Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO news

elder scrolls online was just shown on spike. they said:

up to 200 players online at a time

no dragons in the world

they're staying true to the lore and stories.

3 factions. one in the morrowind area (NE), daggerfall covenant (NW), and Aldemari Dominion (South).

standard interface is gone to make the game more interactive and deep.

questing isn't on rails at all.

older compass is added back in.

story is set in the 2nd era of Tamriel.

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Please tell me 200 is a typo.  If not, then we're back to they are copying ToR on their 200 person zone limit before instancing.

• Originally posted by Ikeda

Please tell me 200 is a typo.  If not, then we're back to they are copying ToR on their 200 person zone limit before instancing.

200 is what they said. i hit record though and am going over the info again. seeing what else they said. will update more in a lil bit. will post in the original post.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

200 players? this game keeps getting worse.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

• ok, i updated the OP with all of the info from the interview.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

200 players?

*prepares douchebag voice*

...weak sauce dude... 

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Ikeda

Its not per server its visible players on screen:
    "ESO will not be in “realtime”, but that is because of very difficult to solve latency issues. The game can support up to 200 players on screen at once"

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

so 200 players per zone basically. i can live with that I guess. you can always enhance/build in that later on if you have enough brain power in your dev team

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by Thorqemada

"ESO will not be in “realtime”, but that is because of very difficult to solve latency issues. The game can support up to 200 players on screen at once"

planetside 2 and guild wars 2 can hold over 500 players in a single zone, so why can't ESO do it? sounds like more cutting of corners to me, their motto should be "it's not possible to do it in an mmo"

He said 200 players online at a time not per zone.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Istavaan

planetside 2 and guild wars 2 can hold over 500 players in a single zone, so why can't ESO do it? sounds like more cutting of corners to me, their motto should be "it's not possible to do it in an mmo"

Its not in Zone, its on screen.

• ChronisChronis Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Istavaan

It is cutting corners.  Well, not really, its more like the team creating the game actually lacks talent as Zenimax hired the cast-offs from various companies, mainly LOTRO.  The team of people doing this were never really game coders, but designers and such, so the talent pool is really thin.  200 players on screen? heh, thats old EQ days....

Oh, as for ESO Lore, well, just suffice it to say your going to find a shit-ton of errors and just made up stuff that does not fit.  Not one person adept in the lore of ES is on the MMO team.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

The game lore is going to be made up, the game takes place 1000 years before the ES series games. The lore they are getting from the main writer of ES so not sure what you are talking about. Research the game before you make yourself look like a dumbass even more. In EQ you couldnt move if 200 players were on screen with all the lag.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

The environments look pretty good, deff some feeling of Oblivion in one of those dungeons I saw. Could be good, could be terrible, will have to see if they make this a gear based game, or keep it skill based. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Fearum

The game lore is going to be made up, the game takes place 1000 years before the ES series games. The lore they are getting from the main writer of ES so not sure what you are talking about. Research the game before you make yourself look like a dumbass even more. In EQ you couldnt move if 200 players were on screen with all the lag.

So we're comparing modern games to games from 12+years ago where hardware was no where near as capable as today?

Planetside 2 devs already did some hardware testing in their Alpha build and found that they could ACTUALLY see 500 models fighting ON SCREEN at any given time without turning into a slide show on a medium build computer.

200 players "online", not "on screen", is also what he said. Sounds like an error to me, but w/e.

Sounds like ESO just keeps getting worse tbh, but I'm somewhat happy that the "Standard interface" for MMOs is gone similar to Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion.

Similarly, we had a 3 guild raid on FippDarkpaw a month or so ago where 243 players show up. I didn't lag AT ALL with a $800 PC I build 2years ago.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

The game looks not bad graphically and

the gameplay sound more toward GW2.

I hope its a B2P lol.

In-game footage is at 2:36:00

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Once you don't have player housing you don't have a modern Elder Scrolls game. This is obviously going to be very much WoW-like. Too bad WoW already exists.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

200 players on-screen at a time? MASSIVE!

My guess is TESO will be hard pressed to get 50 on at one time without lagging out

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

No, the DIRECT quote was 200 people ONLINE at one time.  Period.  Let them come back and say they made a mistake.  

No, the DIRECT quote was 200 people ONLINE at one time.  Period.  Let them come back and say they made a mistake.  

^This

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

No way im going to buy ESO before I got to play a 14day min trial.. this screams swtor all over again,hyper instance,hyper dumb down class gameplay

btw..gota love paid interviews ..or atleast letssuck up to the developer onces..:P

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-the-elder/731255

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

His exact words were, and this was inregards to the question, "how to you classify the art style internally."

"Well, first off it's going to allow 200 players in the game at the same time. Uhm, you know, fighting battles, these huge epic battles."

It was, like a lot of his other answers to questions, a non-answer.

Q: What can we expect on the innovative front?

A: Removal of a lot of the interface to try and make the combat "feel" more real time based and reactionary, you'll be blocking and using stamina.

The art style looks a lot more like WoW then I would have expected from the screenshots they've shown. Buildings and some of the character models have that cartoonish, exagerated look that you would expect to see while playing WoW. ToR actually looks much more original in the art style then ESO does.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

E3 Interview, not certain if it's in that main link:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-the-elder/731254

[Edit]

Same thing that was in the previous link, but it's stand-alone the ESO interview.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by BigCountry

so 200 players per zone basically. i can live with that I guess. you can always enhance/build in that later on if you have enough brain power in your dev team

How do you get 200 per zone from 200 on screen? There could be 1000 standing behind you but you are only seeing 200.

You never know. Until you do.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

very low res textures on the khajiit fur.