Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: To Be Unveiled as SOE Title at E3

13»

Comments

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

ya rember people tend to not place nice !!!! 

so be ready for war 

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

if they include a luck based revival system im not playing ~.~

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

[edit]: Um, SOE did NOT make this title. It was made by a Korean Developer: Video

More Videos

Just because SOE is PUBLISHING the title doesn't mean they have any impact on its gameplay. It depends on the contract, and I believe they'll add options to remove blood & gore, but besides from that I doubt SOE is allowed really any input.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

SOE has some pretty good games really (EQ, VG, EQ2), it just feels like they would be better if someone else was in charge of them......SOE was the original king of nickle and diming their customers (a title I think Blizzard has taken over for awhile now)....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

as stated by other people,

SOE is the publisher, not the developer for 2 of the games they talked about at E3

Wizardry Online

Developer:  Headlock Inc  http://www.headlock.jp/english/

Bullet Run

Developer: German studio Acony Games http://www.aconygames.com/#/home

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Permadeath will only attract a good number of players if there is some other form a perminant progression that goes along side it.

In other words, if there isn't something you keep when you lose a character e.g. stats, spells, items, buffs, unlocked venders and/or locations... this game will definately fail to be a major contender compared to others.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Another so-called free to play piece of garbage. Garbage  because it really won't BE free.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• RyphtRypht Member UncommonPosts: 39

rest in peace wizardry.  we never got to know you, but with the looming shadow of soe, you'll never prosper.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by gilgamesh42

sony sucks when it comes to f2p by sucks i mean they lie  none of there f2p games are free to play they are extended trials 

What do you want,a company to make a game that you download for you to play totally free with everything someone else pays money for? Get real,all of thier F2P ARE F2P.Just because someone who plays alongside you pays a monthly subscription for more of the game and can use better versions of spells and weapons they find/make dosn't make it not free to play.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

The character designs need major work.  Get rid of those cute looking small characters and the anime style of the others and we'll talk.  

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by gilgamesh42

sony sucks when it comes to f2p by sucks i mean they lie  none of there f2p games are free to play they are extended trials 

What do you want,a company to make a game that you download for you to play totally free with everything someone else pays money for? Get real,all of thier F2P ARE F2P.Just because someone who plays alongside you pays a monthly subscription for more of the game and can use better versions of spells and weapons they find/make dosn't make it not free to play.

no..dont know about their other titles version of F2P, but EQ2 is as much of a P2P as it always was, the only diffrence now is, that newcomers can get online for more than 14 days to try the game - all old expansions were already free before the "F2P" conversion, all expansione were included in the newest expansion, which still costs money today.

there is next to no diffrence from the current "F2P", from the old P2P, except now they are all of a sudden exuced to put alot more into the cash shop, rather than the game itself

• johnnyblancojohnnyblanco Member Posts: 11

This game is going to be incredibly hard core as this website hasn't updated its' content in 7 days and videos of this game are plastered all over the net. The thing that is really bad about this game is there's permadeth. Meaning if you die in the dungeon and you're a high level character you have a chance of dying for good. Now that sucks but you can also offer items as favor to increase your chance of resurrection (instead of 50% offer up some gold to raise it to 90%).

Also there's open PvP and I ain't really digging this as I want to play the game not get into fights with higher level jerks. Someone can just walk up to you and attack you and that's that.. and that's going to be kinda crappy if the high level characters do this and the lower level characters suffer for it.

All in all I want to play this game as it looks REALLY good.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    So any news on this?
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Nadia

as stated by other people,

SOE is the publisher, not the developer for 2 of the games they talked about at E3

Wizardry Online

Developer:  Headlock Inc  http://www.headlock.jp/english/

Bullet Run

Developer: German studio Acony Games http://www.aconygames.com/#/home

SOE (Platform Publishing) also published Pirates of the Burning Sea by Flying Lab Software.

And honestly, I could have done better myself.  Incompetent is a good word for their handling of it.

They made a complete mess of the whole thing and then tried to lie to cover it.

FLS had to step in and take over some areas.

They really had no idea.

And if ever you find a copy of PotBS from the Spanish release you should contact FLS at once.

SOE claimed it was done.  FLS paid for it.

Yet they were never able produce so much as a screen shot of the box to prove it.  Neither can anyone else.

FLS is "pretty sure" it got done.  Hmmmm..... ?????

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

SOE (Platform Publishing) also published Pirates of the Burning Sea by Flying Lab Software.

And honestly, I could have done better myself.  Incompetent is a good word for their handling of it.

PotBS is a good comparison but I was unaware of SOE doing development for them

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=news/article&article_id=10349

1) We keep complete ownership of Pirates of the Burning Sea.
    2) We have no interference from SOE on the development/ideas of the game.
    3) Because we financed Pirates ourselves, we keep most of the revenues so we stay strong and independent.
    4) The contract they gave us actually says what we agreed to verbally.

Originally posted by Varking
    So any news on this?

E3 "hands on" impressions

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/e3-2012-wizardry-online-hands-on/

game is out in Japan now and due for US/EU next year 2013

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by EndDream
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Even SOE recognizes you can't do permadeath in a MMO with current state of internet connections, so if you were counting on that feature you can forget it.

As to a MMO world strictly of dungeons, that would get very old fast.

The fastest selling PC game ever that was released last month disagrees.

Yeah, and in that game permadeath is an option and not forced on everyone. I can guarantee that if it was forced permadeath you would alienate the vast majority of those customers.

Having a permadeath server? Sure why not....

Having permadeath for everyone? Say goodbye to the majority of your potential subscribers. 

The game isn't targetted at WoW type players.  It's targetted at hardcore players who enjoy the thrill of permadeath/player looting and open pvp, with crazy dungeon mazes thrown in.  The game is doing quite well in Japan.   There is a large section of gamers (who some falsely claim is a vocal minority) that enjoys this type of experience.  This kind of player likes the rush of adrehnaline that they get when fighting in a game like EVE where you put it all on the line.  No one gets adhrenaline rushes playing WoW, unless they are some sort of ubercoward.   

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Gyrus

PotBS is a good comparison but I was unaware of SOE doing development for them

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=news/article&article_id=10349

1) We keep complete ownership of Pirates of the Burning Sea.
    2) We have no interference from SOE on the development/ideas of the game.
    3) Because we financed Pirates ourselves, we keep most of the revenues so we stay strong and independent.
    4) The contract they gave us actually says what we agreed to verbally.

So glad you posted that article - but let's look a little closer at it and what SOE 'delivered' as a result?

Reading further on:

Here’s exactly what SOE brings to this that we want:

1) Strong distribution: We want Pirates of the Burning Sea to be in every retail store that carries games. SOE has that down cold.
    2) Great localization process: We really want a simultaneous launch in Europe and the US because we think it could do as well over there as over here. Working with SOE gives us the best chance of making that happen.
    3) Enthusiasm: I really can’t stress this enough. You can write a contract to say anything you want about how much work each party will do, but thats nothing compared to having your partners genuinely excited to work with you, from the marketing people to the programmers to the executives. And boy, are they excited. (You would be, too, if a great game fell into your lap!)
    4) Clockwork process: We want to launch Pirates this fall. The game is in great shape and we’re going into large-scale beta testing this week. To hit a fall launch date, we needed a partner who knows the entire process inside and out, someone who can just start turning the crank and making it happen.

We had two other paths to launching this fall: going it alone and working with another independent outfit we’ve been spending time with. Both of these were good options in general (especially the partnership approach, as we really like those guys). But for either of those approaches to work for a fall launch, everything would have to go right the first time and we’d still need some luck. By working with SOE we know it’ll just happen.

1) SOE made a complete mess of distribution.  Even in the US.  Canada was patchy... and as for Europe?  Some outlets in Austria 'released' the game two weeks before launch.  The UK release was via an unheard of online ordering house only.  Users in Belgium, Denmark and the western parts of Germany were left with nothing.  Spain never had a release that anyone can prove.  SOE say it did happen, but apparently everyone works for free in Spain and they cannot write either since SOE never produced anything solid to varify this.  At the very least there should have been invoices from printers and trucking companies?  Apparently not.

Also, let's not forget about Australia and New Zealand which were left out of the SOE contract.  We were never able to get this 100% nailed down but initially we were told by FLS that SOE told them they couldn't cover there?  Odd really, since IIRC games like Vangard were on the shelves badged as SOE?

2) I covered this - but SOE made a complete mess of this.  They sub-contracted out the work and then washed their hands of it.  If you want I can dig up the name of the company they subbed it out to - it's all in the PotBS forum here on MMORPG.com.

3) Yeah, Platform Publishing really cared... not.  PP was pushing Gods and Heroes at the time.  GnH died in October 2007 (dates?) which should have left PP with one AAA title to promote.  Yet 4 months later the Platform Publishing home page was still promoting GnH and PotBS was no where to be found?  It was the PotBS customers who pointed this out to FLS more than two weeks after release.

4) The initial launch date was missed.  Even FLS was left in the dark.  SOE lied about the reasons too - forgetting many 'gamers' now are in fact business men and women who actually work in distribution / marketing / sales.

IIRC there were also issues with the SOE launcher and FLS had to step in and rescue them on that one too.

Honestly, I would like to think that they have learnt from this and changed... but IIRC that's what someone said when FLS announced they were going with SOE too...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Wizardy Vs Elder Scrolls round II

I don't get it.  They aren't even remotely similar and aren't made for the same types of player.  Elder Scroll games are about exploring a massive world and doing what you feel like doing.  Wizardry games are about exploring a horrible maze and trying not to get killed at every turn. 

You should try Wizardy 8 ,its still really good "open world" RPG.

or

ES Arena which is a maze.

Anyways, what i mean is , back in the day when  Bethesha used to do some sports games and how Peterson and Lakshman was not  taken seriously about their new RPG project  by  Sir-Tech guys and many others.

Everybody knows how that ended but now its like in the old days,again,which is nice.

looks cool.  I put probably 200 hours into Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge.  Now that was an amazing and challenging game for it's time.  I never played 8 though. 

Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge was the shit!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Oh stop it, this game will hit with a loud thud once people get ganked a few times and have to start over with a new character.  It really has nothing to do with the original wizardry.

Any game that has permadeath immediately becomes a support nightmare hence good luck with contacting a GM, there won't be any. 

This game will have very little to do with skill, it will all about how much you spent on gear.  So much for a challenge, it will be just how deep your pocketbook is.  

Games like this fail in the western market.  They should just rename it to Gank City, it would be more appropriate.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

If the game is fun and it offers excitement its a hit. It surely is something different in the market nowdays with all these wow-clones with safe walls. The permadeath system is build in an intresting way its not like u die and u died. One thing is certain.Those that will play it will not get bored even for 1 moment while doing dungeons or pvp or even do simple fights with mobs in the wilds since their own life is at stakes.

I dont get one thing.Why some ppl are bashing it. Does anyone force them to play it?