Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Probably the Best Description of TES Online I've heard

iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Came from a commenter at, of all places, IGN:

"

Whenever I play skyrim, I think 'this game is good, but I wish it didn't have all these intricate visual details, and I wish the combat hewed closer to the well worn tropes of the MMO circa 2004'. Finally someone with the vision to implement cartoony graphics and take out the stressful player-driven content to replace it with auto attacks and autotargetting so I can leave the room during fights."

Comments

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by iceman00

"

Whenever I play skyrim, I think 'this game is good, but I wish it didn't have all these intricate visual details, and I wish the combat hewed closer to the well worn tropes of the MMO circa 2004'. Finally someone with the vision to implement cartoony graphics and take out the stressful player-driven content to replace it with auto attacks and autotargetting so I can leave the room during fights."

But thats what the MMO majority want and the way MMOs are supposed to be.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

"

Yup, because we'll actually be leaving the room while fighting in ESO, or GW2, or any game and thats exactly what we want (suprised they dont flag some of these things people write as trolling). Proceed with "sandbox is future" preaching.  Though as a sandbox player as well, I see themeparks are starting to use alot of sandbox elements in their games as of recent.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

"

Yup, because we'll actually be leaving the room while fighting in ESO, or GW2, or any game and thats exactly what we want (suprised they dont flag some of these things people write as trolling). Proceed with "sandbox is future" preaching.  Though as a sandbox player as well, I see themeparks are starting to use alot of sandbox elements in their games as of recent.

Happily it isn't what the majority want anymore or SWTOR would be playing tug-o-war with WoW for subscribers right now, yet we know the truth is the exact opposite. SWTOR is the prime example of the "tired old worn combat" circa 2004' & has failed miserably. 

I'm happy that people are so adamantly against this WoW-Clone version of TESO :)! I sincerely hope developers are finally "getting it" when it comes to diversifying your product.

Look at consoles, almost every single game plays differently from the next, and then when you take a look at MMOs since WoW released they almost all play exactly the same without deviation except for a difference in ArtStyle. Sad to be sure.

I welcome our Sandbox overlords in the years to come :)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120

"

1. The available visuals via video and screenshots (Video footage showing character models and environment) are intricate, attractive, and impressive. Just because they have to use a different engine to make the game function in an MMO environment doesn't mean the graphics won't be intricate. It just won't look exactly like skyrim.

2. Recent MMOs and new MMOs launching in the next few years are definitely shaking up the MMO formula - look at GW2, Neverwinter Nights, TERA supplying things like action-combat, dodging mechanics, weapon-activated abilities, class design surprises, environmental reactivity with abilities and other users, etc.

What has been said about ESO sounds good (weapon-activated abilities, dodging/sprint/crouch, classes that start out as familiar archetypes but can be customized to playstyle, for examples).

3. There aren't going to be any auto-attacks. They've said that.

If someone loves the single player games, no one is stopping them from continuing to play them. There is obviously a demand for a multiplayer game set in the universe.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Ballista

"

1. The available visuals via video and screenshots (Video footage showing character models and environment) are intricate, attractive, and impressive. Just because they have to use a different engine to make the game function in an MMO environment doesn't mean the graphics won't be intricate. It just won't look exactly like skyrim.

2. Recent MMOs and new MMOs launching in the next few years are definitely shaking up the MMO formula - look at GW2, Neverwinter Nights, TERA supplying things like action-combat, dodging mechanics, weapon-activated abilities, class design surprises, environmental reactivity with abilities and other users, etc.

What has been said about ESO sounds good (weapon-activated abilities, dodging/sprint/crouch, classes that start out as familiar archetypes but can be customized to playstyle, for examples).

3. There aren't going to be any auto-attacks. They've said that.

If someone loves the single player games, no one is stopping them from continuing to play them. There is obviously a demand for a multiplayer game set in the universe.

1.)  The game looks like a freakin cartoon.  a very nice pretty cartoon no doubt, but a freakin cartoon.  Whether it was Morrowind, Skyrim, or Oblivion (I'm leaving out the earlier games just because graphics weren't that advanced then), the last thing you could say about any of those games is "this looks like a cartoon."

2.)  I don't think what TESO is doing is all bad.  but they really aren't straying from the beaten path here.  They themselves admit this, because they feel they have to hold the hand of the traditional MMO crowd, or something.

Starting from an archetype and customizing your character is pretty standard stuff.  It's called a talent tree.  Now have most games (a la TOR) mucked up the talent tree mechanic?  Sure. But many games haven't, and it's actually pretty standard MMO fare.  Not sure why it's such a big deal.

3.)  If you have tab targeting, you have auto attacks.  Or are you not familar with what a G series keyboard can do, or anything else that can turn it into an AFK bot?  The only way around this is to make their combat really really tactical.  Yet color me skeptical.

The issue isn't "demand for a multiplayer game in this universe."  If they make a good multiplayer game, I'd play it in a heartbeat.  Yet at the very moment games are starting to move off the beaten path, they are doing their best to not stray too far from it.  That path is a bit old and stale, and not what most fans of the TES universe want.  Being singleplayer has absolutely nothing to do with it.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Can't wait, a dumbed down version of Elder Scrolls for the masses, waiting didn't Skyrim sell over 7 million copies to the masses already ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

"

Yet that same person would bitch about the lag in a skyrim mmorpg.  A bitch will always bitch.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

"

Yet that same person would bitch about the lag in a skyrim mmorpg.  A bitch will always bitch.

Pot, meet kettle.

Fail troll is fail

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

The more I see and hear about this game the more I think that the Devs wanted to make an MMO with X, Y, and Z but the only way they could make it was with the Elder Scrolls IP.  So instead of making a n Elder scrolls MMO they are making MMO they wanted in the elder scrolls world.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

"

Pot, meet kettle.

Fail troll is fail

LOL but fail troll is still troll :D

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

"

Pot, meet kettle.

Fail troll is fail

Poeple who are inclined to complain about every little this and that won't be happy.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

"

Since when are MMOs "supposed" to be auto target and auto attack?  This is a major misconception that has been destroying the MMO industry for years.  You start seeing these more innovative games with non-traditional combat style and what happens?  People start hyping it like crazy.  What happens when everyone sees a new game with the traditional MMO combat style?  They all cry WoW Clone.  Here's two examples of recent games that went the tradtional route.  Rift and SWTOR.  Both are failing.  PyrateLV, your entire comment is completely false.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Leave the room, lol.  okay.  

I read that description and thought it was just as juvenile as reposting it.  

Things that sound silly. "cartoony".  Unless someone's shooting live film, all games are animated , like cartoons are. And therea re a variety of different animation styles.  

After reading a few previws I'm a bit more open to this game.  I love elder scroll but i only play them for a month or two after beating hte main storyline. That's cause the combat is usually (and tradionally) has been attrocious. Clunky, especially with the interface in Skyrim.  So any improvement their is welcome.  

That aside, long term quests are important and looks to be included. To me that's what skyrim does best.  

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Oh, this is a fantasy game? I thought giant mushroom forests and dragons were real.

I think the art work looks fine, but replying to these brain dead childish threads are getting old.

Flame on my little Flamers.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

"

Proceed with "sandbox is future" preaching.

I think the OP is being very accurate, as lets face it, ESO will be a "Stupid game", not as in, the game it self will be poorly created, but that people that play it will be stupid or childish and its sad to see a mature, intelligent series turn out like that. I think we can all agree Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are not games your average 12 year old plays, maybe Skyrim because its more combat oriented, but ESO will be made for Children, it will be rated T at best and thats just disturbing to anyone thats a fan of ES.

And if your not a fan of th ES series, why would you even be defending ESO?? Because you like to have a different opinion about a game simply to go against the majority (Who for once are on the intelligent side of an arguemen about MMO's unlike TOR)???

Also, Can you please link me some post's on these forums where people are "Preaching" that sandbox games are the future?

I think your confusing wanting a sandbox game because its something different than the norm of "Low-intelligence demenading MMOs" with wanting all games to be sandbox that ever come out because all the current MMO's are themeparks. Its not like that, and unless you can find me all these preachy posts your talking about im going to have a hard time beleiving you, because I can certainly show you well articulated posts in defense of Sandbox games that arent overbearing or some MMO-bi-partisan-esque creation as your trying to make it sound like they are.

Seriously though, I would love to see all those posts, and on top of that I would like to point out that Pre-Cu SWG did fine up until the point that they made it like WoW, it had a good player base even with all the bugs and yet they killed it to try and get a piece of the WoW fortune, now that game is dead, so why not just have a sandbox game?

"

Pot, meet kettle.

Fail troll is fail

Poeple who are inclined to complain about every little this and that won't be happy.

I was an avid player of POTBS for 3 years.  I think that establishes my reputation of being able to play games despite GLARING flaws and still thoroughly enjoy myself.  It isn't "every little this and that."

The way people respond, it reminds me of TOR.  Everyone warned the direction TOR was heading in was off a cliff.  The little lemmings claimed it was nitpicking, the game isn't meant for people like you but rather people like us, etc.  Come to think of it, that's how every bad MMO begins its decline.

Originally posted by dontadow

Leave the room, lol.  okay.  

I read that description and thought it was just as juvenile as reposting it.  

Things that sound silly. "cartoony".  Unless someone's shooting live film, all games are animated , like cartoons are. And therea re a variety of different animation styles.  

After reading a few previws I'm a bit more open to this game.  I love elder scroll but i only play them for a month or two after beating hte main storyline. That's cause the combat is usually (and tradionally) has been attrocious. Clunky, especially with the interface in Skyrim.  So any improvement their is welcome.  

That aside, long term quests are important and looks to be included. To me that's what skyrim does best.  

Yes because Morrowind looked a lot like Warcraft.  That's the difference between "cartoony" and "realistic."  Everyone understands fantasy is going to be different, and that things are "animated." 

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

"

I have played MMOs and all the TES games. believe me playing a MMO is way more hard than a SPRG like skyrim as an example. 

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Open world dungeons are pretty awesome, as long as there is open pvp at least.  I haven't heard anything about the pvp yet and that is really the make or break point for any game.  I kind of assume it will be a no consequence pvp system or just instanced pvp since that is what all the new sucky mmorpgs do...

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

"

because even themepark fans are now starting to cry out for sandbox like elements in their MMOS. I blame minecraft and skyrim for that :). stupid sandbox games that are now inlfuencing my wow clones :(

open world pvp? in this game? No chance at all. think you have more chance of the game featuring full frontal nudity and second life style orgies than open pvp.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

"

Pot, meet kettle.

Fail troll is fail

Gotta agree with ya.

This site is always about the glass being half empty. There is always room for constructive criticism. I wouldnt call what happens around these parts as such.

As far a GFX....not everyone can own a 2k plus PC. I think the GFX allows it to run on less beefier machines. I would imagine a bunch of players in the same area, with the amount of detail in the SP version, could probably cripple even the best rigs.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

"

As of E3 there will be NO auto attack...so far.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by zaylin

"

As of E3 there will be NO auto attack...so far.

I guess next you will be telling us the Germans didnt bomb Pearl Harbor. image

Spamming basic attack actually gets old IMO. Would be better using a controller.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

"

Happily it isn't what the majority want anymore or SWTOR would be playing tug-o-war with WoW for subscribers right now, yet we know the truth is the exact opposite. SWTOR is the prime example of the "tired old worn combat" circa 2004' & has failed miserably. 

I'm happy that people are so adamantly against this WoW-Clone version of TESO :)! I sincerely hope developers are finally "getting it" when it comes to diversifying your product.

Look at consoles, almost every single game plays differently from the next, and then when you take a look at MMOs since WoW released they almost all play exactly the same without deviation except for a difference in ArtStyle. Sad to be sure.

I welcome our Sandbox overlords in the years to come :)!

I don't think many are against the WoW-Clones. People still enjoy everything about them and the biggest reason TOR is losing subscribers is because end game content is lacking. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Drakxii

The more I see and hear about this game the more I think that the Devs wanted to make an MMO with X, Y, and Z but the only way they could make it was with the Elder Scrolls IP.  So instead of making a n Elder scrolls MMO they are making MMO they wanted in the elder scrolls world.

I thnk it's safer to say that ZeniMedia wanted to get into the MMO market, and like any good business they understood that original IP's in this market tend to have a hard time differentiating themselves from the crowd.

What people who keep telling everyone that doesn't like what they're hearing don't seem to get is that ESO is only going to stand out from the crowd because it's ES, and not because it offers anything different from what you get in any other MMO; which is exactly what ZeniMedia is shooting for anyways.

Rift is still just your a typical themepark, it only sets itself apart from the pack because of the rate of content release, which is the route Trion went for because they now full well that the game isn't a deviation from from what you can find in other MMO's.  Trion had a target audience in mind, the typical mmo gamer who's tired of waiting for new content and then having to play for that content, so they made an MMO that plays just like every MMO that the typical MMO gamer is familliar with but gives them new content on a regular basis without making them pay for it. 

ZeniOnline stated very clearly who they're targetting, the typical MMO gamer.  They are not hiding that that is who they want ESO to appeal to.  They chose the ES name because it already has market awareness, and if you're going to make a typical themepark MMO you either need an IP people are familliar with or you need to make an MMO that isn't a typical themepark.

Why people on these forums insist on telling everyone that it's not going to be a typical themepark MMO is beyond me.  ZeniOnline made it very clear, saying otherwise is entirely contradictory to what the company making the game is saying. 

It's a typical themapark MMO, and that's what the guy in the article was saying. 

Or do I also have to explain the point of satire to some of you?