Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what games do people like on this site.

Not trying to flame but..... it seems that every game I look at on this site, is getting torched by this community....any recommendations from the crowd, not including WOW please...

Comments

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Really depends what kind of game you like.

If you want a game with combat very similar to WoW but better graphics and a bit more features, go with Rift.  Rift also is getting a new expansion soon, so if you're one of the type that "doesnt want to play a game thats going to go f2p soon", Rift is a good choice.

If you want combat very similar to WoW but with a bigger story focus and you like Star Wars, go with Star Wars the Old Republic.  They are going to be offering a free trial to level 15 soon, so you may want to wait for that.

If you like more action oriented combat without targetting and jaw dropping graphics, go with TERA.

Those are all P2P.

If you don't mind free to play and want an action combat super hero game, go with DC Universe Online.

If you want a limited free to play experience with optional subscription hero game and more customization than you'll ever know what to do with, go with Champions Online.

Day Z is also popular currently, which is actually a mod for Arma 2 (shooter game like BF/CoD) that is a zombie survival game.

Some other note worthy free to plays are Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and Everquest 2 if you like fantasy games and can deal with slightly outdated graphics.

Hellgate London is a fun action dungeon crawler with Diablo type loot in a demon apocalypse setting.

If you want to get into MOBAs, League of Legends is awesome and completely free to play.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Ultima Online, Asheron's Call 1

Games that made you use your brain once in awhile and didn't hand everything to you via a "?" and direction finder on your mini map.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Nefarion84

Not trying to flame but..... it seems that every game I look at on this site, is getting torched by this community....any recommendations from the crowd, not including WOW please...

I would say it depends on what you are looking for. Different folks have different tastes. Hard to help ya with what you have given us.

As far as the bitching:

Some go to a game's forum due to fear of what may happen to their game of choice. Other times you see folks attack themepark games in the vain hope it will get more sandboxes made. Not to say there isnt themepark fans that consistantly gloat in a sandbox forum, cause that happens as well. I try to take the approach that if I visit an active games forum here on MMORPG, I try to respect that others enjoy it, and my posting should reflect it.

It is all pretty silly what goes on if ya ask me. The Pub is where conversations about various styles should be taking place, and game forums are for those enjoying a game to talk about it. If ya have something to add in a games forum, then have at it. When you make it a crusade to disrupt a forum daily you are crossing the line. Since it isnt my call though, what I say is simply my opinion of the matter.

This could be such an awesome site, but sadly too many use it simply to pass their misery.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

As sad as it is this will happen to every game that gets announced, and welcome to mmorpg.com.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I think this forum just has a rather large community, so you get a hater for every product.

For instance, I like WoW, Diablo III, and I'm looking forward to GW2 atm.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've been haunting F2Ps.

Aika, LOTRO, RoM, AOC, Mega Ten, Shaiya, and Vindictus.  All good in their own ways.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My top 3

1. lord of the rings - for the sheer mass of RP players on Landroval

2. Rift - Great pve content game.  I can spend all day defending against zone invasions.

3. dark age of camelot - Still the best PvP...hope the new faction pvp in Rift is just as good.

special honors: Ashen Empires - One of the classics that I played for years, probably the oldest MMO that's still up and running...Older than UO.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Any games that are out will have 50 pages of hate. All the games not out yet will have fewer pages of hate until it comes out then 50 pages of fail and whats wrong with the game and how they should have made the game and when the game will be F2P start up.

So none really, there is just hate here. Lots of pitch forks and ropes here.

They do have a great game list so if you actually want to take the time and look through all of them and research it for yourself to decide what you want to play would be the best choice. I myself am looking forward to GW2 and TESO. Right now there are no games out that have captured me into playing them longer then a few months, Rift had me for the longest at 6 months.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Irus

I think this forum just has a rather large community, so you get a hater for every product.

For instance, I like WoW, Diablo III, and I'm looking forward to GW2 atm.

Yeah but do you spend your time in other game forums bitching about them, cause if you do then you are the type of person adding to the problem.

If you dont camp on other game forums, then you are part of the solution.

I really wish MMORPG would do away with the hate campers. This site could be such a better place, and hopefully someday it reaches that potential.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• teabagteabag Member Posts: 118

DayZ imo. Almost bought D3 and glad we didn't. GW2 did not interest us due to shallow hybrid claases imho atm.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

yeah there are mixed responses but if you look admist the trolls you find a few good posters...

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

If you're looking for what game the forum likes the most I think there is little doubt that it is GW2 right now...THe amount of threads and posts in GW2 the last couple of months pretty much blows anything else away.....Once it releases and the hype dies down, it will rule the roost....After that its whatever is the next big thing, maybe Archeage or something.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

For MMOs the only ones I loved were SWG and WoW(still fighting the urge to go back) .   I also like Salem and Haven & Heath but they don't really play like MMOs.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    All time daoc
    Current tsw beta / gw2 beta
    Future TESO :p & planetside2
  • teabagteabag Member Posts: 118

Heard it all before but this time we are very very careful after what happen to D3.

They only want your moneys and greeds is everywhere online.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Yeah but do you spend your time in other game forums bitching about them, cause if you do then you are the type of person adding to the problem.

If you dont camp on other game forums, then you are part of the solution.

I really wish MMORPG would do away with the hate campers. This site could be such a better place, and hopefully someday it reaches that potential.

Maybe a little bit.

I agree, though.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

There's no game I've played where I didn't find some fun.

There's no game I've played that I didn't think could have been better.

So my opinions of every game fall between "I disliked it, but..." and "I liked it, but..."

I have a hard time recommending games to other people because there are so many subjective variables - what you enjoy, what rubs you the wrong way, what your budget of time and money, what motivates/demotivates you and how the stars align when you first cross paths with another player.

So, all else being equal, I would recommend finding yourself an old-fashioned d20, opening up the "popular game forums" list down on the left side of the screen and just randomly selecting a game.  Try it for a week.  If it doesn't catch your imagination, roll again.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by maplestone

There's no game I've played where I didn't find some fun.

There's no game I've played that I didn't think could have been better.

So my opinions of every game fall between "I disliked it, but..." and "I liked it, but..."

I have a hard time recommending games to other people because there are so many subjective variables - what you enjoy, what rubs you the wrong way, what your budget of time and money, what motivates/demotivates you and how the stars align when you first cross paths with another player.

So, all else being equal, I would recommend finding yourself an old-fashioned d20, opening up the "popular game forums" list down on the left side of the screen and just randomly selecting a game.  Try it for a week.  If it doesn't catch your imagination, roll again.

Excellent post. I have yet to come across a game I truly hate for whatever reason but quite a few that I have fallen in love with. Currently playing EVE again and enjoying it. Using the in-game browser to post this actually (Relaxing with mining right now). I should probably close out since my local just went from 15 to 4 people... Feel like the stoner looking around frantically trying to figure out what I missed when the house is on fire.

As for the OP, I don't think the forums get enough of the gamer passion most of us have in common. For some reason or other, life and all that entails, the negatives come easier to a lot of people. If you dig and keep an open mind though you can see the 'twinkle in their eye', so to speak, certain people have when posting. Just have to pay attention. 

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i like Pong

if you dont like that... TOO BAD you just arent pro enough then tisk tisk tisk...

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Anything thats free to play, and thats doesnt guarantee they wont hen-peck it to death. Alot of the most ardent and negative vocal bashers on this site and leechs, they want someone else to support the title while they call F2P.

And when you read anything about this game just come at it like a gold mine in real life is run. It takes sifting thru 30 tons of dirt/garbage to get an ounce of gold. And now it holds so true for this site, unfortunately. Didnt used to be the case though.

So just sift thru the crap and you can still find some decent comments from fans of the game, (whichever one it may be that youre interesed in). Dont expect great threads, those get filled way to quickly with **** posts.

Been coming here more or less daily for 10 years, and in the last 2 it takes a lot of effort to find any good discussions. honestly I mostly just come for the articles now.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Basically everyone on this forum is not playing a game.. that's why they're here, so they don't like any of the released games.  For me EQ1, DDO and AOC are the games "worth playing".

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I like many games - if i get a list of games since 1985 i may have more than 100 games on that list i like very much and some of them be MMOGs.

Most liked MMOGs:
    Daoc
    SWG (pre NGE)

MMOGs i played that be worth a try:
    AoC
    Daoc
    EVE
    Lotro
    Perfect World
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

Hoping for:
    Mechwarrior Online
    The Secret World
    Archeage
    World of Darkness

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    There are a lot of users here so every game has both fans and detractors, after a while you start to find people who talk sense and those who don't (this will vary from person to person)

If someone who you usually agree with says a game is bad then notice it and do your own research and make your own mind up.

If someone you don't normally agree with says a game is bad then ignore it but do your own research and make your own mind up anyway.
  • Nefarion84Nefarion84 Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Ichmen

i like Pong

if you dont like that... TOO BAD you just arent pro enough then tisk tisk tisk... 

I second this sir!

• Nefarion84Nefarion84 Member Posts: 17

Wow that was a lot of awesome posts, I appreciate it, I just purchased Star Wars because I love story...and love Bioware so we will see how far that gets me. I can see the points made by everyone here...just a lot of people here and everyone has the right to their opinion. :) Rift looked intriguing too