Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO SpikeTV demo

kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

TESO just had a fairly large demonstration on SpikeTV. I would imagine it will either be available online somewhere, or on ondemand in the near future.

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

And....

Did you watch it?

What are your thoughts?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

See the discussion begun:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5041096/ESO-news.html#5041096

Daddydazzle reports they will update.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

WoW!

Literally.

It looks like WoW.  Amazingly original look they got going there.  My god.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

the guy from zenimax looked like he could of burst into tears at any moment.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

His exact words were, and this was inregards to the question, "how to you classify the art style internally."

"Well, first off it's going to allow 200 players in the game at the same time. Uhm, you know, fighting battles, these huge epic battles."

It was, like a lot of his other answers to questions, a non-answer.

Q: What can we expect on the innovative front?

A: Removal of a lot of the interface to try and make the combat "feel" more real time based and reactionary, you'll be blocking and using stamina. 

The art style looks a lot more like WoW then I would have expected from the screenshots they've shown.  Buildings and some of the character models have that cartoonish, exagerated look that you would expect to see while playing WoW.  ToR actually looks much more original in the art style then ESO does.

Edit: wrong thread.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

I only buy if I can mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Wow, the game looks pretty.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Uhwop

WoW!

Literally.

It looks like WoW.  Amazingly original look they got going there.  My god.

no it didnt

it looked like GUILD WARS TWO

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

As usual the questions were too harmless. I dunno, are all game moderators paid or drugged? Ever so often when I seen a video interview with some game dev, I felt I wanted to jump out of my seat and wished *I* was there asking questions! They never ask hard and important questions! (And this mod clearly needs a haircut...)

Anywhoo... on the one hand everything this Zenimax dude says here and in other interviews is horrible PR bla bla. For a game that is 5 years in development, his info is really close to zero. So they want to make the game accessible. Yes. What the moderator SHOULD have asked: What EXACTLY does that mean, as opposed to other MMOs? What will you make different? Those zombie/sheep moderators drive me nuts. I mean, heck, we all know some hallmarks of what makes a MMO. Would it be so difficult to ask some substantial questions, and NOT let the Zenimax Dev wiggle itself out by hogwash no-info answers?!

On the other hand, the visuals in the vid don't look as bad as some early leaked screenshots. I mean, ok it's not Skyrim quality, but then, no one could expect that. What made me cringe is that some stuff looks too much like from SWTOR, especially some landscape elements. (Oh seriously if you think it looks like WOW you need glasses. No NOT those to drink from. Those for the eyes!) The dungeons looked quite good IMO, actually.

Skeptical, but sure to give it a fair chance when I can try it out.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by mmprime

SPIKE TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1R5R_9Huac

I wonder how their questing system will work. In that video the guy said that you can wander the world and that quests sometimes come to you, but doesn't that mean that they are going with the old MMORPG quest hub style? I'm fine with quest hubs. The issue with them though is that usually what I do in an MMO is grab all the quests then stick to doing everything that my log tells me to do instead of going out and exploring.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I don't mind the art. It was pretty enough with just enough elder scrolls in it to appease my standards for this game. I like the idea of less UI though. That was my biggest peeve with rift that I spent all my time watching the action bar and cool downs and never the beautiful game. Razer naga has helped ease some of that with these games but still. I get the feeling though that there just isn't a lot of innovation behind the gameplay and being that I already hate that it's not a FPS, they really need to make it up to me in this department. Time will tell I guess but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I can see how people see WoW in this video. Its palette is more on the colorful/saturated side. Polygons used for buildings aren't as detailed as Skyrim (to which ESO gfx is widely compared). Character/armor models are a bit on the cartoony side. Overall it's more cartoony than realistic.

Regardless of all that the game still looks beautiful though. I hope it will feel alive and immersive and not at all static.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I can't believe it's been 5+ years in the making.  It's probably way too late for them to change the direction of the game, from themepark to sandbox.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I watched with the audio off so let me take a guess. During the Q and A session his answer to every question was 'no'.

The graphics are actually nice but to be honest the graphics never were the deal breaker for me. The 3rd person view is the biggest deal breaker for me , followed by a class based system.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    I can see how people see WoW in this video. Its palette is more on the colorful/saturated side. Polygons used for buildings aren't as detailed as Skyrim (to which ESO gfx is widely compared). Character/armor models are a bit on the cartoony side. Overall it's more cartoony than realistic.Regardless of all that the game still looks beautiful though. I hope it will feel alive and immersive and not at all static.

I think this is a problem with game play videos in general. They really don't give you a good feel for how the game play actually is. It could be substantially different from WoW, but in a game play video, it just looks like WoW. Of course, it could also play just like WoW. Game play videos don't seem to give you the ability to tell the difference.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    I can see how people see WoW in this video. Its palette is more on the colorful/saturated side. Polygons used for buildings aren't as detailed as Skyrim (to which ESO gfx is widely compared). Character/armor models are a bit on the cartoony side. Overall it's more cartoony than realistic.

Regardless of all that the game still looks beautiful though. I hope it will feel alive and immersive and not at all static.

I think this is a problem with game play videos in general. They really don't give you a good feel for how the game play actually is. It could be substantially different from WoW, but in a game play video, it just looks like WoW. Of course, it could also play just like WoW. Game play videos don't seem to give you the ability to tell the difference.

I clearly dont speak for all TES fans but I think in general the graphics is fairly far down the list of concerns/deal breakers.

yes the first screens made us think of WoW mostly because of the character/NPC models. That all said, its still a class based, 3rd person, tab targeting, faction dependent generally lagard game design with a company that has zero idea what is possible, that is the main issue

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I clearly dont speak for all TES fans but I think in general the graphics is fairly far down the list of concerns/deal breakers.

yes the first screens made us think of WoW mostly because of the character/NPC models. That all said, its still a class based, 3rd person, tab targeting, faction dependent generally lagard game design with a company that has zero idea what is possible, that is the main issue

QFT

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by BigCountry

QFT

i think the biggest disapointment is in the hearts of those who have folllowed TES for such a long time. I think we all dreamed of what it would be like to play an Elder Scrolls MMO how we would do it, what aspects would translate easily and what might need alteration. How much fun TES would be if you werent alone in this amazing world.

When they released details of TESO it was the realisation that this MMO was nothing like the imagined MMO of TES fans. It is compeltely the opposite to it infact. Sandbox gameplay best fits TES world. If the original TES had been dungeon crawler hack and slash games then this new TESO game would of fit the formula nicely but TES wasnt that sort of game at all.

Its almost as bad as turning an eagerly awiated franchise like XCOM into a first person shooter. Its a retarded move by bethesda and whilst both this Themepark mmo and the FPS xcom game could of been good games for the new fans that enjoy that type of gameplay. The people who played the original games and supported them from one game to another feel let down, betrayed and unloved. This is not TESO the fans wanted and feels like a slap in the face.

so lets not forget that XCOM was also bethesda and with enough complaining from gamers they quickly scrapped it and remade XCOM with the support of the civilisation team to turn it back into a strategy game. I beleive enoguh complaining and maybe they will turn TESO back into something gamers actually want to play.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by deathshroud

QFT

i think the biggest disapointment is in the hearts of those who have folllowed TES for such a long time. I think we all dreamed of what it would be like to play an Elder Scrolls MMO how we would do it, what aspects would translate easily and what might need alteration. How much fun TES would be if you werent alone in this amazing world.

When they released details of TESO it was the realisation that this MMO was nothing like the imagined MMO of TES fans. It is compeltely the opposite to it infact. Sandbox gameplay best fits TES world. If the original TES had been dungeon crawler hack and slash games then this new TESO game would of fit the formula nicely but TES wasnt that sort of game at all.

Its almost as bad as turning an eagerly awiated franchise like XCOM into a first person shooter. Its a retarded move by bethesda and whilst both this Themepark mmo and the FPS xcom game could of been good games for the new fans that enjoy that type of gameplay. The people who played the original games and supported them from one game to another feel let down, betrayed and unloved. This is not TESO the fans wanted and feels like a slap in the face.

so lets not forget that XCOM was also bethesda and with enough complaining from gamers they quickly scrapped it and remade XCOM with the support of the civilisation team to turn it back into a strategy game. I beleive enoguh complaining and maybe they will turn TESO back into something gamers actually want to play.

Nobody is making you play this game for one, how is this game a dungeon crawler?

Also I would like you to shed light on what exactly TES fans wanted in a mmo, be exact here with examples of what type of gameplay, dungeons, pvp? if any, graphics, skills, weapons, crafting and questing. Lets hear your perfect game.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

I'm spending more and more time w/ unknown IPs nowadays.  It seems to me that recently, any IP with a fond history for RPGs and PC Games is being used as a hype machine for smash and grab themepark clone games.  Personally, I'm sick of it.  I'd rather deal with the bugs, letdown and "shadiness" of developers like StarVault and the like before tossing any more of my hard earned cash at some multi-billion dollar gaming conglomerate looking for a quick way to get some cash out of my wallet.

Originally posted by Fearum

QFT

Nobody is making you play this game for one, how is this game a dungeon crawler?

Also I would like you to shed light on what exactly TES fans wanted in a mmo, be exact here with examples of what type of gameplay, dungeons, pvp? if any, graphics, skills, weapons, crafting and questing. Lets hear your perfect game.

I beleive what TES fans wanted from a TESO was for it to cement the sandbox style  gameplay of original TES games with the mmo formula to make the first succesful and easily accessible mmorpg sandbox since UO. TES has alchemy, later enchantment, stealth and all out combat, player housing, exploration and you are free to progress as you see fit, ignore the main quest, ignore quests altogether, choose your own path through the landscape and visit dungeons and areas in the order you decide.  a much more realistic graphic style than most rpgs, basic crafting and repairing items, no boundries and the outside area free of loadscreens. What i bleieve TES fans wanted was an mmorpg that was TES with laterations to fit the MMO formula and not a cookie cutter mmo with a TES skin mishapenly stitched to it.

So moving on to what i wanted from a tes mmo. I wanted to wake up as a prisoner or a nobody in a world that was breathing and evolving much like the worlds of sandbox mmos. I wanted to be able to swing my sword and aim my attacks, fire projectile based magic and bows. Sneak in shadows to avoid npcs. Jump from rooftop to rooftop at ngiht. Hunt down the thieves guild and partake in thievery or smuggle moonsugar from one city to the next. explore as far as i can see venturing into whcihever cave i choose. Or sit upon the shores of a river and fish to sell for goods. Buy a horse from the stables or prehaps even tame a horse myself. [artake with other on a main story line that evolves over time based on the actions of its mmo population, avoid the guards after stealing bread from a bakery, sell my wares and goods in town. venture to a tavern and get into a drunken brawl. complete some basic quests from npcs whenever i choose to and not to advance my character, level the skills i want to and create the class i want to paly and not some pre determined class.buy a house or prehaps build a house and store my goods within it, find hidden treasure and rare items to sell, all in all i want to be free, i dont want to have to be told were i can and cant go, who i can and cant kill, i dont want to have to grind mindlessly to reach the next zone or reach a skill cap and be faced with notihng other than mindless pvp.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Well said. X2

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Fearum

QFT

I beleive what TES fans wanted from a TESO was for it to cement the sandbox style  gameplay of original TES games with the mmo formula to make the first succesful and easily accessible mmorpg sandbox since UO. TES has alchemy, later enchantment, stealth and all out combat, player housing, exploration and you are free to progress as you see fit, ignore the main quest, ignore quests altogether, choose your own path through the landscape and visit dungeons and areas in the order you decide.  a much more realistic graphic style than most rpgs, basic crafting and repairing items, no boundries and the outside area free of loadscreens. What i bleieve TES fans wanted was an mmorpg that was TES with laterations to fit the MMO formula and not a cookie cutter mmo with a TES skin mishapenly stitched to it.

So moving on to what i wanted from a tes mmo. I wanted to wake up as a prisoner or a nobody in a world that was breathing and evolving much like the worlds of sandbox mmos. I wanted to be able to swing my sword and aim my attacks, fire projectile based magic and bows. Sneak in shadows to avoid npcs. Jump from rooftop to rooftop at ngiht. Hunt down the thieves guild and partake in thievery or smuggle moonsugar from one city to the next. explore as far as i can see venturing into whcihever cave i choose. Or sit upon the shores of a river and fish to sell for goods. Buy a horse from the stables or prehaps even tame a horse myself. [artake with other on a main story line that evolves over time based on the actions of its mmo population, avoid the guards after stealing bread from a bakery, sell my wares and goods in town. venture to a tavern and get into a drunken brawl. complete some basic quests from npcs whenever i choose to and not to advance my character, level the skills i want to and create the class i want to paly and not some pre determined class.buy a house or prehaps build a house and store my goods within it, find hidden treasure and rare items to sell, all in all i want to be free, i dont want to have to be told were i can and cant go, who i can and cant kill, i dont want to have to grind mindlessly to reach the next zone or reach a skill cap and be faced with notihng other than mindless pvp.

TES are not sandbox games, They are themepark SPRPG. You want a sandbox game there are plenty of crappy games out there already for that. 

You can craft in TESO ie your alchemy, ench. Im sure there will be stealthing.

The combat was weak as hell in the ES series and not the strongest part of the game by far.

Player housing, not everyone is sad about not being able to make barbies dream house, I could care less if they have housing or not.

Exploration seems like its covered in TESO pretty good.

Progression as you see fit doesnt work in a MMO, please explain how you would make it work with others in your game? You want the mobs around you to always be your level? How would that work in a MMo with other people at different levels then you?

You can do whatever quests you want, have you actually even researched the game or read anything about it?

Visiting anywhere in the game when you decide falls back to the world leveling with you. Again how would you make this work with other players in the world at different levels then you?

Nothing else is worth responding too after that question just some blarb that didnt make sense.

Everything you wanted in the next paragraph seems like you don't want to play a MMO at all, so I could easily suggest the SPRPG games would fit into your wants perfectly.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I watched with the audio off so let me take a guess. During the Q and A session his answer to every question was 'no'.

The graphics are actually nice but to be honest the graphics never were the deal breaker for me. The 3rd person view is the biggest deal breaker for me , followed by a class based system.

There are some twists to the standard class system though.

"You won't be able to create your own "classes", as everyone will choose an archetype from the start: tank, healer, mage, rogue, etc.  But once in the game, it's up to you how you build that character.  You can be a tank who wields a healing staff, or a mage who uses a sword and a shield.  Sure a a real healer is still going to do that role better than you, but essentially Matt wants to make sure players can and will take on several roles with their play.  Level 50 may be the cap, he said, but it's just a number.  Progression won't end there."

This is one of the better previews of the game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6457/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-You-Got-Elder-Scrolls-in-my-MMO.html

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson