Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questionable sever transfer information

Comments

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Spartan212

I'd hate to be a guild master who transfers to a new server to find that their Guild Name and Player Name has to be changed.  What a nightmare trying to re-form

Not really... if the guild name was taken, heck, you may actually be able to join together as one big guild, assuming obviously that you want to.

Should you rather prefer to stick with only the guys from the old server, well, a new guild name shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are creative - which may well be a problem with many MMO players :-P

Well, should there be no longer a "Sir X" as overlord to unite under as the guildleader has lost his name, frankly, to be honest most guilodies connect at least to some degree - at least partially - outside one specific game.

So, it's really just a matter of spreading the word that "Sir X" is now "Lady Y" in SWTOR and runs "the new guild" instead of "the old guild" on the server they all moved to.

I mean I'm sorry but I think people should stop expecting BW (or any other gaming company for that matter) to do everything for them, take them by their little hands every step of the way. You felt like creating your own "commune", well, now go and take care of it yourself!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

They have been working as fast as they can and all they have come up with, it seems, is what they did for WAR.

The goal however is to push almost every destination server to an active population that is higher. Almost every destination server? As a goal? Is it that much of a struggle to keep up with the rate of player attrition? 

Bad news about guilds - and after all that EA said as well.

And no mention of mega-servers either. No: we are going to take 10 servers and put them together. Lot if hype from EA head folk about it but the reality seems to be different.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73
    Originally posted by knighthammer

" For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service

and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service"

From the sound of it, if you are in a guild it will be split up in the move and you dont have a decent chance of getting on the same server as your guild mates who you may have spent playing with since day 1, well that seems to suck badly

It does suck that they're not offering guild transfers, but if you're all on the same server anyway, wouldn't you all have the option to move to one server only? That would make it a bit easier....but still far from ideal. I really wouldn't want to be a guild leader trying to organise a guild move, strikes me as being about as easy as herding cats. 

I hope that's something they'll address further down the line. 

If the guild leaders have any organizational skills they will pick a server and send a mass mail message to the members stating where the guild is moving to. Our guild has an actual website and our leader constantly updates it along with messages waiting for us on a pop up screen the moment we log in.  I think it's better this way because not everyone will agree of where to move and they should have the freedom to go where they want to go.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by ktanner3

" For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service

and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service"

From the sound of it, if you are in a guild it will be split up in the move and you dont have a decent chance of getting on the same server as your guild mates who you may have spent playing with since day 1, well that seems to suck badly

It does suck that they're not offering guild transfers, but if you're all on the same server anyway, wouldn't you all have the option to move to one server only? That would make it a bit easier....but still far from ideal. I really wouldn't want to be a guild leader trying to organise a guild move, strikes me as being about as easy as herding cats. 

If the guild leaders have any organizational skills they will pick a server and send a mass mail message to the members stating where the guild is moving to. Our guild has an actual website and our leader constantly updates it along with messages waiting for us on a pop up screen the moment we log in.  I think it's better this way because not everyone will agree of where to move and they should have the freedom to go where they want to go.

The question is how long the transfer window will stay open, and wether you can transfer chars on a inactive account. There should be plenty of people with an inactive account waiting for content/patches, would be asked a bit much to reactivate your account just to transfer your chars.

Lets face it, this is going to rip guilds apart and destroy whatever local community there was on the servers. They shoud have just created new servers and transferred people to it, shutting down the old.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

In theory.

In reality many guilds are no longer in that shape. Many guilds have lost their leaders and officers and only a small group of normal members remain. It's the result of making this move so late.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Rocketeer

The question is how long the transfer window will stay open, and wether you can transfer chars on a inactive account. There should be plenty of people with an inactive account waiting for content/patches, would be asked a bit much to reactivate your account just to transfer your chars.

If the person is on inactive status then he isn't a part of the community anyways and would thus cease to rip it a part. I'm far more concerned about  the people that are actually playing rather than the ones that already left.  I'm sure that there will be another mass e-mail sent out to the people on inactive status to come on over and try out 1.3. Course then when that happens people will come on these forums and bitch about it if past history is any indication. Bioware's damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Lets face it, this is going to rip guilds apart and destroy whatever local community there was on the servers. They shoud have just created new servers and transferred people to it, shutting down the old.

That would be such a waste of time and resources.  Is it really that difficult for today's player to coordinate with others on picking and choosing a server? How hard is it to send an email out to your members saying this is where we are moving to? Or are today's players so unable to think for themselves that they need a full time babysitter?

Originally posted by Elikal

In theory.

In reality many guilds are no longer in that shape. Many guilds have lost their leaders and officers and only a small group of normal members remain. It's the result of making this move so late.

I think everyone agrees that Bioware waited too long to do this. But having said that moving forward, this is not that bad of a solution. If the guilds no longer have any leaders or officers then it isn't really a guild anyways. People that actually play with each other also talk with each other and I'm sure the discussion of servers is one of them. I know it is with people I play with.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Love when people talk without knowledge, it wont destroy anything,  All the characters and players from lets say ¨Server X¨ will have the same destination server. And they are creating new servers to transfer all the people.  

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by JorgeElGuapo

i am very interested on how the server transfers will pan out for SWTOR.

I really enjoyed the game when it first came out but the low pop servers really killed it for me.

Lot of people stop playing because of that, after the news of the merge next week, people is coming back to the game again. 

I might come back for a pvp server.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I wish them the best and hope it went well.

They cant drag me back because i dont left due to population issues.

I'd like to transfer my USA PvE toon to a EU PvP server, but after reading this, i doubt it will happen.

[quote]

Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished

[/quote]

If i unexpected CAN copy that over there, im gonna use some hours to see if they have also improved the performance, but my maincomplaint, the broken targeting, seems still not improved, what we can read in the forums.

So, good luck BioWare ^^

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by teakbois

They are right that free for all transfers is bad.  Fatman and Jedi Covenant would be unplayable.  Rift had issues because of this on wolfsbane and faeblight, and there are a lot more people in SWTOR.  

Once they get it sorted out they should introduce FFA transfers, but limit it to one per character per 90 days (minimum).  People shouldnt be able to server hop endlessly, its bad for community.

Most people had stopped playing after 90 days since launch. Some mmos (including SWtoR) don't even last 90 days for some players before they move on. 90 days would drive me away from the game, it's a punishment, far too long to wait after making a mistake. Weekly is good, at least it's not done on a whim but you aren't punished for moving to the wrong server.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I was thinking more about things like the Guild Bank - it's not all that clear how that's going to work. To quote from the site: "For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service."

There's nothing in there about the contents of the bank - so that's an open question. Imagine having to divvy up Guild Bank contents among members and then getting everyone to transfer, and then recouping everything....yeah, even with people I trust, that would not be fun. Someone's transfer is delayed for whatever reason and there's a panic because they had some Guild Bank stuff on their character...

I'm not loooking to move servers, but I'm an officer in an active 100+ player guild, with a bank chock-full of shinies that we'd want to move too. Yes, GMs and officers should be organized, and saying "Hey let's all vote on a move: Yes or No" is easily organized, it's after that that the headaches can start. 

Obviously if CS can transfer the contents of the bank too it'll all be much simpler, but only time will tell if that'll be the case. Forgive me for being cynical about it! 

I was thinking more about things like the Guild Bank - it's not all that clear how that's going to work. To quote from the site: "For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service."

There's nothing in there about the contents of the bank - so that's an open question. Imagine having to divvy up Guild Bank contents among members and then getting everyone to transfer, and then recouping everything....yeah, even with people I trust, that would not be fun. Someone's transfer is delayed for whatever reason and there's a panic because they had some Guild Bank stuff on their character...

I'm not loooking to move servers, but I'm an officer in an active 100+ player guild, with a bank chock-full of shinies that we'd want to move too. Yes, GMs and officers should be organized, and saying "Hey let's all vote on a move: Yes or No" is easily organized, it's after that that the headaches can start. 

Obviously if CS can transfer the contents of the bank too it'll all be much simpler, but only time will tell if that'll be the case. Forgive me for being cynical about it! 

From the quote, yes, I think CS will access the bank guild, "take stock of it", and then just transfer it all over to the new guild.

But obviously the safest way - if you don't trust SWTOR CS to do things right, is to have every guild member take their stuff out of the bank and then gather again on the new server with the new guild and a new guild bank to fill. ;-)

Rocket, I seriously don't know where you are getting your logic from...

What BW does is giving p[eople on a server a voluntary choice to transfer. Now, whether that will be limited to 1 destination server or more, that remains to be seen...

The thing is that if people care to stay together, all they need to do is talk and select to transfer to the same server, no matter if they are guildies or "civilians".

So yes, the old community, the old guild will in that sense be destroyed, as the origin server will probably not exist much longer in the first place.

But the same community, the same guild can "bloom" on the new server as the "seeds" were obviously brought over from the origin.

Now, in what way is walking in Gestapo-like and corralling off the population of a server to another server not going to destroy guilds and the local  community, especially if BW was to play a numbers game: "Well, we have 200 slots to fill on server X. There are 275 here. Pick the first 200, the rest will go on server Y" - rip goes a guild, rip goes the community!

Sometimes, people are just strange...

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971
    Originally posted by Trol1

From the quote, yes, I think CS will access the bank guild, "take stock of it", and then just transfer it all over to the new guild.

But obviously the safest way - if you don't trust SWTOR CS to do things right, is to have every guild member take their stuff out of the bank and then gather again on the new server with the new guild and a new guild bank to fill. ;-)

Sadly, it seems I was right to be cynical, from: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4569652#edit4569652

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
    • Disband the Guild.
    • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
    • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

So, yeah, not ideal. 
    •  
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ryukan

Why do I get the feeling that Origin servers=getting closed down the road.

Yeah the approach they have taken is confusing. Why are they trying to empty out existing servers even more? Stop being lazy and just merge them.

With the way instancing works in SWTOR I see no reason to have more than one server per ruleset, location and language combination.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Is this the new mega server technology?

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Fennris

they're keeping low pop ones running, even after these transfer waves hit them... it's gotta cost them $ to do that, especially since their active player count is going to be very very low... 

That depends.  If they have 1 physical server per game server yes it would, but that would be such an out of date way to do things.  If they were smart they have used virtualization to create virtual servers on a hardware cluster.  In that case it doesn't matter if they have a empty vitual game server out there, it won't be taking up many resources and only resides on the cluster so they can add and remove hardware as they see fit to cover the load.

Sadly, it seems I was right to be cynical, from: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4569652#edit4569652

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
    • Disband the Guild.
    • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
    • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

So, yeah, not ideal. 
    •  

Well, they say it's the "most efficient method" which I agree is probably true because it takes any guild transfer almost completely out of the picture, just simple character transfers and then a "re-asignment of investment made" or something like that ;-)

But I doubt it'll be the only way.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

Yes, this won't be a vehicle for merging characters/legacies on two separate servers unless you get hit by blind luck. To me it is funny how they aren't admitting that they are "merging servers" - they're keeping low pop ones running, even after these transfer waves hit them... it's gotta cost them $ to do that, especially since their active player count is going to be very very low...  And it's gotta be a bad situation to have new players picking one of the dead servers because they like the names. 

Well, I don't quite agree with the "blind luck" bit I'm sure they are - at least over time - spreading the origin-destination range.

Which makes perfect sense as doing this without the right consideration will easily lead to high Imp pop servers which will then of course just start the next crying wave.

Anyways, if your multiple origin servers don't share the same destination server, well, give it a bit of time! It might change... and more importantly - obviously - in the first few days everybody and their grandma will rush to transfer, which, as was said, will take time.

Now, new players selecting low pop servers... am I wrong or did you just call gamers (in general) dumb?

"Tehe, look, this server, like, has such a cute name, like, you know, and I'm sure Justin Bieber would, like, totally love that name, tehe, so, yeah, like, we should totally join that one... though, I don't really understand what that "light population" means... like there are no coloured people on there? Tehe"

I mean I'm sorry but I assume that ANY gamer is mentally capable enough to make the decision whether he wants to play on a "healthy" server or on a "dying" server.

Eventually I'm sure that there will be a way to transfer chars wherever - but that system has not been described yet and I'm not going to assume anything at this point. But for the immediate and near future (several months +) they have not hinted that you will be able to do anything like that. If you have characters on two separate servers you will need blind luck to get them together under one legacy. If they are on different server types or regions then forget about it.

As far as the dumb players go.... The main transfers thread on swtor has less than 60k views: most players (95%+) have not read it, nevermind most new players and nevermind many other threads about server choices and pops Other games have cross server grouping tools; this one does not. In some games low pop is nice because it removes competition for resources and spawns. The only way that a new player can know that "low pop" means "empty and almost unplayable" and that all rp-pvp servers (for ex) are about to be crap other than Jung Ma (which will be less pop'd than many others and therefore less fun) would be if the new player read a lot of boards like this first. If not reading boards like this first makes someone stupid then you're calling 95% of the players stupid but i'm not. If a player likes the name of a server and it's in his region and it's the right type, that should be all that new players need to get going.
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Rocket, I seriously don't know where you are getting your logic from...

What BW does is giving p[eople on a server a voluntary choice to transfer. Now, whether that will be limited to 1 destination server or more, that remains to be seen...

The thing is that if people care to stay together, all they need to do is talk and select to transfer to the same server, no matter if they are guildies or "civilians".

So yes, the old community, the old guild will in that sense be destroyed, as the origin server will probably not exist much longer in the first place.

But the same community, the same guild can "bloom" on the new server as the "seeds" were obviously brought over from the origin.

Now, in what way is walking in Gestapo-like and corralling off the population of a server to another server not going to destroy guilds and the local  community, especially if BW was to play a numbers game: "Well, we have 200 slots to fill on server X. There are 275 here. Pick the first 200, the rest will go on server Y" - rip goes a guild, rip goes the community!

Sometimes, people are just strange...

Look, im inactive, i liked my guild. So if i decide to come back with patch 1.4, cause i like the features or whatever, i will be on the old server while those in my guild currently active will be on the new server. Now imagine this is in about 2 months time after the transfers, what happened? Exactly what you feared with the gestapo commen, the destination server from back then has become full and there is a new one, no way around that i can see ...

Do you understand now?

Obviously with the method i mentioned you would just leave the 200 slots open instead of transferring 3/4 of a guild, how blasted difficult is that to comprehend? If people choose to stay inactive no harm done, they are not wasting any more resources on the new server then they did on the old.

The way the do it now means people that take a break from the game(you know that happens with MMOs occassionally, not everyone stays on a subscription for the entire life of an MMO) will miss transfer windows, that happened in WHO, and i see no mechanic preventing it here.

But you know what? Its not my problem, if i can follow my guild to the new destination later fine, if i can't i won't resubscribe. I mean people are on the fence in regards to this game as it is, we really need to piss them off right?

Also yes i think people are often disorganized, and since when do you need to run a forum and a massmail server just to keep your guild together. That some kind of brilliant design if i ever saw one. Yes lets go totally darwins law on casual not as well organized guilds, this game can afford it for sure.

Shit the way people talk you'd think the game was braking sub records right, left and center. Same damn arrogance that was rampant in WHO forums, who cares if someone has a problem with the way they run the show, just tell em to piss off if they don't like it. You know what? People pissed off.

Yes, this won't be a vehicle for merging characters/legacies on two separate servers unless you get hit by blind luck.

To me it is funny how they aren't admitting that they are "merging servers" - they're keeping low pop ones running, even after these transfer waves hit them... it's gotta cost them $ to do that, especially since their active player count is going to be very very low...  And it's gotta be a bad situation to have new players picking one of the dead servers because they like the names. 

Well, I don't quite agree with the "blind luck" bit I'm sure they are - at least over time - spreading the origin-destination range.

Which makes perfect sense as doing this without the right consideration will easily lead to high Imp pop servers which will then of course just start the next crying wave.

Anyways, if your multiple origin servers don't share the same destination server, well, give it a bit of time! It might change... and more importantly - obviously - in the first few days everybody and their grandma will rush to transfer, which, as was said, will take time.

Now, new players selecting low pop servers... am I wrong or did you just call gamers (in general) dumb?

"Tehe, look, this server, like, has such a cute name, like, you know, and I'm sure Justin Bieber would, like, totally love that name, tehe, so, yeah, like, we should totally join that one... though, I don't really understand what that "light population" means... like there are no coloured people on there? Tehe"

I mean I'm sorry but I assume that ANY gamer is mentally capable enough to make the decision whether he wants to play on a "healthy" server or on a "dying" server.

Eventually I'm sure that there will be a way to transfer chars wherever - but that system has not been described yet and I'm not going to assume anything at this point. But for the immediate and near future (several months +) they have not hinted that you will be able to do anything like that. If you have characters on two separate servers you will need blind luck to get them together under one legacy. If they are on different server types or regions then forget about it. As far as the dumb players go.... The main transfers thread on swtor has less than 60k views: most players (95%+) have not read it, nevermind most new players and nevermind many other threads about server choices and pops Other games have cross server grouping tools; this one does not. In some games low pop is nice because it removes competition for resources and spawns. The only way that a new player can know that "low pop" means "empty and almost unplayable" and that all rp-pvp servers (for ex) are about to be crap other than Jung Ma (which will be less pop'd than many others and therefore less fun) would be if the new player read a lot of boards like this first. If not reading boards like this first makes someone stupid then you're calling 95% of the players stupid but i'm not. If a player likes the name of a server and it's in his region and it's the right type, that should be all that new players need to get going.

I see you have very little faith in gamers... which I find understandable considering that you are even considering merging your characters from different server types... I mean you, as a player, make a choice: do I want to be same on my PvE server or take a risk on a PvP server. Why should you be allowed to change your mind? Because now suddenly you have this big kick-ass toon and you want to wipe every Imp/Rep that you meet in contested territories?

Please, be realistic...

and yes, I agree in the first steps uniting your characters from different (same server type) servers will require luck...

but the question is: why would you? I mean, again, you chose to create characters on different servers in the first place!

Yes, of course, the latter characters may have been created because your old server was dying... well, big deal!

potentially you haven't then played your old characters in a while as there was nobody there to play with... so, now you need to wait a bit longer before you can play with them... and ops, you now can transfer them to a low pop-raised-to-high pop server... which sadly isn't the server you created your new toon on... man, it will never be be perfect for everybody under all circumstances, unless maybe they start paid for transfers anywhere... live with it! You are one out of 1 Mio players!

And yes, I assume that unless you are a cave or vault dweller today seeing the light for the first time, ever, you will know about what is going on with SWTOR, thru friends, forums, news mags, blogs, videos, etc. So, what gave you the idea that you need to study SWTORia 101 on the forums to successfully pick the right server even as a new player... well, I don't know. ;-)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Am I misunderstanding that this is voluntary?

So a low-pop server has optional migration, and a character doesn't leave... they'll keep the server running for that character?

Sounds like free character migration rather than server mergers, which are normally forced (A+B+C+D merges into E).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Am I misunderstanding that this is voluntary?

So a low-pop server has optional migration, and a character doesn't leave... they'll keep the server running for that character?

Sounds like free character migration rather than server mergers, which are normally forced (A+B+C+D merges into E).

As far as I can see the transfers are totally voluntary. Nobody at BW has said anything about what will happen AFTER the voluntary move period.

I find it very difficult to believe that they will keep 200+ servers active indefinitely, especially when a substantial number of them will have been stripped of characters by the voluntary moves.

Perhaps the depopulated servers will be "archived" or "mothballed" or "frozen" or some other creative term that avoids the dreaded "MERGE" word.

Or they could just keep the illusion going by keeping ALL the servers active, but not allowing any new character creation on the depopulated servers. 

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

<<  I see you have very little faith in gamers... which I find understandable considering that you are even considering merging your characters from different server types... I mean you, as a player, make a choice: do I want to be same on my PvE server or take a risk on a PvP server. Why should you be allowed to change your mind? Because now suddenly you have this big kick-ass toon and you want to wipe every Imp/Rep that you meet in contested territories? >>

That's as far as I got.  I was originally answering someone else's question when you stomp in with your assumptions, accusations and weird ("Trol1" = trollish?) logic.  I personally am not considering merging characters from multiple servers.

For going to another server type, if you picked rp-pvp, you are out of luck with these merges because in many regions there is only -1- rp-pvp server (in ne usa there are 2) and, in spite of all of them being full at release, none are particularly populated now.  Since you can't switch types, that means those on rp-pvp servers are never going to be on a particularly busy server unless SWTOR gets more players.  Along those lines, most games allow moves from pvp to pve; it's the reverse that they don't.   It's fine if everything else is equal to say that players should stick to what they started with and committed to but everything else is not equal.

"I see you have very little faith in gamers..."  I don't know what the heck you're talking about but can't say that I care either...