Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO for RP?

Staked42Staked42 Member Posts: 3

I'm looking for an MMO that has decent RP servers. Preferably one that doesn't require a high-end system to play. :-) I'm having fun on Vanguard at the moment, but there's little to no RP to be found.

Comments

• OphidianzOphidianz Member Posts: 8

what about LOTRO ?

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    LOTRO
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

LotRO on Landroval

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I would say Lotro as well. You really can't beat the rich environment.

Best of luck

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Any high-population MMO is bound to have a roleplaying guild hiding out somewhere.  Vanguard is a pretty nice place, but the reason you can't find RP is that there's like 200 people on max.

WoW, RIFT, DDO, LotRO, SWTOR, etc.  all have roleplaying guilds and communities.  Go through official forums for the servers and try to look up guilds or off-site communities - they will point you in the right direction. 

Pick the game that fits the theme you would rather RP in and go.  LotRO is sort of overrated, trust me.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Lotro.

Maybe Eve, too, as you can totally RP a psychotic sociopath and get away with it.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by elocke

Lotro.

Maybe Eve, too, as you can totally RP a psychotic sociopath and get away with it.

From what I've seen, those guys aren't RPing that. image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by elocke

Lotro.

From what I've seen, those guys aren't RPing that. image

Rofl, good point.  Yikes.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

If you like a post-apoc world, I found that Fallen Earth has a decent RP community.

http://fallenearth.rp-haven.com/

I'm playing LORTO, also.  I;ve heard there's a great RP community there. So far, I've been pretty immersed in the game and have only run to other players with names, rather than IDs.  There's an influx of people in the game now, especially in the newbie areas. I'm thinking it has something to do with LOTRO being on Steam, now. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm a fellow RPer and I've tried to RP in numerous games, and nothing seems to come close to lotro. 

• Staked42Staked42 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I've created a human hunter on Landroval in LOTRO and am having fun doing the low-level quests. Anyone have a suggestion for an active RP kin?

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Because it wasn't mentioned, I think STO is also pretty good place to RP.

The user-created content (Foundry) really supports this, you can whip up what are essentially campaigns for your RP-buddies and play them out.

You can also RP on your own ship and now with the addition of player-owned starbases soon it brings another potential to RP.

However STO is also restrictive, because you are essentially confined to RP in the public spaces, and the game is heavily instanced.

So there will never be the feeling of a "trek" across a visually interesting land.

But it depends how you want to RP.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

LOTRO, and it's not even close.  Turbine put together the best RP system of any game out there.  

--Great RP-friendly lore

--Numerous in-game events

--chat bubbles

--sitting in chairs

--alchoholic beverages that actually get you sloshed

--robust appearance tabs with numerous dyes/outifts

--player housing

--ability to create a character bio that everyone can view

--ability to name your mount

--ability to name your legendary weapon

--a music system

--most importantly:  an amazing RP community (particularly on Landroval)

No other game comes close to LOTRO in this respect.

• ShadoGearShadoGear Member Posts: 46

This thread has prompted me to download lotro on steam and try out the RP, thank you

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I doubt Face of Mankind has the population needed to work as it should these days, but I have never seen a more serious RP side to a game, ever.

For instance the asshole LED faction (read: police faction) actually will run drills, line up for roll call, and if/when you spend a moment in the joint (prison) the guards and prisoners trade banter befitting the situation. Every faction has their own thing going on, and they tend to take the RP of said roles VERY seriously. Scared me at first, but was fun to take part in either way.

~I played BoS (drug cartel faction), so the LED were like my sworn enemies - but really, they made enemies with every other faction because they like to perform uncalled for search and seizures, as well as make arrests for the minimal amount of criminal points you can accrue from simply defending yourself. Jerks....

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I played FoM for VERY short time and I think it could have been awesome for RP. It was very empty and I just couldn't do it.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'll echo what many others have been saying here - Landroval on LotRO is fantastic compared to the general MMORPG landscape. It's about as good as you're going to find without going to a more RP-friendly format (like Neverwinter Nights or structured RP games).

That being said, I've been throwing out Ryzom's name quite a bit lately - they actually advertise the game as being RP-friendly on their main page, which is something that you very rarely see. There do seem to be a number of RP-oriented guilds on the English server as well, though I'm still testing the waters.

<3

• Not_KhaerosNot_Khaeros Member Posts: 31

I wouldn't really suggest Ryzom.  Silan was interesting when characters named things like Cumdumpster were running alongside me.  Definitely an RP-friendly game.  The gameplay was interesting by far, but I found better RP in WoW than on the mainland.

Truly, your best bet is a MUD.  They're better than MMOs if roleplay is the only thing you're looking for.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I didn't think LoTRO was that great of a game for RP actually....Maybe if you could play both sides it would have been...... ALso it was so quest driven that you're basically a robot that doesn't have to think or roleplay much.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Hands down lotro landroval, best server ever, period.

• SlorgSlorg Member UncommonPosts: 37

Lotro is great like most people here said. Even WoW can have some good rp on the rp realms.