Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man, Mortal Online is absolutely terrible!

Comments

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Uronksur

Because Mortal Online is a product. There are plenty of competing products out there that are demonstrably entertaining. Mortal Online on the other hand has no apparent redeeming features that would ever compell me to sink hours or days as well as money into understanding how to even begin to play the game.

Yet there is nothing out there that looks and plays like it, so IMO, it is worth trying to figure out. It has little competition in the scheme of things, but is extremely hard to market because most folks want triple-A results in their games. Indie is a hard sell, any way you look at it.

Plus, It's just not the kind of game for an 'instant gratification' type, nor the 'what do I do now?' folks.

1. No, just because it is "different" doesn't mean it is worth figuring out. I place a much higher value on my time than that. Simply existing isn't good enough.

2. I'm not looking for instant gratification. I'm looking for a game that gives me a reason to continue after I've tried it out for 3-4 hours instead of wiping it's bloated self from my hard drive.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by ltank
    Originally posted by SHOE788
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

For the OP, MO deosnt have a good tutorial. Thats the truth. Same problem as DF.

Sorry man, but if you're not willing to learn, its better to skip it before a full day cuz your brain probably can't handle that kind of learning curve. 

I can only ask you to try and join a clan to learn from the best. You had to do the same in DF and in most sandbox mmo's. 

It really shouldn't take a full day, half a day, or a work day to learn a game.

Why not? Because you said so?

Because Mortal Online is a product. There are plenty of competing products out there that are demonstrably entertaining. Mortal Online on the other hand has no apparent redeeming features that would ever compell me to sink hours or days as well as money into understanding how to even begin to play the game.

And that's the beauty of individuality, because I have found redeeming, enjoyable qualities in MO that have kept me playing since it launched.  Learning the game, exploring the lay of the land, and not having my hand held at every turn, is a large part of that enjoyment.  It's more rewarding that way, as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone has different ideas of what's fun.  I know that many prefer a game to literally throw entertainment at them in the simplest way possible - exclamations over NPCs' heads, quests marked on mini-maps, etc.  Nothing wrong with that.  I prefer a more immersive game in which rewards me for learning, for figuring things out.  Very few games do that anymore.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If the expansion delivers I will try it out again.  Lets hope it does. . . not sure how they have survived this long actually.  .. and still developing as well.  Fingers crossed.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

1. No, just because it is "different" doesn't mean it is worth figuring out. I place a much higher value on my time than that. Simply existing isn't good enough.

A) I doubt you could even quantify what makes something worth your time, yet complaints are easy to make.

2. I'm not looking for instant gratification. I'm looking for a game that gives me a reason to continue after I've tried it out for 3-4 hours instead of wiping it's bloated self from my hard drive.

B) I doubt you could put to words what you consider 'a reason to continue playing', though it's satisfying to state you consider 3-4 hours of aimless wandering around enough gameplay to suit wiping the game from the HDD and never looking back.

I sincerely consider Mortal Online one of the best games out there that is "Cool to Hate".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Mortal Online is hard to get into because of the rpkers, bugs, lack of tutorial. But when you get past that, it is really a uniqie experience. The game(including the upcoming expansion) has features that no mmo in the near future offers. It may be "indie" quality, but I still have fun and happily pay for it.  It's not for everyone, simple as that. 

I'll also add that mortal online is the only mmo i've played in a looong time that gives me the sense that I'm in a game world. There is politics, crusades(deathshroud knows about that =P), bandits, mercenaris, roleplayers (imagine that in an mmorpg), and so much beyond all this standard themepark crap. There is no dynamic events needed in thsi game, because the players shape the world themselves. And thats the beauty of sandboxes.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by jadedlevir

Mortal Online is hard to get into because of the rpkers, bugs, lack of tutorial. But when you get past that, it is really a uniqie experience. The game(including the upcoming expansion) has features that no mmo in the near future offers. It may be "indie" quality, but I still have fun and happily pay for it.  It's not for everyone, simple as that. 

I'll also add that mortal online is the only mmo i've played in a looong time that gives me the sense that I'm in a game world. There is politics, crusades(deathshroud knows about that =P), bandits, mercenaris, roleplayers (imagine that in an mmorpg), and so much beyond all this standard themepark crap. There is no dynamic events needed in thsi game, because the players shape the world themselves. And thats the beauty of sandboxes.

I imagine it gets rather better. I just don't have the inclination to devote that much time when there are plenty of other adequately entertaining games that have enormously better new-player experiences. And really, it doesn't help that their homepage has broken HTML code and basic spelling errors. But maybe that's just a nitpick. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if it was F2P certainly, but it isn't anything near what I'd spend money on.

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

And really, it doesn't help that their homepage has broken HTML code and basic spelling errors. But maybe that's just a nitpick.

I dont think its nitpicking at all, that gives a glimpse into how Starvault operates as a whole.  They lack professionalism and everything appears to be broken/half-assed.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I am curious to hear about those unique features that actually add something to the gameplay, name a few? Also, you name that dynamic events are not needed.. which is funny, devs have been trying to organize one every few months or so, so far failing with most :P

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

I imagine it gets rather better. I just don't have the inclination to devote that much time when there are plenty of other adequately entertaining games that have enormously better new-player experiences. And really, it doesn't help that their homepage has broken HTML code and basic spelling errors. But maybe that's just a nitpick. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if it was F2P certainly, but it isn't anything near what I'd spend money on.

thats 1 of my issues with mmos of late, many have great initial experiences and starting areas like AOC for example but after 1 mnoth of play turn into the same stupid ass game were you grind through raids attempt mindless pvp and max your char to x level. They arent fun imo MO is the opposite the newbie first experienve sucks balls but after the intial month the game gets better the more you know.i like games that reward patience and whilst you certainly need alot of patience to play MO in its current state it is a rather unique mmorpg expereince with the features it combines together.

Over the past 2 years i have spent more of my time playing indie games than anything from any of those big companies, Legend Of grinrock, Trine2, Mortal online, red orchestra 2, warband, ufo extraterrestrials, amnesia, minecraft, dayz, these have been the games taking up my time, skyrim aswell being the only big budget game that i actually enjoyed after all the hype. Big publishers just dont seem to be trying anymore.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Toferio

I am curious to hear about those unique features that actually add something to the gameplay, name a few? Also, you name that dynamic events are not needed.. which is funny, devs have been trying to organize one every few months or so, so far failing with most :P

The problem with answering your question is you will discount a feature that someone names based on your opinion, saying it doesnt add to gameplay when someone else thinks it does. Ive seen it done too many times from too many mo-haters.

Dynamic events make MO more fun, tis true.

• KawotaKawota Member Posts: 16

I was looking at the game closely at launch, but most reviews told it failed hard that time, with tons of bugs, lag an no real sandbox features - just FFA PVP and equipment crafting. So even though I like the idea of fantasy sandbox mmo, that time I decided to ignore the title. Then I tried the free trial last autumn, but suddenly got too busy to explore the game, so I wasted it.

My question is: has it improved since then? Are there new sandbox features? Is it playable bugwise? And will I be able to get another free trial :)?

Originally posted by xDayx

The problem with answering your question is you will discount a feature that someone names based on your opinion, saying it doesnt add to gameplay when someone else thinks it does. Ive seen it done too many times from too many mo-haters.

Dynamic events make MO more fun, tis true.

I mentioned "adding to the gameplay" to avoid such features as nudity or horse peeing. Until devs find ways to balance crafting out, so there are more than a dozen viable alternatives when it comes to armor and weapons I would as well question how much the rich crafting system adds to the gameplay if it isnt being used to its full potential.

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98
    Until devs find ways to balance crafting out, so there are more than a dozen viable alternatives when it comes to armor and weapons I would as well question how much the rich crafting system adds to the gameplay if it isnt being used to its full potential.

Not that balancing is not needed, but you are totally missing why the system is a good one.

Anyway, I used to see statements about 3 viable options on these forums, so if we're now in the dozen area, someone is making progress :D

Originally posted by realnaste
    Until devs find ways to balance crafting out, so there are more than a dozen viable alternatives when it comes to armor and weapons I would as well question how much the rich crafting system adds to the gameplay if it isnt being used to its full potential.

Not that balancing is not needed, but you are totally missing why the system is a good one.

Anyway, I used to see statements about 3 viable options on these forums, so if we're now in the dozen area, someone is making progress :D

Now I'm curious, what am I missing that makes the system so great? I thought the whole point is having free choice and alternatives, with current game design making a fair amount of those obsolete. 

But yes, there is certain progress as not everyone is running around with pigsticks anymore. Am I wrong to suggest there arnt more than dozen viable combinations for weapons, as well as armors that people currently use? By combinations I dont mean materials, but the handle+blade+whatever. When it comes to materials I guess you use what you have access to, little to discuss there.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall

This "game" felt like a side-project a HS student and his friends made.  It *really* is THAT bad.

....that's because it is :D

it's definately buggy, but once you get into it there is just not much like it out there. still i do agree it's very horribly coded.

It's not just buggy.  It's missing anything remotely resembling a fully working video game.  Character feedback is non existant except for your first person view which has a really strange field of view aspect.  Sound...if there even is any, is atrocious and seems to be non existant as well.  The UI and info on what is happening to you or around you in the world....is just horrible and also basically non existant.  How anyone can possibly play this game past the first 10 minutes or so....you must like "pain" in all its various forms.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Who needs a working game when they got peeing horses and a bunch of naked men running around together, showing off their manhood?

Harbinger of Fools
  • argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Kawota

I was looking at the game closely at launch, but most reviews told it failed hard that time, with tons of bugs, lag an no real sandbox features - just FFA PVP and equipment crafting. So even though I like the idea of fantasy sandbox mmo, that time I decided to ignore the title. Then I tried the free trial last autumn, but suddenly got too busy to explore the game, so I wasted it.

My question is: has it improved since then? Are there new sandbox features? Is it playable bugwise? And will I be able to get another free trial :)?

Kawota to answer your questions i can say that yea the game improved since launch but unfortunately has a lot of issues that sometimes making it a total mess to play and very frustrating experience bug wise. Well bug wise its playable if your patience allows it to be. Mine doesnt. For example i can live with the open world pvp aspect and the full loot system of the game but i really cant handle dying due to bugs or losing my hard earned staff due to the fact that my pet is getting stuck every now and then. Its frustrating to know that enormous amounts of matterials that are hard to get are ingame cause of dupers, that its common for many bad apples to bypass game mechanics only to get an advantage in pvp and that SV even now after 2 years is failing on certain things like hiring professionals and instead having in key jobs people from within community that they dont hesitate to show favoritism to people or guilds that have afiliations with. The game itself is glitchy, unexpected downtimes, restarts and crashes still happens several times midday even though its not as often as it was around launch. And finaly yes you are able to have another trial if you make a new account and use a different e-mail than the one you used at your previous one.

Hope it helps a bit and it would be nice to come back in here and share your opinion once you try the game and have an opinion about how is it nowdays or even after Awakening.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I'm a bit tired of the "it's not for everyone" argument. Most people who are dissatisfied with MO are not WoW kids looking for dumbed-downed gameplay, handholding and safe PvE. Rather, they are sandbox fans looking for a challenging game, but instead of that they get a broken one.

So could you MO fans please stop pretending that anyone who is critical of MO is afraid of PvP, too dumb and lazy to understand complex features, too easily bored, etc. MO is not an empty game because it's "hardcore", it's empty because it fails at what it's attempting to do and because it's run by amateurs.
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

The deal is that it is playable and is nowhere near as buggy currently as some people on this forum make it out to be. Most of those people haven't played the game in a long time so they hang on to stale arguments and you have to learn to recognize that they are just opinions and not facts. I'm not saying there are no bugs, every game has bugs. What I am saying is the bugs that do exist are generally minor things that can be overlooked unless you are a total bug nazi.

I've never died to a bug and as far as I know never crashed due to one but I don't play the game hardcore like some people do. Currently the game actually IS a lot about FFA PvP and crafting there is PvE but the AI is basically non existent and there are limited types of monsters in the game so it's more like big game hunter online to gather crafting materials rather than an adventure game PvE wise. However that is supposed to change with the next big patch Awakening which will revamp AI for all creatures in the world, add new creatures types and dungeons, revamp the UI and make taming a much more involved profession. They are also rebalancing weapons to make some of the lesser used types more viable.

I wasn't too psyched about the Dawn patch last year but I am for this one since those videos from the Alpha client back in the day of the troll picking up the player and biting his head or the minotaurs charging into people like a bull and knocking them down were awesome. That is supposed to be back with Awakening. See here for more information on the next major patch. If I were you I'd probably wait to come back until then unless you just want to build up your character before hand and be ready for the patch:

http://mortalinfo.com/complete-guide-to-awakening/

Originally posted by Dakeru

Who needs a working game when they got peeing horses and a bunch of naked men running around together, showing off their manhood?

Lol. It takes all types

The deal is that it is playable and is nowhere near as buggy currently as some people on this forum make it out to be. Most of those people haven't played the game in a long time so they hang on to stale arguments and you have to learn to recognize that they are just opinions and not facts. I'm not saying there are no bugs, every game has bugs. What I am saying is the bugs that do exist are generally minor things that can be overlooked unless you are a total bug nazi.

Give me a break!  Then why is Awakening being touted as the patch that will bring the masses back, why are fans in this very thread not playing MO at the moment? Being the "game is so bug free and feature rich"?  *sigh*  Theres a reason Henriks fails quarter after quarter to get the magical "500 more subs to break even" and its has nothing to do with this site or any other. 

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Well for one, in how many games can you go out, blow someones keep up, build your own, freely place player structures (territory towers) to conquer land and take over citites which will allow you to tax your territory and outlaw ppl/control city security in the near future.  All in a persistant world.

As for the crafting, you seem to be only referring to weaponcrafting. How about armorcrafting? Or bowcrafting where their's a high amount of viable bows possible with different combos of materials, different bow types, ect. And each bowcrafter has to tailor the bows to a specific strength so the user can correctly draw the string. Or alchemy, which was a system introduced back in dawn, but took people a little under a year to start  understanding and developing good potions. I suppose this isn't considered good crafting though, the "craft superior might +1 swords till lvl 425 crafting where you stop using crafting" system that most games have is much better.

In how many other games does the metal require actual extraction where you must mine the ore, crush it, run it through attractors,furnaces, grizzlies ect then refine(which is an entire system on its own) it into metals. Then some of those metals can be further process into more advanced metals.

I could list a lot of stuff if you wanted. Like someone else mentioned, the problem is you will just blow off everything, but the game does have unique features that very few (mabye one or two) other mmos currently or will have in the near future.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by ilives

Give me a break!  Then why is Awakening being touted as the patch that will bring the masses back, why are fans in this very thread not playing MO at the moment? Being the "game is so bug free and feature rich"?  *sigh*  Theres a reason Henriks fails quarter after quarter to get the magical "500 more subs to break even" and its has nothing to do with this site or any other. 

These are one of the types of people I was talking about Kawota. They hate the game yet they visit this forum daily to continually remind us that in their opinion MO sucks, we shouldn't play and use non-sequitur responses when they can't refute specific points. After awhile you barely notice them anymore.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

These are one of the types of people I was talking about Kawota. They hate the game yet they visit this forum daily to continually remind us that in their opinion MO sucks, we shouldn't play and use non-sequitur responses when they can't refute specific points. After awhile you barely notice them anymore.

Most of the posters that you are refering to, they dont have anything against the game itself rather than SV which is the worst company ever for known reasons that has being said over and over again. Actually its the exact opposite. People are interrested on MO but Henrik and the kindergarden crew keep on repeating the same mistakes, telling the same lies and deceiving masses to gain a few subs. If the case was that people hate MO no one would bother posting and instead all of us we could stay behind and have some good laughs while watching "mercenaries" talking about 20.000 subs< about developers being close to the community< about how fun it is to play MO in its current state and praise a frustrating, shallow and useless bugfest just cause they see potential  in it or for their very own reasons.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Personally I'd rather rally against themepark companies. Yes, you can complain about Adventurine, and Starvault, etc about being slow, or promising more than they can deliver, not fixing bugs, but at least they are trying to make games that dont hold your hand. 

Im not saying that constructive criticism is bad. Im saying that I was more disappointed with a company like Sony or Trion or Blizzard, than I was any of the niche game companies. Star Vault at least has the no-money excuse. Blizzard has no excuse for putting out un-inspiring mmo's.

This discussion has been closed.