Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: E3 Interview with Matt Firor

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online was at E3 2012 in a big way this year, and our own Hillary "Pokket" Nicole caught up with the Game Director Matt Firor (of DAOC fame) to chat about everything from the PVP to the class progression, and nostalgia for past titles in the series.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    O.O Pokket is beautiful!
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Sound like there trying to combine alot of elements from both sandbox type play and themepark but making it to where you will not see much of a difference in it. I will wait till I can get it to find out for my self as of now I will be watching this game.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• cwliiascwliias Member UncommonPosts: 31

Prepare your self for a gigantic dissapointment 

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

This is such an awkward time for releasing an MMO or even talking about releasing an MMO.

Gamers see a short CGI clip and base their opinions falsely on a simple 30 seconds. They see the name of an engine and stamp the title with a thumbs down. They read some quotes and add their own conclusions and then after all that outright ignore the statements made by the leader from the studio in order to spread disinformation.

Developers should just do like Blizzard has done with "Titan". Call it a code name and say nothing until just before release. People would be too busy playing to fill up the forums with so much trash, speculation, and misinformation.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Well the best part of that was Hello Kitty.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Your standard basic mmo we have been getting since WoW. Exactly what the mmo genre needs right ? Brace yourselves for the massive failure heading our way.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

What's so standard about this, we get both instanced an open world pve content such as dungeons. We get both meaningful pvp where we can capture target cities for influence so we can crown a king of our choice, as well as instanced pvp groups for those that like it. We get a semi structured system of classes, but with the ability to branch into other things as well. Less restrictiveness in grouping to make it that people want to help people in or out of group with them. putting thigns in the areas that are not actually labeled so if you explore you can find somethng for it. It honestly does sound like a mmo reinvisioning of eos series if it were all populated with players that are not scripted. To me though i wish the three factions were open to be joined by any of the races, instead of this faction locking of the races.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Asuran24

What's so standard about this, we get both instanced an open world pve content such as dungeons. We get both meaningful pvp where we can capture target cities for influence so we can crown a king of our choice, as well as instanced pvp groups for those that like it. We get a semi structured system of classes, but with the ability to branch into other things as well. Less restrictiveness in grouping to make it that people want to help people in or out of group with them. putting thigns in the areas that are not actually labeled so if you explore you can find somethng for it. It honestly does sound like a mmo reinvisioning of eos series if it were all populated with players that are not scripted. To me though i wish the three factions were open to be joined by any of the races, instead of this faction locking of the races.

Exactly, no one here is saying the game is devoid of good qualities and ideas, its just those concepts arent good for an Elder scrolls MMO. If the game had any other name it would be ok, but its just not acceptable to have an elder scrolls game without Open Skill system, housing, and a sandbox enviornment where you the character have free reign over where you go and what you do.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Much like many others before, a popular IP is being dumbed down in order to make it a standard MMO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

If they are able to ship the game with all the features they are talking about,I think it will be worth a try.After GW2 that's the second MMO which is encouraging  exploration.I also like the fact that you can pick any weapon and be good or get better the more you use it.

As a longtime Morrowind player(not Oblivion or Skyrim ) this game is definitely on my "To watch list".

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Curious whether there will be world pvp in the non-Cyrodil parts of the world as well on ... *wait for it* ... dedicated pvp servers.

Also whether there will be mingling between factions in those racial areas at all.

Now it seems the world is chopped in 4 big chunks, where you'll have access to your own faction's pve part and the Cyrodil pvp province. That seems a bit artificial and restrictive.

Anyone any answers on these points?

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

I was pleased that Matt Firor touched on how ESO plans to have elements that appeal to explorer type gamers. Hopefully these "treasures" won't always appear at exactly the same spot after someone has discovered it.

In any case, I plan on checking ESO out.

Originally posted by DarkPony

Curious whether there will be world pvp in the non-Cyrodil parts of the world as well on ... *wait for it* ... dedicated pvp servers.

Also whether there will be mingling between factions in those racial areas at all.

Now it seems the world is chopped in 4 big chunks, where you'll have access to your own faction's pve part and the Cyrodil pvp province. That seems a bit artificial and restrictive.

Anyone any answers on these points?

Its Lead Developer is Matt Firor (of DAOC Fame!)

I will lay Vegas odds that TESO Factions will play much the same way as DAOCs Realms

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

Never before have I so badly wanted to be a Hello Kitty t-shirt....

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Gonna be sad if you can't bring the fight to the homelands, but it didn't really sound that way did it. Idk wtf comes up with these ideas sometimes. They can't seem to think outside these age old boxes and to boot there isn't any sand. :(

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Cool video. Can't wait to mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

time will tell,but sounds pretty horrible.

[mod edit]

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Children bashing a game on this site, like that never happens.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by dronfwar
    Cool video. Can't wait to mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel.

Falcore!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

I have no idea why they are using Elder Scrolls to make what is a spiritual successor to DAOC. Classes, Races locked factions, three faction basis, dumping the real time fps/tps combat style of Elder Scrolls, and swerving away from the go where/do what you want style(though this is still open to more information.)

DAOC already has its own developed lore, why not simply roll out with that? For all intents and purposes this sounds more and more like DAOC 2 then an Elder Scrolls derivative.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Yeah, whatever this is, it's certainly not catering to TES fans. lol

Agreed very bad timing to be promoting a new mmorpg right now. Let GW2 launch and die down a bit, then start pumping this thing up...

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Some games have a "Game of the Year Edition." This one can have a "Fail of the Year Edition."

• booheadsbooheads Member UncommonPosts: 25

I'll never get some things about MMO fans. This game has nearly every (if not every) feature that makes GW2 super hyped and loved around here, yet everyone thinks it will fail and be DOA.

Can someone explain this to me?  Brand loyalty?

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by booheads

I'll never get some things about MMO fans. This game has nearly every (if not every) feature that makes GW2 super hyped and loved around here, yet everyone thinks it will fail and be DOA.

Can someone explain this to me?  Brand loyalty?

Please note that not "everyone" thinks it will "fail". I think it will be a moderately successful MMORPG like most of the themeparks.

But yes, you're right. The feature sets of TESO and GW2 are comparable, still some people go to the TESO boards and post "WOW clone! Fail!" and 5 minutes later go to the GW2 boards and post "Awesome! So innovative!" about practically the same feature set. I think it's funny. That's what marketing and hype can do.

But of course there are also many people that are just disappointed that TESO seems to be yet another themepark and doesn't have the gameplay of the single-player games. Of course that's no reason to think the game will fail but it explains their disappointment. Hehe, some years ago there was a series of RTS-games called Warcraft or something - then the company completely changed the gameplay around and made an MMORPG from it - was indeed a complete failure. ;-)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.