Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are Tera's sub numbers so far?

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I have no idea about numbers but i rolled on recommended pve and high pop pvp servers.  The recommended server I see the occasional peeps running around but on the high pop pvp server it's nice because there's a lot of folks.  It's good to see peeps running around.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Sadly the game is dying. 75% of the players in my guild have given up. Most smaller to medium guilds are looking for mergers. The lfg tool needs ages to create a group. Creating your own group is nearly impossble.

I think the reasons are:

- Not enough end game content. 2 instances just doesn't cut it.

- No PvP arenas or objectives.

- Nothing to explore, everything has been seen once you hit max level.

- Crafting is an unbelievable grind. Reputation farming is an unbelievable grind.

- 1 tank, 6 dps and 2 healer classes with a tank and a healer being mandatory for every group. Exactly...

- Server crashes, maintenance on sunday (n1 frogster), bugs and exploits still around

--> No reason to continue

I like the game but sub numbers are falling like crazy.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Not sure, waiting for an EME statement.  Estimate moar.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Inf666

Sadly the game is dying. 75% of the players in my guild have given up. Most smaller to medium guilds are looking for mergers. The lfg tool needs ages to create a group. Creating your own group is nearly impossble.

I think the reasons are:

- Crafting is an unbelievable grind. Reputation farming is an unbelievable grind.

- 1 tank, 6 dps and 2 healer classes with a tank and a healer being mandatory for every group. Exactly...

- Server crashes, maintenance on sunday (n1 frogster), bugs and exploits still around

I'm going to disagree with you. Game is not "dying'.

What's happening is that all the players who tried it "just because" and all the players who zoomed to cap and have nothing to do are of coruse leaving. This is natural and "ok".

I noticed that the Dragonfall pvp server is now high and a third pvp server is now usually on high. My guess is that part of this is due to new players and part of this is due to migrating players.

The game as it stands now is a niche game and by it's nature should have a smaller population than a "super mmo".

I have no doubt that a good amount of your guildies aren't logging in. But that's falls in line with general mmo expectations.

LOTRO had the exact same thing over the course of years. The population swelled then fell and then people started screaming "it's dying, my guild isn't logging in" and all of  a sudden population swelled with Moria and then the cycle continuted.

Let's not go shouting hyperbole and getting all hysterical. I'm bet for every person who drops (as they should) there is a person who is planning on being their for a while.

I know for myself I subbed 3 months and if people migrate or leave i will transfer to a nice high population server. If Enmasse/Bluehole can be reasonably profitable with a niche game then for my taste it is win/win.

I would say that there are too many pvE servers and they should merge the recommended ones. I personally would love that as I prefer high population servers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by teakbois

So how does NA have a playerbase so much larger than EUs?

NA population is always significantly larger than EU population.

However, the VGchartz numbers cant be trusted, take this example: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49494/rift/

Rift clearly has sold more than 500k copies

I looked at rift right away after being linked to the site and then decided to look at D3 and yeah both seem way off..

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24178/diablo-iii/  2.09million ...lol.

doesn't this site only attempt to estimate box sales anyway? most of diablo 3 was probably digital download and im sure Rift had a good portion difital as well.

This.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Draemos

If I had to guess I'd say between 150-300k.  It isn't suffering from the 1-month massive fallout that most games do though.

I do hope it grows from what is currently a modest base. The game deserves it (even through frogster doesn't for us EU customers).

The foundations are there, great engine, great graphics, and great gameplay. It just needs activities, more battlegrounds, more accessible and tiered progression, more interesting PVP and PVE activities, some class balance tweaks.

The enchanting system is pure bleeding eyes korean pain and the dungeons are getting repetitive. They need to change that somehow for us non-asians.

It just needs more bits and pieces added on; with a MMO foundation this solid, it would be a shame to not give Tera everything it needs to thrive and grow.

OK this post gave me the biggest laugh yet over the whole Tera thing. 

Like half of what you listed is what the Korean players were asking for more than a year ago and were never given.

Hey but who knows maybe in 100 years or so when they re-release it as a brand new game on Mars they will finally have learned to listen to what the players are asking for...

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think the reasons are:

Must be Europe, In NA when I play I see people in every town I go through and I am only in my upper 30s yet. And I am not on one of the servers that has a heavy pop. I am on a recommended. Also, there still seems to be enough people in every zone I go though for 2 or 3 channels to exist. Our guild is getting a couple new recruits every day and there is a suprising number of Europeans that I have run into personally. Seems people are leaving frogster more than they are leaving TERA.

The only problem I see right now is that lancers, currently the only tank as far as LFD goes, has a couple of bugs. one with blocking and the other with threat from the shout. Those are no small problems and it is making even lancers scarce and that is not good.

But that is the only big concern I can think of. Otherwise the game appears to be going strong if small for being 1 month out of the chute.

All die, so die well.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I just started about 2 weeks ago and noticed the server (Dragonfall PVE server) has gone from medium to high population now, the newbie area is always full and so is the city, but hey its only the 1st month. The rest of the areas are usually packed at peak hours, so it is nice seeing a mmo full of players running around and chatting up a storm in game.

I was impressed on how many players are at least trying the game out here in the states, especially classified as a asian grinder. I noticed the eastern and western influrence in this game, you can see it in the mecahnics and artstyle.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm going to disagree with you. Game is not "dying'.

What's happening is that all the players who tried it "just because" and all the players who zoomed to cap and have nothing to do are of coruse leaving. This is natural and "ok".

I noticed that the Dragonfall pvp server is now high and a third pvp server is now usually on high. My guess is that part of this is due to new players and part of this is due to migrating players.

The game as it stands now is a niche game and by it's nature should have a smaller population than a "super mmo".

I have no doubt that a good amount of your guildies aren't logging in. But that's falls in line with general mmo expectations.

LOTRO had the exact same thing over the course of years. The population swelled then fell and then people started screaming "it's dying, my guild isn't logging in" and all of  a sudden population swelled with Moria and then the cycle continuted.

Let's not go shouting hyperbole and getting all hysterical. I'm bet for every person who drops (as they should) there is a person who is planning on being their for a while.

I know for myself I subbed 3 months and if people migrate or leave i will transfer to a nice high population server. If Enmasse/Bluehole can be reasonably profitable with a niche game then for my taste it is win/win.

I would say that there are too many pvE servers and they should merge the recommended ones. I personally would love that as I prefer high population servers.

I do understand that a lot of players unsub after the first few months because of 'play testing' but I do believe that the trend will not stop even after that. The problem is that you need to be motivated to stay in the game after max level. At least I do. I need some kind of progression. A reason to continue other than just making my gold number higher or out of boredom.

Currently there is virtually no progression or reason to progress after max level which causes a lot of players to unsub after getting to 60. Not because the game mechanics are bad but because there is no reason to stay. Sure a lot of players roll a twink or new players join but in the end this just creates a big player fluctuation and not a healthy max level player environment.

What you want is players actively playing their max level toon. This is what keeps the game alive. I have been in the instance matching cue for balders temple for 40 minutes now as a single sorc. The group matching spans 4 servers (EU DE servers). In recent weeks the time has been creeping up a lot. On occasion I had to wait for over 1,5h to get a group. How is that not dying?

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

I do understand that a lot of players unsub after the first few months because of 'play testing' but I do believe that the trend will not stop even after that. The problem is that you need to be motivated to stay in the game after max level. At least I do. I need some kind of progression. A reason to continue other than just making my gold number higher or out of boredom.

Currently there is virtually no progression or reason to progress after max level which causes a lot of players to unsub after getting to 60. Not because the game mechanics are bad but because there is no reason to stay. Sure a lot of players roll a twink or new players join but in the end this just creates a big player fluctuation and not a healthy max level player environment.

What you want is players actively playing their max level toon. This is what keeps the game alive. I have been in the instance matching cue for balders temple for 40 minutes now as a single sorc. The group matching spans 4 servers (EU DE servers). In recent weeks the time has been creeping up a lot. On occasion I had to wait for over 1,5h to get a group. How is that not dying?

DPS always have long queue because of low tank population. The lancer who do make it to 60 find them boring and change out for a dps alt thus less and less lancer makes longer and longer queue time. You can have an explosion in population but if no one goes lancer your queue time will only increase as more lvl 60 queue are queing and  making the dps to lancer ration even larger. So in theory the game is growing just getting too much dps and making your queue time longer. When a tank has to wait a logn time for queue thats when the game is dying.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

From my impression the game started with a relatively low population and it's going down. There was a recent spike due to Amazon selling the game for half off.(within 2 weeks of release, wha?)

I think the game defaults to have 3 channels. Channel 1 can be medium and there will still be 2 and 3. When 1 gets high there is a 4.

On Dragonfall there is always people on the starter island. I'm guessing a significant portion is bored higher levels that are just farting around and trolling.

I believe there are 4 servers with "high" population, 3 of which are PvP. I also believe due to huge snafus with the subscription/billing they gave quite a few people some extra playtime, so the free month's ending has been delay some. Give it two or three weeks till the influx from Amazon dies down to really tell.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

I just feel this game could go far if they are willing to consistenly grow and repair the gameplay and bugs. Not any 'killler'  in any way though. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Not huge numbers, but like some other people said - this game does not suffer from mass quits - precisely because it was not hyped and 'merketted' to death.

It can sustain numbers or if game will develop in good direction - then even grow.

That's why it is better approach IMHO. 

After all - does it care if game have 200 k subs or 1 mln subs for player?  

I think it does matter if servers you playing on have good population, who cares if there is 10 or 80 servers?

Originally posted by teakbois

So how does NA have a playerbase so much larger than EUs?

NA population is always significantly larger than EU population.

However, the VGchartz numbers cant be trusted, take this example: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49494/rift/

Rift clearly has sold more than 500k copies

I looked at rift right away after being linked to the site and then decided to look at D3 and yeah both seem way off..

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24178/diablo-iii/  2.09million ...lol.

VgChartz is unreliable tbh.

They only have boxed copies and even then they don't have info from smaller retailers + no info from some of Europe countries.

No digital sales AT ALL as well.

I would not be using VgChartz to anything more than watching a trends or for directly comparing prequel to sequel maybe if they released relatively close to each other, etc 

Especially for mmorpg's and for PC games this site is not really good.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by fenistil

Not huge numbers, but like some other people said - this game does not suffer from mass quits - precisely because it was not hyped and 'merketted' to death.

It can sustain numbers or if game will develop in good direction - then even grow.

I think it does matter if servers you playing on have good population, who cares if there is 10 or 80 servers?

I think the driving force behind subscription number threads is whether the game has a future, and if that future will be free to play.

If En Masse is financially viable with 4 or 5 servers with decent pop, it doesn't matter. It'd be my guess that it's a slow bleeding death with that low of a pop though.

Originally posted by Terronte

I think the driving force behind subscription number threads is whether the game has a future, and if that future will be free to play.

If En Masse is financially viable with 4 or 5 servers with decent pop, it doesn't matter. It'd be my guess that it's a slow bleeding death with that low of a pop though.

People have been saing games have been dying since "since".

Games eventually find their equilibrium.

Warhammer is not dead as there are die hard players who play it. same with Mortal Online and Dark Fall and both those games had problems.

AoC didn't die and after f2p DDO was resurrected.

My guess is that Tera will maintaine the pvp servers as the "end game" pve game doesn't really have much at the moment.

The game will lose subs and level out, the game will eventually go f2p with a small but dedicated community.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Agreed.

On the other hand it left you with bascially one game only - WoW.

As for 'does game has future' - it all depends imo how big sub drop there is.

Tera did not suffer big sub loss - so it might have a future - also as P2P for some time.

Agreed though that if someone don't like f2p / freemium then playing anything nowadays it is a gamble. 

One of the reasons I am reluctant to even start playing many mmorpg's if I feel that it will go f2p soon. I don't like this model and I don't like to play mmorpg short-term - so current mmorpg market is quite bad for me.

Tera does have a chance as p2p though imo.  It will depend on how fast and how good PvE content will be introduced there. 

Slighty off-topic, but I wonder when there'll be company that will try to go p2p and f2p / freemium depend on servers mixed model.

Not freemium on all servers, but some servers pure p2p and some freemium or f2p.

SOE tried that, but their exectuion was totally horrible.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Agreed.

On the other hand it left you with bascially one game only - WoW.

Tera did not suffer big sub loss - so it might have a future - also as P2P for some time.

Agreed though that if someone don't like f2p / freemium then playing anything nowadays it is a gamble. 

One of the reasons I am reluctant to even start playing many mmorpg's if I feel that it will go f2p soon. I don't like this model and I don't like to play mmorpg short-term - so current mmorpg market is quite bad for me.

Tera does have a chance as p2p though imo.  It will depend on how fast and how good PvE content will be introduced there. 

Slighty off-topic, but I wonder when there'll be company that will try to go p2p and f2p / freemium depend on servers mixed model.

Not freemium on all servers, but some servers pure p2p and some freemium or f2p.

SOE tried that, but their exectuion was totally horrible.

Some smaller game have that, like puzzle pirates by three ring have sub and f2p server. F2P basically most thing you do require a cash curreceny, but they are tradable so peopel who have money buy it from the company and sell it to players. Its harder to climb up because it cos tyou gold to keep your ranks and buy ships and stuff. Or you can go P2P server where that doesn't exist. However haven't seen a like big mmorpgs do that though.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

Any themepark MMO  that dares to launch with so little endgame content as TERA is bound to fail as a subscription title in 2012 oversaturated MMO market. 

f2p within a year unless a miracle happens

Originally posted by A_hi

Any themepark MMO  that dares to launch with so little endgame content as TERA is bound to fail as a subscription title in 2012 oversaturated MMO market. 

Not sure about a year, could be less, but i do agree that it will eventually go f2p.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Considering that many players just want to get to endgame and the fast leveling times, should devs design their games with endgame in mind?  Making sure they have many months worth of endgame to keep players busy.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

TERA's main sub base isnt NA/EU.  Aion had likely less than 25k NA subs, but it still ran and received updates, because it had millions of eastern subs.

As long as K-TERA keeps doing moderately ok, western TERA should be fine

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

I have been working with games since 1998 and there's no doubt in my mind. TERA will die quickly. Numbers seem to drop fast. I logged in today to check it out before my subscription runs out (and won't be renewed) and I saw TWO players online.

TERA did exactly the same mistakes as most other gamiing companies do in the MMO genre. They promise new things but when it comes down to basic it really isn't new. Granted... their combat system was new but other that that it was just more of the same. In their news section they tell about all the new things they are going to launch, such a battlegrounds. Really? New?

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Considering that many players just want to get to endgame and the fast leveling times, should devs design their games with endgame in mind?  Making sure they have many months worth of endgame to keep players busy.

Yes that is exactly what they should be doing. RIFT is the only recent MMO I can think of that got it right.

• hopenottakenhopenottaken Member Posts: 38

TERA is doing really bad in S Korea.

http://gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8023

TERA Online:
    April 2012 = 134,717
    May 2012 = 92,580 -31.3%

They're now sitting on 13 servers.

http://tera.hangame.com/sls.nhn

So I really hope it does better in NA/EU but I'm seriously worried.