Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Continue to play Tera or not?

Comments

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

It's a shame because Tera is a truly awesome game, with great production values, a nice immersive theme park world, great gameplay, good varied classes, and nice group dynamics.

It will fail though, and pretty much already has, sadly.

- Elin children unacceptable to mass audience

- General "asian-ness" is a turn-off to most players

- Endgame lacking

- Turns into Korean grinder extreme at 60

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

It's a shame because Tera is a truly awesome game, with great production values, a nice immersive theme park world, great gameplay, good varied classes, and nice group dynamics.

- Endgame lacking

1. If you read on the Lore, Elins arent children. They are over 100years old!

2. No it aint, alot of people like the asian-ness of the game, if not, games like Perfect World International, Aion, Vindictus would not have as high player base as they do.

3. There i agree with you.

4. Grinder at max level? How else would you expect to get high end gear?

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I played it to level 30 (which seems to be like my max on most MMO except eve) It got boring to me. Maybe Im just burned out on MMos. It was pretty and all yes. Its not a bad game (looks at SWTOR). but I just couldnt continue.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zaltark

I played it to level 30 (which seems to be like my max on most MMO except eve) It got boring to me. Maybe Im just burned out on MMos. It was pretty and all yes. Its not a bad game (looks at SWTOR). but I just couldnt continue.

same exact thing for me got to 30 and just couldn't get myself to continue.. couple people from work still play but I just don't enjoy the combat system enough to warrant the rest of the game being so lackluster imho... guess perhaps i'am as well worn out on these MMOs and just can't do the generic quest hub to quest hub styles anymore. Too bad because I love the artwork and especially the armor styles

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by kiiix

- Endgame lacking

2. No it aint, alot of people like the asian-ness of the game, if not, games like Perfect World International, Aion, Vindictus would not have as high player base as they do.

4 By sitting on a  games forum n  bitching, even though you have no interest in playing?

Some folks seem to enjoy Tera, and I say good for them. Find something you like, and jam to your hearts content.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I haven't extended my subscription for second month. One reson is that the game after lvl 30 is really boring. U basicially fight the same monsters than before, with the exception that they are of higher lvl. Apparently after lvl 40 there are many more new monsters. I still might re-subscribe, but rather not this week as I'm waiting for GW2 beta weekend. 

- Endgame lacking

Don't get me wrong: I really like the game a lot, I think it's currently the best MMO out there.

I just outlined the reasons it won't be a mass market success, and by and large given what we're seeing in the US and EU, that is correct.

- Endgame lacking

Don't get me wrong: I really like the game a lot, I think it's currently the best MMO out there.

I just outlined the reasons it won't be a mass market success, and by and large given what we're seeing in the US and EU, that is correct.

When you put it that way, i see your point.

KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

in which server do you play? is it pve or pvp? i believe the game worth at least 1-2 months before anyone decide if he wanna continue/worth playing or not... its still way too early...the game is solid and nice..

Honestly, every mmo player should do the 1-60 on Tera.

It's quick, it's fun and not grindy and it will raise their standards of what MMO gameplay should be like.

If anything it's a good experience to have. What they choose to do with their sub after, well that's a lot less certain.

It's quick, it's fun and not grindy and it will raise their standards of what MMO gameplay should be like.

If anything it's a good experience to have. What they choose to do with their sub after, well that's a lot less certain.

you and I have a very differ'nt idea on the term "grindy"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Yeah, tera is the epitome of a grind.

1) Grind quest hubs

2) Grind bams

3) Grind dungeons for drops

4) Grind crafting

5) Grinding nexi

6) Soon to be introduced grinding bgs.

If there were anymore grinding it'd be a club in Jersey.

heyooooooo!!!

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Honestly , I'm glad TERA has the leveling speed and type it does.

I got into mmorpg's in EQ's launch days and enjoy actually going from place to place and fighting mobs for loot both solo and with a group of other folks and mix some pvp in.

I'm sick of the need for storyline cutscenes and pseudo instanced single player game , trend of mmorpg's.

TSW's horrific combat but you get to click on puzzles , combined with TOR's story and voice acting emphasis is exactly what I don't want in an mmorpg for me.

I can hop in TERA , and solo or group , go fight mobs with a great and fluid combat system , excellent network code , and pvp with mutliple guild battles going on at the same time for some spice.

It's exactly what I like , and I'm glad not every mmorpg dev is going the "WE'VE GOT VOICE ACTING AND OR PUZZLES IN SOLO INSTANCE FOR YOUR PAID SUB" route.

TERA for me currently is much more an actual mmorpg that is enjoyable , and perfect ? absolutely not , but fun and feels like an actual virtual world with plenty of folks fighting and adventuring around you.

Sadly , many new mmropg's can't even manage that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Teekay

1) Grind quest hubs

2) Grind bams

4) Grind crafting

5) Grinding nexi

heyooooooo!!!

Well, some would call that fun.

Here's the question: What do you want to be doing?

Because according to your post you don't want to fight mobs, fight huge mobs, fight through dungeons, craft, fight invasions or fight players.

So I suppose you just don't want combat?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Because according to your post you don't want to fight mobs, fight huge mobs, fight through dungeons, craft, fight invasions or fight players.

I want to fight mobs with purpose, and not just kill 10 of this, kill 10 of that ad infinitum.

Huge mobs, small mobs, all the same. When I fight a mob which takes some effort i expect some sort of reward.

There's a difference running a dungeon for the chance of a great drop, and running it in order to get materials just to be able to craft my weapon an extra '+'. Or being forced to run dungeons in order to get gear strong enough to run the next dungeon.

Fight invasions...lol...1) The Nexi were just a rip off of Rift, 2) It's a farm, not an invasion, if you're not there nothing happens. Nothing invades.

Fight players with purpose. The tera main pvp boards are chock full of complaints abount pointless pvp. As predicted the day this game was released in the west.

So there's ways of doing things, and ways of doing things. Judging by the Tera boards it isn't doing them very well.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    As I said earlier, this is a very personal question to which only the individual player has the answer. And it's outcome is cheaper than a night at the movies.

But SWTOR had the elite zone quests that most people just ignored as they leveled. So ....?

Also, the political system is already bearing it's earliest social fruits as people rebel against local vanarchs keeping their shops closed. I can't wait to see where that leads.

Anyhow. Some people like sniffing panties, I do not. But to each their own.

I want to fight mobs with purpose, and not just kill 10 of this, kill 10 of that ad infinitum.

Huge mobs, small mobs, all the same. When I fight a mob which takes some effort i expect some sort of reward.

There's a difference running a dungeon for the chance of a great drop, and running it in order to get materials just to be able to craft my weapon an extra '+'. Or being forced to run dungeons in order to get gear strong enough to run the next dungeon.

Fight invasions...lol...1) The Nexi were just a rip off of Rift, 2) It's a farm, not an invasion, if you're not there nothing happens. Nothing invades.

Fight players with purpose. The tera main pvp boards are chock full of complaints abount pointless pvp. As predicted the day this game was released in the west.

So there's ways of doing things, and ways of doing things. Judging by the Tera boards it isn't doing them very well.

It's hard to relate to you but here goes...

I hvae gotten quite a few gold drops from "regular mobs" (really) I can still get gold drops in the late 50's (which you can sell as they will be too low for you) from Sinestral Manor. Same with BAMS. So one can get "rewards".

Ultimately the enjoyment of an encounter is my goal which is why I can't relate to you.

I can sort of agree on the pvp but we pvp'ed in Lineage 2 without any rewards and there is a contingent of players on the Tera boards who also agreee so I don't accept your offering of "the tera boards are chcok full of complaints" without pointing out that there are also a lot of people who don't see eye to eye with those complainers.

I think judgning by the Tera boards there are too many people who are playing "for rewards". And that is something I can't relate to.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

It's hard to relate to you but here goes...

I hvae gotten quite a few gold drops from "regular mobs" (really) I can still get gold drops in the late 50's (which you can sell as they will be too low for you) from Sinestral Manor. Same with BAMS. So one can get "rewards".

Ultimately the enjoyment of an encounter is my goal which is why I can't relate to you.

I can sort of agree on the pvp but we pvp'ed in Lineage 2 without any rewards and there is a contingent of players on the Tera boards who also agreee so I don't accept your offering of "the tera boards are chcok full of complaints" without pointing out that there are also a lot of people who don't see eye to eye with those complainers.

I think judgning by the Tera boards there are too many people who are playing "for rewards". And that is something I can't relate to.

to me a grind is doing the same thing repetativly over and over.. now this can be anything and time isn't really even a big factor in it. So to me I find TERA's basic questing very very "grindy". I'll also admit after playing Rift and several other games I really find it hard to play a MMO that has you stuck in a single role your entire playthrough. I love choices with either classes or skills while levleing and TERA overs the bare minimum for both. You have a fairly small number of actual skills and don't even get new skills through any sort of talent system and only get to enhance the small number of skills already in the game.. This isn't a issue for some people but it's really the main reason I cannot get into TERA that much and why the game feels more like a grind

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I played the game for a few weeks and the combait isn't all that entertaining. Sure, you CAN dodge and block and prance about, but it's not really all that necessary (at least >30). Then you realize they built the stamina system to punish you for getting hit.

If you take out the enjoyment of the combat system the rest of the game is typical MMO garbage. Horrible horrible quests. Meh@best crafting. The PvP could be the only real draw of this game.

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

In my opinion that is absolutely not the case. I tried and got so bored with the grind that I gave up. Quite often you meet the same kind of mobs at different levels and have to kill the exact same amount. Other that that it's "take this - go there - thank you - now go kill 5 of those".

If anything TERA taught me that I should be happy for the older MMOs I already play. 

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

1) Grind quest hubs

2) Grind bams

4) Grind crafting

5) Grinding nexi

heyooooooo!!!

Who knows, some people just like to complain at everything (even if its the core concept of an entire genre)

KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

You need an option "I didn't play the game" because I liketo vote in polls... :(

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by Aerowyn

to me a grind is doing the same thing repetativly over and over.. now this can be anything and time isn't really even a big factor in it. So to me I find TERA's basic questing very very "grindy". I'll also admit after playing Rift and several other games I really find it hard to play a MMO that has you stuck in a single role your entire playthrough. I love choices with either classes or skills while levleing and TERA overs the bare minimum for both. You have a fairly small number of actual skills and don't even get new skills through any sort of talent system and only get to enhance the small number of skills already in the game.. This isn't a issue for some people but it's really the main reason I cannot get into TERA that much and why the game feels more like a grind

I admit that I didn't really like Rift's system.

I do like the idea of embodying a role and then making alterations within that role. But that's just my taste.

Overall I think you are correct in that Tera's quest system is "grindy" but for my taste, since I like combat, these really are the better types of quests for me.

What I don't like about this system (and other games have this but I see it mostly in the Asian games) is all the running around. I think they think it's moare about story and characteriation when they tell you to run across the area and speak to an npc only for him to send you back and then send you to another npc next to that first npc.

This is not to say I don't like puzzles or other types of quests but since Tera's real purpose is mostly combat, it makes sense that they are capitalizing on this.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

the problem is that once the novelty of the combat sytem wears off there is literally nothing left

endgame consists of 3 dungeons worth of pve and nothing else, no pvp besides open world ganking, absolutely no noncombat activities like pet or mount collecting or stuff like that...

it makes me mad this great combat system is being wasted in such a shitty game

Originally posted by A_hi

the problem is that once the novelty of the combat sytem wears off there is literally nothing left

endgame consists of 3 dungeons worth of pve and nothing else, no pvp besides open world ganking, absolutely no noncombat activities like pet or mount collecting or stuff like that...

it makes me mad this great combat system is being wasted in such a shitty game

Well, GvG battles and Battlegrounds will be added to the game at the end of the summer as well as some raid content/instances. I imagine that people who are not inclined to do other things will just take a break.