Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Weekend extra gems offer

SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I haven't really been following GW2, but I managed to get a beta code for this weekend from a friend and I am excited to try it.

I got the e-mail today that you can see at the bottom of this post. I understand to use the gem store once it is live you will need to link a credit card to your account in order to use the cash store. I know lots of people get a bit annoyed when games require or even ask for your card details, is it really necessary for them to ask for our credit card details on a beta weekend? I realise it is optional but it just seems a bit odd request actual credit card details in a beta.

Free Gems for Every Beta Player

Each account that participates in the Beta Weekend Event is eligible to receive 500 free gems that they can use on whatever they like in our in-game Gem Store during the weekend. Those who enter their credit card information on our secure in-game website will receive 2,000 free gems!

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

It's because they want to test the system out, it needs testing like any other aspect of the game. There might be a holding charge of a £1 (UK currency) which gets refunded. As you said it's purely voluntary so up to you if you want to use it or not, there's a large window for free server transfers so nobody should need to use it.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

that 2000 is great help for your team. worth your while to help them test the system, also you can trade it for 1 Gold.

My suggestions:

Mail your 1 gold to your friends to buy a commander book for 3 gold, helps greatly in mists, also 1 Gold buys a siege golem which is really fun to operate/watch/battle :).

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

It's indeed a bit odd to add CC details in a beta. If it's for free points I don't see why they would need it to validate your identity.

Maybe they do this because they want to test the billing on all the different types of cards that are available worldwide.

For example I got a prepaid card that's fully integrated with mastercard but during BWE1 this card didn't get accepted so I'm unable to add it even if I wanted to for just the extra points to test the store items. They better accept that one or offer more payment options if they want me to spend any money on account upgrades in the store come launch because it's impossible for me to get a real CC for 2 more years.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

that 2000 is great help for your team. worth your while to help them test the system, also you can trade it for 1 Gold.

My suggestions:

Mail your 1 gold to your friends to buy a commander book for 3 gold, helps greatly in mists, also 1 Gold buys a siege golem which is really fun to operate/watch/battle :).

This is deplorable.

My team needs help! Let me get my CC...

• FreyasFreyas Member Posts: 32

I'd assume it's to make sure that their billing systems work and that they get any bugs ironed out before they start actually taking people's money.  I know some other MMO's have had issues where they billed people for their subscription multiple times (Warhammer did this iirc), and they're probably trying to make sure that the same sort of thing doesn't happen with GW2.

If I'm reading that right, they're giving everyone 500 gems regardless of if they put in their information- my guess is they're wanting more feedback on what people are interested in spending gems on than they get from just the people who are willing to put in their CC info, while incentivizing people to help them test their billing system by giving those people an extra 2k.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Exilor

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

Or use your ingame gold? Seriusly stop this lost war against GW2 cash shop as it is now its not pay to win. During one or 2 BWE is impossible to get lots of gold to go spending aroud so thats why lots of people use gems to buy things instead of gold, but when the game goes live and people starts save ingame currencies there will be less need of gems.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by cinos
    Originally posted by Killing91

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

Or use your ingame gold? Seriusly stop this lost war against GW2 cash shop as it is now its not pay to win. During one or 2 BWE is impossible to get lots of gold to go spending aroud so thats why lots of people use gems to buy things instead of gold, but when the game goes live and people starts save ingame currencies there will be less need of gems.

Even then it still doesn't change the fact that someone needs to first have the gold to buy all those gems people plan to sell. If no one has the dough then players won't get any quick cash for their gems.

And also to be realistic - would you use real life cash to purchase gems to convert into gold, that may or may not give you enough of an edge to gain a few percentage worth of increase in crafting crit success and the likes, which most certainly will be lost within two weeks when WvW matches start over again?

edit: reply intended to Killing91 along with the previous points quoted in the post.

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

Only ArenaNet can decide if there is (or will be) a need of gems or not. If people buy these things in the BWE they're sending the message "we're ok with this, keep going this way" to ArenaNet.

It's in our best interest to not yield, it's not mindless hating.

• orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112

anyone knows if the cash shop is paypal enable?

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Nefera
    Originally posted by cinos

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

Even then it still doesn't change the fact that someone needs to first have the gold to buy all those gems people plan to sell. If no one has the dough then players won't get any quick cash for their gems.

And also to be realistic - would you use real life cash to purchase gems to convert into gold, that may or may not give you enough of an edge to gain a few percentage worth of increase in crafting crit success and the likes, which most certainly will be lost within two weeks when WvW matches start over again?

edit: reply intended to Killing91 along with the previous points quoted in the post.

I will probably use the cash shop if they will implement something interesting in the future as it is now i don't see anything useful   

for me. I'm currently planning to spend gold to buy gems for those things so everything will cost me 0 real money (hopefully :p)

<snip>

I will probably use the cash shop if they will implement something interesting in the future as it is now i don't see anything useful   

for me. I'm currently planning to spend gold to buy gems for those things so everything will cost me 0 real money (hopefully :p)

This is pretty much what I have in plans as well. I'll probably buy a character slot or two (being the altoholic that I am), maybe some bank space, and very possibly some of the costume sets. Whether I'll buy them with in game gold or actual cash will remain to be seen.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I don't see it noted if these gems will roll over to launch or MUST be used for the BWE. I'm guessing used.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    I don't see it noted if these gems will roll over to launch or MUST be used for the BWE. I'm guessing used.

Considering the wiped the balance of gems form previous betas, expect it to be wiped every BWE as well as for release. No point holding onto them. Just use them to test stuff. 

They've stated that the gems will not carry over to launch.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

It's called a strawman.

Using your credit card to purchase an advantage is deplorable, but that's not how the game works.

The only way gold is earned is through in-game means. Gems can be traded to other players for the gold that they have earned by playing the game but the game does not create or sell gold, the game simply lets you trade with other players.

Originally posted by OldManFunk

My suggestions:

This is deplorable.

It's called a strawman.

Using your credit card to purchase an advantage is deplorable, but that's not how the game works.

The only way gold is earned is through in-game means. Gems can be traded to other players for the gold that they have earned by playing the game but the game does not create or sell gold, the game simply lets you trade with other players.

Euphemisms. You use RL money to get gold that you haven't earned, and the source of that gold is besides the point. It's not the game's "economy" I worry about.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

I dont know what everyone is so worried about. This game, like every other one in existance, will have farmers in it that will be happy to sell you gold at a nice and cheap 'YU BUY!' rate. And...there will be plenty of people playing it who will do exactly that. You dont have to worry about those buying gems to trade for gold, that will cost too much RL cash when they WILL have the alternative available.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

also stated that unused BWE1 gems do not roll over to BWE2

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uodjr/im_a_guild_wars_2_developer_ama_about_the_next/c4x5ldj?context=3

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

1 gold....wow that doesn't even put a dent into anything that you gain around level 30.  Your better off hitting 30 and getting your own gold, it's probably quicker than pulling out your credit card to gain that kind of in game gold.

And who knows what you get at level 80, buying gold is just going to be a big let down for people I think.

• NickcsNickcs Member UncommonPosts: 50

Ive gotten a mail from ArenaNet aswell.. nothing of the likes regarding gems and giving my card details though... anyone else think this seems suspicious?

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by Butregenyo that 2000 is great help for your team. worth your while to help them test the system, also you can trade it for 1 Gold. My suggestions: Mail your 1 gold to your friends to buy a commander book for 3 gold, helps greatly in mists, also 1 Gold buys a siege golem which is really fun to operate/watch/battle :).
    This is deplorable. My team needs help! Let me get my CC...
    It's called a strawman.   Using your credit card to purchase an advantage is deplorable, but that's not how the game works.   The only way gold is earned is through in-game means. Gems can be traded to other players for the gold that they have earned by playing the game but the game does not create or sell gold, the game simply lets you trade with other players.
    Euphemisms. You use RL money to get gold that you haven't earned, and the source of that gold is besides the point. It's not the game's "economy" I worry about.

The source of the gold is exactly why it's not harmful to the game. It has no more negative impact on the game than obtaining a rare item from a random drop and then selling it for gold that you didn't "earn".

Originally posted by Butregenyo that 2000 is great help for your team. worth your while to help them test the system, also you can trade it for 1 Gold. My suggestions: Mail your 1 gold to your friends to buy a commander book for 3 gold, helps greatly in mists, also 1 Gold buys a siege golem which is really fun to operate/watch/battle :).
    This is deplorable. My team needs help! Let me get my CC...
    It's called a strawman.   Using your credit card to purchase an advantage is deplorable, but that's not how the game works.   The only way gold is earned is through in-game means. Gems can be traded to other players for the gold that they have earned by playing the game but the game does not create or sell gold, the game simply lets you trade with other players.

The source of the gold is exactly why it's not harmful to the game. It has no more negative impact on the game than obtaining a rare item from a random drop and then selling it for gold that you didn't "earn".

If a random drop is the same to you that gems you buy for money, then it's game over for me in this little discusion of ours. Victory belongs to you.