Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Blame it on Guild Wars 2/Blizzard's greed.

124»

Comments

• VolkmarVolkmar EspooPosts: 2,497Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by injenu
    Originally posted by Volkmar
    Originally posted by Volkmar

So this is what I'm thinking....

In January of this year GW2 gives a little hint that they'll be releasing the following year around the same time... Then, in early April ArenaNet starts offerring Open-Beta testing with pre-orders, followed by the April 27th open beta weekend.  Blizzard most definitely got themselves a copy and after playing it come to the realization that GW2 is a lot closer to release than what was previously indicated... So they panicked.. 

They knew that if GW2 were to release before Diablo III, which for all intensive purposes can be considered direct competition, that it  would ultimately hurt D3s initial release sales.  So they go into "worst case scenario" mode, realizing their own game in its current development state is going to be lacking seriously.  Sensing a June-ish release date from GW2, they have no choice but to release a partially done game.. 

So development realizes that they're going to have to figure out a way to deliver the game in a piece by piece method, while also ensuring that the masses wont just tear through their unfinished game.  They decide to scrap trying to figure out pvp balancing, and focus on finishing up the overall PVE content itself.  This might be a stretch, but I bet they brought in some coders from WoW (why the game has similar graphics), and tried to polish/debug what they had for a release. 

As a means to slow down people from utterly ripping through the content, they just make inferno mode impossible for the layman player. They also reduce the drops so as to be able to figure out the best way to implement the RMAH.  The DRM is also a pretty good method of artificially controlling people from getting to the end point (a single player offline mode allows people to choose whether to update their game) ..

Thinking along this path, you can kind of get a better scope as to how Blizzard is maximizing their sales.  The tragedy in all of this is that all of us basically paid full price to rent (DRM means you DO NOT own it) a partially finished game.  The greater insult is that most of us will probably also pay to purchase DLCs piece by piece, until Blizzard decides to actually make right on their committment in providing an adequate version of Diablo 3.  I'm thinking they intend on milking us for about $150-200 for their full, envisioned finished product. 

This is why that petition is so important. The more signatures that the petition gets, the higher likelihood that a class action suit will be filed, and the greater the chances that Blizzard does NOT charge its playerbase for paying for their own failures.  Not to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but if you honestly think that this game is anywhere near complete in its current state, with the DRM, as well as the lack of pvp, proper balancing, and the broken AH, then I'm sorry, but you should really take a seriously better look. 

So what do you guys think? Am I some crazy conspiracy theorist? Or does this make some sense?

injenu.

All right... there is a lot of stuff here and I say it plainly from the start that yes, I think you are a crazy conspiracy theorist.

Let's go point by point:

1) Guild Wars 2 is not even the same genre of game as Diablo. If you would have said Tera, with its actiony oriented system... maybe... but GW2 combat is much more Wow-like than Diablo-like. Also unless I missed something, GW2 is much more a MMO than a loot-oriented Hack & Slash Action RPG with not much of a story behind it (was true in Diablo 1.. was true in Diablo 2, is true in Diablo 3, the story is nice but definitely not needed here).

Torchlight 2 is much more similar to Diablo so if you would have said they released D3 in May to go against T2... well then maybe there is merit to that. What I think is none of the above though. Blizzard knew they would get gazzilion of sales no matter WHEN they released Diablo 3.

2) Diablo 3 is NOT partially done. Seemed quite complete to me. It's missing PvP you say? Well so did WoW at release! Or better... it had PvP but absolutely no context for it. Battlegrounds, honor points, rewards... all came later. So what was your point again? Blizzard does not care much for PvP? well I knew that in 2004! The PvE part is absolutely complete and Inferno had been touted for months to be really really really hard! It is supposed to be one step over Diablo 2... so it MUST be really hard!

3)"This might be a stretch, but I bet they brought in some coders from WoW (why the game has similar graphics), and tried to polish/debug what they had for a release. "   A Stretch you call it? Have you any idea what a coder does? Hint: it has nothing to do with graphics. 

Also Diablo 3 screenies have been around for years! Their style of graphics is not something they just suddenly changed in the last couple months.

If you want an Hint on what a rushed out game looks like, look no further than Age of Conan. They clearly had the 1-20 content ready and nothing else. Diablo 3 has been in development for 7 YEARS, a couple months up or down won't do much of a difference, right? And surely not enough to change graphic style or "rush up" the game. You do not finish what took 7 years in a month or two!

4) You NEVER owned any game! Legally at least, you always had just a LICENSE. That can be revoked at any time for about any reason from the game company. No one almost ever did (but that is why you can get banned) and it was hardly enforceable, but it has always been there for Software sales since the 1980s.

5) Blizzard has never dealt in DLCs. Nothing said so far makes me believe they will start with Diablo. There will be FREE patches to add content (prolly not much), to add PvP and then we will have 2 expansions to make bigger changes and additions to the game, exactly what happened for Diablo 2. Now maybe they will offer DLCs in the future, but you might have noticed there were no "on-disk DLCs" nor "day-1 DLCs", so if you want to blow the DLC horn, you might have the wrong target. Hint: EA/Bioware is on that other forum, Capcom is thataway as well.

6) What petition you are talking about?

Finally: I'm sorry you think the game is half finished. I don't. Don't buy it if you think it is half finished, wait they implement PvP (as it seems that is all you care about... so why Diablo 3??? never been a pvp centric game, not even diablo 2 was), check how they implement PvP, prolly get disapointed by it... and walk away!

The online-only will not go away. The Auction House does not affect me in the least, so I do not comment on it , never used and prolly will never use.

1.  Guild Wars 2 is not even the same Genre as Diablo 3? This is very subjective, as you have two games that are both persistent online worlds without subscriptions based in a fantasy type environment.  It's also ironic how you guys talk about how this game is a single player game, yet it has no story? Diablo 3 is all about its story, and if anything GW2 lacks the story.  If it isn't about the story, why don't you just play "click a button until something a different color pops out" game, because that's what Diablo 3 is without its story.

2. Blizzard doesn't care much about PvP? Do you not realize that Blizzard is the creator of Starcraft 2, which is basically the premiere eSports game in the world, other than league of legends?  This is not a finished game, as it would've balanced out pvp, done a whole lot more with the AH (i've sold more through general chat than ever on the AH), along with the bugs, the poorly thought out hell and inferno modes, and the fact that I rubber band all the time while having a 43 ms latency. 

3. The fact that you think that this game is a viable product after 7 years of development makes me wonder if YOU KNOW WHAT A CODER IS.

4. I'm sorry, maybe I'm a retard according to you, but what exactly is the real difference between a DLC and an expansion? It's additional content that you pay for.  I don't think I have to elaborate this for you.

5. The game has a lot of potential as far as pvp goes, even if it is only in an arena format.  I don't honestly think they would make the actual PVE portion open to pvp, as it's somewhat counter intuitive, but if they came out with various formats for pvp the game could have a very strong following in this regard.

The majority of your arguments and counterpoints to me are pretty subjective, basically using only semantics and your own very limited opinion to create any sort of legitimate reason why I would even attempt to see things in your view.  It's called being a fanboi, and you sir, certainly fit that description.

1. Diablo 3 world is not persistent it is created on the fly everytime you log in.The dungeons and mobs are all different. Your character is persistent and also your progression is persistent, but from that to a full world that is online 24/7... yeah, I call it a difference.

Also Call of Duty has persistent characters and progression, so you want to tell me that a Fantasy CoD would be same genre as Guild Wars 2, regardless of one being a FPS and the other being a MMORPG?

Sorry, I disagree. I place GW2 in same genre as WoW, EQ2, etc. an MMORPG. Diablo is an Action RPG. other games of the same genre are Torchlight, Sacred, Path of Exile, Throne of Darkness and many more, but not WoW or EQ. If you think differently, well *shrug*. In the end, the only thing they have in common is: you pay just the box and you need to be online to play. Assassin's Creed 2 also does that, same genre too?

2. Starcraft is Starcraft. Diablo is Diablo. Blizzard already announced they have no intention to transform Diablo in an E-sport like they did for Starcraft.

So allright, I should have said "Blizzard has no much interest in PvP for Diablo". If they would have, Diablo 3 would release with PvP centric systems and not much PvE if at all, like League of Legend for example.

3. I know what a Coder is, you clearly don't. The fact the product is viable after 7 years of development seems quite proven to me. It sold a bucketloads, it got great reviews and above all: It is technically well done! Animations are smooth, response of your character is solid, everything feel smooth and nice (lag permitting)..... No one is bitching about any of that. The whining is about always online connection, real money auction house and skill tree changes from Diablo 2. Even you.... you want a PvP game... and if this would not be technically well done, what kind of crappy pvp game would it be? the fact you are still looking forward to it should answer your own question.

4. First off, I never called you names. Second off, DLC is a new term, it identifies a certain kind of products. Usually smaller than an expansion and cheaper. You know that ,you are just playing here, so stop doing that if you want a serious discussion.

5. Good. Maybe then they will make something you like.

Finally, how my points are different from yours? Did you gain access to the Cosmic Encyclopedia of Universal Truths and did not tell anyone?

Were you points based on facts and evidence? if so I did not see any. I assumed they were your opinion and I answered in kind.

From what you've written, compared to the other garbage non-sensical crap I've gotten for this bourne out of frustration post of mine, I'll say thank you, and I do apologize if I came off rather chippy with you earlier. 

I do understand how you like this game, as I do too.. For what it is, it does a pretty decent job at...  And to be honest, it was probably better they released the game this way, as opposed to the "try to appeal to everyone but appeal to no one" approach of EA/Bioware and co. with SWTOR.

I just had higher expectations, and I don't know if you felt this too, but there's been a little drought of options lately.. Especially for pvp centric mmo players... But diablo 3 is fun, I just have to put my WoW raid cap on and go and kill a Mob with 4 million HP.

So hopefully in the next few FREE patches, they'll release some arena, maybe add a class or two, and we'll get to square off against Diablo one more time for a legendary 2 handed axe that gives me a better combination of stats instead of 100 intelligence, dexterity and lightning resist :)

Ooooh, no harm done at all.

I can feel your pain for the lack of good PvP MMOs, I so much would like a Wing Commander-like space opera simulator too, but there is not much hope there as well :P Maybe the kickstarter boom might fulfill my gaming itch... I hope you get to fulfill yours too somehow. I would think the boom of those DOTA game might be of use to you, they are not MMOs, but they are clearly PvP-centric and designed around that, so you might want to check them out if you haven't already. (I never played one, so I speak only of what I have heard).

Thanks also to everyone that appreciated my posts, it was very nice :D

Now I am stuck at work (ssssh! don't tell anyone!), but I foresee a night of demon slaying.... Blizzard's servers permitting :P

So have fun! But never stops the questioning either. People might not agree with this or that version, but it is very healthy to asks and questions and doubts.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Trollsberg, ILPosts: 489Member

Nah i dont think anyone needs to try to negativly impact a mmorpg launch...just like SWTOR was suppose to be the next big one...so will GW2...and when people realize that "endgame starts at level 1" is just another word for nothing special to do at endgame...since everyone will race to endgame and blow through all the content ina week or two.

It was good timing on the OP's part to make a thread like this...since GW2 is the new "holy mmorpg" that is going to be the best game "evar" prior to release...and a lot fo the deciples of that game are here playing D3 waiting for their messiah to launch...

Ill probably jump into GW2 once reality sets in, mabey a year after launch.  Not in the mood for warhammer 2.0 right now anyway.

On a side note..they better not make inferno easier...especially for those of use with jobs ect and are not there yet.  Let the kids with infinite free time get fustrated and quit, will improve the community.

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member

So this is what I'm thinking....

In January of this year GW2 gives a little hint that they'll be releasing the following year around the same time... Then, in early April ArenaNet starts offerring Open-Beta testing with pre-orders, followed by the April 27th open beta weekend.  Blizzard most definitely got themselves a copy and after playing it come to the realization that GW2 is a lot closer to release than what was previously indicated... So they panicked.. 

They knew that if GW2 were to release before Diablo III, which for all intensive purposes can be considered direct competition, that it  would ultimately hurt D3s initial release sales.  So they go into "worst case scenario" mode, realizing their own game in its current development state is going to be lacking seriously.  Sensing a June-ish release date from GW2, they have no choice but to release a partially done game.. 

So development realizes that they're going to have to figure out a way to deliver the game in a piece by piece method, while also ensuring that the masses wont just tear through their unfinished game.  They decide to scrap trying to figure out pvp balancing, and focus on finishing up the overall PVE content itself.  This might be a stretch, but I bet they brought in some coders from WoW (why the game has similar graphics), and tried to polish/debug what they had for a release. 

As a means to slow down people from utterly ripping through the content, they just make inferno mode impossible for the layman player. They also reduce the drops so as to be able to figure out the best way to implement the RMAH.  The DRM is also a pretty good method of artificially controlling people from getting to the end point (a single player offline mode allows people to choose whether to update their game) ..

Thinking along this path, you can kind of get a better scope as to how Blizzard is maximizing their sales.  The tragedy in all of this is that all of us basically paid full price to rent (DRM means you DO NOT own it) a partially finished game.  The greater insult is that most of us will probably also pay to purchase DLCs piece by piece, until Blizzard decides to actually make right on their committment in providing an adequate version of Diablo 3.  I'm thinking they intend on milking us for about $150-200 for their full, envisioned finished product. 

This is why that petition is so important. The more signatures that the petition gets, the higher likelihood that a class action suit will be filed, and the greater the chances that Blizzard does NOT charge its playerbase for paying for their own failures.  Not to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but if you honestly think that this game is anywhere near complete in its current state, with the DRM, as well as the lack of pvp, proper balancing, and the broken AH, then I'm sorry, but you should really take a seriously better look. 

So what do you guys think? Am I some crazy conspiracy theorist? Or does this make some sense?

injenu.

i really dont see why people are so angry with not accessing diablo 3? in wow whenever an expansion is near servers fall and sky fall but i never see such criticism despite the fact that people have paid for their subscriptions . just a thought . i may be wrong though .

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by TheVamperic
    Originally posted by davinci179

You clearly could not comprehend what I wrote but thats understandable coming from a person who thinks they should be able to sue a company for his opinion of a bad game. I never said I made a bunch of bad decisions. I said I have purchased bad games I am pretty sure this goes for all gamers. How is that anything related to bad decisions I have made? Where do I say Diablo is simple for me? Nope did not either. However, I will state it here that in comparision to many MMORPGS Diablo is a simpler more mindless game that is definately more forgiven of mistakes. (Unless you play on hardcore even then the game mechanics still tend to be a bit more simple then MMORPGS). But what does that have to do with my point? It does not Diablo 3 feels very much the same as Diablo 2. While I am on topic Diablo 2 acutally had plenty of patches to improve the game and an expansion for added content. So by your theory Diablo 2 was unfinished as well. Bottom line is you are just complaining to complain. Diablo 3 did not promise anything they did not deliver on. The fact that the game is on battlenet and requires an internet connection was known before you purchased the game. And with all internet based games there are times of instability.

As far as child left behind? Uh funny I was thinking the same about you. Lets sue some a company and cry about it because a game is not how we want it. The gear is too hard to farm boo hoo. The AH houses do not work right. The game is down so I can not play right now. Cry some more. I am sure all of this stuff is what sent you into NERD rage. I have a college degree. I actually graduated with honors. So acutally yea I might be a good example for No child left behind, but as an example of someone who knows what its like to work for what they get. I never bought gear in Diablo 2 on ebays and I had plenty of high level and maxed characters with good gear. I never bought gold in MMOs. I play games for fun. And I understand there are bad games out there. Diablo 3 might be one of them for you. You are entiled not to like it. But to think you can come up with a class action law suit is, as I called you before, idotic. 

You can not write for shit,  I shall mention. Why does it displease you so much that someone wants their $60 back, which it was they paid for a game? Your offered statements hold no merit on reality, they are colored by your own perspective, and it is in fact true your beliefs do not reflect any "laws of the wilderness". Statements such as "Diablo 3 feels like just D1 and D2 to me" just represent an opinion relative only to you, one that is even amazingly present despite so many elements from D2 that are absent in D3. From what I can judge, you are a moron, please become familiar with the concept that your imagination does not reflect any kind of common reality, your beliefs and ideas are founded on nothing, except for the grounds "For I will it.", and your belief about how people should think in this regard is nothing but something incepted by yourself to furfill particular emotional needs.

dude calm down .everybody makes mistakes lol . no need to get angry :)

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Asheville, NCPosts: 366Member

Somebody is mad they bought the game.......

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy SINGAPOREPosts: 186Member

I dont think the game's release was a one-sided affair. As much as you'd like to think it was a business decision, i'm more inclined to believe they are working TOGETHER to , as much as possible, not take a piece of each others' "pie". You'd be surprised but these large companies be it the gaming industry or any other products/services are aware of each others' existence and competition. To a certain extent, they probably have someone on both sides, high up on the corporate ladder communicating both ways, to decide how best not to rival each others' take of the business profits.

Take graphics cards for example, ATI vs NVIDIA? Not sure about you guys, but if u pay careful attention, they sort of take turns, to release the next "BEST" gcard. Coincidence? i think not. Would not be surprised at the least if they had some form of "agreement" unknown to the consumer public of course.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• teabagteabag london, AKPosts: 118Member

Yes I can see that, amazing that a big fat well known company had ripped up my mate off into misery.

I used to see nothing but greeds, but now they are greedy, ignorance as well as an arrogant bullies.

• BanquettoBanquetto CityPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

1.  Guild Wars 2 is not even the same Genre as Diablo 3? This is very subjective, as you have two games that are both persistent online worlds without subscriptions based in a fantasy type environment.
    Hey, I'm curious to know what you think the word "persistent" means? Because everyone who DOES actually know what it means just sprayed their screens laughing at you saying D3 has a persistent online world
124»