'll get over it too.

Ha! Sorry for stepping on your supreme Highness' toes but, frankly, you don't matter even a flying ferret's floating fart when it comes to SWTOR. You might have, if you were still playing or if you were considering SWTOR, neither of which is the case. You'd really just be a sad little zero in the equation, if you even were in the equation.

What you need to get into your skull is that the world doesn't rotate around you. You are not the fountain of all wisdom, the great lord and judge. Just because you don't like something nobody mustn't like it? Get a grip on reality, there will always be people who like something you don't like, and in turn people who hate something you like. It's our right to make a free choice.

So, I hope this will get thru your ego clouded mind, but people like SWTOR, they pay to be able to play SWTOR, and your pathetic "rally cry" will probably remain as unheard over the next game you feel "failed the mmo genre".

Oh, by the way, 2 final words: it's clueless people like you who think that they actually have any power when it comes to mmos. You want powerr go buy SWTOR from EA/BW and then you can turn it off and tell the playerbase to "get over it".

And second, it's interesting that you haven't named one (1) example of a mmo game that people should be supporting instead of SWTOR! I mean if that one really were such a failure, I'm sure you should be able to bring the good masses over to another game just by showing them how much better, how much more fun it is... so yeah, sorry to break it to you but no grownup is listening to a toddler's temper tantrum. *shrug*

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Loke666

Playing With Others

The problem here is that while you can play with others TOR is doing a lot better job with singleplayer than playing with others. In fact it is my top reason not to subscribe to TOR.

Sorry, Mike but this is not a valid reason to keep playing TOR, it is the number one thing they must fix. They can leave the soloplaying as it is, it is already good but that is not what keep us paying that monthly fee. Playing together with others is the main reason and TOR needs to improve that experience a lot.

Isn't it your choice whether you play together with others or not?

Which is to say I can't see why the "solo content" shouldn't be played with others. I have done it plenty of times in SWTOR, even just on a random base when somebody asked me if I could help him in completing a quest.

To me it sounds like you are asking BW to add more groupplay one content because you are afraid you can't handle making the choice on whether to play quest X solo or as a group...

well. maybe I'm just putting mmo gamers on too high a pedestal, I mean considering that apparently most have a problem talking to each other and may sort of organizing a party based on "let's do your quest firs, then we do mine" but rather spam LFGs at the complete;y wrong places and then go home crying because nobody wanted to play with them... *rolls eyes*

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by observer

MMORPG.com should just stop featuring this game.  That's how bad it is right now.  It's not even worthy of being called an MMO.

Thats only your point of view, is still the most populated and successful MMO post wow and it keep growing, live with it. But agree MMORPG.com should stop making reviews about swtor, this site is full of haters who know nothing about the game, and just want to see tor  fail. For the last 6 months we have read the hate towards swtor in this site from the community 24/7, gw2 fanboys, sanbox lovers, and people who just dont like the game but they keep trying to convince everyone that the game is just bad. Dear haters, you are a vocal minority, swtor is alive, they have an insane amount of content for the following months and an exp in the 1st year, and even now when most of the servers are light, they keep selling more copies per week than any other p2p MMO in the market, all these ¨swtor is doomed¨, ¨the game is drying¨ etc etc and etc posts and comments will vanish once again  with the free transfers and the 1.3 update, when we will find that actually people is back  to the game, why? because the people who is actually playing the game know what everyone want and is waiting, and all of that is coming pretty soon. At the end haters gonna hate, and even when they know deep in their souls how wrong they are, the hate will be around here. 

ummmm its been losing ppl by the 100,000's how is it growing?