Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Keep Playing

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Try to polish that turd all you want, it's still a smelly turd.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

None of these are reason enough that I would actually continue paying for TOR.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I've never been interested in PvP and, after years of MMOs, I could care less about playing with others.

Bioware doesn't know how to manage this title, period.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

"It's Star Wars!"

Stopped reading there

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by ktanner3

-Server Transfers/Merges should have been ready to go by the three month mark. Any reading up on recent MMO history would tell you that a themepark game has high initial subs and then a steep drop after. Hoping that your game will be the exception(WOW) and ignore this fact is foolish.

The LFG tool and Server Transfers need to happen ASAP because the people leaving now are the people who like it for what it is, but can't play for lack of people

I totally agree. I have always been a supporter of this game, but that is exactly why I left...

They should be totally devoted to getting this done if they want to hold onto the population they have left.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I can't really tell if this is serious or not because that list is just so sad.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I'm only still playing it because there are SO MANY trolls bashing it, it's consistently the most hated game on a large number of forums so anything pissing off that many forum trolls has got to be doing something right...better to have hate than be ignored I say, had it simply faded into obscurity and been completely ignored I might have quit.

Hate is good, hate makes you strong.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Reasons to not play for me:

1)  Game is not fun.

2)  Other games do raiding way better.

3)  Other games do PvP way better.

4)  SWTOR not a priority with EA.

5)  MWO in Beta.

6)  GW2 in Beta.

7)  TSW in Beta.

this

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I remember when this kind of article and the comments it has generated would draw in supporters and believers of the game, rushing to its defense.

*looks around*....I almost feel bad for it, at this point.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

The weekly "grasping for something positive to say about SWTOR" posts are the most entertaining thing about this site.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Skuz

I'm only still playing it because there are SO MANY trolls bashing it, it's consistently the most hated game on a large number of forums so anything pissing off that many forum trolls has got to be doing something right...better to have hate than be ignored I say, had it simply faded into obscurity and been completely ignored I might have quit.

Hate is good, hate makes you strong.

I'm very offended by how much SWTOR sucks.  That is a pretty artistic reason to play a game...because it is just so bad that everyone hates it?  I guess it's kind of like watching an art movie.  It might be able to stimulate your emotions, but it doesn't mean that it is a good time. 

[mod edit]

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

3 - pvp is fun

err no its not, its the same crap as wow

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I like SWTOR. I actually do. I am subscribed to it now and still enjoying it quite a bit. I like it for its own sake and also because nothing else out there that I've played -- not WoW, not Rift, not STO, not GW, not FE, not LotRO -- is, for me, as fun as SWTOR is at present.

But will I keep playing SWTOR for much longer? Probably not.

None of the reasons given by the OP is paricularly compelling, in my case:

(1) The Star Wars IP is nice but, trust me, at $15/month it's not that nice. I can live without it.

(2) Server transfers/free trials are not going to fix what ails this game. Going F2P and building it up as an online SPRPG is the key to success. The game needs to be set up like the orhginal Guild Wars -- as an essentially B2P single-player game with a multiplayer component, where you purchase certain items and/or expansions as they become available.

(3) PvP is not fun (for me, anyway). I never PvP in any game, so this is hardly a reason for me to stay with SWTOR.

(4) Playing with others is, well, hmmm. Probably it's SWTOR's weakest component. Getting to and grouping up with other players is an exercise in frustration that I seriously doubt this new LFG tool is going to alleviate. Bioware should just let players use 3 companions in the planetary heroics (and ultimately the flashpoints, too) and call it a day. SWTOR is becoming less MMO-ish by the day as server populations decrease.

(5) The Legacy stuff is OK, but it is no reason to continue subscribing.

As I said, I like the game, I'm enjoying it -- but keep subscribing? I dunno. Probably not for too long. Bioware has made a pretty decent online Co-Op RPG here, but they're charging a monthly subscription fee to play it.

What'll keep me playing this game is to have Bioware "wake up and smell the coffee"; they need to recognize that they have a perfectly fine online RPG, but they are (over)charging for it. They need to reduce (or cut altogether) the monthly sub fees dramatically, embrace their "inner SPRPG self", and revise and upgrade their game accordingly so it is fully functional as a SPRPG in which you can group with others if you want to and are able to.

I'm giving Bioware/SWTOR till the release of GW2 to do that; if not, then -- poof! -- I'll be outta this game, maybe for good.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I may play SWTOR again if it ever goes F2P.

Especially when you have stuff like GW2 and TSW on the horizon. Then Planetside 2 some time in the future.

• skiwalker998skiwalker998 Member Posts: 3

Are these Dev's stupid, I love this game, (very casual player) but if u raise the level cap, it kills the previous end game content such as raids and operations, this is the correctly wrong direction.

This is going to be the nail in the coffin, and I was previously a rare supporter of this game up till 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I really enjoyed my time in TOR. But that time is over. They made an mmo that ends. I would have liked to play longer, but TOR just isnt built that way, unfortunately.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• GlokyczeGlokycze Member Posts: 9

Well then you should get back to it fast. It will either survive someway (prob. FTP) or die.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

I really enjoyed my time in TOR. But that time is over. They made an mmo that ends. I would have liked to play longer, but TOR just isnt built that way, unfortunately.

this is true..i played for about 2 1/2 weeks and was near close to max lvl and started to relize it played more of like an xbox 360 game with co-op and battle ground type pvp ....then i relized wth am i doing paying 15$ a month for something soo simple and not very entertaining and not much of an mmorpg to begin with

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

REASON 6: You listened to the overblown hype from the game reviewing community that claimed this was the best game ever, and dumped a crapload of money into the collector's edition and a six month sub, only to find to your horror, said reviewers had not spent anywhere near enough time REVIEWING and actually found out what the game was like to live with OUTSIDE the quite good VO content. So you can either keep playing or admit you got suckered and wasted your money.

The game is only six months old, I know this, so before some of the more rabid fans come read this and fly off the handle, think about this. I'm not criticizing SWTOR as much as I'm criticizing the near-sighted people that gave this game praise such as the best MMO of the year award in the first month of game launch. How the bloody hell can "The Best MMO of the Year" go from a forecast two some odd million subscribers by six months, to subs in decline, numerous free trial weekends, staff lay offs, players begging for server mergers, game free to play to level fifteen, and last but not least, some of the same peope who said this game was the bees knees having to create a top five list on why the game is STILL WORTH PLAYING!!!??

I'm sorry to be a bell-end  Mike, I really am, as I like and respect you and the rest of the people who work this site. But I just have to say that this top five list reads about as awfully as the "Crunchy Frog" skit from Monty Python. I don't think SWTOR sucks by any means, in fact as I've always stated I feel the VO content is amazing. Sadly though I feel the rest of the games features are half-assed versions of the same old crap we've had for the past eight years, making this game undeserving of the ridiculously high praise it was given. And in fact I feel this slavish adoration given by the gaming press where no one pointed out the games spots and wrinkles, has helped to kill this game faster than any determined hater ever could.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I admit I am a huge Star Wars Fanboi but even for me, to go back to SWTOR at this point Number 1 on your list would need to be "No monthly subscription".

The game is simply not an MMO in my book, it misses the massively multiplayer part by a long shot and PvP feels like your playing from a lobby system. So to me SWTOR might as well be a single player RPG with co-op and Vs multiplayer components because that is how it feels and therefore I will not pay a monthly fee for that.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

It’s Star Wars!

So was the Star Wars christmas special. So is Star Wars Kinect. 

Free Transfers & Permanent Free Trials are Coming!

Oh goody! That will definitely make the game itself more fun to play.

PvP is Fun*

I haven't played in some time, so I suppose it is possible that it no longer sucks.

Playing With Others

People play in groups outside of Flashpoints and the couple group quests in the starter area before getting companions? Never seen any evidence of this.

Expanding Your Legacy

It's a gimmicky addon. I'd rather them make the actual game good first and then maybe consider adding cross-character fluff.

Is there still absolutely no customization of your ship whatsoever? Can I still find bugs galore? Is player crafting and the marketplace still completely nonexistant? Is PvP you being trapped in a random rotation through warzones with no choice at all? Are the Republic and Imperial classes still such complete clones of each other that the pairings even use the same tooltips and talent trees? 

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

I'm sorry but that is a terrible list of reasons.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

MikeB

You clearly have no idea what "Star Wars" is.

I've played SW:TOR, its not Star Wars.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

My take on that article: I keep hoping this game will get better and I love Star Wars, I just have to stick it out and hope it gets better.

Give it up, there is nothing coming down the line with enough content to fix it.  They made it for the "I want it now crowd" and they have done what they usually do, left after a few months of gameplay.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by observer

MMORPG.com should just stop featuring this game.  That's how bad it is right now.  It's not even worthy of being called an MMO.

Thats only your point of view, is still the most populated and successful MMO post wow and it keep growing, live with it. But agree MMORPG.com should stop making reviews about swtor, this site is full of haters who know nothing about the game, and just want to see tor  fail. For the last 6 months we have read the hate towards swtor in this site from the community 24/7, gw2 fanboys, sanbox lovers, and people who just dont like the game but they keep trying to convince everyone that the game is just bad. Dear haters, you are a vocal minority, swtor is alive, they have an insane amount of content for the following months and an exp in the 1st year, and even now when most of the servers are light, they keep selling more copies per week than any other p2p MMO in the market, all these ¨swtor is doomed¨, ¨the game is drying¨ etc etc and etc posts and comments will vanish once again  with the free transfers and the 1.3 update, when we will find that actually people is back  to the game, why? because the people who is actually playing the game know what everyone want and is waiting, and all of that is coming pretty soon. At the end haters gonna hate, and even when they know deep in their souls how wrong they are, the hate will be around here. 

I stopped reading when you said SWTOR was the most populated and successful MMO post WoW and that it was growing... SWTOR it dying fast, really fast, this isn't from a haters perspective, don't you read what EA posts or statistics any site posts?

Rift was more successful, they've made tons of money since releasing because they did not have a ginormous budget like SWTOR and the company has held loyal subscribers.

Also, when Aion released combining it's playerbase in the West and East it had far more players than SWTOR will ever  come close to achieving, so no, SWTOR was not the biggest MMO since WoW and the only reason it sold over 500k copies is because it had the STAR:WARS IP and EA backing it with ridiculously impressive CG trailers.

So SWTOR is neither the most successful or populated MMO post WoW. Seriously, If the game was called something like  "Space War: Total Annihilation", it would have sold nothing.