Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One thing i wish they'd change

ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Im happy about some things, they talk of the world been huge and open and having open dungeons.  There are hints that the crafting is like the single player games, again great.  I know the leveling system of skyrim wouldn't work in a mmo, we have afk swimmers in darkfall as proof of that.

now the PVP, morrowind, skyrim et al.. are single player games, THEY DONT HAVE PVP.  now some people think they should have FFA PVP, but guess what Ultima and Eve appart full on PVP anywhere games DONT SELL.  They could goi the other end and just do wow style instanced crap.  I think they made the right choice going with a DAOC type system, thoose that dont want to PVP can avoid it, thoose that want pcp get something meaningful where they can effect the world.

BUT...

My one major annoyance is classes, for the love of god why have classes in a TES MMO.  I really really hope the devs take a look at either EVE or what Funcom are doing with the ability wheel in The Secret World and use something like that instead.

The main 2 things with TES are - Explore the world go where you want AND make any sort of character you want.  They sound like they have the first part covered, why ruin the freedom of the second part by having Hard Classes.  Also this will make your PVP easier to balance with a skill based system, as players can just go pick other skills from their pool of earned skills rather than wait for their gimped classto get a miracle patch, which would probably save them effort in the long run.

Comments

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Im happy about some things, they talk of the world been huge and open and having open dungeons.  There are hints that the crafting is like the single player games, again great.  I know the leveling system of skyrim wouldn't work in a mmo, we have afk swimmers in darkfall as proof of that.

now the PVP, morrowind, skyrim et al.. are single player games, THEY DONT HAVE PVP.  now some people think they should have FFA PVP, but guess what Ultima and Eve appart full on PVP anywhere games DONT SELL.  They could goi the other end and just do wow style instanced crap.  I think they made the right choice going with a DAOC type system, thoose that dont want to PVP can avoid it, thoose that want pcp get something meaningful where they can effect the world.

BUT...

My one major annoyance is classes, for the love of god why have classes in a TES MMO.  I really really hope the devs take a look at either EVE or what Funcom are doing with the ability wheel in The Secret World and use something like that instead.

The main 2 things with TES are - Explore the world go where you want AND make any sort of character you want.  They sound like they have the first part covered, why ruin the freedom of the second part by having Hard Classes.  Also this will make your PVP easier to balance with a skill based system, as players can just go pick other skills from their pool of earned skills rather than wait for their gimped classto get a miracle patch, which would probably save them effort in the long run.

Full on PVP games sell just fine, as long as they are well made and actually have some money put into creating them.  Just look at EVE for example.  Hell, people's number one reason for not playing EVE is that they "don't want to be a spaceship" or some nonsenes like that from what I hear.  Problem is that no one makes full on PVP games because of WoW.  Developers think WoW is what everyone wants, so they make more WoW's.  Thank the Chaos Gods for SWTOR's horrible failure. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

for every 1 person that hates pvp ..theres 1 that loves pvp

i for on love pvp and hate carebear games ...its why they make pvp servers and what i call "carebear servers" pve

you can have both ..just cuz you dont like something does not mean they shouldnt have it or have done it

and +1000000000000 to them if they have a ffa pvp server..but no1 ever goes that way nowa days cuz the generation has changed to easy mode battle ground type pvp / arenas

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

BUT...

I don't know much about TSW other than it isn't a phenomenal success. So basing your game design off theirs wouldn't be a good idea right off the bat. Secondly, as you can see by the annoying example of SWTOR that basing your game design off someone elses just because it worked for them doesn't mean it works for you.

PvP balance is key to any game that has it in any significant way. So to get it right and balanced is more important than having the novelty of the SPG into the MMO space.

You also don't know much about EVE if you don't think it has hard classes. The class is determined by the ship you fly. That is the equivelant to your skills being tied to equipment in TES.

I'm kinda glad they went that route. The game has such huge shoes to fill that there needs to be enough difference between the SP and MP experience that it isn't viewed as the sequel to Skyrim and more as a new path TES moves in. The less direct comparisons they allow to Skyrim for things that aren't the same or improved, the better. If they know they cant make X function as good in the MMO as it does in the SPG game, then they better alter X to be different enough that a direct comparison isn't made in the mind of the player to think the game isnt good.

The trick they have to pull off is to either allow enough variety of classes to allow for extremely varied playstyles or have enough wiggle room in the classes to make them somewhat bleed into eachother for the variety to still work.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

There are other ways to solve afk swimmers other than getting rid of a skill system completely.

In fact, Fallen Earth is a skill based game and it has no problems with that aspect of the game.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by NightCloak

BUT...

I don't know much about TSW other than it isn't a phenomenal success. So basing your game design off theirs wouldn't be a good idea right off the bat. Secondly, as you can see by the annoying example of SWTOR that basing your game design off someone elses just because it worked for them doesn't mean it works for you.

PvP balance is key to any game that has it in any significant way. So to get it right and balanced is more important than having the novelty of the SPG into the MMO space.

You also don't know much about EVE if you don't think it has hard classes. The class is determined by the ship you fly. That is the equivelant to your skills being tied to equipment in TES.

I'm kinda glad they went that route. The game has such huge shoes to fill that there needs to be enough difference between the SP and MP experience that it isn't viewed as the sequel to Skyrim and more as a new path TES moves in. The less direct comparisons they allow to Skyrim for things that aren't the same or improved, the better. If they know they cant make X function as good in the MMO as it does in the SPG game, then they better alter X to be different enough that a direct comparison isn't made in the mind of the player to think the game isnt good.

The trick they have to pull off is to either allow enough variety of classes to allow for extremely varied playstyles or have enough wiggle room in the classes to make them somewhat bleed into eachother for the variety to still work.

You don't know ANYTHING about TSW never mind "not much". How can a game have failed when it has not even been released yet? The negativity towards almost every game on this site is astounding.