Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Our Official Diablo III Review

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

@ -- Mods or Staff ;

How do we constructively request a new review to be done? Not to belittle Mike B  , but if he only got to a little above level 30 I personally don't feel that was an adequate level to review the game. How about a differing playstyle review? Perhaps have one of the more "hardcore" gamers who didn't just get to level 30 review the title?

I absolutely believe Blizzard needs to feel the dissatifaction with this game ... and since user reviews are getting ignored; professional reviews have to step up.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by SlickShoes

*snip*  --  infact I have no desire to start an alt now because I don't want to play through the game twice on difficulties where it's almost impossible to die unless you are afk.

I'm right there with you.   I love many many aspects about D3, and I'm personally having a blast, along with ALL of my friends (the ones that game anyway)  --

Unfortunately, I can not bring myself to play any alts seriously.   I have a barbarian in Inferno mode, and I want a Wizard too, but when I switch characters and it says "normal mode" and I think about far I have to go just to get to (i hate this term)  "The Good Stuff", it ruins my enthusiasm to play, and I just switch back to my barbarian.     

Feels like they should have made some version of the acts in harder modes but with lower scaled mobs.    For instance, Level 1 Wizard, Act I, set difficulty to Nightmare or Hell mode or whatever you've unlocked, (in this case, let's say Nightmare) and begin.   The mobs will now start at level 10 or something, against your level 1.    

I'm sure the scaling would be a bit more thought out than what I spat out but, I hope some of you get the idea.    Anyways,  love the game still.   I have my complaints, but I'll save those for one of the rage quits when I'm mad about a pack I can't kill in Inferno.   ;P

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I actually really liked diablo 3 up til lvl 31 or so when i beat normal. Of course, this was like 3 hours into the game. How can you possibly review the games "longevity" and "value" based on that? Ridiculous reviews here.

• spinesplitspinesplit Member Posts: 115

The longevity of the game dies when you get 4-5 toons to the end of hell or beginning of inferno because you are forced to repeat the same game over so many times and like pointed out most of it is e-z mode...if the pvp was implimented and the epic legendarys that are promised.Then there would be a reason to actually grind away to achieve power but as it stands its pointless.Blizzard should have made a diablo mmo instead of making this game if you ask me.It is a single player and co-op game with major mmo elements to it and its so exploitable because of that fact and  by the time the RMAH goes live gold wont be worth very much.Blizzard know this so if you read their latest blog entry deaths at 60 will cost 4-6 times more for repairs. I enjoy d3 for what it is but i agree it could have been so much more.It is not all the games faults that will make me leave though because i really do enjoy the things i find great about it and i know it will get better in time.The constant crying and maturity level of the community and most acting like spoiled brats will make me leave though. Fair review even though i love playing it, you gave it a score its not worthy of imo, but i like that what you had to say it was fair.

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217

I had wondered why it took them so long. Did it live up to the hype? No, not for me. I've enjoyed better to be honest. My collectors edition is in an inch of dust already.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Woah those are some ugly screenshots and I'm not even a graphics snob.

I don't understand the AH and what people are saying about drops.  No drops that could possibly be upgrades?  Sounds pretty broken.  This entire game is about getting loot to drop, without loot what does this game have? Also if the game is all about loot what fun is it if you can have max upgrades from the AH?

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

The rating as per usual with any AAA title is rubbish,[mod edit]

For any fence sitters this game is rubbish do not buy it, it has continual server downtime error messages galore the ah is finally working again on commodities however when the rmah launches be prepared for a massive problem error 37/33 or tbh i am sure there will be new ones.

The ranged dps have a massive advantage over melee, gl all you barbs, there are numerous goldfarming cheats happening more account hacks than they can keep up with.

This game has blatantly been launched early to take advantage of the millions of players quitting swtor and other mmo's, this game will not scratch that itch and leave you thinking why the hell didnt i listen to my own instincts and stay away from this game!

Glad to hear some of you are enjoying the game, have a good time on the 13th June....

• oddjoboddjob Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Vannor

Has nobody even bothered the read the official 1.0.3 patch preview?

The item finding problem will be sorted for endgame along with plenty other changes. What's the point in complaining about it when blizzard have already said they are going to change it?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5055288/Patch_103_Design_Preview-06_06_2012#blog

The game easily deserves this score, especially once that patch lands. Many people, like myself, have put over 200 hours into the game and arn't even a little bit bored with it. I'd go 9.0 if there was some kind of randomized free roam maps added to the endgame... hopefully in the future.

The problem is not just the drop rate, it is the quality of the loot. D3 loot is plain boring.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by oddjob

Originally posted by Mardukk

Woah those are some ugly screenshots and I'm not even a graphics snob.

I don't understand the AH and what people are saying about drops.  No drops that could possibly be upgrades?  Sounds pretty broken.  This entire game is about getting loot to drop, without loot what does this game have? Also if the game is all about loot what fun is it if you can have max upgrades from the AH?

The loot you find will mostly be useless and/or much lower level then you. This I see as Blizzards attempt to push people to use AH(sell the loot you find, buy what you need). the reason they wanna do this is to get people used to using the AH for when the real money AH arrives. 

As I stated earlier, in over 70 hours of play I have not found 1 single item that made me go "YES!". All you can hope for is something you can sell on AH or something that marginally raises one of the 3 stats you need(main stat, vitality, all resists)

Supposedly they're upping the drop rates in 1.3 but the problem is the loot tables and system in general sucks.

Check out this excellent article, it explains why the D3 loot system is fubar.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

If this game didnt have the Diablo name on the box and it wasnt made by blizzard, but was exactly the same...

I can promise you that most of these junk reviews would be much lower.

The game is a joke and its just verification regarding the Blizzard bias that exists.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

If this game didnt have the Diablo name on the box and it wasnt made by blizzard, but was exactly the same...

I can promise you that most of these junk reviews would be much lower.

The game is a joke and its just verification regarding the Blizzard bias that exists.

I was gonna say something, but this person beat me to it. +1

Sadly this could be said about a lot of things.

"If someone other than Bioware/Mass Effect 3 tried that ending, no one would defend it."

"If it wasn't SWTOR/Bioware, no one would play it."

etc., etc., etc.,...

And all of the above is correct.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ValhalidValhalid Member UncommonPosts: 25

I appreciate the perspecive of the writer. However, It seems to me that under each category it all funnels down to one isuee or boon that the writer perceives. I do like that the one issue is defined and walked through a bit, but if the rating was based solely on that one issue as the OP states, I would have expected some of these scores to be much lower. An example: Game play has a ton of variences that I wish had been expounded upon. Hows the crafting? Any benefit to exploring? How are the team interactions? This section of the review seems to be narrowed down to one flaw and tossed aside and yet it gets a 7.5.

The area I was most inerested in reading was the social area, even though I am an introvert I actually do enjoy the 'distanced' social interactions that MMORPGS offer. I have never heard of achievements as being a social tool. Social interactions are usually defined by emotes, communication during a battle, team finding, guild building, not... achievements... I did kind of get an understanding of what the author was referencing here, but a flag isn't exactly the height of social interaction. In addition, nothing the writer said in this section should have resulted in a 9 out of 10.

I had to throw out the longevity and value sections, the arguments there were just too weak.

Thanks for the review, I truely hope you post another with more details.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I hope this site never shuts down. If all of the haters and conspiracy theorists that are being held captive here were to get out in to the wild, the internet would be wrecked.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I like this game a lot and have put in over 100 hours over different characters, and I think this review was a little too nice. Should have gotten less than 8.5.

- The story is absolute garbage. I'd go into detail but I don't want to spoil anything.

- The combat is fun, but it's kind of weird on characters like Monk where you can equip weapons like swords in both hands, then with every attack, you sheathe them and punch the enemies instead. Would be nice if they made different animations for different weapons that worked with the class, and I know there are a few differences, like on my Barb, certain skills like Bash will switch from a slash to a stab depending on whether you have a sword or a spear equipped, etc., but it just makes things look a little weird.

It's fun smashing and smacking enemies all over the place, though, and you and them both go flying when killed at times. lol

- The itemization is piss poor, and very rarely after Nightmare did I find anything worth using. In Inferno, I've gotten gear with +experience on it. In Inferno, it's pretty much a guarantee you'll be 60, so why would that ever drop there? I understand that there's chances for dropping low level stuff from like 45-60 in Act 1 Inferno at least, but honestly, when you're in Inferno, in the "end-game", they should be dropping at most like 58+ gear.  Also...

- The Auction House is just annoying. It kills the Diablo loot feel and makes the game less exciting, because at the moment in Inferno, at least on melee, it just doesn't seem possible to gear up without the AH, but you need so many millions of gold to get a good amount of gear to progress in A2+, so I'm basically just farming gold to buy gear off the AH. Luckily there are changes for this coming in patch 1.0.3.

- Crafting. Sure, I could use a TON of money on crafting in the offchance I might actually get something good, but in the end, it's just not worth it. The items you get aren't all that great as far as I can see, and the only time I ever use crafting is up to maybe level 20 on new characters, then it's not overly worth it anymore. I would rather save my gold up for a known item on the AH, then spend hundreds of thousands of gold randomly gambling on a piece of gear hopefully coming up witht he stats I want on it. Blaaaah.

And so on. The game has potential I'm hoping will be reached in patches... but right now, it's just even close.

• thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25

There was a day where Blizzard used to make perfect games.... looks like they lost their good employees

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I find it odd that I, a casual gamer, have made it into the top 1.9% of players in terms of progression and level. I've really just stuck with one character to this point, but it's a bit mind boggling that the majority are between 1-30, because that's normal difficulty. It was so easy.

My biggest complaints from the game come from loot drops. Mike hit the nail on the head with the Auction House issue. At this point it's more beneficial for players to gear and gem for increased gold find than for magic find, and that's because a majority of the items you find are absolute crap. It's easier to gear out by just using the AH to buy your way to success.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

I just have the Starter (demo) version, but just playing that I've found it to be an incredibly average game.  Haven't played it at all in a number of days.  It just had nothing to keep me coming back.

Regarding the review...the numbers just don't make sense.  They shouldn't even be put in there to be honest.  I mean how do you have gameplay that is 7.5, but longevity at 9.5 and value at 10??  If ANYTHING in life is slightly above average to me, it doesn't sound like I'd be doing it that long, nor would I find PERFECT value in it.

Based on the numbers, if someone asks you how the game was, your repsonse might be..."The gameplay is so-so, but man, it was money well spent, and I should be playing it for years to come."  It just doesn't make sense.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Originally posted by atuerstar

Diablo III burst on the scene a few weeks ago to instantly become the best-selling computer game in history ....

Really?

Lie to me in your opening quote and ill assume everything you have to say from then on is to reinforce the validity of your lie.

Right, because wikipedia is solid reliable information....not.

what, to incompetent to click referance links? people love to claim wikipedia is unreliable when it doesnt support their position, yet they conviniently leave out the fact that most things have sources linked,guess thats your problem, normal people are competent enoguh to click links and read webpages.

Every single number there has a source link next to them, learn to use them, as for the quote, its fastest selling, not best selling as seems to get misused, no lies about it.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by rygard49

I find it odd that I, a casual gamer, have made it into the top 1.9% of players in terms of progression and level. I've really just stuck with one character to this point, but it's a bit mind boggling that the majority are between 1-30, because that's normal difficulty. It was so easy.

My biggest complaints from the game come from loot drops. Mike hit the nail on the head with the Auction House issue. At this point it's more beneficial for players to gear and gem for increased gold find than for magic find, and that's because a majority of the items you find are absolute crap. It's easier to gear out by just using the AH to buy your way to success.

I agree. I can't believe I am currently at 66% magic find and still not finding anything useful. That's just sad.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The item finding problem will be sorted for endgame along with plenty other changes. What's the point in complaining about it when blizzard have already said they are going to change it?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5055288/Patch_103_Design_Preview-06_06_2012#blog

The game easily deserves this score, especially once that patch lands. Many people, like myself, have put over 200 hours into the game and arn't even a little bit bored with it. I'd go 9.0 if there was some kind of randomized free roam maps added to the endgame... hopefully in the future.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

This review and complaints are from now, not the future. Personally, I think the level of stupidity from Blizzard in the original release has dumbfounded many people. Between the story, terrible itemization and the horrible implementation of the AH, as well as the less than optimal connection to the service for many (whether you've experienced it or not,  looked passed it, or whatever, is not the point. It's there for many.) Not to mention that hacking and goldselling is already rampant.

But I hear everything is worse over in Korea and such, so meh.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

You don't fucking review a game on what they may or may not have in a future patch that may or may not fix an issue. Are you serious? No way in hell, heaven, or Maghda's panties does this this game deserve a 9.0.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Gajari

This review and complaints are from now, not the future. Personally, I think the level of stupidity from Blizzard in the original release has dumbfounded many people. Between the story, terrible itemization and the horrible implementation of the AH, as well as the less than optimal connection to the service for many (whether you've experienced it or not,  looked passed it, or whatever, is not the point. It's there for many.) Not to mention that hacking and goldselling is already rampant.

But I hear everything is worse over in Korea and such, so meh.

Aye, this is about now. As of now Blizzard has listened to the complaints and have said they are acting on them. Since that was determined everyone is just complaining for the sake of complaining, they already have best result they are going to get for now.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

You don't fucking review a game on what they may or may not have in a future patch that may or may not fix an issue. Are you serious? No way in hell, heaven, or Maghda's panties does this this game deserve a 9.0.

Did I say anywhere that it should be reviewed based on a future patch? or that i'd give it a 9 in it's current state?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

8.5/10.....que the hate.