Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Storm Legion > GW2

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Celcius once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you.

in RIFTs defense, they are adding mentoring next patch  1.9 -- so you can lower your level to old content

Yes I did consider this for the other side of the argument; but in reality once people get all the items they need from mentoring they won't do it anymore. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nadia
    even tho they are tripling the current world size - I am surprised they are not adding any lower level content under 30 theres only 2 starting areas in RIFT and its very linear

You zip through it fast enough that it's probably not cost effective to add lower level content. It would be a better experience to have more choices for lower level starting areas, but they're focusing on the content where people spend most of their time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Xssiv
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by dadante666

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

I enjoy a spirited debate every now and then so lets have a go at it.

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

Rift                            GW2

Dynamic Events                X                                   X

Dungeons                          X                                   X

Raids                                  X              

World Bosses                   X                                   X        

Battlegrounds                   X 

3 Faction PvP                    X  

WvW                                                                          X

Open World PvP               X

Fully Explorable World    X                                    X

Seemless World             X       

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

EDIT: Sorry, the formatting came out bad

GW 2 has 3 faction pvp, battlegrounds, open world pvp, and a Rift does not have a seemless world. GW2 is far more seemless. Lets throw in personal story, 5 starting areas (not two), skill based gameplay, and no monthly fee onto GW2's side of the fence ;) Let's not forget that once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you. The 3 faction pvp in Rift is also a joke. I would actually say Rift's 3 faction PvP is in the same category as battlegrounds. 

GW2 has three server PvP (WvWvW) so I'll give you the 3 faction point.  It certainly doesn't have open world PvP.  As far as seemless worlds, you're joking right?  Each city has a load screen to get into it, each major zone has a load screen.  If you call that seemless then we're at an impass my friend.

WvW is open world pvp. You just zone over to it (aka how you will zone over to the expansion in Rift's "SEEMLESS" world.) I also never said that GW2 is seemless, just that it is more seemless. Let's not forget the amount of lobby ques in Rift. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Name the three factions, as far as I've seen there are no factions, it's only WvW.   I could be wrong.  As far as BG's, I've only seen the Arena type PvP from GW2 (2v2, 3v3) which doesn't equate to a BG in my opinion. 

Regarding World size, I don't think GW2 will be bigger than Rift when the Xpac comes out.

So because it's named "world vs world", it isn't factions? [mod edit]. And you are also wrong when you put your cross for "2 faction PvP" in front of Rift, since that game definitely one has two factions.

GW2 has no arenas, it's only BGs. If you're looking for the pillar chasing PvP in a bowl you have in WOW, there's none of that in GW2.

For the last line, do you realize how silly it is... not only it's a big assumptions, since Rift's original world is TINY compared to most if not all other theme park MMOs (even SWTOR is way larger than Rift), but you also assume the expansion is going to not only double, but like increase landmass by x5 or more (you gonna need that to match GW2 landmass).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Glad you made this thread as a response to all the GW2 fanboys, it was driving me nuts.

Yogscast posts a video and one of the first comments is "Why play Rift when you can play GW2?", instantly gets like 60 thumbs up and people responding to the comment with "hah SO TRUUE", "OMG THE TRUTH BURNS", "LOL GW2 FOR THE WIN".

I hate the fans of GW2(generalizing right now, not all of you but ffs, stay off other games videos)...

They made an amazing interactive open world boss that is gigantic and reacts with the environment and just by fighting it it opens up new areas your can't get to otherwise, this is open world as well. They are tripling the size of the world adding new raids, dungeons and the only thing people can say is "GW2 FTW".

This is just one example but I mean I can't go anywhere without seeing GW2 spewing itself over every other game.

Anyways Kudos to Trion on this, you've actually got me interested in Rift again.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

Gw 2 has battlegrounds btw.

I wonder though does any body ever sit and look at both games then see how they use their features, hell the features listed right here are executed differently. Some are entirely different themselves DE's and Rifts, would y'all like to shoot off youtube videos lol?

Rift to me is like the best MMO that's highly akin to WoW though, it's one that I can play and get kinda far before getting tired. I like it more than Tera, though Tera has it on the fighting but that's just about it.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Rift                            GW2Dynamic Events                X                                   XDungeons                          X                                   XRaids                                  X              World Bosses                   X                                   X        Battlegrounds                   X 3 Faction PvP                    X  WvW                                                                          XOpen World PvP               XFully Explorable World    X                                    XSeemless World             X       

Rift only will have 3 faction PvP in exactly the same way that GW2 has 3 faction PvP, the majority of Rift's content is two factions, they are introducing 3 faction PvP areas because they are seeing that it works.

The difference between rift and GW2 as far as dynamic events goes is monumental, rift utilises them for rifts and invasions but keeps all quest content linear, GW2 replaces all content with events not just adding some to a traditional quest system, they have replaced the traditional quest system completely. The size of Telera on release could fit in to two GW2 zones and still have space to spare, GW2's zones are huge and there will be 25 of them on release.

You can't create a check list like that without going further in to what each game has done in each area.

I really like Trion, I have a hell of a lot of respect for them as developers, what they do they do incredibly well, they speak to and listen to the community and are fantastic at adding content and moving the game forward. They've built a very solid traditional MMO with some nice additions, they haven't gone from the ground up trying to break the mould or revolutionise the genre, that's absolutely fine, though I look forward to the day they do because I'm sure they'll do it well.

I do think Rift could benefit the most from further leveling content after this, that would bring players back I'm sure, it's a terrible game to roll alts in, two very small starter areas followed by one very linear journey to end game, I never got more than one character to max for that reason, couldn't bear to do it all again.

I'm looking forward to the expansion and will be buying it for sure, thing is I've already bought GW2, there's no sub to have me worrying about time spent in games I'm currently paying for, I can therefore happily buy the expansion and sub again for a couple of months if I want.

I'm also looking forward to TSW *sigh* too many games not enough time!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by KingGator

limited end game to WoW

ive never seen any mmo have *ample* end game content on release, including WOW

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Name the three factions, as far as I've seen there are no factions, it's only WvW.   I could be wrong.  As far as BG's, I've only seen the Arena type PvP from GW2 (2v2, 3v3) which doesn't equate to a BG in my opinion. 

Regarding World size, I don't think GW2 will be bigger than Rift when the Xpac comes out.

So because it's named "world vs world", it isn't factions? Please, troll more... yes you ARE wrong. And you are also wrong when you put your cross for "2 faction PvP" in front of Rift, since that game definitely one has two factions.

GW2 has no arenas, it's only BGs. If you're looking for the pillar chasing PvP in a bowl you have in WOW, there's none of that in GW2.

For the last line, do you realize how silly it is... not only it's a big assumptions, since Rift's original world is TINY compared to most if not all other theme park MMOs (even SWTOR is way larger than Rift), but you also assume the expansion is going to not only double, but like increase landmass by x5 or more (you gonna need that to match GW2 landmass).

No, it isn't factions. You are correct. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Rift and GW2 are not comparable.

Rift is firmly set in the holy trinity with raids and gear grinding. PvE is based on gear. PvP is based on gear. The whole point of the game is to get better gear.

GW2 has no dedicated tanks or healers. GW2's combat is much more action oriented. GW2's PvE is strategy based. GW2's PvP is skill based. The whole point of the game is to have fun.

I own both games. I've played both games. My Rift account is still active. Rift is nothing like GW2 and the expansion does very little to change that.

Originally posted by cooper85

No, it is not  factions. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

Changing the name "faction" to the name "team" doest really work... 3 teams are 3 factions fighting each other.

"Can't be wrong on an Internet forum - I HAVE to "own" those GW2 fans!" ;)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Dynamic events don't work the same way in GW2 and Rift. They are actually VERY different, I prefer GW2's.

BGs and 3 Faction pvp are in GW2. 3 Faction pvp is WvW, they arent factions but they are servers. The same thing layed out differently. It is also WAY MORE advanced than what Rift currently will have, which looks more like a 3 side battleground. Not sure were you got the idea that there are no BGs in GW2. In fact the game is mostly a pvp game and the game was designed with balance in mind.

I wouldn't say RIft or GW2 is a fully seemless world.

I liked Rift when I played it and I think Trion is a hell of a company. I knew a couple of hours in to it that it wouldn't hold me for long though. Its the same formula and the Rifts get boring very fast. The pvp was definately not good for me and it was very unbalanced. Im sure they have made the balance better by now but its still close to impossible to balance pvp in a game like Rift. There is something about Rift that I can't really put my finger on but everythingn feels very generic about it.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

So because it's named "world vs world", it isn't factions? Please, troll more... yes you ARE wrong. And you are also wrong when you put your cross for "2 faction PvP" in front of Rift, since that game definitely one has two factions.

No, it is not  factions. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

Look, i'm a huge fan of GW2, for for factions that means 3 distinctive factions, like DAoC, PS..... Those are the only two 3 faction games i know of. Other are like WAR's Destro and Order. Different races, different classes, different scenery. If GW2 split the norns from humans and sylvari, that could be factioned, but thankfully it isn't.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Changing the name "faction" to the name "team" doest really work... 3 teams are 3 factions fighting each other.

Because that's not GW2 fanboys attitude towards fans of every other game /sarcasm ;)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Rift and GW2 are not comparable.

Rift is firmly set in the holy trinity with raids and gear grinding. PvE is based on gear. PvP is based on gear. The whole point of the game is to get better gear.

GW2 has no dedicated tanks or healers. GW2's combat is much more action oriented. GW2's PvE is strategy based. GW2's PvP is skill based. The whole point of the game is to have fun.

I own both games. I've played both games. My Rift account is still active. Rift is nothing like GW2 and the expansion does very little to change that.

If the holy trinity is your porn, then rift is the best game you'll find, Rift have great developers.  HOwever, if you are looking for another type of game, GW2 is setting hte bar.  You can clearely see that at the games that are coming out. Games like neverwinter and elder scroll are using GW2 as their template for new and innovative combat.  

If i had to choose a holy trin game i'd go to rift, but, like now, i'd rather just wait for something new.  I hate trudging to get levels in Rift. I hate the stand here and fire this type of combat that theo nly trinity brings and i hate competing in cooperative games. 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by KingGator
    Originally posted by Thane

rift: storm legion > GW2

hmmm, where did i hear that before... reminds me off sth.... *tries to remember*

uh right... it was from rifts pre-/release time... rift > wow.

well, that's your opinion then i guess, thanks for sharing it, i dont have the same tho hehe

GW2 fanboi is so cute, you're comparing a game with serious game play limitations, a cash shop, and limited end game to WoW but find it amusing that someone thinks this expansion for rift may be able to compete with a game that hasn't been released yet.

I also have found it pretty damn amusing that anyone thinks an expansion for Rift could compete with GW2.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

No, it isn't factions. You are correct. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

Its not factions but the purpose behind it is the same. Create "faction"/"server" pride.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

GW 2 has 3 faction pvp, battlegrounds, open world pvp, and a Rift does not have a seemless world. GW2 is far more seemless. Lets throw in personal story, 5 starting areas (not two), skill based gameplay, and no monthly fee onto GW2's side of the fence ;) Let's not forget that once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you. The 3 faction pvp in Rift is also a joke. I would actually say Rift's 3 faction PvP is in the same category as battlegrounds. 

GW2 has three server PvP (WvWvW) so I'll give you the 3 faction point.  It certainly doesn't have open world PvP.  As far as seemless worlds, you're joking right?  Each city has a load screen to get into it, each major zone has a load screen.  If you call that seemless then we're at an impass my friend.

I was just wondering whether did you ever play GW2 Beta at all, bro?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

lol Wrong.

1) GW2 currently has 3 faction PvP.  Rift WILL have 3 faction PvP.

2) GW2 does have battle grounds.

3) Rift does NOT have a seamless world lol. Both have loading screens. They appear far less often in GW2 though.

GW2 actually offers more core features and content than rift does by a great deal my friend. Rift is supposed to be getting some of what GW2 is offering in a the upcomming expansion which may put it on par or close to on par but still will pale in comparison lol. 

There actually isn't a need for Open world PvP or Raids in GW2 either. GW2s 3 Faction PvP is held in a massive area. I'd wager it alone is almost the size of Rifts game world.

Raids are covered by the dynamic event system scaling and the fact that everyone gets to contribute. In the starter zone I regularly ended up doing events with 20+ people lol. No need to raid when raids can constantly happen on there own.

Again.... try talking about Rifts good points without comparing it to GW2. GW2 offers so much more than Rift and thats a sad fact. I say sad because Rifts been out for so long and has an expansion on the way just to put it on par with GW2 in content and scope lol.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by kantseeme

All i heard was Nerf Bat Nerf Bat Nerf Bat. 4 new souls that people will bitch and complain about. Fixes that will break something else 10x over.

And people arent constantly bitching and complaining now?

Even if things were perfectly balanced, people would still bitch and moan.  The game people regard as the best PvP game, the game that Rift is trying to emulate (poorly) with its 3 team battle ground.....that game had very imbalanced classes.  The key is to balance around a team setting, not 1v1.

theres always bitching no matter what. what im saying is with the addition of these new 4 souls, its goin to get worse. One of Rifts huge blunders was messing around with the callses to begin with.

insted of letting people learn how to play there class, they listened to all the bitching and complaining about how this class is to OP and that class is to OP. With all the changing of the classes i had to relearn how to play my mage 4 different time. Its one of the reasons i quit the game in the first place.

The imbalancing of the classes makes for a more diverse and pleasant gameing experience imo. Some classes should be stronger then others. and those weaker classes should be giving tools to defend ones self against the others ie. CC spells, traps and the like.

Make people learn how to play there classes for christ sake.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Because that's not GW2 fanboys attitude towards fans of every other game /sarcasm ;)

I definitely don't (and I'm ignoring the childish "fanboy" insult, I guess you don't know any better, so I leave that to you).

I just don't tolerate wrong information to be spread, and pretending GW2 does not have 3 faction PvP warfare is just obviously wrong.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Dumb title when you consider that 1 doesn't have a sub, so you can enjoy both.

"My new boss is awesome and better than your boss, so i win"

"My boss is already that awesome at level 20, so i win"

"I'll enjoy both bosses and games, so I win" :D

True, you can enjoy both, but you also need time to play both.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

GW2s 3 Faction PvP is held in a massive area. I'd wager it alone is almost the size of Rifts game world.

Wow, I never even thought about it that way. Thats too true -- and sad at the same time. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

GW2s 3 Faction PvP is held in a massive area. I'd wager it alone is almost the size of Rifts game world.

Wow, I never even thought about it that way. Thats too true -- and sad at the same time. 

I think that's taking it a little far, the WvW area is big(it's also the same area copy-pasted 3 times) but I highly doubt it's comparable to Rifts game world.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I might resub to Rift when this expansion comes out, but I don't think I'll have enough time to play it because of the GW2.