Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: Pandaria Rising

Comments

• ZeGermanZeGerman Andover, MAPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by aktalat

I've never really enjoyed WoW being more an SWG player. With what I've seen of SW:TOR (cry) and TSW (I was in beta weekend) and Guild Wars 2, my expectation for Mists of Pandaria are simple:

World of Warcraft with it's Mists of Pandaria expansion will be the supreme MMO game for at least the next decade if not longer.

Simply put all the competition out there is so unoriginal and lacking, it's looking more and more like WoW is here for a long, long time. SW:TOR is depressing, Guild Wars 2 has fun features (much like Rift has some fun features) but I just can't see it beating World of Warcraft. Again I don't even play WoW but everything else out there is taking years and years to develop and just sucks. The only original game I've seen in the last couple of years is Minecraft, and that's not even an MMO.

Congrats to Blizzard and World of Warcraft, your 'competition' is so lackluster you are going to stay the dominant game for years and years to come. Kudos!

I lost all respect for your oppinion when you refered to minecraft as original.  Mine craft is simply legos on a computer so adults don't feel childish when they use it.  Not to mention minecraft is just a production spin off on games that were made for years, i don't even mean shitty games i mean decent games that were intentional meant to be small games cause noone believed adults would be stupid enough to enjoy them.

Originally posted by Isane
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I've never really enjoyed WoW being more an SWG player. With what I've seen of SW:TOR (cry) and TSW (I was in beta weekend) and Guild Wars 2, my expectation for Mists of Pandaria are simple:

World of Warcraft with it's Mists of Pandaria expansion will be the supreme MMO game for at least the next decade if not longer.

Simply put all the competition out there is so unoriginal and lacking, it's looking more and more like WoW is here for a long, long time. SW:TOR is depressing, Guild Wars 2 has fun features (much like Rift has some fun features) but I just can't see it beating World of Warcraft. Again I don't even play WoW but everything else out there is taking years and years to develop and just sucks. The only original game I've seen in the last couple of years is Minecraft, and that's not even an MMO.

Congrats to Blizzard and World of Warcraft, your 'competition' is so lackluster you are going to stay the dominant game for years and years to come. Kudos!

I certainly don't think either will take out WoW, but frankly TSW and GW2 both appear to be pretty different compared to the norm to me. I believe both of those games will do quite nicely in their own right. Well...assuming Funcom isn't pulling another AOC and TSW ends up being  an absolute mess further into the game. I wouldn't say either of those games is even remotely lackluster. Hard to gauge how well they will do though since we haven't seen the whole game yet of either. TSW will probably be niche with a steady retention if they are good with updates and don't fuck up the launch. GW2 is going to be a juggernaut. Whether people like it or not.

Both TSW and GW2 will have no real longevity /Depth and generate little or no community and as such they will be 3 month have a look games work through the content and throw away.

Until people developing MMOs realise that for games to form real communities you do not need to automate 90% of Gameplay elements out of the game....

Guilds do noty make a community and investment in a game world they actually equate to self effacing elements which work against people , really wanting to be part of a world.

Good hack and slash but little more ; they cannot compete against something with excess content but in reality still lacking with respect to a well rounded game world. Where end game seems to be a poor excuse for what could have been good design up front.

No you miss the real issue, good community comes from people keeping open minds and trying to really play a game.  WoW's community was built by old school gamers from the everquest SWG generation, people who kept open minds when they tried a game whether they thought it would be trash or not.

WoW has not been dethrone'd because the gaming community has decided that change is bad and if the game is not WoW its not good without really playing it through.   I garentee that if you took most of those players and sat them down with a completely reskinned WoW they would hate it.  Moaning about how it isn't as good as WoW, Aion is the case and point. 

Aion was not well made but it was certainly not as terrible as it was treated when compare to WoW, they really were quite similar in mechanics and automated play style

• OldManFunkOldManFunk BFE, KSPosts: 894Member
    Originally posted by Isane

Both TSW and GW2 will have no real longevity /Depth and generate little or no community and as such they will be 3 month have a look games work through the content and throw away.

MoP will have no real longevity /Depth and generate little or no community and as such people will spend 1 month looking at the new "content" and then go back to queueing up in the new hub.

Originally posted by GreenHell
    Originally posted by Centhan

...very serious group of contenders in 2006...toughest challenge yet from Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2007...toughest challenge yet from Lord of the Rings Online.
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2008...toughest challenge yet from Age of Conan
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2008...toughest challenge yet from Warhammer Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Darkfall
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Champions Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Aion
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2010...toughest challenge yet from Star Trek Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from DC Universe Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from Rift
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from Star Wars: The Old Republic
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2012...toughest challenge yet from TERA
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2012...toughest challenge yet from Guild Wars 2

...you may be right.

LOL..it's so true. So many times I have heard  the "WoW killer" cry on these forums only to have WoW steam roll the competition time and time again.

I can agree that it is MMORPG's job to hype games but honestly before RIFT did anyone actualy expect those games to beat WoW?  and frankly WoW is already a shadow of what it was 2 years ago, the market has already spread out even without this new batch of games.

• ZagavaVonnZagavaVonn Akron, OHPosts: 249Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZeGerman

I lost all respect for your oppinion when you refered to minecraft as original.  Mine craft is simply legos on a computer so adults don't feel childish when they use it.  Not to mention minecraft is just a production spin off on games that were made for years, i don't even mean shitty games i mean decent games that were intentional meant to be small games cause noone believed adults would be stupid enough to enjoy them.

And I lost all respect for you when you went completely off-topic and tried to change this thread from World of Warcraft to your own odd diatribe / rant about Minecraft.

Plus the fact that Minecraft is hands-down the most important game of the last 5+ years, an indie game with millions of fans around the world doing spectacular things in-game. Notch, the programmer for Minecraft, originally worked for free on Wurm Online and has a talented MMO background and skillset which he then used when creating Minecraft.

I could go on, but Miosts of Pandaria is calling me.

• daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,143Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Montaronx
    Hope it fails so hard so that the developers get a hint on how to support their player base for their next game

Support "player base". And you really think any developer can make happy millions of players? That your "player base " complain maybe is something I'm not bothered at all.

• MethiosMethios Brandywine, MDPosts: 157Member
    Let`s be honest no game will ever over throw WoW in the MMO market. Sorry, GW2 is just overhyped sure it will be a decent game heck it might sell 5 million box copies but it will not have a lasting effect like WoW has on MMOs. I am not sure why everyone gets into this clash "What will kill WoW?" the correct answer is father time.

No matter how much you hate WoW and Blizzard the truth is they do it the best just look at the track record the competition in any genre of game they produce they are the best by far.
  • ScalebaneScalebane La Junta, COPosts: 2,225Member

i believe they'll sell  millions of copies just like they have every other xpac.  People say every xpac will be their final downfall and it never happens, maybe you'll be right this time eh? :)

inb4 selling tons of copies doesn't mean its good!  well for all the people that bought it they think its good and that's all that matters.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• DevianeDeviane MTYPosts: 106Member

Fanboys...Fanboys everywhere o_o

new mmos  will not kill WoW  its not   something instant  i like to imagine  that they  bleed  WoW to death(and  it started a while ago WoW numbers are still sky high but not as good as it used to be...its more about asian players now than american players thats  why the asian subject on this expansion)

i do think its  time  for a change i dont hate  blizzard (even if i  dont like WoW and D3 was not THAT good) so i  want them  do another project and put their  experience (aka steal every good idea from other games and put it in their game) and  give us something good to talk about and play

• ZhauricZhauric Houston, TXPosts: 293Member

...very serious group of contenders in 2006...toughest challenge yet from Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2007...toughest challenge yet from Lord of the Rings Online.
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2008...toughest challenge yet from Age of Conan
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2008...toughest challenge yet from Warhammer Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Darkfall
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Champions Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2009...toughest challenge yet from Aion
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2010...toughest challenge yet from Star Trek Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from DC Universe Online
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from Rift
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2011...toughest challenge yet from Star Wars: The Old Republic
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2012...toughest challenge yet from TERA
    ...very serious group of contenders in 2012...toughest challenge yet from Guild Wars 2

...you may be right.

Ugh stop exaggerating. None said all of those games would do as such. The only ones on there that it could have been echoed is SWToR, Warhammer, GW2 and maybe AoC. No one thought anything of the rest of them so you are really exaggerating.

• CenthanCenthan Toms River, NJPosts: 483Member
    Originally posted by Zhauric

Ugh stop exaggerating. None said all of those games would do as such. The only ones on there that it could have been echoed is SWToR, Warhammer, GW2 and maybe AoC. No one thought anything of the rest of them so you are really exaggerating.

None said?  Who's exaggerating?  I'm not even going to bother to point out the "WoW killer" posts before each of those games were released.  So no, I'm not exaggerating. 

All I'm saying is that I now have the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome now when I see the next "WoW killer" hype article.  No, I have no interest in WoW anymore.  Liked it a lot when it first came out, maybe up until the first BC expansion, then I saw where it was headed.

However, I still recall it as being probably the most bug-free MMO I've ever played, and with...what, 10 million subscribers, however you may bend the numbers, it still the biggest thing out there (at least if raw numbers is your measure of a great game).

So please excuse me if I don't get exctied over the 10th+ game about to "kill" WoW.  I would certainly like to see something give it some serious competition so the MMO genre could get a REAL breath of fresh air.  I just don't think GW2 will do it, but would love it if I were proven wrong.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 New York, NYPosts: 365Member

@ Centhan

Well said bro,

I know for a fact, some person will not play GW2 because they see that without a tank role or class most stuff related to mobs will be a mess.

And because Gw2 is so hype, person will come to realize its the same formula just presented differently, but because its free they'll stay...

Said it before the one to kill wow is gonna be blizzard themselves.. They have that feeling too, that why they are in no rush to release "project titan"...

• UronksurUronksur Redmond, WAPosts: 311Member Uncommon

I hate myself for signing up for that Annual Pass oh so much.

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member

wow will have no problem keeping its 1st position at least for one decade .reason? because the new mmo that is  probably gonna come out will be sci fi or anything closer to that . so people who like eve online will be drawn to it which is a completly different niche . so all in all .it is again win -win situation for blizaard and teh customers :)

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    @ Centhan

Well said bro,

I know for a fact, some person will not play GW2 because they see that without a tank role or class most stuff related to mobs will be a mess.

And because Gw2 is so hype, person will come to realize its the same formula just presented differently, but because its free they'll stay...

Said it before the one to kill wow is gonna be blizzard themselves.. They have that feeling too, that why they are in no rush to release "project titan"...

gild wars 2 is way too overhyped . i have played teh beta .although it is a good game but it is definitely not a killer type.

• prpshrtprpshrt Clarksville, MDPosts: 258Member

All this expansion shows me is that Blizzard is nothing more than a money minded organization that cares very little about what their core player base thinks. It reminds me of nintendo's Wii. Make something gimmicky that they can milk for cash. In this case make something that the billions in china will relate to so they can save their crashing game. Like someone here said. They may still stay supreme king in the MMO genre but that's because they have no competition. Screw the pandas. They're the stupidest goddam idea ever. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a fanboy who deserves to be slapped REALLY hard until they wake up and see the truth

• IgorchtIgorcht Fairport, NYPosts: 82Member

I'm sorry, I really have nothing to say about Pandaria one way or the other, but I have to say this:

Get some freaking proof-readers. I mean, this is supposed to be a legitimate MMORPG news site, is it not? Then how can you allow a piece with so many typos and grammatical errors to make it to the front page?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but jeez, I'm embarassed for MMORPG.com.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 New York, NYPosts: 365Member
    Originally posted by x5100

All this expansion shows me is that Blizzard is nothing more than a money minded organization that cares very little about what their core player base thinks. It reminds me of nintendo's Wii. Make something gimmicky that they can milk for cash. In this case make something that the billions in china will relate to so they can save their crashing game. Like someone here said. They may still stay supreme king in the MMO genre but that's because they have no competition. Screw the pandas. They're the stupidest goddam idea ever. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a fanboy who deserves to be slapped REALLY hard until they wake up and see the truth

You do realize, that what's posting on WoW forums isn't what a majority of the players want...

Fact is, if dev's are to listen to almost eveyone on the forums the game becomes a jumbled mess. 

Also you do know you don't have to pick pandas right..

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance ParisPosts: 1,223Member

"So the question between these two games is will Mists of Pandaria really rock the Warcraft universe? I think there are many factors to the expansion that will. For starters people will absolutely play the pet system game. They will love it and collect them all. You will see pet tournaments and challenges all over Azeroth. This may not be a big deal to hardcore eight year players who have downed every boss in the game. But it is a big deal to much more casual players and more importantly their kids or girlfriends. That aspect alone could net Blizzard more players in an instant. So if you don’t have any faith in the pet system have faith in the fact that Blizzard will do it right and make it fun. That alone will bring the hordes of fans screaming."

Uh,  I would have worded this differently, something on the order of "the new pet combat system might not be a big deal to hardcore eight year players who have downed every boss in the game, but will appeal more to casual players." In your version, you come across as elitest, bordering on mysogenist and ageist not only through how you worded it.

There is also a flaw in your logic: it is clear to me from having played WoW for a long time that those who tend to have lots of pets are usually the hardcore players actually i.e. those who do the hardest dungeons, raid the most often, have the most time to get all of their factions up, etc. Casuals are probably less likely to have the extremely rare pets. There is no evidence to me that pet collecting isn't popular now, without the pet combat system.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes antioch, ORPosts: 679Member

Wow is not bad. it's just a game for little kids now. the simple talent trees the complete dumbing down of all content and mechanics.

I think it's still a good game for kids. my nephews were playing wizrd 101 but my sisters gonna let them play the panda expansion since they love kung-fu panda and po

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member

Really?  The stupidest idea ever?  Stupider than EQII fairies, or Frogs?  You think playing a Panda is stupider than playing a freaking frog?  I really don't know what to say to that.  So someone who plays a Panda in WoW is a kid or child.  Someone who plays a faerie in EQII Is a mature gamer, and whoever plays a frog in EQ is a mature well adjusted individual.  Got it.

• ZagavaVonnZagavaVonn Akron, OHPosts: 249Member Uncommon

"Screw the pandas. They're the stupidest goddam idea ever."

From Beatrix Potter and Peter Rabbit, to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Bugs Bunny, using dopey animal avatars has been standard in literature, writing and games going back hundreds of years. But you suddenly believe this is "the stupidest goddam idea ever"?

Ok I accept your panda challenge, and raise you one Winnie the Pooh image

• OrtwigOrtwig Cambridge, MAPosts: 1,159Member Uncommon

I like and continue to play Warcraft, but not to the extent that I did when I first started -- the main reason for playing it today is to get together with friends and explore content we can't do individually.  That said, I am looking for some fresh ideas in the MMO space, and games like GW2 and The Secret World both show great promise.  I'm planning on playing all three.  We have a wealth of choices to us in MMOs these days, and this can only be a good thing.  Why does any MMO need to "kill" another?  We have so much choice today, and this can only spur the companies to keep improving their games.

• ZibooZiboo Sacramento, CAPosts: 140Member Uncommon

Was agreeing with much of what you said until this statement:

"This may not be a big deal to hardcore eight year players who have downed every boss in the game. But it is a big deal to much more casual players and more importantly their kids or girlfriends."

Glad to know only hardcore gamers are guys. Fail there dude.  I guess women are suppose to only play fluff games and leave the 'real raiding' to guys. WTF?  You definitely dropped a few points on my respect meter.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• ereyethirnereyethirn KaiapoiPosts: 79Member
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sure like to know what game is challenging Wow, certainly don't see any current game doing it.  Guildwars II might, but beyond that game I do not see anything in the near future that will come close.  Yes, MMO players have more options, but when you get down to it, there is just nothing close to the content.  

I agree. When it comes to sheer amount of content, features and robust solid gameplay experience. Then both WoW and EQ2 blow all the competition out of the water. Sadly.

I think GW2 has a shot though, living in New Zealand, where the only mmo people play is wow (at all) Guild Wars 2 is the first mmo I've ever heard of getting decent hype. Lots of people are planning on playing it and thefact that it's free to keep playing once you've bought it is a mojor bonus too. I never though for a second that Aion, Rift, Tor, or any other mmos had a shot, however I reakon guild wars 2 is a real contender...