Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brand New Player

ArcSpartanArcSpartan Member Posts: 111

Hello,

I am not new to MMO scene, I started my career with WoW in '05 but my fascination in MMO's never really came until sometime, in '06, a year after the release of Guild Wars. I've never been a fan of the economy aspect of most MMOs I have played, but more interested in the social and political atmospheres.

I have read most of the other "I'm new posts" and have a general feel for what the game has to offer. However there are a few questions that still linger.

• Politics: Is there one main alliance/coalition dominating the server? I have tried to gather what I can about current alliances, but the answer to this still eludes me.
  • Finding an Alliance: How hard is it to find a good and active alliance?
  • PvP: Do the large scale wars still happen? I have read from many posts that PvP has been reduced to ganking.

I just finished downloading the client and setting up a trial account, but I am very interested to hear about the game from a more experienced player.

Thanks!

Comments

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Look to join Goonswarm.

We are very honest folk, and do not gank.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

join eve university seriously this game has a serious learning curve and eve-u helps answer a lot of questions

also join red v blue nothig but pvp all the time in frgiates.

after all that decide on your playstule and find a corp to join. corps are key.

• ArcSpartanArcSpartan Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by BigCountry
    Look to join Goonswarm. We are very honest folk, and do not gank.:D

"Goonswarm is an infamous alliance of corporations in EVE Online whose public purpose is to grief other players and generally try to break the game."

"Nowhere is safe in EVE Online as Goonswarm suicide-bombs galactic trade hub"

- PC Gamer

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

All lies and propaganda!

I will even offer logistical assistant for you, and help contract (move) your ships into our territory once you start the registration process to join.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by ArcSpartan
    • Politics: Is there one main alliance/coalition dominating the server? I have tried to gather what I can about current alliances, but the answer to this still eludes me.
    • PvP: Do the large scale wars still happen? I have read from many posts that PvP has been reduced to ganking.

Politics:

Functionally there are two large coalitions left in the game. The tight-knit Clusterfuck coalition (CFC) led by goons in the north and a loose affiliation of alliances in the south known as the Southern Coalition with Against ALL Authorities at the helm by default. There are also a number of independent entities that have formed a tech (moon mineral) cartel with goons and the clusterfuck in the north. Notable members of this cartel are Pandemic Legion and Northern Coalition. PL and NCdot essentially have a non-invasion pact (NIP) with the goons but are still hostile to them if they meet in random space.

Latest sovereignty map: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/verite/20120604.png

As you can see no one alliance dominates the server, but the CFC, everything from TEST alliance thru goons all the way up to RAZOR are functionally the most powerful military force in the game. Capable of bringing over 1000 players to bear with a call to arms, they are culturally integrated as a community as well, much more so than the south. Its a kind of reddit/somethingawful/4chan culture but it gives them a unified identity. They think of themselves as members of the CFC much more than as members of their own individual alliances. The opposite is true in the south.

Finding an alliance: Most of the nullsec alliances, even members of a coalition will not take someone who is new unless they have something to offer or you have a friend in an alliance that can vouch for you. Generally joining a training group such as EVE Uni or Red vs Blue to build up a killboard history while training basic skills for a few months will be enough to get you into the more noob friendly alliances such as TEST.

PvP: The most recent large scale wars have just wrapped up. The Goons finished cleaning up what little opposition there was left in the North. In the form of Raiden. and Northern Coalition. resistence to the CFC, Raiden. withdrew and NCdot signed a NIP. In the south there was a nearly two year long conflict between the Southern Coalition and the now defunct Drone Russian Federation (remaining members were Red Alliance and Legion of xXDeathXx). Red Alliance reached an agreement with Against ALL Authorities and was relocated while Legion of xXDeathXx chose to withdraw, having most of its space absorbed by SOLAR FLEET.

The CFC and the South do not currently seem interested in trying to destroy each other. Each side seems content with their current holdings and have little desire to put in the effort to take the other's space.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Thanks for the laugh BC.  Over the years all of the goon recruiters that I've encountered have been well spoken, polite, friendly and courteous.  Liars, all.  =)

Poster above me pretty much covered your questions OP.  Find a corp asap be it EvE-U, RvB or just whoever seems interesting.  Do some reasearch on them first though, don't just join the first corp that some recruiter tells you about.  Type their name in Google and see what comes up.  Look em up on the forums and on Battleclinic.

GL HF FS

o7

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Calfis neglected to mention that there are still a few medium sized alliances in 0.0 with no particular bloc affiliation, basing out of NPC controlled 0.0. But this is probably the least new-player friendly lifestyle in the game, as you'll generally need a high level of EVE knowledge and skills to survive in places like Curse and Stain.

Additionally, there are niches in lo-sec with Faction Warfare

Large scale fights still very much happen, and now that the server is able to reasonably support genuinely large-scale conflict, there's no reason to thinkt hat they won't continue.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by ArcSpartan

Hello,

I am not new to MMO scene, I started my career with WoW in '05 but my fascination in MMO's never really came until sometime, in '06, a year after the release of Guild Wars. I've never been a fan of the economy aspect of most MMOs I have played, but more interested in the social and political atmospheres.

I have read most of the other "I'm new posts" and have a general feel for what the game has to offer. However there are a few questions that still linger.

I just finished downloading the client and setting up a trial account, but I am very interested to hear about the game from a more experienced player.

Thanks!

Quit as long as you still can!

Originally posted by Malcanis

Calfis neglected to mention that there are still a few medium sized alliances in 0.0 with no particular bloc affiliation, basing out of NPC controlled 0.0. But this is probably the least new-player friendly lifestyle in the game, as you'll generally need a high level of EVE knowledge and skills to survive in places like Curse and Stain.

Large scale fights still very much happen, and now that the server is able to reasonably support genuinely large-scale conflict, there's no reason to thinkt hat they won't continue.

My bad Malcanis, INIT are vikings ;)

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

All lies and propaganda!

I will even offer logistical assistant for you, and help contract (move) your ships into our territory once you start the registration process to join.

I can give personal testement to this.  Goons gets a bad rep, but they're actually a great corp to get into. 

Free ships, All the skill books you'll need as an aspiring pod pilot, cooking contest, PvE, PvP, Freight service, corp war, mining ops.  You name it goons does it.

And they move all your stuff for you when you join up.  You can't imagine how much eaiser it is to have experienced freighters moving all your ships for you.  It's a lot nicer then losing everything you own because you jumped into a gate camp.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The one constant about EVE is that the territory control map is always changing :D

No matter how big an alliance gets in EVE, it always disintegrates at some point. The game has been running for 8 years, and no single alliance has ever dominated the entire conquerable map. Taking territory may be relatively easy, but holding it is the hard part.

Originally posted by Calfis

Well there's also Black Legion, Darkside, Appetite For Destruction, and quite a few others. Just because you don't read about them on Kugu doesn't mean that they're not there.

Well there's also Black Legion, Darkside, Appetite For Destruction, and quite a few others. Just because you don't read about them on Kugu doesn't mean that they're not there.

I was trying to give him an overall picture of nullsec control, while the medium sized alliances roaming and hotdropping at the edge of some spaceship empires is an interesting dynamic, unless they throw their hat in with a bloc its not really worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

• Bounty666Bounty666 Member Posts: 1
    I also was thinking of leaving WoW behind after all these years. My main worry, how complicated the controls look. Love space sims, loved X2. Really like the look of this game, but as I'm guessing u guys get slot of this "newbs starting out worry". Can u put my mind at rest lol. Would I need to buy the expansions too? Or would I be ok.

P.s sorry for jacking your thread :)

@Bounty:  2-week free trial is free.  Can't hurt to check it out.  All Eve Expansions are free to subscribers so no need to ever purchase them.  I, personally, don't mind the UI but there are those that do.  To each their own applies.

GL HF

o7

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

People gave you good description of what the powerblocks are like in EVE atm.

Don't try to join Goons outright, you'll get scammed. Although as a noob, you don't really have much to get scammed out of.

The best way to get started would probably be EVE-University and then getting into Red vs Blue faction warfare. Quite a few CFCers are actually taking to RvB with alts since the fights are plenty. People are using smaller ships and less uptight about losing them so you can really learn the speed of combat and such.

As a CFCer myself I can tell you that Goons are probably the best ally you could ask for in this game. Having said that, don't try to join them outright or trust ANY Goon/Testie. While they are great allies, they are completely ruthless to anyone that isn't their ally.

Originally posted by helthros

People gave you good description of what the powerblocks are like in EVE atm.

Don't try to join Goons outright, you'll get scammed. Although as a noob, you don't really have much to get scammed out of.

The best way to get started would probably be EVE-University and then getting into Red vs Blue faction warfare. Quite a few CFCers are actually taking to RvB with alts since the fights are plenty. People are using smaller ships and less uptight about losing them so you can really learn the speed of combat and such.

As a CFCer myself I can tell you that Goons are probably the best ally you could ask for in this game. Having said that, don't try to join them outright or trust ANY Goon/Testie. While they are great allies, they are completely ruthless to anyone that isn't their ally.

I have never tried to scam a newbie, NEVER. 

Having said that, any couple month old players that are looking for a great corp can send me a PM and I'd be happy to sponsor you. :)

Originally posted by Bounty666
    I also was thinking of leaving WoW behind after all these years. My main worry, how complicated the controls look. Love space sims, loved X2. Really like the look of this game, but as I'm guessing u guys get slot of this "newbs starting out worry". Can u put my mind at rest lol. Would I need to buy the expansions too? Or would I be ok.

P.s sorry for jacking your thread :)

Like Kovah said, do the trial.

And when you do the trial, don't skip the tutorial please.  Do it.  Every mission, every tutorial agent, every single one them.  Just make sure when you get to scanning you hit up youtube and watch a video on it. 

If you do not do the tutorial, no amount of asking in corp chat is going to help you.  You HAVE to do the tutorials.  Aside from actually explaining how the controlls and such work, they'll give you a basic understanding of some of the things you can do in EVE.  Don't be daunted by the "what should I do" nature of the game.  Once you've done the tutorials and have an idea of what you think you'll like to do, apply to a corp that caters to that sort of gameplay; not one that only does that though.  You may find you like doing mining, do not join a corp that only mines and nothing else.  Find one that caters to that industry but also supports doing other things.

It's not as hard as people make it sound, myself incuded.  The longer you play and the more you SOCIALIZE the more you will learn. 

Don't forget to socialize, and put the forums to work for you.  Not general discussion though, unless you enjoy trolling and whine threads.

• tnhmbtnhmb Member UncommonPosts: 10

is it possible to conquer planets?

@ ^: Not yet.

Also, @ Uhwop:  The k isn't capitalized (why do people always miss that?) and just cause you personally haven't scammed a noob doesn't mean that your fellow Alliance mates have not done so themselves.  Avoid the Goons is good advice imo.

I was trying to give him an overall picture of nullsec control, while the medium sized alliances roaming and hotdropping at the edge of some spaceship empires is an interesting dynamic, unless they throw their hat in with a bloc its not really worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

From a sov holding perspective, perhaps not, but that's exactly what I was trying to illustrate. The point is that there's much more to nullsec than sov-holding. There are whole ecosystems in places like Curse and Stain (and W-space) that are as indifferent and unaffected by what goes on in sov space as you are of them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, EVE is big

There's a whole lot going on 'under the surface', as it were, that you will probably never be aware of just passing through the space.

From a sov holding perspective, perhaps not, but that's exactly what I was trying to illustrate. The point is that there's much more to nullsec than sov-holding. There are whole ecosystems in places like Curse and Stain (and W-space) that are as indifferent and unaffected by what goes on in sov space as you are of them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, EVE is big

There's a whole lot going on 'under the surface', as it were, that you will probably never be aware of just passing through the space.

True enough, I had my old INIT ships stuck in Curse for the longest time. The locals, including my old FREE Explorer friends just wouldn't cooperate ;)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

All lies and propaganda!

Don't listen to these people from the Goons.   They get their kicks out of scamming people.   There are plenty of other corps you can join.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Teala

All lies and propaganda!

Don't listen to these people from the Goons.   They get their kicks out of scamming people.   There are plenty of other corps you can join.

So?

Games are meant to be fun. Just like this: http://youtu.be/_bpAkAkLFTE

A succesfull alliance where players are allowed to spend gametime to actually have fun. There is no forced CTA no forced this and that.

C'mon you honestly believe all those goon alts claiming to be scammed by the goons? You even think that it still would be possible to do, It's not like they are not infamous... Don't think that people are more stupid than yourself, you would not be scammed by somthing like what you are suggesting and so nobode else.

This infame is part of the EVE game, propagande, and it is actually pretty fun to read people misconception about this.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"