Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Keep Playing

Comments

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

Good article and I totally agree. Once 1.3 hits and transfers are available this little rut the game is in will be over.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

1. Good story

2. Good graphics

3. Good classes

4. Most whiners are gone (back to WoW or Diablo no doubt ;))

5. It's getting better and thank god for server transfers. :)

Hate it if you want but there's plenty who still play and it is just getting better and better.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by observer

MMORPG.com should just stop featuring this game.  That's how bad it is right now.  It's not even worthy of being called an MMO.

Thats only your point of view, is still the most populated and successful MMO post wow and it keep growing, live with it. But agree MMORPG.com should stop making reviews about swtor, this site is full of haters who know nothing about the game, and just want to see tor  fail. For the last 6 months we have read the hate towards swtor in this site from the community 24/7, gw2 fanboys, sanbox lovers, and people who just dont like the game but they keep trying to convince everyone that the game is just bad. Dear haters, you are a vocal minority, swtor is alive, they have an insane amount of content for the following months and an exp in the 1st year, and even now when most of the servers are light, they keep selling more copies per week than any other p2p MMO in the market, all these ¨swtor is doomed¨, ¨the game is drying¨ etc etc and etc posts and comments will vanish once again  with the free transfers and the 1.3 update, when we will find that actually people is back  to the game, why? because the people who is actually playing the game know what everyone want and is waiting, and all of that is coming pretty soon. At the end haters gonna hate, and even when they know deep in their souls how wrong they are, the hate will be around here. 

I stopped reading when you said SWTOR was the most populated and successful MMO post WoW and that it was growing... SWTOR it dying fast, really fast, this isn't from a haters perspective, don't you read what EA posts or statistics any site posts?

Rift was more successful, they've made tons of money since releasing because they did not have a ginormous budget like SWTOR and the company has held loyal subscribers.

Also, when Aion released combining it's playerbase in the West and East it had far more players than SWTOR will ever  come close to achieving, so no, SWTOR was not the biggest MMO since WoW and the only reason it sold over 500k copies is because it had the STAR:WARS IP and EA backing it with ridiculously impressive CG trailers.

So SWTOR is neither the most successful or populated MMO post WoW. Seriously, If the game was called something like  "Space War: Total Annihilation", it would have sold nothing.

Then how come Ive seen multiple sites say that its been the most successful mmo since wow. I guess ill just have to take your word for it then...

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by DarnRight

1. Good story

2. Good graphics

3. Good classes

Hate it if you want but there's plenty who still play and it is just getting better and better.

They yellow does not agree with the red.  That is all. 

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I don't see any reason to insult the intelligence of the OP, however....

I went through the entire game's content and you will never get me to go back.

They blew it when they made PVP a total waste instead of something to look forward to.

Then they blew it when they made it so easy to get to 50 that you had to AVOID PVP and heroic quests... and all of the rewards from them.

Then they blew it by making post 50 game play a conglomeration of the worst parts of the rest of the game.

3 major patches since i left and none of those major game breaking items have even been addressed.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Kabaal

It’s Star Wars!

That was enough to try the game, not to keep playing.

Free Transfers & Permanent Free Trials are Coming!

They're a reason to resub once they appear, not to keep playing.

PvP is Fun*

PvP is fun, but it so limited in TOR that it's more repetitive than anything else.

Playing With Others

I can do that in any other game. In TOR it cant be done unless re-rolling to one of the most populated servers, which are also now rapidly losing numbers of people online. *see Free Transfers

Expanding Your Legacy

Legacy is one of those tacked on features that mean nothing other than some stuff we don't need. My Legacy level is already 50 and i gain nothing more than someone who has a Legacy of 25 and even it gave nothing of worth other than the multiple group buffs.

What you said.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by mcburly

Then how come Ive seen multiple sites say that its been the most successful mmo since wow. I guess ill just have to take your word for it then...

Money talks.

Aion had 3.5million subscribers just in the East.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Money talks.

lol I love this site. The conspiracy theorists and utter hatred towards SWTOR is hilarious.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

This is tiresome. Why are some people incapable of discussing SWTOR in any respect without devolving to bickering over whether or not the game is successful?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

5 reasons to keep playing, 50 reasons not to...and im being nice because its missing and lacking in far more than 50 things.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    [mod edit]

Amusingly enough, it's about as much of an MMO as every other themepark that's come out in the last 10 years.  It just had better stories than most.

The 5 reasons given in this article are about as forced as I've seen, and stretch the limits of credibility, especially with questionable reasons like "It's Star Wars", "Play with Others", and "For the PvP".  But, seriously, almost no themepark game offers much of a legitimate reason to play it long-term.  Almost all of them are contrived, repetitive junk.

SWTOR is average/lackluster, but it's not the worst themepark offender in recent memory.  And it does have good single-player storylines.  Unfortunately, the stories end, and end abruptly, leaving nothing more than the vapid themepark staples many players have long since grown tired of.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49
    How true when the autor wrote " it's not as expansive as Star Wars Galaxies". Lucas Arts made a huge mistake by not letting SWG go F2P and of course, SOE just doesn't have a clue. I miss and still mourn the only MMO that had amazing housing, crafting, and community. SWTOR has none of those and it's far too late to rectify the first two, and as game mechanics actually prevent community formation, well, there is always Huttball.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Rohn

SWTOR is average/lackluster, but it's not the worst themepark offender in recent memory.  And it does have good single-player storylines.  Unfortunately, the stories end, and end abruptly, leaving nothing more than the vapid themepark staples many players have long since grown tired of.

I think that people are more critical of it because of the widely popular IP and the fact that the game was developed by BioWare and financed by EA. What we got was mediocre at best, when SWTOR should have been one of the best MMOs on the market.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Rohn

I think that people are more critical of it because of the widely popular IP and the fact that the game was developed by BioWare and financed by EA. What we got was mediocre at best, when SWTOR should have been one of the best MMOs on the market.

I think you're right - huge IP, enormous amount of money spent by major developers - it had high expectations to meet.  Probably unrealistically high.  Farther to fall and all that.

It'll also have SWG's ghost haunting it forever, which isn't exactly fair.  Different games, different game companies.

It's an average game, and will probably get better over time.  Most do.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please remain on topic in the discussion. The topic is the SWTOR list and not our editorial policy or EA in general. If you want to make suggestions or post feedback about our editorial policy or structure, please do so in the Site Suggestions forum, where there's a thread for that purpose.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Sorry its time to crash and burn SWTOR. There is no way this will drive up the population atleast not in any permanent way. Gamers, MMO Gamers specifically are the most Unforgiving type of consumer. SWTOR was doomed before it launched, and it NEEDS to die to revitalize the Genre and prove we dont want the same old crap, and developers cant spend nearly 300 million to create a copy of a game that only cost ~50 million.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I actually liked the game while I played it, but the article did not highlight reasons that would be good enough for me to start playing again. I'm not sure what would get me to play again. It seems like I could get the stuff they're adding to the game from any number of games, just without the Star Wars IP. Games that are free to play.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Good article and I totally agree. Once 1.3 hits and transfers are available this little rut the game is in will be over.

That's the spirit, where there's life there's hope and all that, chin up and wipe away any stray tears.
  • EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49
    How true when the autor wrote " it's not as expansive as Star Wars Galaxies". Lucas Arts made a huge mistake by not letting SWG go F2P and of course, SOE just doesn't have a clue. I miss and still mourn the only MMO that had amazing housing, crafting, and community. SWTOR has none of those and it's far too late to rectify the first two, and as game mechanics actually prevent community formation, well, there is always Huttball.
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

This article is just troll bait.

It's a trap!

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

There's reasons to keep playing this game?Thats news to me.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Tardcore

The game is only six months old, I know this, so before some of the more rabid fans come read this and fly off the handle, think about this. I'm not criticizing SWTOR as much as I'm criticizing the near-sighted people that gave this game praise such as the best MMO of the year award in the first month of game launch. How the bloody hell can "The Best MMO of the Year" go from a forecast two some odd million subscribers by six months, to subs in decline, numerous free trial weekends, staff lay offs, players begging for server mergers, game free to play to level fifteen, and last but not least, some of the same peope who said this game was the bees knees having to create a top five list on why the game is STILL WORTH PLAYING!!!??

This.

The article just confirmed for me that there is no reason to play this game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by DarnRight

1. Good story

2. Good graphics

3. Good classes

Its so good it took a backseat to EA. I guess fanboys will always be fanboys. Wake up kid, this game is nothing more then a turd waiting to be flushed.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Five Reasons to Keep Playing

Not really.  Perhaps, if they continue to flesh it out for some years. Currently it is a good single player game, going online. I'm through, nothing to add.

• BorickBorick Member Posts: 38

Five Reasons to Continue Playing SWTOR:

5.  Here is a broken beer bottle with a wookie etched on it.  Give me ten dollars.

4.  Many geeks in Austin have died to bring us these plans.

3.  Electronics Arts is a viable company with a history of well-managed MMO projects.

2.  Diablo III server is down and it's a free weekend and you hate yourself.

1.  F**k you.  You'll buy it.