Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: You Got Elder Scrolls in my MMO

Comments

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

To fix:

1) Remove tabbed targeting along with auto-aim and curving projectiles

2) Put dodge and block under movement keybinds instead of slottable skills

3) Make the dodge mechanic relate to the location of your character instead of a percentage mitigation of damage

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Do we really have to know all this 2-3-4 years in advance?

What year is the target release date anyway?

2013, as I recall.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Nice write up Bill.

From hitting a rock bottom low after the first announcements, this game is starting to climb up rapidly again on my wish list.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I still can't help but wish that they went with a Fallout MMO.  I am getting a lil tired of mages and archers.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

A

GREE

'D

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by Blasphim

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I still can't help but wish that they went with a Fallout MMO.  I am getting a lil tired of mages and archers.

You should try The Secret World. It's not bad. Not great, but not bad. Worth 30 days play at least for the content. No mages and archers. :D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• HallowelHallowel Member Posts: 42

I just hope it won't be "forced" PvP - I don't PvP and really do not want to be out in the world doing my thing and have to worry about being attacked by PvPers.

~Ra Hallowel

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Ironman2000

Just seems to me as of late, MMORPG.COM is on board with anything that will give them ad revenue or possible ad revenue in the future, instead of giving honest thoughts and impressions on what is a good current or upcoming game.  Just sayin....

ok, well tell us what isn't a good game? Because I bet dollars to donuts you will find people who think games you dislike ARE good games.

perhaps the mmorpg.com reviewers could be a little more open to giving negative criticsim in a constructive way but I sense that there is a contingent of angry gamers who won't be happy until they see people opening up their emotional veins and letting their issues bleed out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by Ironman2000

Just seems to me as of late, MMORPG.COM is on board with anything that will give them ad revenue or possible ad revenue in the future, instead of giving honest thoughts and impressions on what is a good current or upcoming game.  Just sayin....

Nah. This article was writen to save a little face from the podcast that was release ealier this week. lol

The podcast created a HUGE negative buzz. And you cannot have any negative buzzing before your game is even in beta. Especially a mmo. :D

That's my opinion at least.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Even if they couldn't get the gameplay right due to not having skilled programmers on their team, they could have at least gone with a classless system.  I'm not fond of levels either, but at least I respect the ideas of TES.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

All i got to say is that if they think it's not possible to make an mmo like skyrim all i got to say is look at mortal online yep sure impossible lol.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Even if they couldn't get the gameplay right due to not having skilled programmers on their team, they could have at least gone with a classless system.  I'm not fond of levels either, but at least I respect the ideas of TES.

Its all about developmental control and direction. Wrapping things up in nice little boxes that the devs have complete domination over

A Freeform class-less skill based system is too hard for Devs to control and contain. Too many variables.

Classes with defined skills lets the devs have complete regulation over what content is in that classes "box". Add levels and you control not only the what, but the when

Same with the Race=Faction Locks. Everything for that Faction and its corresponding Races is neatly contained and regulated in that Faction specific area/zone...box.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

You absolutely can't take away the player freedom of characters choises, Race, Faction, Skills without destroying this IP. Elderscrolls isn't themepark so why make TESO one?

I have lived the pain of servers deserting in Themeparks like AoC, WAR, Rift, SWtOR. For me it is a sign that people getting more and more tired of WoW clones. So why make a new one.

Sigh.

• CharSolCharSol Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Distopia

This would be the case in any MMO sandbox or not. In Skyrim the world levels along with you and only you. IN an MMO the only way to do that would be heavy use of phasing, this would be very unpopular with the MMO crowd.

I agree that it would most likely be unpopular and so unlikely to happen and I also agree that it is quite possible to vastly outlevel content in Skyrim and make it much easier than intended.  I consider the balance of Skyrim to be a work in progress which is part of the reason I prefer to mod the difficulty.  I think they have the right idea though with having enemies level within a certain threshold and having a different ratio of standard and mini-boss enemies as you begin to outlevel the content so that you can in theory go anywhere at any level although you will find some places much easier and others much harder.  I know that plenty of other people hate this aspect though. 

Although this is not a perfect system it still creates an illusion of freedom and choice and if they are not truly going to give me freedom I would at least want them to trick me into believing that I have it.  I thought that fallen earth felt like it had a somewhat more open world and levelling system although it still followed some of the more typical conventions it at least let you feel like you had more choice in where you could go.  It's just a shame that it was so crude, performed badly at first and I am not really a fan of post-apocalyptic settings.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I was really sceptic when I first heard about this game, but this artical was really interesting.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• TawaxyonTawaxyon Member CommonPosts: 34

I do not want.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Cool, but there's already World of Warcraft for one half of these features, and a free game that's coming out called Guild Wars 2, with the other half. Why would I pay for the same old?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Distopia

This would be the case in any MMO sandbox or not. In Skyrim the world levels along with you and only you. IN an MMO the only way to do that would be heavy use of phasing, this would be very unpopular with the MMO crowd.

They had already said they are using phasing in the game world to cater to their intent of pushing the story as a character centric thing. Characters not on the same state of progress won't see the same things.

Your fear already came to pass. What's your next concern?

Aside from that. Not everything in Skyrim arbitrarily scaled with you and one could do an even better job of creating tiers in that regard for creature types and difficulty. You pan them out according to average amount of aggression, strength, and intelligence, grouping them into sections that are least to most challenging, and seed them into territories geographically.

If this wasn't a linear progression game, which I knoe Elder scrolls has always had a core function of linear progression, but they could level off how much vertical progression there is in favor of horizontal progression similar to Planetside. Rather than jumping in attack damage, they can learn and adapt new techniques, counterattacks, spell combinations/tweaks, etc.

Then enemy difficulty is measured on scale of their own challenge instead of arbitrary spikes in stats while behaving in the the exact same way.

This lets the world become more open to exploring without losing a good difficulty range in enemies, maintains a sense of player growth and progression without having to make numbers constantly bigger, and helps to create a much more believable world in line with how the traditional Elder Scrolls titles get treated. 

And you can't argue that. They may not do that great a job of it, but a design goal they talk about every time with a new title is pushing the believability and 'life' in a world.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

ill be happy as long as the elves dont look like effing aliens :X

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

All I am seeing here is the MMORPG hype machine now start to turn. You even tried to make Tera sound like a decent game and all you did here was contradict yourself continually....by trying to state this game is more like TES while still pointing out things in this game that is nothing like TES.

TES is a extrodinary series of games more because of its GAMEPLAY than anything else and all we are getting here so far is sub standard MMORPG gameplay in its place.

This is no more TES than Mario Cart is Super Mario Bros.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Loke666

Well, I don't think ESO is so bad as many Skyrim fans fear but I still din't hear why I should play it instead of Guildwars 2 which shares those features...

Well there are some very key differences in the two.  GW2 does not have the combat system/ 3 faction open world pvp (and dont try to say WvW is open world, though WvW is badass)/ ES style exploration/ or public dungeons, that ESO has released info on.  I'll still be playing GW2 when ESO comes out but ill be playing both for different reasons

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Well, I don't think ESO is so bad as many Skyrim fans fear but I still din't hear why I should play it instead of Guildwars 2 which shares those features...

Well there are some very key differences in the two.  GW2 does not have the combat system/ 3 faction open world pvp (and dont try to say WvW is open world, though WvW is badass)/ ES style exploration/ or public dungeons, that ESO has released info on.  I'll still be playing GW2 when ESO comes out but ill be playing both for different reasons

So far, the combat system in TESO seems like a direct copy of GW2. You get a smaller number of abilities on the actionbar. Abilities are weapon dependent and you get utility and elite (ultimate) skills. You can combine abilities with other classes and you get to switch abilities between combat at will. The combat itself is action oriented, just like GW2's.

From what I understand, there is going to be no 3 faction world PvP. There is going to be a zone (Cyrodiil, I believe) for 3 faction PvP. Kind of like WvWvW in GW2. The zone may not reset like WvWvW does but since the reset happens once every 2 weeks, it's not a huge deal. Also I prefer GW2's matching server approach. It guarantees that no one server or faction will dominate the other two. That's my personal preference though. "Fair" PvP is much more fun, in my opinion.

GW2 has exploration, puzzles and public dungeons as well.

Originally posted by Lesrach

You absolutely can't take away the player freedom of characters choises, Race, Faction, Skills without destroying this IP. Elderscrolls isn't themepark so why make TESO one?

I have lived the pain of servers deserting in Themeparks like AoC, WAR, Rift, SWtOR. For me it is a sign that people getting more and more tired of WoW clones. So why make a new one.

Sigh.

Why bother even commenting this? Yes they can add classes to an ES title, and skills, and make it a themepark MMO.  If its not your cup of tea too bad dont play it, but if your stating its the same old **** we've been drinking for the past years your straight on wrong, and haven't bothered to look into it.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by heartless

So far, the combat system in TESO seems like a direct copy of GW2. You get a smaller number of abilities on the actionbar. Abilities are weapon dependent and you get utility and elite (ultimate) skills. You can combine abilities with other classes and you get to switch abilities between combat at will. The combat itself is action oriented, just like GW2's.

From what I understand, there is going to be no 3 faction world PvP. There is going to be a zone (Cyrodiil, I believe) for 3 faction PvP. Kind of like WvWvW in GW2. The zone may not reset like WvWvW does but since the reset happens once every 2 weeks, it's not a huge deal. Also I prefer GW2's matching server approach. It guarantees that no one server or faction will dominate the other two. That's my personal preference though. "Fair" PvP is much more fun, in my opinion.

I have a feeling it will be more like DAOC. 1 Faction vs Faction vs Faction zone (Cyrodiil) and then the 3 Faction specific PvE zones

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by heartless

Allow me to correct you here since I've been following GW2 and ESO since info has started pouring out.  TESO will have very different combat from GW2, you can sneak, manually block, and strike all similar to an ES fashion.  6 Abilities on hotbar, and there will be partner combo's similar to GW2's.   

3 faction Open world pvp will be present in ESO, vs. the instanced map ment for GW2's WvW (which by the way will still be awesome)  Strongholds such as Kvatch will be capturable by any faction, and holding territory will be key. 

According to Matt Firor they want to keep that open world exploration sense from all the ES titles, where you can run around onto the peak of a mountain to seek something, or on the way to a zone go into a nearby cave.  All of these are key elements that make an ES title, an ES title.

Public dungeons in ESO are being done similar to GW2, in the sense that they really want to put the mmo feel back into the genre, and incourage social interaction between players.  Something that will also be present in ESO which I enjoy is that credit is given to anyone who participates, there will always be reasons to help, or sabotage someones current activity.  This is also present in GW2's world with the dynamic event system in terms of helping others and getting credit.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL